Old 02-21-2012, 11:13 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
You are becoming way too aggressive for my taste. Before we talk again, you really need to take a chill pill.

Duck and run, little weasel.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by specious_reasons View Post
Quote:
It actually does matter. If all the other senses work when the stimuli is received, why don't the eyes work in the same way? Dogs should be able to recognize their masters from pictures alone if the eyes are a sense organ, but they don't. Animals immediately react to the smell of their owner, and they immediately recognize the sound of their owner's voice, but they can't recognize their owner's picture without the help of their other senses. There's no point in going over this again.
I have 2 young dogs and an elderly dog. The young ones need to be walked much more than the elderly one. Normally, I'll walk around the block with the youngsters and leave oldest inside. He's deaf, just about 100% deaf. He can't really smell through the 2 doors, at least not to detect me and the others, and there's a decent chance I'm downwind of him.

Regardless, when he sees me walking back from around the block he reacts. He can't hear me, he can't smell or feel me, and it's really unlikely that he's tasting me, but he still reacts.
Obviously, he sees something. It could be your gait that he recognizes. I never said dogs can't see anything. They just don't recognize individual features. I also have two dogs. My elderly dog used to notice when an animal was on television because of the type of movement and she'd run up to the television set, smell it, cock her head sideways as if to be confused, and walk away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by specious_reasons
Ever use a laser pointer on cats or dogs? The laser is a bright spot of light, nothing more or less, and animals react to it. Lessans' ideas are so flawed that it can't accurately explain the most basic of observations.
Of course animals react to light. Who is saying they don't? Some animals can see very sharp distant objects. The only thing Lessans is saying is that individual features are not recognized without some other clue. That gives us a clue that the eyes work differently than the other senses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by specious_reasons
No one is going to believe Lessans because his ideas defy observed reality. Period. Your continued defense of his ideas about vision are a testament to your dysfunction.
My elderly sheepdog knows the sound of my car and will start barking the minute my car door closes. So there obviously is an association, but interestingly enough, if I stand back from the door, she approaches me cautiously until she smells me or hears my voice to confirm that it's me. His ideas do not defy observed reality.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:34 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
Of course animals react to light. Who is saying they don't? Some animals can see very sharp distant objects. The only thing Lessans is saying is that individual features are not recognized without some other clue. That gives us a clue that the eyes work differently than the other senses.
:lol:

There she is, babbling about dogs again, because she can't answer the questions about Mars, the moons of Jupiter, etc.

Not only does she ignore (in one ear and out the other) all the studies we have linked to her proving that dogs can indeed recognize their masters' faces and even recognize them from photographs, she also conveniently ignores, or has forgotten (in one ear and out the other!) the recent article I liked to about how dogs can recognize, on video, not just human faces but specific human social cues. What about that, eh, peacegirl? There ARE no other clues or cues, except visual. Oh, well, Lessans was wrong again! At least he could hustle people pool and sell them cheap and defective aluminum siding, so he was able to get by, I guess.

:lol:
Old 02-22-2012, 12:09 AM
here to bore you with pictures

Quote:
The only thing Lessans is saying is that individual features are not recognized without some other clue. That gives us a clue that the eyes work differently than the other senses.
Even if it were true, and it's not, it would give us a clue that dogs have different cognitive abilities. Vision works in the same way, from the animals with simple eye spots to complex ones like mammals: by the detection of light.

Even if there were some room for debate on this subject, Lessans ideas are still inferior to the current scientific theory. His ideas on vision have no chance of ever catching hold.
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (02-22-2012)
Old 02-22-2012, 02:31 AM
I'm Deplorable.

To be fair, yes the eyes work differently than the other senses. The ears pick up slight differences in the pressure and vibrations of the air. The tongue and other parts of the mouth pick up on different chemical compounds in the food and drink we consume. the nose detects different chemical compounds in the air we breath. The nerves in our skin respond to pressure and relay that to the brain to intrepret. All the senses work differently from the others, so there is no reason to single out sight because it is different than the others, of course it's different as they all are. Sight, the eyes, detect photons that pass through the lens and are focused onto the retina and the signals through the optic nerve are intrepreted by the brain as images. All the senses are different, if they were all the same what would be the point of having 5 different ones? Lessans ideas about conditioning were complete and utter nonsense, conditioning happens in the brain and not outside the body. The brain is conditioned internally and does not project anything out through the eyes, that is the idea of an ignorant fool without any understanding of human nature and physiology.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:02 AM
God Made Me A Skeptic

Peacegirl, the point is that all the claims about "efferent" vision are obviously wrong. We can prove that light travels and that's how things work. That's how light works, that's how eyes work, in us and in every other species.

So the guy was full of shit.

That your posts here themselves conclusively disprove his claim about the effect on other people of believing his nonsense hardly helps the matter.
Save me / and when you see me strut / remind me of what left this outlaw torn
Old 02-22-2012, 11:16 AM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey
The white light hitting the ball simply consists of the blue light and the non-blue light that it contains. Nothing else. That's all white light is. If the non-blue part is sucked in and used up by the ball, and the blue part is instantly at the film, then there is nothing left to be bouncing off the object. Not only can there be no white light bouncing off, but there cannot be any light at all bouncing off.
That's false.
Which part of what I said was false, and why do you think it is false?

Quote:
The light that is absorbed is not bouncing off...

The light that turns up at the film [...] is not bouncing off of anything...

As white light bounces off...
You've completely missed my entire point. The white sunlight hitting the ball consists of two parts: the blue light and the non-blue light. Nothing else. If the non-blue part of that sunlight is absorbed, then that part doesn't bounce off. If the blue part of it turns up at the distant film, then that part doesn't bounce off either. So if neither part of the sunlight hitting the ball bounces off, then how can white sunlight still be bouncing off the ball?

Quote:
I think it does address the question. The blue wavelength light does not bounce off the object with the full spectrum light or without it. It is present as we look at the object. You're missing the whole model.
If the blue part of the spectrum is not bouncing off, then what is bouncing off cannot be the full spectrum. The blue part will be missing.

Quote:
Wrong Spacemonkey. You're not getting it. Those blue photons are present because of the ability of the object to absorb the non-blue photons, but this is a continual process where full spectrum visible light first strikes the object and the non-absorbed and absorbed light gets split up, so to speak, but this light does not bounce and travel. Only white light does this. The difference here is that, if sight is efferent, we are able to get an instant mirror image on our retina or film due to this (P) light and how the eyes work as they look out at the world.
This doesn't show that what I said was wrong at all. If the blue-wavelength photons are not bouncing off the ball, but are instead at the distant film immediately after hitting it, then they have instantaneously relocated themselves. That means they have teleported.

Quote:
I said that the blue light exists only because the object has absorbed the non-blue light and continues to do so as the full spectrum light bounces off of the object. So what is left is (P) reflected light which continues to be at the film/retina. When the blue photons have dispersed (the inverse square law), the object can no longer be seen, in which case there will be no image, just white light.
The blue light existed before it ever got to the ball. It was a part of the sunlight traveling towards that ball. The full spectrum cannot bounce off the ball if the non-blue part of that spectrum has been absorbed by the ball. What has been absorbed cannot still bounce off, and white light minus the non-blue part does not still equal a full spectrum. And the blue-wavelength photons cannot 'disperse' unless they are traveling. Only traveling light can disperse.

Quote:
You're right, it is no longer white light when the non-blue photons are absorbed.
So what bounces off the ball cannot be full spectrum white sunlight, can it?

Quote:
Quote:
1) Where are the blue-wavelength photons, contained within the sunlight striking the blue ball, at the point in time immediately after they hit the ball?
The blue-wavelength photons are (P) reflected until the light fades (due to the inverse square law). When that blue wavelength light is too far away from the object, white light continues traveling.
I didn't ask what happens to them. I asked you: Where are they? You haven't answered the question.

Quote:
Quote:
2) Where were the blue photons, which are at the film interacting with it to produce a photographic image of the blue ball when the photograph is taken, at the point in time immediately before the photograph is taken.
The blue photon is just coming into existence as new photons are constantly being absorbed and (P) reflected by the object.
Coming into existence means that they didn't exist previously, and therefore cannot be the same (P)reflected photons that were previously at the object. And you previously rejected the answer that the photons at the film are newly existing photons. So you still haven't answered the question: Where were these photons just before the photograph was taken? Are they newly existing, magically popping into existence from nowhere at the film? Or were they at the object just immediately before the photograph was taken? Or were they somewhere else?

