Old 07-04-2017, 04:32 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Default Re: What's for Dinner?

It was hot out all day, so we didn't want to drive far and just went to the closest decent place. It's actually pretty good, though, if you order the right things. Like, their basic blue plate Tex Mex is kind of meh, but if you get the Mexican or Cal Mex style stuff, they're really good. It's a super kitschy place, like they have bas relief paintings and stuff, and sometimes mariachis. And they put a giant sombrero on you if it's your birthday, if that poor lady at the table next to us is any indication.

I had carne asada with beans, rice, tortillas, and guacamole, our friend had almost the same (except with spinach and onions, and she always gets a side of green chile everywhere they have it), and Matlock got a big burrito with mushrooms because somehow, that restaurant--the one with the kitschy paintings and sombreros and mariachis--has the best mushrooms ever.

They also have really good agua de Jamaica, which I keep trying to figure out so I can steal their ideas. I'm thinking they might actually put cranberry juice in it.
Thanks, from:
Limoncello (07-04-2017), slimshady2357 (07-04-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 06:25 PM
Crafty Agitator

I wish we had a good Mexican place near us. The one closest isn't bad, but it's not very good either. Most of the Mexican places here bring out the sombrero for your birthday too. :mexican:

The steaks were so tasty last night - just a little salt and pepper, nothing else. I'm going to make a pound cake to go with the strawberries I just bought. Other than that I have no idea what we're having.
lisarea (07-04-2017), slimshady2357 (07-04-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 06:45 PM
ChuckF's sock

There are no good Mexican places around here. :apeno:

Mushrooms on burritos, hummm.

:lemon:..
Thanks, from:
lisarea (07-04-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 07:19 PM
forever in search of dill pickle doritos

A while back we had some leftover olives that were just a little too bitter for eating staight, so Sou made some olive pesto with them and froze it in easy to use amounts. Tonight we used a couple portions and had some very nice olive pesto pasta.
Old 07-06-2017, 02:17 PM
ChuckF's sock

Tonight: teriyaki pork tenderloin, rice, broccoli and cherries

Last Night: this mushy kinda meat purported to be turkey in a grey, congealed, sticky, pasty gravy with a dry crumbly bisquik lump of dough on top. :vomit:

followed by a chocolate pudding with a thick layer of scummy, skin on top, which tasted like banana - but they said there was no banana in it.

Thanks, from:
lisarea (07-06-2017), slimshady2357 (07-06-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 03:17 PM
happy now, Mussolini?

Last night: 2 boiled eggs lightly seasoned with sea salt and a bag of microwave popcorn.

Tonight: homemade Chinese spare ribs, noodles and a tomato cucumber kale salad with sunflower seeds.

Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (07-06-2017), Limoncello (07-06-2017), lisarea (07-06-2017), slimshady2357 (07-06-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 04:53 PM
Captain #EmbraceTheImpossible

I was going to make an enchilada casserole, but Safeway delivery sent me green chillie sauce instead of enchilada sauce. At least they had the chorizo so there's that. I guess I'll have to make it work.
Limoncello (07-06-2017), lisarea (07-06-2017), slimshady2357 (07-06-2017)
Old 07-12-2017, 02:30 PM
ChuckF's sock

Last night we had Chicken soup, roasted chicken with mashed potatoes and green beans & cherries.

Tonight is leftovers of that + a salad and cherries.

Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (07-12-2017), lisarea (07-12-2017), slimshady2357 (07-13-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 02:28 AM

Harissa chicken with shallots, rice, and a green salad with yogurt dressing.

I have no idea how this chicken is going to turn out, but I'm too tired to worry about it.
Thanks, from:
Limoncello (07-13-2017), slimshady2357 (07-13-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 02:29 PM
ChuckF's sock

I googled Harissa Chicken, looks great - all in one pan kinda dinner too, I like that.

Tonight we are having meatloaf - we decided on that because we were going to make hamburgers but we are trying not to eat bread - so meatloaf it is. But strangely, I noticed the Mor-man had bought a loaf of pumpernickel bread yesterday, so I'm really confused.

Thanks, from:
lisarea (07-14-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 02:37 PM
ChuckF's sock

Meatloaf was good. Tonight is turkey sausages, broccoli & cheese, salad and cherries

Thanks, from:
lisarea (07-14-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 12:39 AM

I am making garbage curry out of some chicken, spinach, peppers, and potatoes that I have to get rid of, plus garbage salad with greens, plus some more of those peppers and cucumber I also have to get rid of.

I guess I'll make fresh, unused rice, though.

I GUESS.
Thanks, from:
Limoncello (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 02:03 AM
ChuckF's sock

I had salt n' vinegar potato chips and Perrier for dinner tonight.

Thanks, from:
lisarea (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 02:49 AM
California Sober

bey grilled up burgers on the grill and we ate those with some buns and condiments. Other people ate some too, because they are here playing cards. Well not real cards, magic the gathering cards.

You guys, we are being sorta social. Demented and sad, but social.
Ari (07-31-2017), BrotherMan (07-20-2017), Limoncello (07-20-2017), lisarea (07-20-2017)
Old 07-28-2017, 09:49 PM
Dissonance is its own reward

I've developed a horrible addiction but I regret nothing. Every Friday (hey, that's today, folks! and it's in my fridge already) I cook a medium rare ribeye and steam some brussels sprouts.

I am now in an apartment complex where it's difficult if not impossible to grill anything, so I've mastered the art of pan searing and finishing a steak to a lovely medium rare that's still full of blood. Took a little practice, but yeah.

