Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Lifestyle

Old 02-26-2015, 09:40 PM

Default I just hate work

I just hate the fact that we have to work so bloody hard in this society to make ends meet.

I hate it so much that for now, I'd rather be unemployed and live with my father than financially independent.

Of course eventually I need to find a source of income, whether it's disability or welfare income, or job income, it's just very difficult for me, I've got a lot barriers.

I've had various menial jobs over the last 10 years, but it seems like I'm getting more sick of work as I go on, not less.

The last job I had was at the bottom of the barrel, the absolute lowest of the low, in terms of dignity, but at least it was asocial and fairly easy, but that's no longer an option for me anymore, really, unfortunately.

I have a lot of barriers besides performance anxiety, I'm indolent, unambitious and unmotivated when it comes to money, material things and even hedonistic pursuits, and I loathe the pace at which society moves, and how it not only demands you to do a satisfactory job, but to do it with a smile on your face, and to do it fast.

Everything's rush rush rush, with these people, makes me sick.

I've always been this way, always, since I was a boy.

I don't just blame myself, i'm full of anger and hostility for society, why can't these people just slow the frig down, why do they have to drink so much coffee, and sacrifice so much of their health/leisure for their job, it makes my blood boil?

Why must we compete so much with one another, we should be cooperating, why is the game of life rigged to frig the little guy in butt?

Oh, sometimes I have anti-establishment feelings and thoughts, I've done some criminal things in the past too, all because i loathe work.

My parents were too soft on me, they coddled me, did not prepare me for the work force, but i can't blame it all on them, i didn't prepare myself either, too busy procrastinating, playing video games and so on, youtube, mindless entertainment and impractical research.

I have few regrets though, at least at this point.

I should've been a little bit more like this or like that, but I'm glad i didn't end up a consumerist automaton (as I see it) like so many, and went my own way.

I'm just so full of hate, when it's not directed inward at myself in the form of shame, it's outward at society, with an impulse to destroy.

Can anyone else remotely relate to the feelings I'm experiencing and the life you've lead, because if you can't at all sympathize, i'm not even sure if i'm interested in talking to you, although maybe i should because that's how growth often happens, even if i ultimately end up disagreeing, it might help to know the perspective i'm disagreeing with, better.

I'm a minimalist, that will probably never change, i'm only interested in doing the bare minimum to get by in this world, and then using my free time to pursue my hobbies and interests, and live my life however i see fit, but lately i haven't even been doing that.

It's only a matter of time me and my father part ways as he and my mother are poor, and they can't afford to be helping me out forever.

I might even end up on the street if i can not find a job suitable to my personality or disability or whatever.
Thanks, from:
ceptimus (02-26-2015), Corona688 (02-27-2015), JoeP (02-27-2015), lisarea (02-26-2015), livius drusus (02-27-2015), Stephen Maturin (02-27-2015), Stormlight (02-27-2015), ZEZOZE (02-27-2015)
Old 02-26-2015, 09:52 PM
A fellow sophisticate

Default Re: I just hate work

You hate your job? There's a support group for that. It meets at a nearby bar every single day.--stolen from George Carlin
Stormlight (02-27-2015)
Old 02-26-2015, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingfod View Post
You hate your job? There's a support group for that. It meets at a nearby bar every single day.--stolen from George Carlin
I don't drink, I was hoping I could use forums as my therapy.

And it's not just my job, I hate work itself.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:57 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

I don't think there are that many people, really, who are so into their jobs that they actually enjoy them consistently. There's always a work-life balance in there, not just in terms of hours, but in terms of doing shit you don't want to do in exchange for the money to do the things you do want (or need) to do.

And the economy really is awful for a lot of working class people right now, so that balance is hard to attain.

You're lucky to not be too materialistic, because that makes you lower maintenance. If you don't need a fancy car or a big house or whatever to be happy, you don't need to make as many sacrifices as someone whose happiness is dependent on that. I know that doesn't make it any easier when you're having a hard time working at all, but it's something.

Is there anything you actually really do want to do? It doesn't have to be a job necessarily, even. Just anything you can think of that you really enjoy and look forward to?
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (02-27-2015), ceptimus (02-26-2015), Crumb (02-26-2015), Janet (02-26-2015), LadyShea (02-27-2015), livius drusus (02-27-2015), SR71 (02-27-2015), Stormlight (02-27-2015), The Man (02-26-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 12:06 AM
puzzler

What are the hobbies and interests that you mentioned? Maybe we can discuss them?

I sympathise with your depression over the whole modern life rat race thing - I think there are quite a few posters at :ff: that share your thoughts about that.

It's very difficult to lever yourself out of a rut. Try to spend a little time doing something outside each day - a lot of us suffer from the winter blues: daylight, especially sunlight when there is any, is the best medicine.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:42 AM
A fellow sophisticate

I hate my job, and the job is easy for me; I've done it for a lot of years (more than some of you have been alive). I get to surf the internet, watch Netflix, watch tv, or read anything I want, so long as the job gets done, and it does, without parallel. Nobody does it better. And, though I get paid six figures to do it, I still hate my job. Almost everyone hates their job. The worst thing for me is, I cannot think of anywhere better to be.
Anastasia Beaverhausen (03-05-2015), BrotherMan (02-27-2015), Crumb (02-27-2015), Janet (02-28-2015), JoeP (02-27-2015), lisarea (02-27-2015), livius drusus (02-27-2015), Sock Puppet (02-27-2015), Stephen Maturin (02-27-2015), Stormlight (02-27-2015), Watser? (02-27-2015), ZEZOZE (02-27-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 12:54 AM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Working is not optional for me, so I have always just made the best of it. Early on I found something that fits my skills and personality well (customer service) and that makes it easier, because I can be impressive and valued without much effort or stress.

I am fortunate that right now I enjoy what I do and get paid okay for doing it.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (02-27-2015), Janet (02-28-2015), lisarea (02-27-2015), livius drusus (02-27-2015), SR71 (02-27-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 05:37 AM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingfod View Post
I hate my job, and the job is easy for me; I've done it for a lot of years (more than some of you have been alive). I get to surf the internet, watch Netflix, watch tv, or read anything I want, so long as the job gets done, and it does, without parallel. Nobody does it better. And, though I get paid six figures to do it, I still hate my job. Almost everyone hates their job. The worst thing for me is, I cannot think of anywhere better to be.
The above applies exactly to myself, word for word. I could have written it, but I don't have to, because Dingfod did. :D

Divergence, I think you should follow Mittens Romney's advice. Don't work for others. Borrow a million or so dollars from your parents and start your own business. Because that's what America is all about.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (02-27-2015), Dingfod (02-27-2015), Janet (02-28-2015), LadyShea (02-27-2015), livius drusus (02-27-2015), Stephen Maturin (02-27-2015), Stormlight (02-27-2015), Watser? (02-27-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 08:59 AM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

I saw a rock climber on American Ninja Warrior who picks up a temporary job once in a while but otherwise spends all his time climbing things. He said he lives just fine that way on $5,000 year. Low overhead, both material and emotional, is what it takes. Myself, I'd be terrified all the time.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (02-27-2015), Janet (02-28-2015), LadyShea (02-27-2015), SR71 (02-27-2015), Stormlight (02-27-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 12:32 PM

Oh yes, livius, I forgot about them! They have a whole subculture. A post of mine from ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
So I looked up the term "Dirtbag" after lisarea posted something using that word, to see if it had a context or use I was not hip to. I found out that Dirtbag or Dirtbagger is currently used to refer to specific activity enthusiasts who go purposefully homeless and jobless in order to spend the majority of their time rock climbing or skiing or whatever. Dirtbagging may include couchsurfing, camping, or communal living.

When I was a kid we just called these people ski bums or surf bums or skate bums. I wonder if they like being called Dirtbags?

A Guide to Successful Dirtbagging and Living Your Outdoor Dreams
Dirtbagging Family Style | THE CLIMBING ZINE
Thanks, from:
Janet (02-28-2015), livius drusus (02-27-2015), Stormlight (02-27-2015), Watser? (02-27-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 01:19 PM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

That is both alien and fascinating to me. It looks like so much work, though, figuring out where your next bed is coming from. I guess it isn't to them.

What do you think, Divergence? Is there anything outdoorsy on your list of things you actually like to do? Do you think you could pull off a lifestyle like this? It can't be worse than living on the streets which is really, really dangerous.
Thanks, from:
Janet (02-28-2015), LadyShea (02-27-2015), SR71 (02-27-2015), Stormlight (02-27-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 01:47 PM

Divergence, are you in the US? Your vocabulary and grammar reads non-American to me...but I make mistakes a lot.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:38 PM
Solipsist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divergence View Post
I was hoping I could use forums as my therapy.
Forums are an excellent way of avoiding therapy and filling up your free time. Both of which I mean in a good way :wink:

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
Stormlight (02-27-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 06:15 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

Quote:
Originally Posted by livius drusus View Post
I saw a rock climber on American Ninja Warrior who picks up a temporary job once in a while but otherwise spends all his time climbing things. He said he lives just fine that way on $5,000 year. Low overhead, both material and emotional, is what it takes. Myself, I'd be terrified all the time.
Yeah, he could fall and hurt himself. :blank:
Janet (02-28-2015), livius drusus (02-27-2015), Pan Narrans (02-28-2015), SR71 (03-03-2015), Stormlight (03-02-2015)
Old 03-03-2015, 02:18 AM
A fellow sophisticate

Crumb (03-04-2015), Janet (03-07-2015), Pan Narrans (03-03-2015), SR71 (03-03-2015), Stormlight (03-03-2015)
Old 03-03-2015, 09:45 AM
Solipsist

Relevant to this thread.

I have just been sent an invitation to apply for a job which has a salary per anum.

Thanks, from:
ChuckF (03-04-2015), Janet (03-07-2015), lisarea (03-04-2015), Stormlight (03-03-2015)
Old 03-03-2015, 03:06 PM
Coffee, tea, anti-Nazi

I hate work. I hate being broke even more. Trying to find something to suit you takes time, but there are going to be other jobs in between. Use these as tools to learn-learn how to form relationships with people-even people you wouldn't spend time with (or on) outside of work. This is growth as a person.

You'll also be surprised to find out that everyone isn't as different as you think they might be. Sure they're not all clones, they all have their reasons, and you won't find all of them valid. But their life isn't yours to lead.
BrotherMan (03-03-2015), Janet (03-07-2015), JoeP (03-03-2015), LadyShea (03-03-2015), livius drusus (03-03-2015), Sock Puppet (03-03-2015)
Old 03-03-2015, 10:45 PM
Solipsist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Relevant to this thread.

I have just been sent an invitation to apply for a job which has a salary per anum.
I'm bummed that only Stormlight seems to have got this.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:33 AM

I am stupid is all, don't be bummed about it.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:41 AM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

You mean you get one salary for each asshole?

TAKE IT JOE.
Thanks, from:
Janet (03-07-2015), JoeP (03-04-2015), Stormlight (03-04-2015)
Old 03-04-2015, 02:28 AM
Spiffiest wanger

Hmm, it looks as if Divergence may not be coming back, which is too bad, because I think he/she has gotten some helpful responses.

One thing that helps me deal with the shititude of endless corporate clown-shoes ooga-booga and wage slavery is art. I write fiction and I draw and paint. I've had stories published and hope to publish six novels. Art is great. I mean art in the broad sense; creative writing, pictorial art, music, drama, opera, whatever.

I wonder if Divergence has any artistic interests or talents?

What made me think of this is Kafka's novella Metamorphosis. Have you read it, Divergence? This work, in which a man named Gregor Samsa awakes one morning and finds himself transformed into a "monstrous insect," possibly a cockroach or a dung beetle on differing interpretations, has drawn a literary cottage industry of analyses, including by Nabokov. But the interpretation I like best -- and at the moment, the name of the author of it eludes me -- held that Kafka's work is nothing less, and nothing more, than a protest against work. And this makes sense, given Kafka's own situation: he was forced to work by day at a job he despised, and could only squeeze in writing at night, after his hours of mindless drudgery were over.

In Metamorphosis, the main stress is that the protagonist worked at a job that he hated: traveling salesman. And being transformed into an insect fortuitously excused him from further work. But it also destroyed his family, and caused his retired father to have to go back to work to make ends meet, and it made Gregor a parasite, cared for, mainly, by his sister. That also makes sense, because unless you've inherited your wealth, it is likely that you are going to have to work in your life, or be cared for by someone else, a condition that might make you feel like a parasite: an insect.

Toward the end of the work, Gregor hears his sister playing music, and reflects that this is the food he had always wanted, and needed: not ordinary food, but musical food: art. This same theme is reprised in his short story the The Hunger Artist, which, iirc, Kakfa wrote while he was dying and literally could not eat. The Hunger Artist refused all food because he craved a different kind of food that the workaday world could not provide.

If you haven't already, Divergence, look into the salve of art, the power of human creativity. Read Henry Miller also, who also hated work, and turned his hatred of work and of conventional society into a literary corpus. If you have artistic talents, cultivate them. That could be your salvation.
Thanks, from:
ceptimus (03-04-2015), Crumb (03-04-2015), Dingfod (03-04-2015), Janet (03-07-2015), JoeP (03-04-2015), lisarea (03-04-2015), Pan Narrans (03-04-2015), slimshady2357 (03-04-2015), Sock Puppet (03-04-2015), Stormlight (03-04-2015), The Man (03-04-2015)

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Lifestyle