Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law

Old 10-19-2015, 09:23 PM

Default Should countries outlaw the hijab, niqab and burka?

Should countries outlaw the hijab, niqab and burka?

Hijab, Niqab and Burka FAQ

More and more Muslims are immigrating into western nations with varying degrees of success.

Muslim Gangs Take Control of 55 Zones in Sweden - YouTube

Canada, not generally known as racist or intolerant, being a nation of immigrants, do not seem to have much use or tolerance for Muslim customs and having a religion dictate what women will wear, how they will be beaten and how they cannot refuse sex to their masters. Men.

In Quebec, "the niqab issue has really hijacked the campaign" - The Rebel

Is Canada becoming intolerant and fed up with religions or is there some other reason for Canadian hard line against the hijab, niqab and burka?

What of the U.S.?

• Muslims Establishing No-Go Zones in America • 1/14/15 • - YouTube
ISLAMIC STATES OF AMERICA - YouTube

Canada has not had a lot of problems to date. A few Honor killings when the young have refused to dress in the traditional way. I think that I would vote with the vast majority just to end Canadian Honor killings. I also see this as a safety issue in the sense that in a nation where so many do a lot of driving, to add blind spots caused by head and face wear seems like a poor idea.

To be frank though, I see Christianity and Islam as homophobic and misogynous religions and would vote for any measure that would reduce misogyny.

Are the large majority in Canada and elsewhere who would outlaw the hijab, niqab and burka wrong?

Regards
DL
Old 10-19-2015, 11:26 PM
Cmurb!

Default Re: Should countries outlaw the hijab, niqab and burka?

Quote:
No.
Anastasia Beaverhausen (10-20-2015), Ari (10-20-2015), chunksmediocrites (10-21-2015), curses (10-20-2015), Ensign Steve (10-20-2015), JoeP (10-20-2015), Kael (10-20-2015), LadyShea (10-20-2015), lisarea (10-20-2015), livius drusus (10-21-2015), Pan Narrans (10-20-2015), Qingdai (10-20-2015), S.Vashti (10-20-2015), Saxatilis (11-03-2015), Stormlight (10-20-2015), The Man (10-20-2015), Watser? (10-20-2015)
Old 10-20-2015, 12:26 AM
here to bore you with pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumb View Post
Quote:
No.
I'm generally against enforcing any restriction on people's dress. I'm also generally OK with public nudity.

However, Washington State requires an uncovered face for official identification purposes - my daughter even had to remove her glasses - and I'm OK with that. I'm also OK with health code dress restrictions, like requiring shirts and shoes.

So, in general, I think people should wear whatever they want. For specific, practical purposes, there are reasons to add and remove coverings.

What I will say is that it saddens me to see women wearing them. It's a relic of cultural oppression of women being codified into religious practice.
Thanks, from:
Old 10-20-2015, 01:06 AM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Women who wear a niqab probably do not drive.
Also I am pretty sure honor killings are illegal in Canada.
Thanks, from:
Ari (10-20-2015), chunksmediocrites (10-21-2015), Crumb (10-20-2015), Sock Puppet (10-20-2015), Stormlight (10-20-2015), Watser? (10-21-2015)
Old 10-20-2015, 01:13 AM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

I don't think that criminalizing women's clothing is a very good way to fight misogyny.

Muslim cultures can be sexist, as can Christian ones, but any religion founded in a patriarchy is likely to be pretty patriarchal. Jewish and Hindu and Buddhist cultures can be pretty awful too. I think Sikhism is generally pretty non-sexist, but Sikhs wear head coverings, too. Just like pretty much everyone else. How would you even go about distinguishing hijabs from every other head scarf?
Thanks, from:
Anastasia Beaverhausen (10-20-2015), Ari (10-20-2015), chunksmediocrites (10-21-2015), Crumb (10-20-2015), curses (10-20-2015), LadyShea (10-20-2015), livius drusus (10-21-2015), Pan Narrans (10-20-2015), Sock Puppet (10-20-2015), Stormlight (10-20-2015), The Man (10-20-2015), Watser? (10-20-2015)
Old 10-20-2015, 01:15 AM
liar in wolf's clothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnostic Christian Bishop View Post
I think that I would vote with the vast majority just to end Canadian Honor killings.
Wow, I guess I have a lot to learn about criminal law in Canada.
Thanks, from:
chunksmediocrites (10-21-2015), Crumb (10-20-2015), curses (10-20-2015), livius drusus (10-21-2015), Sock Puppet (10-20-2015), Stormlight (10-20-2015), Watser? (10-20-2015)
Old 10-20-2015, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Quote:
No.
A great way to communicate.

Why not?

Most countries have dress codes that if not adhered to brings negative consequences.

Try going out naked and see how far you get.

Do you like to see emblems of misogyny and subjugation being worn by free women who are mostly being forced to wear them?

Regards
DL
Old 10-20-2015, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by specious_reasons View Post
Quote:
Quote:
No.
I'm generally against enforcing any restriction on people's dress. I'm also generally OK with public nudity.

However, Washington State requires an uncovered face for official identification purposes - my daughter even had to remove her glasses - and I'm OK with that. I'm also OK with health code dress restrictions, like requiring shirts and shoes.

So, in general, I think people should wear whatever they want. For specific, practical purposes, there are reasons to add and remove coverings.

What I will say is that it saddens me to see women wearing them. It's a relic of cultural oppression of women being codified into religious practice.
I too dislike that we even have to think of such laws, but as a free man, it is my duty to insure that all Canadian women also have the freedoms that I enjoy.

I am not an owned man and I dislike owned women showing that they are owned.

Regards
DL
Old 10-20-2015, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Women who wear a niqab probably do not drive.
Also I am pretty sure honor killings are illegal in Canada.
Are you seriously thinking that Muslim women do not drive.

Wow.

This is not Saudi Arabia.

Speaking of which. Look at the slippery slope of oppressing women and how it leads to the mass murder of girls.

2002 Mecca girls' school fire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Regards
DL
Old 10-20-2015, 01:52 AM
Vaginally-privileged sociopathic cultist

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
No.

Why not?

Most countries have dress codes that if not adhered to brings negative consequences.

Do you like to see emblems of misogyny and subjugation being worn by free women who are mostly being forced to wear them?

Regards
DL
Actually, they're not "forced" to wear them. How about you fuck outta here with your white savior bullshit?

Any time we have tried to "save" women in non-white cultures, it goes horribly wrong.
Ari (10-20-2015), Crumb (10-20-2015), LadyShea (10-20-2015), Pan Narrans (10-20-2015), Sock Puppet (10-20-2015), Stormlight (10-20-2015), The Man (10-20-2015), Watser? (10-20-2015)
Old 10-20-2015, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
I don't think that criminalizing women's clothing is a very good way to fight misogyny.

Muslim cultures can be sexist, as can Christian ones, but any religion founded in a patriarchy is likely to be pretty patriarchal. Jewish and Hindu and Buddhist cultures can be pretty awful too. I think Sikhism is generally pretty non-sexist, but Sikhs wear head coverings, too. Just like pretty much everyone else. How would you even go about distinguishing hijabs from every other head scarf?
I guess that set and setting might be identified in the law. Head scarfs do not tend to be worn the same way though. At least none of the ones my mother ever wore.

FMPOV. Muslim men are the ones who need to be educated and who need to recognize that women in Canada are not to be treated as chattel.

This type of law should be a wake up call to them and yes, I do feel just a tad sorry for women who say that they wear such apparel voluntarily.

They, like all victims of misogyny, have learned to lie to themselves. That includes Christian women.

Regards
DL
Old 10-20-2015, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckF View Post
Quote:
I think that I would vote with the vast majority just to end Canadian Honor killings.
Wow, I guess I have a lot to learn about criminal law in Canada.
They are against the law but that does not stop misogynous Muslim men.

Our dead women and girls are a part of the statistic that sits at about 5,000 Honor killings a year world wide.

What is your best advice to end misogyny and the oppression of Canadian Muslim women?

I have a lot to learn so teach.

Regards
DL
Old 10-20-2015, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anastasia Beaverhausen View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
No.

Why not?

Regards
DL
Actually, they're not "forced" to wear them. How about you fuck outta here with your white savior bullshit?

Any time we have tried to "save" women in non-white cultures, it goes horribly wrong.
So being a free person, you do not think it your duty to have everyone else share what many have died to give you.

Nice doing unto others pal.

Listen and repent and then act like a proper free person, child.

honor diaries 001 - YouTube

Regards
DL
Old 10-20-2015, 02:10 AM
Condemned to wander the corridors of a drivel maze

Quote:
No.

LOL, proof, please! (No, your bullshit YouTube video isn't proof. Do you know the source of this bullshit story? Because I do.)

Quote:
Canada, not generally known as racist or intolerant, being a nation of immigrants, do not seem to have much use or tolerance for Muslim customs and having a religion dictate what women will wear, how they will be beaten and how they cannot refuse sex to their masters. Men.
LOL, yes these are all "Muslim customs." Your ignorance is noted.

The Rebel? The Rebel is your source for "news"? The Rebel that features Gavin Mcinnes? :lol:

You do know your heroes at Fox News profusely apologized for their "no-go zone" reports, right?

Quote:
Huh? Wuh? Honor killings are legal in Canada, and will remain so until ended by popular vote?

Quote:
I also see this as a safety issue in the sense that in a nation where so many do a lot of driving, to add blind spots caused by head and face wear seems like a poor idea.
Yes, I'm sure car safety is right at the top of your agenda! :yup:

Quote:
To be frank though, I see Christianity and Islam as homophobic and misogynous religions and would vote for any measure that would reduce misogyny.
Oh, suuuuureeee you're concerned about misogyny. :yawn:

Quote:

Regards …
Go die in a fire. :wave:

Fox News Corrects and Apologizes for No-
Go Zone Remarks

Why the Muslim 'No-Go Zone' Myth Won't Die
Thanks, from:
Anastasia Beaverhausen (10-20-2015), But (10-20-2015), chunksmediocrites (10-21-2015), JoeP (10-20-2015), Stormlight (10-20-2015), The Man (10-20-2015), Watser? (10-20-2015)
Old 10-20-2015, 02:21 AM

[quote=davidm;1239761]
Quote:
No.

Quote:

]
Here are the wife beating rules.

Wife Beating in Islam - The Rules - YouTube

Here is a statement from a child bride that was murdered for not wanting to marry an old man.

11 Year Old Child Bride Speaks Out Before Being Killed - YouTube

Thanks for supporting Islam.

Regards
DL
Old 10-20-2015, 02:23 AM
liar in wolf's clothing

Quote:
Here is a statement from a child bride that was murdered for not wanting to marry an old man.
There should be a petition or a ballot initiative or a town hall meeting to make that illegal.
Thanks, from:
Ari (10-20-2015), chunksmediocrites (10-21-2015), Crumb (10-20-2015), Stormlight (10-20-2015), Watser? (10-20-2015)
Old 10-20-2015, 02:26 AM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Quote:
Quote:

I guess that set and setting might be identified in the law. Head scarfs do not tend to be worn the same way though. At least none of the ones my mother ever wore.
As a practical matter, it just strikes me as something you would not be able to legislate clearly. There are plenty of non-Muslims who wear headscarves that look almost identical to hijab. Further, it'd very likely result in women becoming more isolated. It is very unlikely that women wearing their religious garments would just...toss them off and go about their business. Whether it's by their choice or because they're being coerced or forced to conform, many of them are likely to just end up confined to their homes rather than go out in public without their religious attire.

I just don't see how telling women what they can't wear is so different from telling them what they have to wear. I don't think the solution is for different groups of men to be using women as pawns like that.

Quote:
They, like all victims of misogyny, have learned to lie to themselves. That includes Christian women.
Wait, what does that mean? Are you talking about internalized misogyny? Because yeah, that happens, and you can't legislate it away. But not everyone who has been a victim of misogyny lies to themselves. You didn't mean to say that, did you?
Thanks, from:
chunksmediocrites (10-21-2015), Crumb (10-20-2015), LadyShea (10-20-2015), livius drusus (10-21-2015), Sock Puppet (10-20-2015), Stormlight (10-20-2015), The Man (10-20-2015), Watser? (10-20-2015)
Old 10-20-2015, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Quote:
There should be a petition or a ballot initiative or a town hall meeting to make that illegal.
I will suggest that to friends.

