Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law

Old 08-17-2009, 09:14 PM
Fishy mokey

Default Re: Health Care Reform Dead

Because journalism is deader than a fucking dodo that has been beaten to dead with a fossil doorknob.
chunksmediocrites (08-20-2009), freemonkey (08-20-2009), Garnet (08-17-2009), lisarea (08-17-2009), Nullifidian (08-19-2009), The Man (04-10-2014)
Old 08-17-2009, 09:18 PM
Vice Cobra Assistant Commander

Because movement conservatism has managed to ingrain the myth of a liberal media so deeply in the public consciousness that media outlets are afraid to refuse air time to any right wing figure, no matter how lunatic their talking points are, for fear of being accused of bias?
Thanks, from:
Garnet (08-17-2009), LadyShea (08-17-2009), lisarea (08-17-2009), Nullifidian (08-19-2009), The Man (04-10-2014)
Old 08-17-2009, 11:03 PM
Babby Police

Funny you should mention that. Mat Staver was just telling Headline News* some teachers are going to jail for praying.

* Yeah, I know. But still, it's part of CNN.
Thanks, from:
Nullifidian (08-19-2009)
Old 08-19-2009, 06:12 AM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
There is absolutely no reason that that 'death panel' garbage should have gotten the legs it did, and been treated as anything more significant than chupacabra sightings or people who think the government has planted tracking chips in them.
The government has implanted chupacabras with tracking chips? I did not know that. Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:39 AM
Mr. Condescending Dick Nose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watser? View Post
Because journalism is deader than a fucking dodo that has been beaten to dead with a fossil doorknob.
:yeahthat:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickthinks View Post

Prejudice leads us to lower our standards of truth and honesty, of justice and mercy, and of liberty and honour. Of course, we can justify these lowered standards on the grounds that it is only those who are 'on our side' who are excused from the full requirements of truthfulness etc. and we have nothing to fear from our own people.

But if all parties make the same excuse for their own people (and, naturally, they usually do) then truth is sacrificed at the first hint of social conflict. We start to demand that our journalists match the dishonesty of their journalists and, before you know it, the entire press corp is lying to us with every word they write and every frame they shoot. (But it is OK, because we're not fooled by the lies of the opposition, and we actually like being told the lies of our own side!)

But the problem is this; the media provide the only window through which the voters can observe their leaders in action. So if the window is full of distortions, then our politicians are obliged to present themselves in a distorted way. And when the newscorps have all been bought up by the barons, this means selling out to some vested interest in exchange for the necessary protection of some friendly coverage. It becomes a requirement for anyone who seeks political office to cultivate a conspiracy to manipulate the truth.

In this way, the corruption of our democratic system is a direct consequence of the corrupt influence of our media. I think the corrupt media is a direct consequence of insufficently high standards of honesty and integrity imposed by us citizens, because we lowered our standards for reasons like those you have presented here.

"We don't need to be as upright as they do" is the new mantra, and in my view, just like it's twin "The end justifies the means", it is a false and dangerous one.

Thanks for giving me the chance to talk this through! :)

Mick
Old 08-19-2009, 10:40 AM

chunksmediocrites (08-20-2009), Crumb (08-19-2009), Jug Pilot (08-19-2009), Kael (08-19-2009), Qingdai (08-20-2009), S.Vashti (08-19-2009), SharonDee (08-19-2009), The Man (04-10-2014), zachhcaz22 (08-19-2009)
Old 08-19-2009, 07:34 PM
Done

Health reform is not dead, and it looks like the public option is still on the table. :pray:
Old 08-19-2009, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plant Woman View Post
Health reform is not dead, and it looks like the public option is still on the table. :pray:
With a lead house republican saying he won’t vote for the bill even with the watered down co-op or any bill, a few democrats now are mumbling they want to say to the republicans fuck you and want to put single payer back on the table.

Of course being fresh new balls they won’t come on TV and say it. :D Everyone!!! We need to water these newly grown balls and help them grow! Where is Lewis Black and his personal ball washer when we need him? :D
Old 08-19-2009, 10:57 PM
Done

I agree, and since the "just say no" party is not going to give any concessions, work on the democrats to get behind health reform or perish. With a majority of the people wanting this, I think it would be foolish to not vote for reform. It's not a luxury item, this is a necessity.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:24 PM
rude, crude, lewd, and unsophisticated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jug Pilot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plant Woman View Post
With a lead house republican saying he won’t vote for the bill even with the watered down co-op or any bill, a few democrats now are mumbling they want to say to the republicans fuck you and want to put single payer back on the table.

Of course being fresh new balls they won’t come on TV and say it. :D Everyone!!! We need to water these newly grown balls and help them grow! Where is Lewis Black and his personal ball washer when we need him? :D
I sent my packet of ball-wash detergent to my Congresscritter yesterday...I hope I packed it with enough growth hormones.

But, y'know...I've got to be careful, because my Congresscritter was the author of the 'death panels' language.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:37 PM
Guðríð the Gloomy

I need to send something to my congress critters.

Text to Republican congress critter:

Stop lying, shithead!

Text to Democratic congress critter:

Grow some balls and get it done!

