Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law

Old 05-19-2015, 05:52 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

Default Re: Hooray. We're In ... Delaware?

And here's the video to Dela-Where? It's not so much an any depth history of Delaware as it is a random bits of trivia of Delaware.

Concerning DuPont Highway: I've driven almost every mile of it - never all at once. An old job had me driving up and down and all around the state doing stuff. This was even before Route 1 was a thing. It is kind of sad to see old pieces of Rt 13 abandoned, and not just the parts that are still active road. The only part I didn't even know about was the bit of the road that's in St. Georges. That was all brand new to me. I've only been to Helen's Sausage House once and it was really good.

And concerning Dela-Where? I can confirm that theaters did react wildly when we showed up in Wayne's World. Even us transplanted Air Force pukes got a little giddy about it. Trivia: The picture they used for that bit? That's the now old Indian River Inlet bridge. A few years ago that was obsoleted and there's a new bridge there that I haven't even seen yet. I don't get down state that much, definitely not that far.
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (05-19-2015), Janet (05-19-2015), lisarea (05-19-2015), SR71 (05-19-2015), Watser? (05-20-2015)
Old 05-19-2015, 03:04 PM
Just keep m'nose clean, egg, chips & beans, I'm always full of steam

Damn, Delaware is like, what, about 12 feet wide by 24 feet long? "I don't get down state much, that sounds like a whole lot of gettin' up."

:sockpuppet:...........
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (05-19-2015), Janet (05-19-2015), S.Vashti (05-19-2015), SR71 (05-19-2015), Watser? (05-20-2015)
Old 05-19-2015, 05:35 PM
Stoic Derelict... The cup is empty

:loud:
BrotherMan (05-19-2015), Dingfod (05-20-2015), Ensign Steve (05-19-2015), Janet (05-19-2015), JoeP (05-19-2015), livius drusus (05-19-2015), Pan Narrans (05-19-2015), Sock Puppet (05-19-2015), Stephen Maturin (06-04-2015), Watser? (05-20-2015)
Old 05-19-2015, 06:20 PM
Just keep m'nose clean, egg, chips & beans, I'm always full of steam

Ahhh, I stand corrected. 24x48 then.

:sockpuppet:...........
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (05-19-2015), Clutch Munny (05-24-2015), Dingfod (05-20-2015), Janet (05-20-2015), SR71 (05-19-2015), Stephen Maturin (06-04-2015), Zehava (05-19-2015)
Old 05-20-2015, 04:00 AM
A fellow sophisticate

Nothing much ever happens in Delaware, that's why all the corporations incorporate there.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:52 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

ANTHRAX! GET YOUR RED HOT ANTHRAX HERE!

Quote:
The sample of anthrax that the U.S. Department of Defense shipped to a commercial laboratory in Delaware has been confirmed as live, according to state health officials.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reportedly informed the Delaware Division of Public Health (DPH) on Friday that the shipment sent to the Delaware lab contained a "low concentration" of live anthrax.

The division did not announce that finding until Monday evening.

"There remains no danger to the public," division spokeswoman Emily Knearl said in an email. "DPH is working closely with the CDC on a decontamination strategy that specifically addresses the low level of live bacteria and expects the lab to be decontaminated this week."

The error came to light after a lab in Maryland notified the Pentagon that the specimen it received was able to grow, raising concerns that others were also not thoroughly killed.

The Delaware lab that received an anthrax sample from Dugway was shut down after state officials learned of the shipment on May 23. The facility and will remained closed until decontamination is completed, state health officials said last week.

That decontamination was reportedly supposed to begin over the weekend, but appears to have been postponed once state officials learned the lab received a live sample of the potentially deadly bacteria.
Thanks, from:
Dingfod (06-03-2015), Ensign Steve (06-03-2015), Janet (06-03-2015), lisarea (06-03-2015), Nullifidian (06-03-2015), Sock Puppet (06-03-2015), SR71 (06-03-2015), Stephen Maturin (06-04-2015), Ymir's blood (06-05-2015)
Old 06-19-2015, 03:09 AM
California Sober

:derp:
Old 06-19-2015, 03:09 AM
California Sober

Markell signs Delaware marijuana decriminalization bill

Hey, Bort. How ya feelin?
BrotherMan (06-19-2015), Janet (06-19-2015), Nullifidian (06-22-2015), Stephen Maturin (06-19-2015), Watser? (06-19-2015)
Old 06-19-2015, 03:17 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

They're just clearing the way for the medical dispensary that will some day maybe probably open somewhere up north. For I don't know how long it will be the only place to fill a prescription. Oh, and good luck getting a prescription because even that will be limited. For the foreseeable future purchasing or possibly growing for yourself will be illegal and likely still a criminal offense.
Thanks, from:
Nullifidian (06-22-2015), Stephen Maturin (06-19-2015)
Old 06-19-2015, 03:33 AM
California Sober

:sadcheer:
Old 06-19-2015, 03:52 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

I mean, it's a step in the right direction. But it's just one step and it's a small one.'

:pancakeglomp:
Old 06-19-2015, 04:57 PM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

Meanwhile you can drive over here to DC so easy...
Old 06-22-2015, 01:55 PM
A fellow sophisticate

Leading the way, Delaware becomes the 18th state to decriminalize recreational marijuana use.
Ensign Steve (06-23-2015), Janet (06-23-2015), SR71 (07-31-2015), The Man (11-11-2015), Watser? (06-22-2015)
Old 07-30-2015, 04:35 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

DE Prosecutor Suspended for Being an Asshat

Quote:
Former Deputy Attorney General R. David Favata has been suspended from practicing law in Delaware after he repeatedly belittled a defendant and lied to the judge during a Kent County death penalty trial.

Favata’s conduct at the trial led the state Supreme Court to overturn the conviction and death sentence for the 28-year-old defendant, Isaiah McCoy, earlier this year.

McCoy is now awaiting a new trial for the charges stemming from the 2010 murder of 30-year-old James Munford.
My experience with the Delaware judicial system is a fairly positive one. There are definitely assholes in every walk of life but I've been blessed to not have run into them there. The cops I've interacted with have all been p professional - though I am a white dude. The judges I've stood before were all very nice - though my crimes were small. (Once for no proof of insurance, I appeared to show proof and the other was for a suspended license.) And that time I was a juror. The prosecutor lady made only one really big goof up but I don't think it was as intentional as this doofus.

Reading the article it seems like this guy was pretending he was on Law squiggle Order or something. That's the kind of stuff I see those guys do all the time.

Quote:
  • The Supreme Court’s 21-page decision Monday said Favata committed several ethical violations during the case, including:
  • As McCoy cross-examined a key witness, the girlfriend of the victim, Favata objected and expressed his own opinion that McCoy was guilty. Favata said: “She obviously hasn’t spoken to the defendant since he shot her boyfriend.”
  • Favata told McCoy in one conversation to “start acting like a man.” In another conversation about McCoy’s attire, Favata said: “I don’t care. You can dress him up. He’s still a murderer.”
  • Favata made demeaning comments about McCoy’s choice to represent himself. He said, for example: “Quite frankly, the defendant might not be aware because he lacks legal training.” “I have been to law school, your honor. I understand the rules.” “The trouble with dealing with somebody with a limited education and no legal education is he doesn’t clearly understand what he’s reading.”
  • Finally, Favata, while in the presence of McCoy during a court recess, spoke about “Omerta,” an Italian mafia code of silence. Favata said he would put a detective back on the stand to tell everyone that McCoy was a snitch. He added that McCoy could have trouble back in prison after the other inmates learn he is a snitch.
:nut: :mustpee:
Thanks, from:
Dingfod (07-30-2015), Janet (07-30-2015), lisarea (07-30-2015), Nullifidian (07-31-2015), Sock Puppet (07-30-2015), SR71 (07-31-2015), Stephen Maturin (07-30-2015), The Man (11-11-2015), Watser? (07-30-2015)
Old 08-12-2015, 12:44 AM
California Sober

:news: scooped!

This Delaware law is behind Google's recent restructuring - Technical.ly Delaware
BrotherMan (08-12-2015), Janet (08-12-2015), The Man (11-11-2015)
Old 08-12-2015, 12:54 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

:smugnod:
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (08-12-2015)
Old 08-28-2015, 03:17 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

If you've ever lived in (northern) Delaware for any length of time there's no way you didn't learn about this company. Not because of how great or awesome they are or every used any of their products. It's, well, it's because you have an immature and juvenile mind and say the name wrong.

Once upon a time I worked right around the corner from this place. I always wanted to pop in and visit and see what they do. NO YOU PREVERTS. NOT THAT. I mean what they manufactured.
Thanks, from:
Janet (08-29-2015), Nullifidian (08-28-2015), S.Vashti (08-28-2015), SR71 (08-29-2015), The Man (11-11-2015), Watser? (08-29-2015)
Old 08-28-2015, 05:19 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherMan View Post
Here's our :ff: thrad for the Luxembourg of the USA. I'll do my best to make you proud.
But do you have a wild boar?

I don't believe Stormlight wants to move to Delaware.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:15 PM
nominalistic existential pragmaticist

Yes, that was good PR. Very good.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (08-28-2015), Janet (08-29-2015)
Old 09-03-2015, 05:01 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Thanks, from:
JoeP (09-03-2015), SR71 (11-11-2015), Stephen Maturin (09-04-2015)
Old 11-11-2015, 05:22 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

ABC has ordered a pilot show named Murder Town. It's got a lot of people unhappy.

This excerpt from here.
Quote:
ABC TV has ordered a TV pilot for a drama apparently inspired by a controversial story in Neweek last year that touched on Wilmington’s high homicide rate.

The drama, according to Monday entries in The Wrap, Variety and other entertainment sites would star Jada Pinkett Smith, as a district attorney in Wilmington facing the challenges of a high murder rate along with numerous other complications in the city and in her life.

Smith is a well-known actress and the wife of Philadelphia native and film star Will Smith. She would also serve as executive producer, Variety reported.

News of the pilot comes nearly a year after the publication of a Newsweek article entitled Murder Town USA that painted a portrait of a city struggling with a high homicide rate at a time when its neighbors, such as Philadelphia, have seen a decline in the crime categoryThe well- crafted article, which created a local and even national stir, helped lead to Gov. Jack Markell and the General Assembly to appoint a blue-ribbon panel to study the issue and make recommendations that did not always sit well with current Mayor Dennis Williams, a former Police officer.

About a year ago Newsweek published an article about Wilmington, Delaware. That's Delaware's largest city. According to FBI statistics:

Quote:
This year, there have been 27 homicides in Wilmington, tying its record 27 murders in 2010, and 135 people have been shot. Twenty-two of them died. With a population of just over 71,000, Wilmington had a violent-crime rate of 1,625 per 100,000 people last year, according to the FBI’s 2013 Uniform Crime Report (that crime rate measures murder and nonnegligent manslaughter, rape, robbery and aggravated assault). The national average was 368 per 100,000 people. Wilmington ranks third for violence among 450 cities of comparable size, behind the Michigan towns of Saginaw and Flint, according to a Wilmington News Journal report. For a city mired in violence, the most stunning fact of all may be that Wilmington just got its first homicide unit.
(Matlock might be bemused to hear that Delaware doesn't have district attorneys. Prosecutions are performed at the state level. So already HOLLYWOOD GETS IT WRONG.)

Anyhoo, let's get with the local reactions:

Quote:
“Oh my God. Just what we need,” said Will Minster, director of business development for the nonprofit Downtown Visions, upon hearing the show‘s title and description.

“I guess they heard enough about Wilmington that they thought, ‘Why not go ahead and stab at them,’” he said. “I don’t like it by any means.”

Wilmington Mayor Dennis Williams, who was at Sherry Dorsey Walker's announcement of her run for Delaware lieutenant governor Tuesday night, did not think much of the idea.

"That's unfortunate," he said. "A bunch of has-beens playing in different roles to try to rebuild their acting careers. That's OK. If they want to come into Wilmington and spend some of that money, go to the west end, the Hotel du Pont, bring in 500 people to spend at our restaurants. I'll take their money. I just hope they get somebody good looking to play me."
(Emphasis mine.)

Mee-yow! I mean, I know Jada hasn't done much big screen acting that I'm aware of, but she was on a relatively popular broadcast network just last year. She's been working in at least one project a year for this whole century. I bet she was busy, you know, raising kids and being a responsible adult and so forth.

Quote:
Joe Mauro of Wilmington-based Miller Mauro Group marketing firm agreed, although he thinks a national public shaming, thanks to the program's title could spur change in Wilmington.

"We've gone from the Chemical Capital of the World to Murder Town. Oh my gosh, what a challenge for anybody in branding," said Mauro, a Wilmington native whose agency builds branding campaigns for corporations, small businesses and nonprofits.

"But it could go either way," he added. "It could turn out to be a really bad thing publicity-wise or it might super-charge the community to say, 'We need to do something here,' because we really do."
Typical marketing dork, trying to have a cake and bake it too, amirite. I know people are murdered and lives are changed irrevocably, but what about meeeeeee.

Quote:
Wilmington City Councilwoman Maria Cabrera said seeing the name “Murder Town” for the first time was like "a punch to the gut." She thinks the city should urge the producers to change the setting from Wilmington to a fictional city.

"As we battle with the negative perception that Newsweek created, the last thing we need is the magnitude and reach that such a television series would create in turning that perception into reality," said Cabrera, who is contemplating a run for mayor next year. "People have a hard time distinguishing fact from fiction and the negative impact this would have on Wilmington will create a ripple reaction for years to come."

It's unclear if "Murder Town" producers will request to film parts of the show in the city.
Wilmington, down close, isn't a terribly photogenic city. And the places where these crimes take place look just like any other city where these kinds of crimes take place. It's a bunch of narrow one way streets with row homes pressed in too close together. Add in America's usual cultural baggage and a dash of "well what do you want us to do about it" political shoulder shrugging and of course you get Murder Town. Or at least a Delaware scale model of it.
Thanks, from:
Janet (11-11-2015), lisarea (11-11-2015), livius drusus (11-11-2015), Pan Narrans (11-12-2015), SR71 (11-11-2015), The Man (11-11-2015), Watser? (11-12-2015)
Old 11-11-2015, 05:33 PM
A fellow sophisticate

That and lax incorporation laws is about all Delaware are known for.
BrotherMan (11-11-2015), Janet (11-11-2015), lisarea (11-11-2015), The Man (11-11-2015), Watser? (11-12-2015)
Old 11-11-2015, 06:07 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

:ilovelux:
Thanks, from:
lisarea (11-11-2015), The Man (11-11-2015)
Old 11-11-2015, 06:35 PM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

And Joe Biden.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (11-11-2015), Dingfod (11-12-2015), Janet (11-11-2015), SR71 (11-11-2015), The Man (11-11-2015)
Old 11-11-2015, 08:00 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Also in Duplex Planet, this guy said that he once had a salad that was worse than Delaware.

So that's the main thing I know about Delaware.

Ha ha found it. It's the very last one.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (11-11-2015), Dingfod (11-12-2015), Janet (11-11-2015), livius drusus (11-11-2015), SR71 (11-11-2015), The Man (11-11-2015)

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law