Quote:
[I]I have been very consistent. The non-blue wavelength light is being absorbed. The blue wavelength light is being (P) reflected.
Then nothing is left to bounce off the object, unless you think some light can be both absorbed and still bouncing off, or (P)reflected and still bouncing off?

Quote:
There is nothing turning up instantly at distant films and retinas Spacemonkey.

The blue photon is (P) reflected and appears instantly at the retina because it meets the requirements of efferent vision.
Make up your mind and stop contradicting yourself.

Quote:
Quote:
These seven differently colored photons are hitting the ball. They comprise the sunlight hitting the ball. I want you to tell me where each one of them is 0.0001sec after this collection of photons hits the ball. Which ones are absorbed (such that they get sucked in and used up, and do not bounce off)? Which ones bounce off and start traveling away from the ball at the speed of light? Which ones instantly appear at distant films or retinas? Which ones, if any, are in more than one place 0.0001sec after hitting the ball?
The red, orange, green, indigo, and violet photons get absorbed. The blue photon is (P) reflected and appears instantly at the retina because it meets the requirements of efferent vision.
Then none of them bounce off the object, do they? And the blue photon just teleported from the object to the retina.

Quote:
White light continues to bounce off of the object...
Bzzzzzzzzt! The white light just is all seven photons. And you just told me none of them are bouncing off the object. Therefore white light cannot be bouncing off the object.

Quote:
Quote:
If you want to speak of blue light, non-blue light, or white sunlight, then the following definitions apply with respect to our seven photons:

Blue light =(def) The blue photon.

Non-blue light =(def) The red, orange, yellow, green, indigo, and violet photons.

White sunlight =(def) All seven photons.
Got it. :)
Obviously you didn't.
Bump.
2nd bump.

:weasel:
Old 02-22-2012, 01:13 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Quote:
The eyes should work like a sense organ, which means that something goes in and there is a reaction. In all the other senses, that's how it works. WHY NOT THE EYES?
Dogs can react to visual cues (they see something and they react) You admitted yourself a few posts back. They see a laser light and chase it (watched a dog do it last night). The laser light has no smell and no sound. That means the eyes are a sense organ.

That they can see and react to what they see is not what you were referring to at all.

You are talking about a specific type of recognition. That recognition is way beyond "you see you react"

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
Dogs should be able to recognize their masters from pictures alone if the eyes are a sense organ, but they don't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
This is a completely made up "should". Nothing in optics, neuroscience, anatomy, or any other vision related field says anything remotely like "Dogs should be able to recognize their masters from pictures alone".
Quote:
if the eyes are a sense organ, dogs SHOULD be able to recognize their master just like they recognize their master from their other senses.
You are assigning a should where one doesn't belong. Recognition is about how the stimuli are processed in the brain.

Here you go, if the nose is a sense organ, you should be able to recognize YOUR dog by the smell of its urine on a towel...you should be able to differentiate between your dogs and distinguish your dogs urine from other dogs.

Quote:
If you think I am wrong, find me any literature, citation, or copy pasted link that indicates any relevant field of science predicts or states that this "should" be the case.

If you cannot do so, then I will stand on my belief that Lessans pulled that straight out of his ass.
Quote:
You are becoming way too aggressive for my taste. Before we talk again, you really need to take a chill pill. :yup:
You are weaseling because you can't answer

Last edited by LadyShea; 02-22-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (02-22-2012), But (02-22-2012)
Old 02-22-2012, 01:41 PM
God Made Me A Skeptic

If you arrange for the light entering a dog's eyes to be exactly the same as it would be if they were looking at their master, they'd react the same way. But that's not the case with a two-dimensional photo!
Old 02-22-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The white light hitting the ball simply consists of the blue light and the non-blue light that it contains. Nothing else. That's all white light is. If the non-blue part is sucked in and used up by the ball, and the blue part is instantly at the film, then there is nothing left to be bouncing off the object. Not only can there be no white light bouncing off, but there cannot be any light at all bouncing off.
That's false.
Which part of what I said was false, and why do you think it is false?

Quote:
The light that is absorbed is not bouncing off...

