Old 10-27-2017, 02:56 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Default Frustration

I get extremely frustrated when watching a WWII documentary about some Naval action or battle, and the producers are constantly using the wrong footage to illustrate the action. Almost Every time there is a reference to a ship sinking they show the film of the HMS Barham blowing up or the SMS Szent István rolling over, even when that is not the subject of the film. The other most obvious error is the use of the wrong guns firing, they have even shown German guns to illustrate a Japanese BB firing. The German BB's never got out of the Atlantic and the Japanese BB's didn't get out of the Pacific during WWII.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:16 PM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

Default Re: Frustration

I've sometimes seen Iowa-class battleships depicted as German or Japanese ships. Most egregiously, I saw a movie once in which the main characters were repeatedly said to be on a destroyer -- but every time they showed an external shot of the "destroyer," it was stock footage of the USS New Jersey.

In a similar vein, "misplaced wildlife" is very common in movies and television shows. I can't begin to count the number of times I've seen some movie showing wildlife that doesn't live anywhere near where the movie is supposed to take place -- like, for instance, seeing a "Tarzan" movie where all the monkeys are New World Monkeys instead of Old World Monkeys.

In some cases, this leads to people having very mistaken ideas about plants and animals. For example, most people I encounter seem to think that most or all frogs make a sound like "ribbit" when they call.

There's one species of frog that goes "ribbit"; it's the Pacific Tree Frog (Pseudacris regilla). It lives only in the Pacific coastal region of North America (as far inland as parts of Idaho). Buuut, since that's the species that Hollywood sound engineers recorded umpteen years ago as "Generic Frog Sounds," that's the call you hear in 90% of Hollywood movies when they want you to think of frogs. Never mind that in most such cases, the movie is set somewhere that Pseudacris regilla does not occur.
Thanks, from:
Ari (10-27-2017), Corona688 (12-26-2017)
Old 10-27-2017, 07:24 PM
I'm Deplorable.

It is very wrenching to be watching a documentary and see something that is so out of place, but the excuse is usually that the viewer won't know the difference. My wife and I like to watch a series called "As Time Goes By" and during one series of episodes a movie is being made about part of the life of the 2 main characters. The excuse given for totally misrepresenting the British characters is that what was being shown is what "Middle America" expects to see when a British person is being depicted.
Old 12-26-2017, 01:41 AM
Forum Killer

What about that movie about capturing a U-Boat where they replaced the British with Americans just for the sheer hell of it?
Old 12-26-2017, 03:21 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688 View Post
What about that movie about capturing a U-Boat where they replaced the British with Americans just for the sheer hell of it?
I don't remember seeing the movie but I read about the British navy capturing a German sub and then the Royal navy sank it by mistake. The Americans did capture a U-Boat (U-505) and it was on display in Chicago where I was able to go through it in the early 60's. I remember they had doorways cut into the hull fore and aft so you didn't have to go down the hatches to get in.
Old 12-28-2017, 12:35 AM
A fellow sophisticate

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
In a similar vein, "misplaced wildlife" is very common in movies and television shows. I can't begin to count the number of times I've seen some movie showing wildlife that doesn't live anywhere near where the movie is supposed to take place -- like, for instance, seeing a "Tarzan" movie where all the monkeys are New World Monkeys instead of Old World Monkeys.
The Tarzan series with Ron Ely as Tarzan (pre-Doc Savage) was filmed in South American somewhere. I bet Cheetah the Chimp felt quite out of place there.
The Lone Ranger (12-28-2017)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > The Sciences