I said it, so I feel it, dick

Default Re: Animated series

We started watching Astro Boy last night (2003 remake). Not bad
Old 03-07-2011, 06:45 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

First look at the title character for Avatar: The Legend of Korra

Link

io9Set approximately 100 years after the events of Avatar: The Last Airbender, the new 12-part mini-series will follow Korra of the Southern Water Tribe as she attempts to master all of the elements as the nations' new Avatar. And a lot has changed since the days of Aang. The series will air on Nickelodeon in November 2011.
Thanks, from:
chunksmediocrites (03-07-2011), erimir (03-07-2011), Kashmir (03-11-2011), Kyuss Apollo (07-24-2011), LadyShea (03-07-2011), Qingdai (03-08-2011), wei yau (03-07-2011)
Old 03-09-2011, 04:03 PM
Servant of the Dark Lord

I am so looking forward to Legend of Korra. Next year can't come too soon. Hopefully this series will banish the stench that was the Last Airbender film. Hopefully next time they decide to move the franchise to the big screen they'll make the sensible decision and commit to a 2D animated film project helmed by the creators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
I am not sure whyTwo Face bothered him so much and other villains didn't. I think it's not because of the scary imagery, but because of his dual nature. Last night a similar discussion came up while watching something about the Boston Tea Party, he wanted to know who was good and who was evil...uh they were just people who disagreed. No mom, one side has to be evil. Maybe it's the age, or maybe it's just him, but he likes his good and evil clearly delineated.

Even in Avatar, Zuko is either still bad or is now good depending on the episode...never both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Me too Ymir's. I am unsure if it is common in this age group or not, but it seems like it might be.
My guess is that your kid will outgrow that view as he gets older.Very few people can be considered wholly good or wholly evil. There is also the issue that there are very few people who actually consider themselves evil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherMan View Post
Just starting on Cartoon Network: Young Justice. It's by the same studio that brought us Batman, Superman and the Justice League series. I'd caution that it might be a bit advanced for a young child. But it looks solid for him in a couple of years. (It's not quite as adult as the direct to DVD shows that Team Timm has been producing lately, but it's in that universe.)

I'm not sure what channel it's on, but a recent or on going series: Batman The Brave and the Bold seems to be geared for a younger crowd (and some older folks are enjoying it). Team Timm classists are prone to dismiss it, but the animation and stories are about right for a kid. In this version, Batman more resembles Adam West's though he's still portrayed as a tough crime fighter while others around him can be a bit foolish. (I personally hate their incarnation of Aquaman.)
I like Batman: The Brave and the Bold and think it would be a good series for LadyShea's kid to watch. The Batman of the series does strongly resemble the Adam West incarnation, now that I think on it.

I also like Young Justice quite a bit, but I think it might not be entirely appropriate for a five year old to watch. While there is no extreme violence or anything, it still is a bit intense for a child of such a young age. I do think the animation style and quality is fantastic, though. If a season collection comes out on Blu-Ray, I'll definitely consider snatching it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashmir View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
Cowboy Bebop you might like, but too slow paced for a child imo.
Or the graphic violence. :slice:

It's a seriously great show, but IMO not appropriate for anyone less than maybe 14.
There's also a bit of nudity with a gender bending character. Not that there is anything wrong with either the nudity or the gender bending.

Quote:
I just remembered: Sym-Bionic Titan, which is helmed by Genndy Tartakovsky (Powerpuff Girls, Samurai Jack, Clone Wars cartoons). Like those, it might be on the violent side, but good and evil are well delineated.
Sym-Bionic Titan is a pretty good series. Unfortunately, I've missed the last few episodes as I think they are now airing it early on Saturday mornings. I do think some of the violence is probably too intense for a five year old to be exposed to. There was an episode where Princess Ilana and Lance were captured by a shady organization and the latter was tortured. I was actually surprised the censors didn't insist that scene be left at the cutting room floor. It is a good series those and one I recommend showing to LadyShea's kid five or so years from now.

One show I would recommend when the kid is older is Generator Rex. The show has some good action and fairly well developed characters. I also happen to think the animation style is pretty good. I would offer two caveats. The show has a somewhat involved mythology so if you pick up the series now, you might be a little lost as there are several ongoing story threads in play. The other issue is the design of some of the monsters. Some children might find some of them frightening. On the plus side, one of my favorite things about the series are the monsters.

Allan Glenn. 1984-2005 RIP
:countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep:
Under no circumstances should Quentin Tarantino be allowed to befoul Star Trek.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:46 PM
Tellifying

Quote:
First look at the title character for Avatar: The Legend of Korra

Link

io9Set approximately 100 years after the events of Avatar: The Last Airbender, the new 12-part mini-series will follow Korra of the Southern Water Tribe as she attempts to master all of the elements as the nations' new Avatar. And a lot has changed since the days of Aang. The series will air on Nickelodeon in November 2011.
I just noticed that's she's dual wielding, fire and water at the same time. I'm trying to remember if Aang has ever done that...

I know that Aang and the other Avatars have been shown bending one element immediately after another, but I can't recall seeing it done simultaneously.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:44 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

It may have happened once or twice I don't recall. But it definitely happened when he was in the Avatar state. (Especially during the penultimate fight during Sozen's Comet when he bent all elements at once.)
Thanks, from:
wei yau (03-09-2011)
Old 03-10-2011, 09:02 AM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

Of course, she has a more relaxed time table for learning and is older than Aang was.

(Also, random question: why is it spelled Aang but pronounced [eing] "ayng" rather than [ang] "ong"?)
Old 03-10-2011, 03:53 PM
Tellifying

Quote:
Originally Posted by erimir View Post
(Also, random question: why is it spelled Aang but pronounced [eing] "ayng" rather than [ang] "ong"?)
Because FUCK M. NIGHT SHYAMALAN!
Old 03-10-2011, 09:23 PM
an angry unicorn or a non-murdering leprechaun

So excited for this but loled at this bit of fan artistry:

chunksmediocrites (07-25-2011), Qingdai (03-11-2011), wei yau (03-10-2011)
Old 03-12-2011, 02:07 AM
Servant of the Dark Lord

Quote:
It may have happened once or twice I don't recall. But it definitely happened when he was in the Avatar state. (Especially during the penultimate fight during Sozen's Comet when he bent all elements at once.)
That was a totally epic final battle. He definitely wielded multiple elements in that fight. I hope the new series will prove to be as enjoyable as its prequel.

Allan Glenn. 1984-2005 RIP
:countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep:
Under no circumstances should Quentin Tarantino be allowed to befoul Star Trek.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:02 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

After incidental cajoling, I'm convinced this is a great series. My Little Pony Friendship is Magic. (Two Youtube links thar to the pilot episode.) I decided to take a look when someone mentioned the pedigree (no pun).

Some Guy Somewhere ElseShow head is Lauren Faust, animator on Cats Don't Dance and Iron Giant, and storyboarder/writer/director of episodes of Powerpuff Girls and Foster's Home. Frankie Foster is based on her.

Story Editor is Rob Renzetti, creator of My Life As A Teenage Robot, also a storyboarder/writer/director on PPG and Foster's Home.

Lauren, Rob, Craig McCracken, and Genndy Tartakovsky are responsible for 90% of the best cartoons of the last decade. They all went to CalArts.

At the risk of obviously turning your son gay, it's worth taking a look.
Thanks, from:
Dragar (07-25-2011), Naru (07-24-2011)
Old 07-24-2011, 05:41 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Thanks, from:
chunksmediocrites (07-25-2011), curses (07-26-2011), Kael (07-25-2011), Kyuss Apollo (07-24-2011), wei yau (07-24-2011)
Old 07-24-2011, 05:51 PM
Banned for death threats

The Tick was good I never understood why it didn't run and run though as it was great.

The Mad Bomber What Bombs At Midnight episode was priceless, from the fight with The other Tick to the Sidekicks lounge, to Doorman the bouncer with gnarly psychic door man skills. Good super hero parody.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:42 PM
Tellifying

Bort, that trailer was so damn good. My daughter gasped when she saw the statue of Aang. I was surprised to see that the society had advanced, though I guess I shouldn't have been. I just wasn't thinking clearly. Thank goodness the writers were.

2012 can't come soon enough.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:24 AM
Now in six dimensions!

Quote:
After incidental cajoling, I'm convinced this is a great series. My Little Pony Friendship is Magic. (Two Youtube links thar to the pilot episode.) I decided to take a look when someone mentioned the pedigree (no pun).

Some Guy Somewhere ElseShow head is Lauren Faust, animator on Cats Don't Dance and Iron Giant, and storyboarder/writer/director of episodes of Powerpuff Girls and Foster's Home. Frankie Foster is based on her.

Story Editor is Rob Renzetti, creator of My Life As A Teenage Robot, also a storyboarder/writer/director on PPG and Foster's Home.

Lauren, Rob, Craig McCracken, and Genndy Tartakovsky are responsible for 90% of the best cartoons of the last decade. They all went to CalArts.

At the risk of obviously turning your son gay, it's worth taking a look.
This show is awesome, as are all the bronies who watch it. *cough*
chunksmediocrites (07-25-2011), Naru (07-25-2011)
Old 07-25-2011, 12:33 AM
Strabismic Ungulate

Yeah....my roommate and I have been watching MLP while we are waiting for classes to start. Along with someone else who I am not at liberty to name, but who maybe posts here occasionally.

It is p. awesome.
Dragar (07-25-2011)
Old 07-25-2011, 01:10 AM

I just finished the first season and am drooling for more. Great characters, great stories, great animation.

I was thinking about what lisa posted in the Web in your Pants thrad about how anonymous internet has allowed people to embrace squee that are outside the normal grandmas and kids, (ie Teh Kitteh Effect). I think that is at play with the Brony phenom. If a show has great writers and animators, does it matter if you are outside the traditional demographic? Can't anyone appreciate good art?

Also, I am frustrated that while any guy can have eighties toon fanboydom going on, for me to heart MLP is still somehow an aberration. Screw that. As a kid I had all the original Ponies. My dad even built "stables" around the baseboards in my room, so every night I could put my Ponies to bed. My mom even put their cutie marks over the doorways so they each had their own room. I need to dig out the pix of that.
BrotherMan (07-25-2011), Dragar (07-25-2011), Naru (07-25-2011)
Old 07-25-2011, 03:57 AM
ne plus ultraviolet

Not safe for work.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:23 AM
Now in six dimensions!

I'm torn between loving Fluttershy and Pinkie the most; both are hilarious and adorable in their own way.

&feature=related
I love her 'whoo-hoo' at 40 seconds.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:18 AM

Applejack holds a special place in my heart as she is the only carry over from the original. When I think of the original my mind goes straight to her and her girl Megan.

I identify the most with Twilight Sparkle. As a girl I know she would have been my fav for that reason. All the wikis say she was based off of Twilight, and in looks that is true. But her character is much more like Galaxy, who was my absolute favorite as a kid. Clever, brave, thoughtful and resourceful.

Rainbow Dash is very much like Firefly, but I love her redesign. Much better than the original. Pinkie Pie is awesome too,she cracks me up, but why is her pet Gummy?! (Crocodilians creep me out, and he is no exception). Rarity reminds me of Glory with an infusion of Elizabeth Taylor. Loved that Diamond dogs episode.

Flutter Shy is my favorite in the new series though. She reminds me of Baby Buttons, who was the shy unicorn that would always wink out when overwhelmed. Flutter has more depth in her character though.

My mane hope for season two? Two words: SEA PONIES!

Shoo-be-doo! Shoo-shoop-ee-doo!
Dragar (07-25-2011), Naru (07-25-2011)
Old 07-25-2011, 06:44 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

YOU CAN'T MAKE ME PICK A FAVORITE PONY I LOVE THEM ALL AT LEAST A LITTLE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demimonde View Post
My mane hope for season two?
:giggle:
Thanks, from:
curses (07-26-2011), Demimonde (07-25-2011), Dragar (07-25-2011)
Old 07-25-2011, 07:05 AM

DON'T EVEN BE FRONTING! EVERYPONY KNOWS PINKIE PIE IS YOUR FAVORITE!!!!1!!

Seriously though, :hug: thanks for introducing me to FiM. I hadn't even heard about it until you shared it with me! What a pale and lifeless existence without it.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:43 AM
ellipsis . . .

MAD.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:44 PM
Tellifying

So, like I think I should like Rainbow Dash because that's clearly the pony that Kassai would love. The thing is, my favorite pony is probably the pony that Kassai would hate most.

Nonetheless, I am proud to declare for TEAM RARITY.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:35 PM
Strabismic Ungulate

For all the bronies with Androids, there is an app to make them 20% cooler: FiM Soundboard - Android app on AppBrain
Dragar (07-25-2011)
Old 07-25-2011, 09:13 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

yay
Thanks, from:
curses (07-26-2011), Naru (07-25-2011)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature