Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature

Old 06-20-2011, 02:24 AM
California Sober

Television It's pretty obscure, you've probably never heard of it. Also it's on Netflix Instant.

This Official Thread has one Official Rule: Only post about stuff that is available to watch on Netflix Instant. Violators shall be subject to ridicule and pretend baninnation.

livius started us off with Dante's Inferno as imagined by Jim Henson or something like that.

Then pea talked about some Zombie thing with Guitar Wolf Moon that was probably good if you remembered to do more than :thanked: the post and move on.

Finally, my own contribution is The Whitest Kids U Know, who are the kind of funny that I thought they must be British, except no accent so maybe Canadian? But then all the jokes are about America, so I'm like, wow, funny Americans! My sixteen year old cousin posted about it on her facebook, so it's either totally cool or completely played out, I'm not sure which.
Crumb (06-20-2011), lisarea (06-20-2011), livius drusus (06-20-2011)
Old 06-20-2011, 02:39 AM
Not as smart as Adam

Default Re: It's pretty obscure, you've probably never heard of it. Also it's on Netflix Inst

I don't have Netflix but my video shop has Edward Scissorhands. You should all watch it.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:55 AM
Coffin Creep

Default Re: It's pretty obscure, you've probably never heard of it. Also it's on Netflix Inst

The cats in my backyard are so cute. :squee:
Old 06-20-2011, 02:59 AM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

I have watched a lot of Whitest Kids U Know sketches.

Slow jerk is a good one.

30 Rock, the Office (US or UK), Battlestar Galactica and Avatar: the Last Airbender are some shows that are available in their entireties (except the most recent season if it's not out on DVD yet for the first two). The first five seasons of Weeds are also available.
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (06-20-2011)
Old 06-20-2011, 03:02 AM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

You think people have probably never heard of 30 Rock, the Office, BSG, Avatar and Weeds?
Old 06-20-2011, 04:43 AM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Wild Zero isn't actually on instant. I have to order the DVD after I send back the one we've been sitting on. I am sorry.

Twin Peaks is, though, as of fairly recently, and I recommend that. Plus, all the cool kids liked Big Man Japan.

Almost every movie I watch lately is on instant. It's too much work to do it other ways and I don't like watching whole things on my computer, so I think this is a really good thrad.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livius drusus View Post
You think people have probably never heard of 30 Rock, the Office, BSG, Avatar and Weeds?
Well... You might not know that the entire series is available on instant play. Also, the One Official Rule did not specify that it had to be obscure.

Also, I saw The Devil's Backbone which is a Spanish film, which was pretty good.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:55 AM

I will now add previously-mentioned Netflix instant obscurities to this list. There's Le Chevaler d'Eon, my latest perplexing but awesome Franco-Japanese gender non-conformist find, and Girl 27, a documentary about a rape covered up by MGM in the 30s.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:17 AM

Oh yeah, and similar to Whitest Kids U Know, there's That Mitchell and Webb Look.

I think clips may have been posted on the forums before, but I don't think it's well-known in the US.

Also, all of Coupling is available.
Thanks, from:
Qingdai (06-21-2011)
Old 06-20-2011, 05:19 AM
Some days it's not worth chewing through the straps.

The Devil's Backbone was excellent. It was directed by Guillermo del Toro of Pan's Labyrinth, Mimic, and Hell Boy I & II fame.

I have no idea what netflix instant is, but I would suggest seeing I'm Not Scared, Time Crimes, and Touching the Void.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:28 AM

Subscribers to Netflix can watch some of their offerings immediately via an internet-connected device like a computer or gaming system. I use my wifi-enabled Blu-Ray player, for example. This thread will give people who can stream Netflix new things to watch with just a click of the mouse.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:14 AM
A fellow sophisticate

I spent about four months watching every episode of Have Gun Will Travel on Netflix, an old Western series that ran from 1956 to 1960, starring Richard Boone as Paladin, all 90 or so episodes.

The other night I watched Camille, starring James Franco and Sienna Miller. I don't believe this movie ever saw the inside of a movie theater. Sienna's character Camille died in a motorcycle wreck, but didn't die. Meh. It was stupid. I heard somewhere once that she sucked at acting, but she didn't do bad at all, even with a bad script, stupid plot, etc. James Franco was... well, James Franco.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:51 PM
California Sober

Quote:
Originally Posted by erimir View Post
Also, the One Official Rule did not specify that it had to be obscure.
Word. If it did, I'd be too timid to post anything.

:tweek:

Also, I love every one of you for your replies.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:28 PM
Some days it's not worth chewing through the straps.

By the way liv... I'm Not Scared (Io non ho paura) takes place in Italy.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:51 PM
Just keep m'nose clean, egg, chips & beans, I'm always full of steam

I just started watching Netflix streams heavily. As far as obscure, I agree with Mr. Pea that all the cool kids like Big Man Japan.

Also, maybe everybody else already knew this, but it was news to me that there was a live-action miniseries of the first Discworld books. I finished The Color of Magic and started the next episode, The Light Fantastic. They're not mega-budget productions, but they're fairly well done, I think. Jeremy Irons makes a good Patrician.

I've also slogged through the entire "Almost The Truth" 5- (or 6?) part Monty Python documentary. I never would have gotten around to that by DVR'ing it.

:sockpuppet:...........
Thanks, from:
curses (06-20-2011), Deadlokd (06-20-2011)
Old 06-20-2011, 01:59 PM
Admin

I watched the BBC series Survivors on Netflix and thought it was really good.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:50 PM

Also they have Let the Right One In (the Swedish version) on streaming, last I checked.

And hey, it was obscure-ish when I watched it!

It's better than the US version, which I don't think was really different enough to justify making it. I'd seen the Swedish version, and I felt like I was watching the same movie with a few details changed and regretted spending the money.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:37 AM

I offer the film version of Peter Barnes' great satire The Ruling Class.

Peter O'Toole stars as the son of an Earl who thinks he's Jesus, who comes into his inheritance when his father perishes in an autoerotic asphyxiation accident, with Coral Browne and William Mervyn as his scheming relatives, James Villiers as his dimwitted cousin, Alistair Sim as an Anglican bishop, Arthur Lowe as a card-carrying Communist butler, and Carolyn Seymour as "Marguerite Gautier, a.k.a. Grace Shelley because she doesn't speak any French".

Also featuring a bear in a top hat and morning coat, the High-Voltage Messiah, and several song-and-dance numbers.

I wish Alex Cox's Revengers Tragedy was on Netflix instant. He takes the Jacobean tragedy by Thomas Middleton and puts it in a post-apocalyptic Liverpool, starring Christopher Eccleston, Derek Jacobi, and Eddie Izzard. But it isn't, so I bought the DVD instead. :cheer:
Thanks, from:
Janet (06-22-2011)
Old 06-21-2011, 01:49 AM
One sexy hermaphrodite

I wanted to watch The Petrified Forest but settled for Of Human Bondage per Netflix's suggestion. Just what I wanted.

Though, Netflix listed it as Leslie Nelson's great performance. :lol:

-Demi

Your effort to remain what you are is what limits you.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:56 AM

Ken Burns movie about the boxer Jack Johnson is on Netflix Instant--Unforgivable Blackness.

Definitely worth watching!
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (06-21-2011), Doctor X (06-21-2011)
Old 06-21-2011, 02:47 AM
Coffin Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Steve View Post
This Official Thread has one Official Rule: Only post about stuff that is available to watch on Netflix Instant. Violators shall be subject to ridicule and pretend baninnation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ymir's blood View Post
The cats in my backyard are so cute. :squee:
I am calling shenanigans! Where are the ridicule and pretend baninnation I was promised?!

I demand answers!
Stormlight (08-31-2011)
Old 06-21-2011, 03:50 AM
California Sober

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ymir's blood View Post
I am calling shenanigans! Where are the ridicule and pretend baninnation I was promised?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Steve View Post
Also, I love every one of you for your replies.
:muahaha: Sucker.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:11 AM
Coffin Creep

:brooding:
Old 06-21-2011, 04:44 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Oh hey, look:

http://instantwatcher.com

I really like that you can see what's expiring soon, so you can prioritize them before they go away. I totally missed Inland Empire and am kind of mad about it.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (06-21-2011), Ensign Steve (06-21-2011), Fencesitter (09-03-2011), SharonDee (06-21-2011), specious_reasons (07-11-2011), viscousmemories (06-27-2011)
Old 06-22-2011, 04:35 PM
One sexy hermaphrodite

Don't be. I love me some David Lynch but that is four hours of my life I will never get back.

Your effort to remain what you are is what limits you.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature