Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 01-05-2012, 05:13 AM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

Default Re: An endless feud?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowalskil View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk View Post

It is quite possible, though maybe not common, for one to believe that one's religion is better than all others without also believing that one is better because one believes in that religion.
I already explained, several minutes ago, why using the term "thology" is more appropriate in this thread than the word "religion."
That's nice. I wasn't responding to your post. I was responding to something that naturalist.atheist wrote and he specifically referenced religion.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:09 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor X View Post
I do find the arguments attributed to Socrates rather wooden.

--J.D.
Then build a fire and toast some marshmallows.
Thanks, from:
maddog (01-06-2012)
Old 01-05-2012, 09:57 AM
Flipper 11/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
So an argument can be valid but unsound. In the case posted here valid concusions can be drawn from the starting point, "God exists," but whether the argument is actually sound (i.e., true in reality) depends on whether the "God exists" premise is true.
God either exists or God doesn't so, that should narrow things down a bit. In which case you should be looking for things to support the premise, and there are all kinds of things to support that. Whether or not folks choose to acknowledge it though, is not up to me. If, however, you have enough pieces of the puzzle, and put it together the way it was meant to be put together, it's about as plain as the nose on your face, as far as I'm concerned. It is self-evident in other words.

But, then again, "I," in accord with I-acchus or, that part of us that is genuine, and/or is spiritual or, our true identity, doesn't really exist. Which of course is tantamount to saying no-thing, not even 1 + 1 = 2, is self-evident. Why? because there is no (genuine) self to compare it to ... other than the electro-chemical processes within the brain. But, this is just a means of exchanging information. The information is genuine, yes, as is whatever it is that exists on the other side of the exchange (the mind) that is evaluating it. However, to misconstrue the inputs and outputs (the genuine parts) with its means of exchange (the workings of the brain), really does a disservice to those genuine souls who are attempting to study it. In fact it can make all the difference in the world or, not-world (i.e., that which is immaterial). :yup:

If, on the other hand, we all had a true identity, and were given the ability to examine the truth about reality, first and foremost, without the need to ever discuss the means by which it is obtained (unless you wish to discuss that specifically, as pertains to the brain/mind exchange or, the mind itself), guess what? It gives us a chance to believe in ourselves for a change, for we no longer need to take science's or, anyone else's word for it. How so? because it is self-evident! :yup:

Notwithstanding it may require a disciplined mind (not just a brain) in order to do so ... which, is more a matter of science.

Like to download a copy of my book, The Advent of Dionysus? . . . It's free! :whup:
Old 01-05-2012, 10:09 AM
Flipper 11/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Quote:
I do find the arguments attributed to Socrates rather wooden.

--J.D.
Then build a fire and toast some marshmallows.
Yeah, Socrates was pretty cool. :laugh:

Like to download a copy of my book, The Advent of Dionysus? . . . It's free! :whup:
Old 01-05-2012, 10:18 AM
Flipper 11/11

Oh yeah, if the idea of God is not self-evident to you, there is no other way to accept it, and you simply don't know.

Quote:
32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:

33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

34 And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more. ~ Jeremiah 31:32-34

Old 01-05-2012, 06:49 PM
select custom_user_title from user_info where username='Goliath';

So, is kawalskil the new coberst?
Old 01-06-2012, 03:19 AM
Reality Adventurer

He could be Iacchus's replacement.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:34 PM
Flipper 11/11

Iacchus was never here. :yup:

Old 01-06-2012, 01:09 PM
Reality Adventurer

Nobody home?
Old 01-06-2012, 09:07 PM
Flipper 11/11

I was born oblivious, and I will die obvious, apparently so, why should I fake it while I'm here? It doesn't add up.

Although I am quite certain, I don't know why? two and two equals four. :yup:

Old 01-06-2012, 09:24 PM
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer

Tell us about how the security badge you got from work has cosmic significance again, Iacchus, and explain to us why it was given to you for some cosmic divine reason.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:35 PM
Flipper 11/11

At least you could have provided the link ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iacchus View Post
Wine Press ...

..........4+3+2+1=(11)=1+2+3+4

..........4+3+2+1=(11)=1+2+3+4
Or well, George? :yup: this is how it added up.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:07 PM
Flipper 11/11

Oh, today is Little Christmas. It's also the Day of Epiphany which, is the day Dionysus turns water into wine.

Well, IMAGINE that. :yup:

Quote:
Dionysus

In some cults, he arrives from the east, as an Asiatic foreigner; and in others, from Ethiopia in the South. He is a god of epiphany, "the god that comes", and his "foreignness" as an arriving outsider-god may be inherent and essential to his cults. He is a major, popular figure of Greek mythology and religion, and is included in some lists of the twelve Olympians. His festivals were the driving force behind the development of Greek theater. He is an example of a dying god.

Last edited by Iacchus; 01-06-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:58 PM

Have you ever wondered what it took for this coin to get here?

--J.D.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:01 PM
Flipper 11/11

Yeah, well, I've been treated like a foreigner ever since I arrived. You can even ask Doctor X. :yup:

Old 01-06-2012, 11:07 PM
Flipper 11/11

Quote:
Have you ever wondered what it took for this coin to get here?
Lydia? :dunno:

Or, at least it was one of the places Dionysus was purported to come from. It was pretty much central to where the Seven Churches of Asia were established in the Bible.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:26 AM
Flipper 11/11

Hey, a free copy of the book can be downloaded here if anyone is interested? You'll have to give it a couple of minutes though (it's 3.6M), because it doesn't look like it's doing anything. If you have FireFox, it says it's transferring the data in the bottom left-hand corner of the screen.

And, while I admit the book could stand to be rewritten, am not sure I'll ever get around to it. Oh well, what do you expect for nothing? :D

Old 01-07-2012, 06:45 AM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

Nothing.

Expectation met, and exceeded.
Goliath (01-07-2012)
Old 01-07-2012, 10:22 AM
Flipper 11/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk View Post
Nothing.

Expectation met, and exceeded.
In terms of whether it's appreciated or not, sure.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy