Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature

Old 10-17-2007, 08:27 AM
Raping the Marlboro Man

Default Re: Seen Any Good Movies...?

RESIDENT EVIL EXTINCTION IS AWESOME STOP I DON'T CARE WHAT ANYONE ELSE SAYS STOP SHE KILLS A HITCHCOCK HOMAGE WITH BRAIN-FIRE STOP IF THAT'S NOT AWESOME I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS STOP STOP STOP

Zombies and Mad-Max apocalyptica and stupid plotholes make me caps-happy. Hee.

Only downside was that they photoshopped her face into oblivion for every closeup. Ew. Made her look like a doll, and I hate dolls.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:33 AM
Raping the Marlboro Man

Oh and just to throw my two random cents in, I really really loved 28 Weeks Later if just for the way it gave so much for my happy deconstructionist brain to suck on. Most definitely a metaphor for violence and terror in the family (whereas the first film was more about violence and terror in the public sphere). And I liked Robert Carlyle as the crazy boss!zombie.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:14 PM
simple country microbiologist hyperchicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by They View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimshack;
Okay, the last movie I saw that I really liked was The Proposition. I may be the only person on the planet that has seen that flick, but it was DAMN good!
Brilliant, brilliant movie. Guy Pearce has definitely thrown off the Priscilla tag and is a bloody good actor. If anyone is interested in a well made Australian movie, I recommend this one. And Ten Canoes, if you can get it. It's made in an Aboriginal dialect, and is a funny and beautiful story.
The proposition kicks so much fucking ass.

i own it, nick cave rules.

nick being the writer
Old 10-17-2007, 05:15 PM
California Sober

OMG SEVEN!

:powerglomp:
Old 10-17-2007, 05:19 PM
California Sober

Oh, oops. I didn't realize there was another page of posts. Anyway, that was for Seven of Nine, in case it's not obvious.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:57 PM
Quality Contributor

It's never too late to welcome 7 of 9 back! :glomp:
Old 10-17-2007, 07:35 PM
Uthgar the Brazen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adora View Post
RESIDENT EVIL EXTINCTION IS AWESOME STOP I DON'T CARE WHAT ANYONE ELSE SAYS STOP SHE KILLS A HITCHCOCK HOMAGE WITH BRAIN-FIRE STOP IF THAT'S NOT AWESOME I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS STOP STOP STOP
I've been hearing this. I enjoyed the first one, but the second one sucked dead, drippy donkey balls, so I've been afraid to even try this iteration. I may have to have a look-see at a cheap (pre-noon) show.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:24 PM
Babby Police

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead

Excellent. Marisa Tomei = Hot.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:57 AM
Quality Contributor

Transformers - I finally got to see this yesterday. And man was it good (loud) fun! Clearly one of the best action flicks in a very long time! 8/10
Old 02-04-2008, 12:51 PM
A fellow sophisticate

There Will Be Blood

A beautifully shot, wonderfully acted, almost completely pointless movie; a cinematic period masterpiece if you can ignore the pointlessness of it all. The movie depicts a determined silver miner who quits mining to drill for oil, finds oil, raises a dead worker's deaf kid, cheats punk kid cum preacher, finds oil, gets rich, goes crazy, kills somebody, drinks a lot, runs off adopted son, drinks even more, ends up alone, gets completely drunk, kills somebody, then says "I'm done." He was.

I hope I didn't ruin it for anyone.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:57 PM
Admin

No Country for Old Men

Volver

This is England

...and probably others I'll add when I have time to go to Netflix for a memory refresher. :blush:
Old 02-05-2008, 01:59 PM
Quality Contributor

I loved Volver! :unnod:
Old 02-05-2008, 02:24 PM
Mr. Condescending Dick Nose

The Kite Runner, last night.

The photography alone is worth the ticket money, but I feel the story doesn't really hold together, in a way which is disappointing somehow. No matter, it is an education in Afghan history and culture; reason enough to see it, I think.

Mick
Old 02-05-2008, 02:59 PM
Uthgar the Brazen

This Is England was horrid. I have to wonder if the script was the result of a gradeschool group writing project.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:13 PM
forever in search of dill pickle doritos

Sou and I went to a free preview of The Bucket List starring Morgan freeman and Jack Nicholson last night. It was pretty good, I expected it to be overly sentimental and feel-good cheesy. And it was actually, but the strong acting carried it through. It's not a film I would tell people to rush out and see, but it's certainly entertaining/enthralling enough to be an enjoyable view. As seems to be mandatory now, Morgan Freeman does a voice over commentary throughout.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:13 PM
Quality Contributor

Quote:
This Is England was horrid. I have to wonder if the script was the result of a gradeschool group writing project.
It got 93% on Rotten Tomatoes! Can't be that bad.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:35 PM
Uthgar the Brazen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormlight View Post
Quote:
It got 93% on Rotten Tomatoes! Can't be that bad.
Yes it can. I suspect the only reason it received good reviews is because the acting was good and people are worried that a criticism of the film technicals equals a criticism of its central message. Racism is bad, okey dokey. The trick is how to relay that belabored if still unlearned point without it looking like a glue-and-macaroni project brought home by our little Chester ain't he cute. This Is England fails completely in that regard.

To be fair, I've never finished Crash because of the same problems. I did at least finish This Is England. ;)
Old 02-05-2008, 03:55 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthgar the Brazen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adora View Post
I've been hearing this. I enjoyed the first one, but the second one sucked dead, drippy donkey balls, so I've been afraid to even try this iteration. I may have to have a look-see at a cheap (pre-noon) show.
It's been a couple of weeks but I finally got to see the second RE movie. Man, did it suck - even more than you said here. But at least it put the third one into perspective, sort of.

I saw Extinction with a couple of friends. We all went assured it would be stupid but fun. We were right. Looking back I want to say that Extinction is marginally better than Revolution or Revulsion, I forget - and don't care to look - the actual title.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:41 PM

I saw The Last of the Mohicans on TV recently. I enjoyed the spectacular out doors stuff - shot in North Carolina, I believe. I thought Daniel Day-Lewis did well as Hawkeye, and I almost lapped up the regular strong doses of violence. Wes Studi was incredibly menacing as Magua.

I haven't read the book. Should I rush out and buy it? Any James Fenimore Cooper fans here?
Old 02-05-2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post

I haven't read the book. Should I rush out and buy it? Any James Fenimore Cooper fans here?
I read several Deerslayer books as a kid, and liked them. That was before I read Mark Twain's famous essay enumerating Cooper's literary offenses. It's hard to read the books with a straight face after reading it:

Fenimore Cooper's Literary Offenses
Old 02-05-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDS View Post
I read several Deerslayer books as a kid, and liked them. That was before I read Mark Twain's famous essay enumerating Cooper's literary offenses. It's hard to read the books with a straight face after reading it:
Thanks for the link to Mark Twain's essay on Fenimore Cooper. I've just this minute checked out the contents in my copy of The Portable Mark Twain and found the essay included there. For some reason, I've never bothered to read it. I shall enjoy doing so tonight.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:26 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

Recently Enjoyed:
Deja Vu
The Last King of Scotland
The Kingdom

Did not enjoy:
Running with Scissors
Old 02-05-2008, 06:42 PM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

Eastern Promises. It's amazing. The fight scene in the Turkish bath is as superlative as the reviewers said it was, and Viggo is some kind of genius.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:48 PM

I thought Eastern Promises was excellent, too, despite some holes in the plot. The translucent, ice-cold blue eyes of the head Russian are worth the price of admission. For some reason, I've been going to lots of movies recently -- here are the quick capsules:

No Country for Old Men – Excellent and gripping – especially for me, who often fantasized about finding a satchel of money, and would have done better with it. (My favorite, along with Eastern Promises)

Juno – Very cute, although not quite worth the rave reviews because of some over-done and artificially cute dialogue.

Lars and the Real Girl – Equally cute. I liked the psychiatrist, who played the role as a woman who maintained a façade of saneness, despite being mad as a hatter.

Persepolis – Interesting animation and story – but not quite interesting enough to avoid occasional watch-checking.

Enchanted – The animated scenes were excellent – the rest of the movie was mediocre (excfept for the musical production number). Despite an encouraging first hour, the movie was ruined by the excruciating ending.

There Will be Blood – Despite critics raves, and some excellent cinematography and interesting music, the movie didn’t quite hold my interest. There were no sympathetic characters, and the conflict between the two main characters simply made one wish that they would kill each other.

Michael Clayton – Good entertainment, but not much to it beyond that.

Charlie Wilson’s War – See “Michael Clayton"

Into the Wild – I thought it was disappointing, mainly because it warped the values of the book. Some pretty scenery, though.

American Gangster—Reasonably good entertainment – perhaps a notch below Michael Clayton.

Golden Compass – OK, I guess. I hadn’t read the book.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:26 AM
Vaginally-privileged sociopathic cultist

Cassandra's Dream. Not fabulous, but not horrid. If you dislike it, turn off your brain and enjoy London and the pretty lead actors.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature