Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law

Old 12-28-2004, 05:44 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Default Re: Earthquake/Tsunami Relief

Jimmy Higgins at IIDB wrote the following letter to his senator and gave me permission to heavily plagiarize. I think we all should send letters to our senators...it's at least something we can do. The death toll may reach well over 100k when the outlying islands are reached and disease and famine take their toll.

Quote:
Dear Senator __:

I am writing in response about America's commitment to the victims of the Tsunami in Southern Asia and Eastern Africa. As of now, the death toll is spiraling out of control. Millions have lost everything, including the villages in which they lived. During our lifetimes, we probably will never witness again a natural disaster of this magnitude. Yet the Bush Administration has earmarked only $15 million for relief efforts. http://rds.yahoo.com/S=53720272/K=1...src=rss/topNews

I find this as a slap in the face of those who have suffered in this terrible event. The Congress okayed the spending of $7 billion to the approximately 5500 victims of the 9/11 attack. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...-2004Nov17.html Why such a small amount for those in Asia and Africa?

I find this terribly hypocritical. In a time when the President calls for America to do what's right for the world, by invading nations to free people from tyranny, and he calls for Americans to volunteer to help those within our own borders, I find it awfully hypocritical to pledge an insignificant $15 million to help those who have suffered from one of the worst natural disasters in recorded history. The US spends billions on the war in Iraq, yet, the US can't find it in its heart to openly give such amounts to those who no longer have a village or town to call home?

Perhaps its my cynicism, however, I can't help but notice that the areas struck lack in oil, Christians, or Caucasians. I certainly hope this isn't why America isn't giving as much as it possibly can to help restore whatever life we can to the areas destroyed by the tsunamis. If America is to ever gain the graces of the world again, we must lead in efforts to restore life where we have nothing to gain but the calming of the pain in our hearts that we should be feeling for those suffering in Asia and Africa.

Please do what is right and demand that America invest into the stricken areas as it did within its own borders when the lives of thousands were harmed on September 11th. Please help to prove to the world that we, as a nation, do care!
Old 12-28-2004, 06:18 PM
Love Bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemonkey
I'm having difficulty finding any group in my area that will accept donations of material goods. :(
Me, too.

I donated the stuff to the Red Cross store, though, so hopefully if it sells the money will be used in the disaster area.

I also called the NZ Red Cross hotline to donate $60 (3x$20) which will simply be added to my next phone bill.

Zoot, Sycophant, Godfather...if you can afford it, call one or more of these NZ numbers to donate:

To make a donation Red Cross: 0900 31 100 to make $20 donations

Christian World Service: 0800 74 73 72, PO Box 22-652, Christchurch

Oxfam: phone donations 0800 600 700

TEAR Fund: 0800 800 777

World Vision: 0800 80 2000

Caritas: 0900 411 11 for $20 donations, PO Box 12-193 Wellington

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?...jectID=9004803

~ Ice T ~
Old 12-28-2004, 06:19 PM
Love Bomb

Thumbup Re: Earthquake/Tsunami Relief

Great letter, Jimmy Higgins!

~ Ice T ~
Old 12-28-2004, 06:53 PM

Every once in a while along comes a letter or essay that instantly moves the reflex action in my mind to exclaim, "I wish I had written that" Jimmy's letter is one of those. Although Jimmy not I wrote the letter and that is what matters. Envy is a ugly emotion I conquered years ago, and so what matters is that the letter has been written. I salute Jimmy for writing it and I salute Brandi for bringing it to our attention. I really must go over to IIDB and personally thank Jimmy. He is a poster I learned much respect for over there.

This old toad is hopping busy trying to get everything I can together and to contact local agencies. Now Jimmy has handed me a new task even though he is unaware and that is to investigate my own recently mealymouthed government and ascertain what they are doing and are planning on doing. If they are even close to being so miserly and lacking both in sincerity and compassion as is the Bush clownworks then I better get busy drafting a missive to them, with copies to the major newspapers up here in Polarbearland.

Fifteen million lousy dollars! What a fucking insult. Tis unbelievable. Such hypocrisy :fuming: :fuming: :fuming: :fuming:

Just compare that sum with the weekly cost of the ordinance that is falling upon the heads of Iraqis. :(
Old 12-28-2004, 06:57 PM

A salute also to the compassion and organizational abilities/ efforts of Lunachic. :wave:
Old 12-28-2004, 08:13 PM
professional left-winger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemonkey
I'm having difficulty finding any group in my area that will accept donations of material goods. :(
The Red Cross won't take them? That's terrible!
From my local Red Cross site:

Quote:
Donate In-Kind Products

The Red Cross is unable to accept small, individual donations or collections of items such as clothing, food or cleaning supplies. The cost to sort, package and distribute these types of donations to disaster victims is almost always greater than the cost of purchasing the items locally, and it is logistically impossible to distribute a wide variety of individual items in a meaningful way. Because of these cost and logistical concerns, we recommend that you support your community by donating these items to an organization that is equipped to put them to the best possible local use.
I understand the reasons, and agree that its better to donate these types of things locally, and so will continue to do that.

BTW, that's a great letter that Jimmy Higgins wrote, thanks for posting it. I was thinking that the sheer enormity of the number of lives lost is staggering when compared to those lost on 9/11 (for example), and the outlay of money and effort is incredibly disproportionate.

Toad, don't beat yourself up for wishing you'd written that letter, think of it as a sincere compliment to Jimmy. :yup:
Old 12-28-2004, 09:06 PM
Bah Humbug

now the US has upped the donation to total of $35 million. it is a distinct likelihood that cholera and dysentery are going to decimate the remaining population. bodies are rotting unburied, and sanitation is non-existant.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:29 PM

Here is a link from our web-site, to Mercy Corps.

Mercy Corps

This is where to donate

-Scott
Old 12-28-2004, 09:42 PM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

Great links, Scotty; thank you. :thankee:
Old 12-28-2004, 09:51 PM
Love Bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratoad
A salute also to the compassion and organizational abilities/ efforts of Lunachic. :wave:
LOL. Thanks, Socratoad. I appreciate your sentiment, but I've really done nothing exceptional. Aside from a couple of scattered hours, all I've really done is sit on my arse digesting a bellyfull of Christmas treats and wine.

It's organisations like the Red Cross and Red Cresent, Doctors Without Borders, and others, who are the real heroes when it comes to catastrophes such as this.

~ Ice T ~
Old 12-28-2004, 10:00 PM
Love Bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady cop
now the US has upped the donation to total of $35 million. it is a distinct likelihood that cholera and dysentery are going to decimate the remaining population. bodies are rotting unburied, and sanitation is non-existant.
That's great to hear, lady cop. I hope they follow through.

It is not unusual for governments to pledge money, but often it is more of a PR move than a genuine pledge, as much of what is pledged is not actually delivered. (This is not an anti-US slur; the US is far from alone in the practice of reneging on it's promises!)

It's us as individuals across the globe that will make the greater contributions to the relief effort. :yup:

Scotty, thanks for additional links! :wave:

~ Ice T ~
Old 12-28-2004, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunachick
Quote:
LOL. Thanks, Socratoad. I appreciate your sentiment, but I've really done nothing exceptional. Aside from a couple of scattered hours, all I've really done is sit on my arse digesting a bellyfull of Christmas treats and wine.

It's organisations like the Red Cross and Red Cresent, Doctors Without Borders, and others, who are the real heroes when it comes to catastrophes such as this.

Yes dear Luna, I'm well aware of the work the organizations you mention do. Oh my how soon they forget :wink: I worked in foreign relief agencies as a volunteer for more than twenty years during many disasters, mostly war or famine related. Sometimes in the area now affected. That is why on another post I mentioned feeling so damned useless. I can not longer jump on a plane and be anywhere.
Its your contribution here dear Luna that I was saluting :bow:

I too am having trouble sending material goods. However I cannot speak to those of you in countries other than my own, but usually here smaller organizations get together and charter aircraft and take tons of clothing and medical supplies. During several disasters the Canadian air force has flown many loads of clothing and other donated to stricken areas. I expect the same will happen this time. Perhaps some of you can check into such possibilities in your respective countries. Processed foods, pasta and such less weighty foods have usually been accepted.

IMO the Red Cross in many ways has become far too officious in recent years and automatically refuses to accept much but cash because their bureaucracy is just to fucking unimaginative. However give to them or to whatever relief agencies available to you.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:31 PM
Love Bomb

Default I was assured on the Red Cross line that not a penny of my money will be towards admi

Quote:

IMO the Red Cross in many ways has become far too officious in recent years and automatically refuses to accept much but cash because their bureaucracy is just to fucking unimaginative. However give to them or to whatever relief agencies available to you.

I guess governments will donate the use of ...whatever those big cargo-type planes are called...for carrying material goods after the initial cleanup.

I can understand that right now they are crying out for cash. Cash is what will make immediate relief happen now.

Also, for those who are concerned that much of the money they donate will be wasted on administration costs, I was assured on the Red Cross line that my money would be 100% for relief aid and not a penny on admin costs. :)

~ Ice T ~
Old 12-28-2004, 11:04 PM

You are right of course Luna. After all the writing I've done ever away back when Christ was still only a corporal I'm still a one-handed (the left one at that, the numb one) and so I should have made that clear that it takes time to orgasnize the appropriate aircraft, etc. The trouble on my end is that I often do not thoroughly explain things simply because my magic finger (the one I type with) grows weary. :writer:

Sorry, but do you know how much a good typist can comand on the open market? :P Probably not enough actually. :shrug:
Old 12-28-2004, 11:13 PM
Love Bomb

Quote:
...away back when Christ was still only a corporal...
LOL. :D

Don't beat yourself up, Socratoad. We can only do so much - some of us can do very little; some of us can do more. That's just the way things are. :yup:

:hugsmile:

~ Ice T ~
Old 12-28-2004, 11:16 PM
Love Bomb

Tragedy Re: Earthquake/Tsunami Relief

By the way, in the 24 hours or so since I began this thread, the death toll has jumped from 16,000 to 52,000. :(

~ Ice T ~
Old 12-28-2004, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:
...away back when Christ was still only a corporal...
LOL. :D

Don't beat yourself up, Socratoad. We can only do so much - some of us can do very little; some of us can do more. That's just the way things are. :yup:

:hugsmile:
Thanks dear friend, it is taking me several posts to get across the point I was trying to make albeit not very successfully. The real reason I wished to try to get across is that there must be thousands upon thousands of people, that just do not have any cash they can spare and so feel left out of any way to participate in giving. That is why I mentioned that they still might be able to contribute.

I've become very proficient at beating myself up thank you. :D

In spite of the grin above I really do not much feel like grinning. The pictures in my mind are about to drive me crazy, especially as the numbers climb and climb and climb. I just saw a picture of a young Thia woman standing beside a truck full of bodies. Still I prefer being able to feel grief than to feel indifference or nothing at all.

And doncha put those clothes and duvet away that you got ready just yet.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:52 PM
Love Bomb

Quote:
And doncha put those clothes and duvet away that you got ready just yet.
I've already given them away. I gave them to the Red Cross shop in town here. They can sell them and use the money as needed.

One thing that those who cannot give anything can do is to perhaps call local radio stations and urge them to get involved in fundraising efforts on air, if they haven't already. They can challenge businesses and individuals to a set target within a set time frame and get the community involved in that way. It is beneficial to them as a radio station as it increases their profile and community activism, too, so it's a win-win thing.

~ Ice T ~
Old 12-29-2004, 02:10 AM
Raping the Marlboro Man

Where do you live freemonkey?
Old 12-29-2004, 03:26 AM
professional left-winger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adora
Where do you live freemonkey?
I'm near Seattle, WA, USA.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:52 AM
Supreme Allied Commander

Quote:
I also called the NZ Red Cross hotline to donate $60 (3x$20) which will simply be added to my next phone bill.

Zoot, Sycophant, Godfather...if you can afford it, call one or more of these NZ numbers to donate
Thanks Luna, I was going to ask what organisations you were looking at in NZ. I am a little skint at the moment, but I should be reasonably flush by the time my next phone bill rolls in so I made three calls to that 0900 number.

I don't have any really useful material goods to offer, but I've read articles from aid agencies saying how difficult it can be to accept donations of goods for situations like these, so that's cool by me.
Old 12-29-2004, 10:12 AM
puzzler

Default Re: I was assured on the Red Cross line that not a penny of my money will be towards admi

Quote:
Also, for those who are concerned that much of the money they donate will be wasted on administration costs, I was assured on the Red Cross line that my money would be 100% for relief aid and not a penny on admin costs. :)
I'm afraid that is just not realistic. I'm sure the Red Cross endeavours to keep its admin budget as low as possible, but it will certainly be more than 0%.

Also, most aid organisations spend quite a bit on advertising. This is justifiable however, as the advertising results in more money coming in, and therefore more money reaching the sufferers.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:06 AM
Supreme Allied Commander

Default Re: I was assured on the Red Cross line that not a penny of my money will be towards

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceptimus
Quote:
I'm afraid that is just not realistic. I'm sure the Red Cross endeavours to keep its admin budget as low as possible, but it will certainly be more than 0%.

Also, most aid organisations spend quite a bit on advertising. This is justifiable however, as the advertising results in more money coming in, and therefore more money reaching the sufferers.
The donation line in question was specifically for this disaster. The Red Cross pays for all it's administrative costs from seperate funds. So all the money donated on that phone line will go directly to the relief effort, and not pay for advertising or operational costs related to the collection of that money or any other operational cost.

Obviously money generally donated to the Red Cross will be spent on administration as well as specific relief programs.

Also, I know a lot of aid agencies get in-kind donations in relation to advertising from broadcasters and production companies. That has certainly been the case locally in many situations like this in the past. I know people personally who have done freebie work for these groups, and I certainly would do so.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:43 AM
Love Bomb

Thumbup Re: Earthquake/Tsunami Relief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycophant
I was going to ask what organisations you were looking at in NZ. I am a little skint at the moment, but I should be reasonably flush by the time my next phone bill rolls in so I made three calls to that 0900 number.
Good man! :D :bow:

And, yep, your explanation of Red Cross admin cost management is taken care of by things like money earned from their stores and what-have-you. This relief aid is a 100% focussed effort, with costs already taken care of by their ongoing work during times of peace and calm. At least that's how I understand it, anyway.

~ Ice T ~
Old 12-30-2004, 07:41 PM
A fellow sophisticate

I was following this story since immediately after it happened on BBC news online. I knew right away this was a major disaster and that because of the remoteness of many of the villages on the shores of the affected countries, the death toll would be much higher than they were first reporting. I almost immediately made an online donation to Doctors Without Borders and Red Cross Red Crescent. So what I have to eat peanut butter without jelly until next payday. That's nothing. I would also donate my perfectly good 9x13 canvas tent, a couple of sleeping bags, and some blankets if I knew of a good way to do that. Maybe my local Red Cross?

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law