I have a nice little pile of sprouts and I might even add some garlic toast into the mix tonight since I've worked 11 days in a row and I'm hungry as all fuck right now.
JoeP (07-29-2017), lisarea (07-28-2017)
Old 07-28-2017, 10:22 PM

Actually, I said all that, and it actually is in my fridge, but I think that might wait till tomorrow. Tonight I'm just gonna say fuck it and do something dumb. Going to the mall Wendy's for a baconator. Don't. Give. A. Fuck.

I'll cook that stuff tomorrow. Not like it's gonna go bad.
BrotherMan (07-29-2017)
Old 07-29-2017, 07:38 AM
Servant of the Dark Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatron View Post
I've developed a horrible addiction but I regret nothing. Every Friday (hey, that's today, folks! and it's in my fridge already) I cook a medium rare ribeye and steam some brussels sprouts.

I am now in an apartment complex where it's difficult if not impossible to grill anything, so I've mastered the art of pan searing and finishing a steak to a lovely medium rare that's still full of blood. Took a little practice, but yeah.

I have a nice little pile of sprouts and I might even add some garlic toast into the mix tonight since I've worked 11 days in a row and I'm hungry as all fuck right now.
I've never been comfortable with eating steak medium rare. If I see any pink, then I'm ready to ask them to take it back so they can finish cooking it. If I'm going to have steak, I want to be at minimum, medium well, preferably well done.

Allan Glenn. 1984-2005 RIP
:countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep:
Under no circumstances should Quentin Tarantino be allowed to befoul Star Trek.
Old 07-29-2017, 12:55 PM

Dude, no. If I'm eating steak I want to see BLOOD. What else am I going to dip my sprouts in?

I'm also that guy who gets burgers medium-ish with pink in the middle and dumps the fries out on the plate so I can drip blood and grease on them while I eat. I'm a filthy bastard. And it's great.
Old 07-29-2017, 02:01 PM
Solipsist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonCapitan2002 View Post
I've never been comfortable with eating steak medium rare. If I see any pink, then I'm ready to ask them to take it back so they can finish cooking it. If I'm going to have steak, I want to be at minimum, medium well, preferably well done.
I sometimes wonder how your mind works.

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Old 07-29-2017, 10:24 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonCapitan2002 View Post
Quote:

Like Megatron I like my steaks rare but I probably prefer mine a bit more rare than Megatron. When I was living at home (Many years ago) my father would make meat for cannibal sandwiches, raw hamburger, some raw egg, salt and pepper, and it's ready to eat without cooking at all. My grandfather had a farm where he grew cows for meat and my one uncle had a dairy farm and occasionally had a cow for slaughter, so we could see the animal before it was ground into hamburger. Today I'm less sure about the meat but I still get hungry for raw beef.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:44 AM

My dad and I used to both pick at the raw hamburger that was left over in the package when he'd make meatloaf or burgers, and that's probably the closest I ever got to that. Granted, this was years before the big E.Coli scare. We'd just eat bits of raw ground beef and not give a fuck.

When I was a kid, his idea of "cooking" a burger was a crusty sear on each side and lovely bloody meat in the middle, and he's the one who taught me to drip it all over my chips/fries/whatever. This is still how I cook my burgers today unless I'm doing layered smash burgers, which are a very different thing altogether. Now you practically have to sign a fucking waiver to get a burger with some blood in it. I still know a few places and I tend to frequent the hell out of them.

That said, when it comes to steak (especially the thick ribeye steaks that I favor) there's a fundamental change in the texture of the meat that happens between "rare" and "medium rare" and it occurs without losing a lot of the blood and flavor. When you pass into medium rare the meat actually becomes MORE tender, and that happens right after I pull it off the heat - the very end happens itself as it gradually loses its heat in open air. This is when you add a little more sea salt and finish searing your brussels sprouts in the fat you rendered from the side of the ribeye.
Ari (07-31-2017), JoeP (07-31-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 04:19 AM
I'm Deplorable.

I heard somewhere that any meat contaminate only effected the surface and that is why it is OK to eat steaks rare, but with ground meat any surface contaminate is mixed throughout the meat and could effect the whole package of meat, which is why it is recommended to cook ground meat thoroughly. I still like my hamburgers rare and I rarely get sick from them, (pun intended), in fact I don't ever remember getting sick from raw or rare hamburger.

In a way it's like overprotective parents who never let their children get exposed to any pathogens and then their kids get really sick when finally exposed to those germs because the kids don't have any immunity. I figure that if I ingest the less virulent versions of the pathogens and build up some immunity I'll have that when I encounter the more virulent kind.

Last edited by thedoc; 07-31-2017 at 04:29 AM.
Old 07-31-2017, 04:19 AM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

Technically it's not blood but myoglobin which contains hemes, an iron containing molecule.
:glasses:

Have you tried Sousvide? The constant temp can through cook meat producing safe and exact rare or medium rare meats. They do need a sear step though if you like the milliard reaction.
(Amusingly I've never had it, though I know people who love it).

ETA: thedoc, yep at least for commercial cow all your contaminates come from the outside.
Old 07-31-2017, 04:36 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
This is when you add a little more sea salt and finish searing your brussels sprouts in the fat you rendered from the side of the ribeye.
My mother would boil Brussels Sprouts to death and they were just awful. Then many years later My wife and I were at a party where the hostess had prepared sprouts by pan frying them in oil with some bacon, they were really good and I finally learned how good they could be if the cooking didn't spoil them.
Ari (07-31-2017), Megatron (07-31-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 04:50 AM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

Agreed. Years ago a foody friend took me and a few others to a nice and expensive tapas place that had the best brussel sprouts I've ever had, and I had written them off as horrible.
Thanks, from:
lisarea (07-31-2017)

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Food & Drink