Think those will work?
lisarea (08-19-2009), The Man (04-10-2014), Watser? (08-19-2009)
Old 08-20-2009, 12:03 AM

I only dealt with my non-Senate Congresscritter.

Here, one Democratic senator is a nOOb, while the veteran Democratic senator is selling out as fast as he can, having started talking about 'death taxes' after marrying a multi-millionaire publishing heiress. Now that he can truly qualify for the 'limosine liberal' status, he's bailing on his long time 'ordinary citizens of Multnomah County' schtick. I've written him off as sell-out.

I think I'm going to start using inheritance taxes as a litmus test.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:28 AM
Dogehlaugher -Scrutari

I wrote my congressman a while back. I also used "As a health care provider and a constituent" as my lead in.

Balls to the wall.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qingdai View Post

Balls to the wall.
If they're not there, then it's time to nail them there.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:34 AM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnet View Post
I'm beginning to think that there's no chance any more for decent health care reform. It's been poisoned by the lunatic fringe to the point that I just don't see how anything of value is going to pass.

I'd love to be wrong.
I wish you were wrong as well, but the lunatics appear to be running the asylum.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:37 AM
liar in wolf's clothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnet View Post
I need to send something to my congress critters.

Text to Republican congress critter:

Stop lying, shithead!

Text to Democratic congress critter:

Grow some balls and get it done!

Think those will work?
I wouldn't get your hopes up. My (D) Rep is fighting the good fight, and got a death threat for his trouble. My Democratic Senator, a freshman, is not. The senior senator, a Republican, is obviously opposed to reform but he has said some strange and nutty things recently. I think he wanted to remind folks that he is a Republican.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:41 AM

You'll gather that the debate over Obama's proposed health reforms has created much interest here in Britain, particularly since the opponents of reform have taken to attacking our NHS in order to drive their points home.

Here's a thought from the excellent John Bell on the subject, broadcast on BBC Radio 4 last Friday:
http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/...0814-1035a.mp3

I hope it provides some much needed encouragement to you Muslims reformers
chunksmediocrites (08-20-2009)
Old 08-20-2009, 01:58 AM
the internet says I'm right

According to the news I caught last night, my State is setting up a government-run insurance exchange website, not unlike the exchange put forward in the House bill. It's opening to small businesses first, then to individuals and later to large corporations.

No public option that I'm aware of, but hopefully it will make it a lot easier for those who need to or would rather purchase their own insurance rather than getting it through their employer.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfry n. glad View Post

Here, one Democratic senator is a nOOb, while the veteran Democratic senator is selling out as fast as he can, having started talking about 'death taxes' after marrying a multi-millionaire publishing heiress. Now that he can truly qualify for the 'limosine liberal' status, he's bailing on his long time 'ordinary citizens of Multnomah County' schtick. I've written him off as sell-out.

Wyden has his own pet health insurance reform bill, the Healthy Americans Act. That may be why he's not so eager to sign on with a different bill.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:30 AM

I posted this link last month, but I'm gonna post it again because I like it.

ChuckF (08-20-2009), chunksmediocrites (08-20-2009), The Man (04-10-2014)
Old 08-20-2009, 02:30 AM
Admin

Jon Stewart highlighted the contrast between people wearing anti-Bush t-shirts getting arrested at a Bush rally and people bringing AR-15s to Hitler Obama rallies. It's enough to make me want to toss those crackpots in a gas oven.
Thanks, from:
ChuckF (08-20-2009), freemonkey (08-20-2009), Nullifidian (08-20-2009), The Man (04-10-2014)
Old 08-20-2009, 03:32 AM
Dr. Jerome Corsi-Soetoro, Ph.D., Esq.

It is interesting watching the foot stomping over not getting the promised pony that poops rainbows.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:30 AM
ne plus ultraviolet

It is interesting* how often you say 'interesting', when you mean "The following load of bollocks is this moment's bon mot of trollerific distortion of the subject:" [liberals are] foot stomping over not getting the promised pony that poops rainbows.

*And by interesting here I mean predictably trite.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEROME DA GNOME View Post
It is interesting watching the foot stomping over not getting the promised pony that poops rainbows.
Yeah...Well, that's because the French got one, the English got one, the Germans got one, the Spanish got one.....

Y'know, everybody got one but us. WAAAAAAA!!

We're more like the little optimist boy in the joke...the one they gave a room full of horse manure. We're still flailing around in the horseshit, screaming, "I know there's a pony in here somewhere!!!"

I guess this country just ain't as great as all these yahoos have been telling us, huh?
Old 08-20-2009, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Adams View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by godfry n. glad View Post

Wyden has his own pet health insurance reform bill, the Healthy Americans Act. That may be why he's not so eager to sign on with a different bill.
Yeah...Well, he's a twit. He made his career as a public advocate for the Gray Panthers...representing the poor and middle-class aged. He got himself elected originally on the basis of that career and Bob Packwood (R-Sleazewad) and his box wine and grabby hands. Now, he has finagled his Senate career into a marriage with the superrich New York publishing heiress and he wants to save the fortunes of all the poor rich people who will die with obscene amounts of money...boo hoo.

I'll certainly be pushing for his removal come next election.

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law