I have to get this friend to work on the presentation.

Miles McInnes defends the niqab! - YouTube

Regards
DL
Old 10-20-2015, 02:39 AM
liar in wolf's clothing

Maybe send a tweet about it. I wonder if it has ever been brought up on Facebook. reddit will have the answer.
Thanks, from:
Stormlight (10-20-2015)
Old 10-20-2015, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

As a practical matter, it just strikes me as something you would not be able to legislate clearly. There are plenty of non-Muslims who wear headscarves that look almost identical to hijab. Further, it'd very likely result in women becoming more isolated. It is very unlikely that women wearing their religious garments would just...toss them off and go about their business. Whether it's by their choice or because they're being coerced or forced to conform, many of them are likely to just end up confined to their homes rather than go out in public without their religious attire.

I just don't see how telling women what they can't wear is so different from telling them what they have to wear. I don't think the solution is for different groups of men to be using women as pawns like that.

Quote:
Wait, what does that mean? Are you talking about internalized misogyny? Because yeah, that happens, and you can't legislate it away. But not everyone who has been a victim of misogyny lies to themselves. You didn't mean to say that, did you?
No. Not all women but we both know that Christianity is misogynous yet millions of Canadian women indirectly support their own oppression by putting cash in the collection basket on Sunday. And their misogynous husband let them.

Have a look at the look this woman gives her bishop on another Christian immoral tenet. She is still paying for her church to oppress her own daughter.

Catholics split over church's campaign against same-sex marriage - CNN.com

As to the law. We can see how others have written them up. There are a number of countries that have banned them. France is the most secular of these countries.

Regards
DL
Old 10-20-2015, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Maybe send a tweet about it. I wonder if it has ever been brought up on Facebook. reddit will have the answer.
Other than sites like this, I am computer illiterate.

Have at it. Plagiarize anything that I have put if you like.

Better for here if you send a link around though. I doubt if the mods will complain about extra traffic.

Regards
DL
Old 10-20-2015, 02:55 AM
the internet says I'm right

Quote:
they cannot refuse sex to their masters. Men.
Clearly nothing like this ever, ever happens in the good wholesome Christian US of A. Well, okay, it happens all the fucking time across dozens of denominations, but that's not important. Their horrible sexism is much worse, you can tell from the scary ethnic garb.
Thanks, from:
chunksmediocrites (10-21-2015), Pan Narrans (10-20-2015), Sock Puppet (10-20-2015), Stormlight (10-20-2015), The Man (10-20-2015), Watser? (10-20-2015)
Old 10-20-2015, 03:01 AM
liar in wolf's clothing

Quote:
Better for here if you send a link around though. I doubt if the mods will complain about extra traffic.
As a general rule :ff: is not linked to. Even the mods here spend most of their time in the private forums nowadays anyway. :hm:
Thanks, from:
chunksmediocrites (10-21-2015), Crumb (10-20-2015), Ensign Steve (10-20-2015), JoeP (10-20-2015), Pan Narrans (10-20-2015), Stormlight (10-20-2015), Watser? (10-20-2015)
Old 10-20-2015, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kael View Post
Quote:
they cannot refuse sex to their masters. Men.
Clearly nothing like this ever, ever happens in the good wholesome Christian US of A. Well, okay, it happens all the fucking time across dozens of denominations, but that's not important. Their horrible sexism is much worse, you can tell from the scary ethnic garb.
No argument. Christian misogyny is only marginally at a lower level than Islam. In fact, the Left wing of Islam is probably a better theology overall than Christianity.

I dislike all religions (since they are all based on lies and myths) that have misogyny and homophobia in them, but I have to give the devil his due.

Regards
DL
Old 10-20-2015, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Quote:
As a general rule :ff: is not linked to. Even the mods here spend most of their time in the private forums nowadays anyway. :hm:
That leaves it all to you my friend.

Regards
DL

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law