The light that turns up at the film [...] is not bouncing off of anything...

As white light bounces off...
You've completely missed my entire point. The white sunlight hitting the ball consists of two parts: the blue light and the non-blue light. Nothing else. If the non-blue part of that sunlight is absorbed, then that part doesn't bounce off. If the blue part of it turns up at the distant film, then that part doesn't bounce off either. So if neither part of the sunlight hitting the ball bounces off, then how can white sunlight still be bouncing off the ball?

Quote:
I think it does address the question. The blue wavelength light does not bounce off the object with the full spectrum light or without it. It is present as we look at the object. You're missing the whole model.
If the blue part of the spectrum is not bouncing off, then what is bouncing off cannot be the full spectrum. The blue part will be missing.

Quote:
Wrong Spacemonkey. You're not getting it. Those blue photons are present because of the ability of the object to absorb the non-blue photons, but this is a continual process where full spectrum visible light first strikes the object and the non-absorbed and absorbed light gets split up, so to speak, but this light does not bounce and travel. Only white light does this. The difference here is that, if sight is efferent, we are able to get an instant mirror image on our retina or film due to this (P) light and how the eyes work as they look out at the world.
This doesn't show that what I said was wrong at all. If the blue-wavelength photons are not bouncing off the ball, but are instead at the distant film immediately after hitting it, then they have instantaneously relocated themselves. That means they have teleported.

Quote:
I said that the blue light exists only because the object has absorbed the non-blue light and continues to do so as the full spectrum light bounces off of the object. So what is left is (P) reflected light which continues to be at the film/retina. When the blue photons have dispersed (the inverse square law), the object can no longer be seen, in which case there will be no image, just white light.
The blue light existed before it ever got to the ball. It was a part of the sunlight traveling towards that ball. The full spectrum cannot bounce off the ball if the non-blue part of that spectrum has been absorbed by the ball. What has been absorbed cannot still bounce off, and white light minus the non-blue part does not still equal a full spectrum. And the blue-wavelength photons cannot 'disperse' unless they are traveling. Only traveling light can disperse.

Quote:
You're right, it is no longer white light when the non-blue photons are absorbed.
So what bounces off the ball cannot be full spectrum white sunlight, can it?

Quote:
Quote:
1) Where are the blue-wavelength photons, contained within the sunlight striking the blue ball, at the point in time immediately after they hit the ball?
The blue-wavelength photons are (P) reflected until the light fades (due to the inverse square law). When that blue wavelength light is too far away from the object, white light continues traveling.
Quote:
I didn't ask what happens to them. I asked you: Where are they? You haven't answered the question.
What do you mean "where are they"? They are there as far as the (P) reflection goes. They don't go farther than that.

Quote:
2) Where were the blue photons, which are at the film interacting with it to produce a photographic image of the blue ball when the photograph is taken, at the point in time immediately before the photograph is taken.
The blue photon is just coming into existence as new photons are constantly being absorbed and (P) reflected by the object.
Quote:
Coming into existence means that they didn't exist previously, and therefore cannot be the same (P)reflected photons that were previously at the object. And you previously rejected the answer that the photons at the film are newly existing photons.
I fixed that. I said they were newly existing photons coming from the Sun.

Quote:
So you still haven't answered the question: Where were these photons just before the photograph was taken? Are they newly existing, magically popping into existence from nowhere at the film? Or were they at the object just immediately before the photograph was taken? Or were they somewhere else?
They are newly existing photons that are constantly being (P) reflected and absorbed or passing through.

Quote:
[I]I have been very consistent. The non-blue wavelength light is being absorbed. The blue wavelength light is being (P) reflected.
Quote:
Then nothing is left to bounce off the object, unless you think some light can be both absorbed and still bouncing off, or (P)reflected and still bouncing off?
Again, you have to think in terms of efferent vision. The blue wavelength light is present but can be used only as a condition of sight. It does not travel; it is there at the film/retina instantly if this model of sight is correct. That does not mean that white light is not constantly in motion. It just means that when we're looking at the object, we don't see white light, we see blue. When the blue wavelength light is too distant for it to appear on the film/retina, we still get white light because that's the light that is continually streaming from the Sun and traveling through space and time.

Quote:
There is nothing turning up instantly at distant films and retinas Spacemonkey.

The blue photon is (P) reflected and appears instantly at the retina because it meets the requirements of efferent vision.
Quote:
Make up your mind and stop contradicting yourself.
Sorry, I have not contradicted myself. The blue light is instantly at the film because it meets the requirements of efferent vision which means that enough light is present and the object (or substance) is large enough to be seen.

Quote:
These seven differently colored photons are hitting the ball. They comprise the sunlight hitting the ball. I want you to tell me where each one of them is 0.0001sec after this collection of photons hits the ball. Which ones are absorbed (such that they get sucked in and used up, and do not bounce off)? Which ones bounce off and start traveling away from the ball at the speed of light? Which ones instantly appear at distant films or retinas? Which ones, if any, are in more than one place 0.0001sec after hitting the ball?
The red, orange, green, indigo, and violet photons get absorbed. The blue photon is (P) reflected and appears instantly at the retina because it meets the requirements of efferent vision.
Quote:
Then none of them bounce off the object, do they? And the blue photon just teleported from the object to the retina.
No, the blue photon does not teleport Spacemonkey. For some reason you're just not getting the concept.

Quote:
White light continues to bounce off of the object...
Quote:
Bzzzzzzzzt! The white light just is all seven photons. And you just told me none of them are bouncing off the object. Therefore white light cannot be bouncing off the object.
I told you that as light bounces off of an object, certain photons are being absorbed which displays the non-absorbed light, but as soon as the (P) light gets dispersed, we can no longer see or photograph the object due to the inverse square law, therefore we will no longer get the blue light at the film/retina; we will get all 7 colors of light (the default position).

Quote:
Quote:
If you want to speak of blue light, non-blue light, or white sunlight, then the following definitions apply with respect to our seven photons:

Blue light =(def) The blue photon.

Non-blue light =(def) The red, orange, yellow, green, indigo, and violet photons.

White sunlight =(def) All seven photons.
Got it. :)
Obviously you didn't.
YES I DID.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebs View Post
If you arrange for the light entering a dog's eyes to be exactly the same as it would be if they were looking at their master, they'd react the same way. But that's not the case with a two-dimensional photo!
Not if their other source of identification has been disabled.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Quote:
The eyes should work like a sense organ, which means that something goes in and there is a reaction. In all the other senses, that's how it works. WHY NOT THE EYES?
Dogs can react to visual cues (they see something and they react) You admitted yourself a few posts back. They see a laser light and chase it (watched a dog do it last night). The laser light has no smell and no sound. That means the eyes are a sense organ.

That they can see and react to what they see is not what you were referring to at all.

You are talking about a specific type of recognition. That recognition is way beyond "you see you react"
You're right, but there is no reason why a dog would not be able to identify the particular features of his master whom he loves by sight alone, if the image is traveling toward his eyes, transducing into signals, and going to his brain for interpretation. Dogs can interpret the smell of many things, and identify them. The same goes for the sense of taste and sound. Why not sight? Why are you not recognizing that there is something different here going on?

Quote:
Dogs should be able to recognize their masters from pictures alone if the eyes are a sense organ, but they don't.
Quote:
This is a completely made up "should". Nothing in optics, neuroscience, anatomy, or any other vision related field says anything remotely like "Dogs should be able to recognize their masters from pictures alone".
Quote:
if the eyes are a sense organ, dogs SHOULD be able to recognize their master just like they recognize their master from their other senses.
Quote:
You are assigning a should where one doesn't belong. Recognition is about how the stimuli are processed in the brain.

Here you go, if the nose is a sense organ, you should be able to recognize YOUR dog by the smell of its urine on a towel...you should be able to differentiate between your dogs and distinguish your dogs urine from other dogs.
You can't compare. We know that humans don't have that capacity because dogs have 25 times more olfactory receptors than humans do. Dogs actually capture more light in dimly lit areas which would also mean that the features of their owner would stand out if the eyes were a sense organ. They may have 20/75 vision but at that distance, the image would be clear, so once again this should not be an impediment to recognition if the eyes were acting as a sense organ. This article is very interesting.

http://www.animaleyecenter.com/Defau...ion=Two+Colors

Quote:
If you think I am wrong, find me any literature, citation, or copy pasted link that indicates any relevant field of science predicts or states that this "should" be the case.

If you cannot do so, then I will stand on my belief that Lessans pulled that straight out of his ass.
Quote:
You are becoming way too aggressive for my taste. Before we talk again, you really need to take a chill pill. :yup:
Quote:
I just did. I don't like your aggressive attitude though. Please don't come off like you know all the answers, because you don't.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
You're right, but there is no reason why a dog would not be able to identify the particular features of his master whom he loves by sight alone, if the image is traveling toward his eyes, transducing into signals, and going to his brain for interpretation. Dogs can interpret the smell of many things, and identify them. The same goes for the sense of taste and sound. Why not sight? Why are you not recognizing that there is something different here going on?
There is no reason a dog should be able to do so in the standard model of sight. That the eyes detect light and send signals to the brain doesn't say anything about what should follow in the brain as far as interpretation and connections made with that stimuli.

Why are you assigning a should without reason to do so?

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
You can't compare.
Of course I can compare. Dogs and other animals can recognize individuals from the scent of their urine. The nose is a sense organ, you should be able to do that too.
Quote:
We know that humans don't have that capacity because dogs have 25 times more olfactory receptors than humans do
And humans have much better visual acuity than dogs, so why should dogs use sight the same way humans do?
Quote:
To give you a feeling about how poor this vision is, you should know that if your visual acuity is worse than 20/40 you would fail the standard vision test given when you apply for a driver's license in the United States and would be required to wear glasses. A dog's vision is considerably worse than this.

Don't let these numbers fool you, however. Although the dog's visual acuity is considerably less than that of a normal human, a lot of information is still getting from his eyes to his brain, even though the focus is "soft" and he won't be able to make out many details. The effect is something like viewing the world through a fine mesh gauze, or a piece of cellophane that has been smeared with a light coat of petroleum jelly. The overall outlines of objects are visible but a lot of the internal details will be blurred and might even be lost.How good is a dog’s visual acuity compared to that of people? | Psychology Today
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I just did. I don't like your aggressive attitude though. Please don't come off like you know all the answers, because you don't.
You didn't answer why dog's should be able to recognize individual humans from photographs based on available scientific literature. 2D photographs do not reflect light the same way a 3D face does, it's a completely different visual experience.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (02-22-2012)
Old 02-22-2012, 02:41 PM
God Made Me A Skeptic

How do you know dogs don't recognize the picture as being a picture of their master?

If you see a photo of someone you know, do you walk up to it and start talking, because it looks just like them? Of course not!
Thanks, from:
But (02-22-2012)
Old 02-22-2012, 02:45 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You can't compare. We know that humans don't have that capacity because dogs have 25 times more olfactory receptors than humans do. Dogs actually capture more light in dimly lit areas which would also mean that the features of their owner would stand out if the eyes were a sense organ. They may have 20/75 vision but at that distance, the image would be clear, so once again this should not be an impediment to recognition if the eyes were acting as a sense organ. This article is very interesting.

Dogs do recognize things by sight alone which has been demonstrated by numerous tests, and the only thing wrong with those tests is that Peacegirl doesn't like them because they contradict Lessans book. All the qualities of sense organs apply equally to the eyes as to the others, Peacegirl has only claimed they are different to create a false problem for efferent vision to solve. But efferent vision does not solve any problems with the current theory of afferent vision because there are no problems that need to be solved. There are still questions about how the brain processes the signals from the eye and what parts of the brain do which exact process but this is all internal to the brain and does not involve external processes.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (02-22-2012)
Old 02-22-2012, 03:10 PM

She is moving the goalposts as usual. She's trying to support requiring a very specific ability (recognizing facial features from a photograph) with very generalized visual acuity data.
Thanks, from:
seebs (02-22-2012)
Old 02-22-2012, 03:47 PM
God Made Me A Skeptic

Quote:
How do you know dogs don't recognize the picture as being a picture of their master?

If you see a photo of someone you know, do you walk up to it and start talking, because it looks just like them? Of course not!
I realize now I should clarify:

Do humans in general consistently interact with photographs as though they are the things they are photographs of? (More interestingly: Consider that humans do make these mistakes in some cases, such as when there's not enough light for the optical sense organs to work reliably.)

