Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Computers & Technology

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-10-2019, 12:58 AM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Default Dumbian is more like it!

I have been having a series of stupid problems with Debian on my new system. It keeps losing my keyboard and my mouse, and every time I log in, I have to manually create a new profile for my monitor. I'll get it working, reboot, and it just throws me errors saying the profile is unusable, which is fine because so usually are my mouse and/or my keyboard. (Yes, I have tried different USB ports.)

Are any of you guys using Debian and having problems like this, and/or know how to fix it? I've found other internet people having the problem, but none of the suggested solutions work. I'd kind of like to get it actually working, but if it's going to be like this, I'd just as soon switch distros. I've been meaning to get a new SSD, so I'm thinking I might just get it sooner rather than later and do a fresh install on that.

Which leads me to my other question: Which one? I haven't used Ubuntu in a long time, because I really really didn't care for it at least as of a few years ago. It just took too much time and effort to clean up all the bloat. Should I try that again, or something else? I want something widely enough adopted that common problems are documented fairly well, and not by rude neckbeards who just post recursive links to search results.

There is no poll. This is an ESSAY question.
Thanks, from:
But (02-10-2019), ceptimus (02-10-2019), Crumb (02-10-2019), JoeP (02-10-2019), slimshady2357 (02-10-2019), SR71 (02-10-2019), Stephen Maturin (02-11-2019), Stormlight (02-11-2019)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Computers & Technology