Old 03-13-2018, 04:34 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

Default Re: Gadgetry

:AB: :canada:
Thanks, from:
Ari (03-13-2018), BrotherMan (03-13-2018), Ensign Steve (04-11-2018), JoeP (03-13-2018), lisarea (03-13-2018), ShottleBop (04-25-2018), Sock Puppet (03-14-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 05:00 AM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

That's great!
They missed an opportunity though to make the battery icon at 3%.
Thanks, from:
But (03-20-2018), Crumb (03-13-2018), Ensign Steve (02-25-2020), JoeP (03-13-2018), Kamilah Hauptmann (03-13-2018), lisarea (03-13-2018)
Old 03-14-2018, 06:15 AM
here to bore you with pictures

I have a Blank Forces Titanium EDC pen. Originally intended as a Father's Day gift for my Dad, but he died before it was done being made. One of the last conversations I had with him was customizing this.

His wife gave it back to me when it arrived. I like this pen a lot, and I was using it today and thought, "Hey, I wonder what it looks like under the microscope?"

So, first off, playing around with the 100mm macro lens I bought...

Then, onto the microscope...

Thanks, from:
Ari (03-19-2018), BrotherMan (03-14-2018), Ensign Steve (04-11-2018), JoeP (03-14-2018), lisarea (03-14-2018), ShottleBop (04-25-2018), Sock Puppet (03-14-2018), Stormlight (12-27-2019)
Old 03-19-2018, 07:25 AM

More pen pics:

This is the cap slightly twisted open... one of the features of these pens are the nearly seamless look when the pen is completely closed.

Thanks, from:
Ari (03-19-2018), BrotherMan (03-19-2018), Crumb (03-19-2018), Ensign Steve (04-11-2018), JoeP (03-19-2018), ShottleBop (04-26-2018), Stormlight (12-27-2019)
Old 04-24-2018, 05:01 PM

M3D made a splash on the 3D printer market for Kickstarting a cheap, small 3D printer at a consumer price. I bought into the hype, but the results are mixed. I mean, I can sometimes get it to work well, especially if the print is small, but the quality is inconsistent. The best I've gotten from it are the microscope photos of the mistakes. :grin:

I mean, I knew it was a cheap 3D printer, so I expected it to be difficult, so I don't feel like I was robbed. It was an OK entry-level 3D printer. However, I haven't used it much recently, partly due to the fact that I get such inconsistent results.

Well, I'm falling for the M3D hype again. They just announced a new 3D printer form, and it's got the features I'd want in a 3D printer, but with a twist! You can get it with a 1, 2, or 4 filament head, and the preorder price is under $350-550.

I bought a dual head model.
Thanks, from:
Ari (04-25-2018), JoeP (04-24-2018), Stormlight (12-27-2019)
Old 04-24-2018, 06:37 PM
Solipsist

Quote:
Originally Posted by specious_reasons View Post
The best I've gotten from it are the microscope photos of the mistakes. :grin:
More of these.

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
Ari (04-25-2018)
Old 06-03-2019, 02:08 PM

We had deck work done in March, but the snowstorm happened in the middle of it and the deck workers did a less than typically shitty job of cleaning up the worksite. The deck railing uprights are aluminum, and for the stairs they needed to cut the tops off at an angle. They only got about 1/2 of the leftovers, so I keep on finding things that look like large, black staples in the yard. They're perfect for poking into dog's feet. I pick them up as soon as I find them, and today I found one. Unfortunately, this time I thought I might make it less dangerous before I threw it out, and bend the pointy bits inward.

My Gerber Dime did not survive the process:
IMG_1153.jpg

The worst part? The partially bent aluminum flew off into the yard and now I can't find it.
Thanks, from:
Ari (06-03-2019), BrotherMan (06-03-2019), Crumb (06-04-2019), JoeP (06-03-2019), Kamilah Hauptmann (06-03-2019), lisarea (06-03-2019), slimshady2357 (06-03-2019), Sock Puppet (06-03-2019), Stormlight (12-27-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 03:39 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

I am truley sorry for your lots.
Thanks, from:
SR71 (12-27-2019), Stormlight (12-27-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 04:44 PM
Solipsist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherMan View Post
I am truley sorry for your doggos' feetses.
:fixed:

Thanks, from:
Ari (06-03-2019), BrotherMan (06-04-2019), Crumb (06-04-2019), specious_reasons (06-03-2019), SR71 (12-27-2019), Stormlight (12-27-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 04:47 PM

Quote:
I am truley sorry for your lots.
:mourn:

I switched to a Leatherman PS4 for my pocket sized multi-tool, but it has a rough edge that's not good for my pocket or anything it's sharing the pocket with.

A quick search of EDC sites and it looks like the Gerber Dime is still a favorite among people who like small, useful multi-tools. This is the first problem I've had with mine, and I've had it for years. Looks like I'm getting another.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (06-04-2019), JoeP (06-03-2019), lisarea (06-03-2019), Stormlight (12-27-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Quote:
I am truley sorry for your doggos' feetses.
:fixed:
I know - I hate these little fuckers, and I'm surprised I found another, because I've been looking for them.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (06-04-2019), JoeP (06-03-2019), Stormlight (12-27-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 05:02 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

I've got a Leatherman 200, and I like it and use it a lot, but it's a little unwieldy to carry, and it can be hard to get open too, especially if you're trying to get at the smaller tools in the middle.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (06-04-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
I've got a Leatherman 200, and I like it and use it a lot, but it's a little unwieldy to carry, and it can be hard to get open too, especially if you're trying to get at the smaller tools in the middle.
I have very specific requirements. I always carry a multi-tool that's "keychain" size in the watch pocket of my pants. It needs Philips and standard screwdrivers, pliers and an optional knife or scissors. The a that's where the Dime was carried. The only real competitor to the Dime was the Leatherman Squirt PS4 (what I carried until the Dime), and the Style PS. The Style PS was nice, but a bit larger than the Dime, and the scissors kept on breaking.

(I feel like I've written this all before somewhere on this forum... my EDC hasn't changed much in the last few years.)

I have a Leatherman OHT (One Handed Tool) which I have in my bag weekdays and wear on my belt weekends, which I enjoy because it's pretty good about having all the tools one-handed open, and everything locks. However, this was walking the dog Monday morning, so I had the Dime with me.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (06-04-2019)
Old 08-17-2019, 10:12 PM

I'm kind of addicted to funding pens on Kickstarter.

IMG_1183.jpeg

The top left is the first, from a company called BLANK FORCES, which its business model seem to be to Kickstart new models of pens and sell them to me. The bolt action is pleasant and fun, the laser engraving I had done has metric and imperial rulers. It's stainless steel and has a nice solid feel. The lack of a clip keeps me from putting it in notebooks or books because it slides right out. It's a nice pen and mostly fits in the watch pocket of my pants, but it's a little small to comfortably hold for long periods. I haven't been using it, so it's mostly been sitting on the desk by my PC, in case I want to jot something down.

The bottom right is another pen by BLANK FORCES. I have a whole bunch of pictures earlier in the thread, with its tragic backstory. This pen is longer and more comfortable to use, but it's small, light and round, and if you put it down uncapped, it will easily roll. I added the brass cord lock (also by the same company so that it doesn't roll so much, and so I can conveniently hang it in my pocket. I put the brass nut in my watch pocket, and tuck the pen into my pocket, and that works really well.

Still, it's not something I can attach to a notebook, BLANK FORCES made a V2 of this pen, with a clip that screws off one end and attaches to the other, so you don't need to figure out what to do with the pen cap when you’re writing. I like this, and it makes the pen effectively longer, so I've already ordered that via Kickstarter.

The middle pen was more of a gamble, from a company called REFYNE (what's the deal with these all-caps names?). It's another bolt action pen, with a clip. It's a little fatter and heavier that the other bolt-action, but that's not a problem. It's comfortable to use. It was about 1/2 the price of the other pens, and it shows a little bit. These pen makers aren't nearly as obsessed with precision as the Blank Forces people. The bolt action is a little more rough, and there is a minor flaw with how the clip is secured. If I were to bet which pen breaks after 10 years, I'm betting the REFYNE pen. Still, I like it.

Until the V2 titanium pen comes, the REFYNE pen may take the place of the rOtring 600 0.5mm drafting pencil I currently have clipped on my notebook. That's a nice fucking pencil, and I've been using that for quite a while.

So, my first world problem is I have more nice pens and pencils than I can reasonably carry with me (and getting another), and I have to make a choice about which ones to carry and which ones will naturally be used less.
Thanks, from:
Ari (08-18-2019), BrotherMan (08-18-2019), ceptimus (08-18-2019), JoeP (08-18-2019), lisarea (08-17-2019), slimshady2357 (08-18-2019), SR71 (12-27-2019)
Old 08-18-2019, 05:59 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

Many long time years ago I bought some pen from one of the Office Supply Stores. I kinda liked the way it looked and it was big and round like that REFYNE. But with faux wood inlay and a twist to make the pen appear. I really liked it because it was heavy. The darn thing THUNKED real good on a desk. Sadly, I lost it and I don't even remember anything about it and I've never seen its like again.

All that to give you my own bona fides when I say that I'll gladly read and [Thanks] your obsession with pens.
Thanks, from:
specious_reasons (08-18-2019), SR71 (12-27-2019)
Old 08-18-2019, 11:40 AM
Solipsist

Quote:
Originally Posted by specious_reasons View Post
I'm kind of addicted to funding pens on Kickstarter.

Attachment 10971

The top left is the first, from a company called BLANK FORCES, which its business model seem to be to Kickstart new models of pens and sell them to me. The bolt action is pleasant and fun, the laser engraving I had done has metric and imperial rulers. It's stainless steel and has a nice solid feel. The lack of a clip keeps me from putting it in notebooks or books because it slides right out. It's a nice pen and mostly fits in the watch pocket of my pants, but it's a little small to comfortably hold for long periods. I haven't been using it, so it's mostly been sitting on the desk by my PC, in case I want to jot something down.

The bottom right is another pen by BLANK FORCES. I have a whole bunch of pictures earlier in the thread, with its tragic backstory. This pen is longer and more comfortable to use, but it's small, light and round, and if you put it down uncapped, it will easily roll. I added the brass cord lock (also by the same company so that it doesn't roll so much, and so I can conveniently hang it in my pocket. I put the brass nut in my watch pocket, and tuck the pen into my pocket, and that works really well.

Still, it's not something I can attach to a notebook, BLANK FORCES made a V2 of this pen, with a clip that screws off one end and attaches to the other, so you don't need to figure out what to do with the pen cap when you’re writing. I like this, and it makes the pen effectively longer, so I've already ordered that via Kickstarter.

The middle pen was more of a gamble, from a company called REFYNE (what's the deal with these all-caps names?). It's another bolt action pen, with a clip. It's a little fatter and heavier that the other bolt-action, but that's not a problem. It's comfortable to use. It was about 1/2 the price of the other pens, and it shows a little bit. These pen makers aren't nearly as obsessed with precision as the Blank Forces people. The bolt action is a little more rough, and there is a minor flaw with how the clip is secured. If I were to bet which pen breaks after 10 years, I'm betting the REFYNE pen. Still, I like it.

Until the V2 titanium pen comes, the REFYNE pen may take the place of the rOtring 600 0.5mm drafting pencil I currently have clipped on my notebook. That's a nice fucking pencil, and I've been using that for quite a while.

So, my first world problem is I have more nice pens and pencils than I can reasonably carry with me (and getting another), and I have to make a choice about which ones to carry and which ones will naturally be used less.
Can you tell us more about BLANK FORCES? Do BLANK FORCES make best quality product for very less prices? Does BLANK FORCES have a 365-day return policy or not?

Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (08-18-2019), ShottleBop (08-20-2019), SR71 (12-27-2019)
Old 08-20-2019, 03:34 AM
happy now, Mussolini?

Bet this was a BLANK FORCES :yup:

Thanks, from:
lisarea (08-20-2019), specious_reasons (08-20-2019), SR71 (12-27-2019), Stormlight (12-27-2019)
Old 08-20-2019, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuss Apollo View Post
Bet this was a BLANK FORCES :yup:

Kids In The Hall - My Pen - YouTube
This disturbs me greatly - he's such an amateur. I have a whole cup full of throwaway pens for other people to use.

I will let people use the 0.9 mm Alvin draft pencil on my desk, because I have... 3 of them... if I'm not mistaken. It's a nice pencil, but I'm not as possessive of that one as the rOtring.
Thanks, from:
Ari (08-21-2019), JoeP (08-20-2019), lisarea (08-20-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 07:32 PM

I did an impulse buy today.

I was going through my RSS feeds this morning, and I saw a new tool by Peter Atwood, and it hadn't sold out yet.

It's pretty cool, but it's also the first issue of a brand new design by this tool maker, it may even be functional.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (12-13-2019), lisarea (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 09:05 PM

I just dumped out that last post - that last sentence doesn't make any sense.

Peter Atwood is a "name" in tool manufacturing. He's an artisan making original designs in his own shop, typically in small batches. His body of work is mostly in uniquely shaped "Every Day Carry" multitools. From my experience, his tools are more "interesting and stylish" than "functional and easy to carry", but I think his work positively influences major manufacturers.

This is a brand new design for him, a new "twist" on a mini wrench that could also be used as a bottle opener, or as a screwdriver/pry bar. I think it's pretty cool looking, so I'll try it out. We'll see how useful it is in real life.

The fact that this is the first batch of a brand new design makes this a potential collectible. Even if I find I don't like the tool very much, I may be able to resell it for significantly more than I paid.

Otherwise, I've been pretty consistent carrying the Leatherman Style PS and a Spyderco Ladybug 3. I didn't get a new Gerber Dime because the Style PS has been working for me so far.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (12-13-2019), Ensign Steve (12-12-2019), fragment (12-15-2019), lisarea (12-12-2019)
Old 12-26-2019, 06:33 PM
California Sober

A coworker surprised me with one of these for Christmas:

So excited! Time to open a beer and then draw lots of circles and straight lines. :awesome:
BrotherMan (12-27-2019), ceptimus (12-26-2019), Crumb (12-26-2019), JoeP (12-26-2019), lisarea (12-26-2019), specious_reasons (12-26-2019), SR71 (12-27-2019)
Old 12-26-2019, 09:27 PM

I would totally get that if I had any reason to think I would use it.

Your coworker must like you - I got my coworkers a DoohicKey Key Tool for about $4 each.
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (12-26-2019), lisarea (12-26-2019)
Old 02-20-2020, 06:30 PM
Shitpost Sommelier

:AB: :canada:
Thanks, from:
Ari (02-20-2020), Ensign Steve (02-20-2020), JoeP (02-20-2020), lisarea (02-20-2020), slimshady2357 (02-20-2020)
Old 02-20-2020, 07:31 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

I know I'm a bad person for this, but I get endless amusement watching people get fucked over by the internet of shit. Waah waah waah, people are turning on my lights over the internet! My thermostat has shut my furnace off! Someone made fun of me through cloud based surveillance system in my house! My fire alarm is going off all night because it needs a system update!

Internet enabled house fires would be over the line, though, even for me.
Thanks, from:
Ari (02-20-2020), BrotherMan (02-21-2020), ceptimus (02-20-2020), Crumb (02-20-2020), Ensign Steve (02-20-2020), JoeP (02-20-2020), Kamilah Hauptmann (02-20-2020), slimshady2357 (02-20-2020), Sock Puppet (02-20-2020)
Old 02-20-2020, 07:39 PM
California Sober

For real. There's a commercial I sometimes hear on TV for Sleepnumber or maybe Sealy or some other mattress brand, and I don't pay it a ton of attention, but I can never miss it when the VO guy says "smart bed".

All I can say is HELL NO. Jesus Christ, people! It's like you've never even seen Maximum Overdrive. :sadno:
BrotherMan (02-21-2020), Crumb (02-20-2020), Kamilah Hauptmann (02-20-2020), lisarea (02-20-2020)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Computers & Technology