I need to clarify this because it occurs to me that for all I know, peacegirl does exactly that.
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (09-01-2012)
Old 02-22-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I realize now I should clarify:

Do humans in general consistently interact with photographs as though they are the things they are photographs of? (More interestingly: Consider that humans do make these mistakes in some cases, such as when there's not enough light for the optical sense organs to work reliably.)

I need to clarify this because it occurs to me that for all I know, peacegirl does exactly that.
I don't believe there are any mistakes made. We have to therefore empirically test these claims. Yes, humans make mistakes, but not all the time. Not every single time. Even if dogs see more clearly at 75 feet, it would be easy to set up an experiment where a huge billboard with their master's features are displayed. What would be the reason for these dogs not to be able to identify their masters features? In fact, we are going to do more than this; we are going to light up this billboard so that the dog's cones can see this billboard as clear as day. Let's determine whether the dog will be able to recognize his master when this experiment is under very specific controls.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Even if dogs see more clearly at 75 feet, it would be easy to set up an experiment where a huge billboard with their master's features are displayed. What would be the reason for these dogs not to be able to identify their masters features? In fact, we are going to do more than this; we are going to light up this billboard so that the dog's cones can see this billboard as clear as day. Let's determine whether the dog will be able to recognize his master when this experiment is under very specific controls.
How would you determine identification or recognition in your experiment? What seebs is pointing out is that dogs may in fact recognize the face in the picture, but ALSO recognize that it is a representation and not the real thing, and therefore not react in any way....or react in a way that we humans wouldn't understand and couldn't interpret as recognition or identification.

Just like you wouldn't introduce yourself to a photograph of a person, because you know it is a photograph and not the person, dogs may feel no need to interact with a photograph.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (02-22-2012)
Old 02-22-2012, 04:12 PM
God Made Me A Skeptic

Okay, let's try an experiment. Let's take a photograph of Lessans, and blow it up, and put it on a billboard, then see whether peacegirl, upon seeing it, thinks that it is evidence of physical resurrection.

If she doesn't immediately say "wow, my dad is alive again!", we should conclude that she cannot recognize a photograph of a person as being the same as the person.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (02-22-2012), LadyShea (09-01-2012), Stephen Maturin (02-22-2012)
Old 02-22-2012, 05:05 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
She is moving the goalposts as usual. She's trying to support requiring a very specific ability (recognizing facial features from a photograph) with very generalized visual acuity data.

There have been tests of a dog's ability to recognize people in a photograph but Peacegirl has rejected them simply because they contradict Lessans claims in the book. In effect Peacegirl has not really moved the goalposts because they have always been total acceptance and agreement with Lessans claims, anything else falls short of the goal in Peacegirls eyes. She should probably have her vision checked along with her sanity, or perhaps she already checked them when she entered this forum.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:07 PM
God Made Me A Skeptic

Linky to the tests? I am very curious as to how they are measuring/detecting recognition.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:10 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Linky to the tests? I am very curious as to how they are measuring/detecting recognition.
I didn't post them I believe that was LadyShea or TLR, but they are back in the thread or in the other one? Sorry I can't tell you where right now. I'll look when I have time, I need to go now relatively important meeting I need to attend.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:04 PM

Seebs, there are several articles and abstracts throughout this thread. I'll try to suss out a good search term.

IIRC some used gaze/attention time, and at least one had the dogs choose from between two photographs and they chose (preferred) familiar pictures of landscapes far, far more often than novel ones and familiar people to strangers....the brief abstract didn't detail how the choice was demonstrated. It could have been as simple as sitting in front of the chosen picture, or more complex like pushing a lever or button or something, but I don't know.

There is a video of a Border Collie that can distinguish between 1000+ toys by their names, meaning if you tell her "Go get Peaches" she can go behind a barrier (to prevent signaling from the trainer) to a huge pile of toys and choose Peaches from all of them (that was on Nova Science Now if you want to look it up on YouTube).
Old 02-22-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Generalized visual acuity data? It's as specific as you can get? Talk about moving the goalposts! I don't care if it's a photograph or a real person, or even if that person is made larger so that the resolution is perfectly clear. If Lessans is right, the dog's master will not be able to be identified due to the eyes not being a sense organ.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy