Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > The Sciences

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #951  
Old 05-23-2017, 09:16 AM
Kamilah Hauptmann's Avatar
Kamilah Hauptmann Kamilah Hauptmann is offline
I'm a regular Victor Victoria
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: VDXCVIII
Default Re: Drive by science


__________________
Sometimes you herp a derp, sometimes the derp herps you.

:BC: :canada:
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (05-30-2017), Crumb (05-23-2017), Dragar (05-23-2017), Kyuss Apollo (05-24-2017), The Man (06-01-2017), Zehava (05-31-2017)
  #952  
Old 05-23-2017, 05:34 PM
Jerome's Avatar
Jerome Jerome is offline
Dr. Jerome Corsi-Soetoro, Ph.D., Esq.
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: XCCI
Default Re: Drive by science

__________________
What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. ... The origin of myths is explained in this way.
Reply With Quote
  #953  
Old 05-24-2017, 08:21 AM
Vivisectus's Avatar
Vivisectus Vivisectus is offline
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: VMMCCCLII
Blog Entries: 1
Default Re: Drive by science

Jerome, any updates? I am keen to flesh out your model a bit. Phases of the moon, and what causes them? Are the sun and moon discs also, or globes?

Also, can you elaborate on how buoyancy works, and what is making the sun and moon move about?
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (05-26-2017), beyelzu (05-30-2017), The Man (06-01-2017)
  #954  
Old 05-24-2017, 08:25 AM
Kamilah Hauptmann's Avatar
Kamilah Hauptmann Kamilah Hauptmann is offline
I'm a regular Victor Victoria
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: VDXCVIII
Default Re: Drive by science


__________________
Sometimes you herp a derp, sometimes the derp herps you.

:BC: :canada:
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (05-26-2017), BrotherMan (05-24-2017), JoeP (05-24-2017), Kyuss Apollo (05-24-2017), Pan Narrans (05-24-2017), The Man (06-01-2017)
  #955  
Old 05-25-2017, 01:04 AM
thedoc's Avatar
thedoc thedoc is offline
I'm Deplorable.
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: XMMCCCXCIII
Default Re: Drive by science

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus View Post
Jerome, any updates? I am keen to flesh out your model a bit. Phases of the moon, and what causes them? Are the sun and moon discs also, or globes?

Also, can you elaborate on how buoyancy works, and what is making the sun and moon move about?
PFM, compliments of the flat Earther's.
__________________
The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you donít know anything about. Wayne Dyer
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (05-26-2017)
  #956  
Old 05-27-2017, 01:17 PM
Jerome's Avatar
Jerome Jerome is offline
Dr. Jerome Corsi-Soetoro, Ph.D., Esq.
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: XCCI
Default Re: Drive by science

Hey guys, you can make an easy $25,000, all you have to do is provide proof of the globe!

:wave:
__________________
What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. ... The origin of myths is explained in this way.
Reply With Quote
  #957  
Old 05-29-2017, 06:32 PM
Jerome's Avatar
Jerome Jerome is offline
Dr. Jerome Corsi-Soetoro, Ph.D., Esq.
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: XCCI
Default Re: Drive by science

$25,000 payment for proof the world is a globe

msargent23@comcat.net

720-897-6111

Kathy Dunson

perelandra77@gmail.com

collect your cash
__________________
What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. ... The origin of myths is explained in this way.
Reply With Quote
  #958  
Old 05-30-2017, 05:38 AM
lpetrich's Avatar
lpetrich lpetrich is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Lebanon, OR, USA
Gender: Male
Posts: DXVIII
Default Re: Drive by science

Jerome, there's a reason that you've been banned from some forums. It's your incessant trolling. Your low standards for your arguments and impossibly high standards for counterarguments.

For my part, I wish to note that there is a simple low-tech way of finding the shape of the Earth. Look at eclipses of the Moon. No matter where the Moon is in the sky, the Earth's shadow on it is approximately circular. This means that the Earth is approximately spherical.
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (05-30-2017), But (05-30-2017), Crumb (05-30-2017), Dragar (05-30-2017), Stormlight (05-30-2017), The Man (06-01-2017)
  #959  
Old 05-30-2017, 02:57 PM
Jerome's Avatar
Jerome Jerome is offline
Dr. Jerome Corsi-Soetoro, Ph.D., Esq.
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: XCCI
Default Re: Drive by science

Claiming 'trolling' is just the excuse given to not have to deal with facts which upset your world view.

Have you collected the $25,000?
__________________
What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. ... The origin of myths is explained in this way.
Reply With Quote
  #960  
Old 05-30-2017, 03:03 PM
Jerome's Avatar
Jerome Jerome is offline
Dr. Jerome Corsi-Soetoro, Ph.D., Esq.
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: XCCI
Default Re: Drive by science

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpetrich View Post
For my part, I wish to note that there is a simple low-tech way of finding the shape of the Earth. Look at eclipses of the Moon. No matter where the Moon is in the sky, the Earth's shadow on it is approximately circular. This means that the Earth is approximately spherical.
Please attempt to explain the observational evidence I provided with the sun and moon in the sky during an eclipse, with the shadow on the moon being on the wrong side to be from the earth.
__________________
What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. ... The origin of myths is explained in this way.
Reply With Quote
  #961  
Old 05-30-2017, 03:43 PM
beyelzu's Avatar
beyelzu beyelzu is offline
simple country microbiologist hyperchicken
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: georgia
Posts: XMMMXCVII
Blog Entries: 1
Images: 8
Default Re: Drive by science

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpetrich View Post
For my part, I wish to note that there is a simple low-tech way of finding the shape of the Earth. Look at eclipses of the Moon. No matter where the Moon is in the sky, the Earth's shadow on it is approximately circular. This means that the Earth is approximately spherical.
Please attempt to explain the observational evidence I provided with the sun and moon in the sky during an eclipse, with the shadow on the moon being on the wrong side to be from the earth.
Like probably every creationist dipshit that I have ever argued with, you seem to think that a single spurious example invalidates the accepted position. We have lots of proof for a spherical earth, I don't need to answer your particular stupid shit to have a sound understanding of science.

The simplest thing for you to do would be to post a picture of the edge of the earth. See that is how science works, you have a framework of understanding that makes some prediction(in this case, if the earth is flat, it will have an edge) then you conduct an experiment and show if the data supports the theory). For this sort of conversation we are having, you would just produce evidence that supported your theory and explain why.

If you don't do this, you can't possibly prove to anyone that you are correct. Random ass examples of unexplained or odd phenomena don't make you right. My hypothetical inability to answer some bullshit example that you haven't even explained how it supports your theory doesn't prove you right.

When your idea of the universe contradicts 99.99999999999etc percent of observed phenomena, you cant point to one or two examples of error or unexplained phenomena, scream "checkmate, scientism!" and prove your point.


Well, you can do a couple of those things,but you just won't prove your point.
__________________
:blowkiss: :beloved: :blowkiss: :beloved: :blowkiss: :steve: :blowkiss: :beloved: :blowkiss: :beloved: :blowkiss:
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (05-31-2017), Crumb (05-30-2017), Ensign Steve (06-01-2017), The Man (06-01-2017)
  #962  
Old 05-30-2017, 04:04 PM
Jerome's Avatar
Jerome Jerome is offline
Dr. Jerome Corsi-Soetoro, Ph.D., Esq.
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: XCCI
Default Re: Drive by science

The observation invalidates your model. Throwing your hands up, calling names, using logical fallacies and strawmen does not change this.

You are obviously ignorant how science works.

If 99% of observations can be explained by a model, but one single observation invalidates said model, said model is discarded by science.

Science is a method, you have accepted scientism, which is a religion, in place of science.
__________________
What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. ... The origin of myths is explained in this way.
Reply With Quote
  #963  
Old 05-30-2017, 04:06 PM
Jerome's Avatar
Jerome Jerome is offline
Dr. Jerome Corsi-Soetoro, Ph.D., Esq.
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: XCCI
Default Re: Drive by science

Bey, did you make contact and collect your $25,000?
__________________
What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. ... The origin of myths is explained in this way.
Reply With Quote
  #964  
Old 05-30-2017, 04:28 PM
Vivisectus's Avatar
Vivisectus Vivisectus is offline
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: VMMCCCLII
Blog Entries: 1
Default Re: Drive by science

Well, I certainly don't want anything to do with scientism!

So in stead, why don't we look at buoyancy without gravity so we are doing proper science? How does it work? And do we have an update on what causes the phases of the moon? Or what makes the sun and moon move around?

Anyway - that image of the moon and the sun is easily explained: special effects.
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (05-31-2017), beyelzu (05-30-2017), Crumb (05-30-2017), The Man (06-01-2017)
  #965  
Old 05-30-2017, 05:11 PM
beyelzu's Avatar
beyelzu beyelzu is offline
simple country microbiologist hyperchicken
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: georgia
Posts: XMMMXCVII
Blog Entries: 1
Images: 8
Default Re: Drive by science

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
The observation invalidates your model. Throwing your hands up, calling names, using logical fallacies and strawmen does not change this.

You are obviously ignorant how science works.

If 99% of observations can be explained by a model, but one single observation invalidates said model, said model is discarded by science.

Science is a method, you have accepted scientism, which is a religion, in place of science.
I'm literally a published microbiologist, a claim that I can prove unlike your medium sized corporations. I do understand science.

Newtonian physics isn't completely invalidated because it doesn't accurately describe Mercury's orbit, it was just incomplete as it didn't account for relativistic effects. It still holds and accurately describes lots of phenomena.

So yeah, observations matter, but, no a single observation can't simply invalidate a bunch of science. Instead what actually occurs is more subtle.

You have a shitty understanding of the principle that science must be falsifiable. A single unexplained phenomenon doesn't result in throwing out a theory.


Also with flat earth specifically, you are talking about a massive, massive conspiracy so you have multiple, extraordinarily high burdens of proof for your fantastic claim that the earth is not a sphere.
__________________
:blowkiss: :beloved: :blowkiss: :beloved: :blowkiss: :steve: :blowkiss: :beloved: :blowkiss: :beloved: :blowkiss:
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (05-31-2017), Ari (05-30-2017), Crumb (05-30-2017), The Man (06-01-2017)
  #966  
Old 05-30-2017, 07:08 PM
Jerome's Avatar
Jerome Jerome is offline
Dr. Jerome Corsi-Soetoro, Ph.D., Esq.
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: XCCI
Default Re: Drive by science

Interesting how you avoid the problem which debunks your model and then attempt to shift the burden.

Not clear why you have not yet collected your $25,000 for proof the world is a sphere, unless of course you can't..
__________________
What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. ... The origin of myths is explained in this way.
Reply With Quote
  #967  
Old 05-30-2017, 09:01 PM
But's Avatar
But But is offline
This is the title that appears beneath your name on your posts.
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Gender: Male
Posts: MVDXCIII
Default Re: Drive by science


:yawn:
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (05-30-2017), JoeP (05-30-2017), Kyuss Apollo (05-31-2017), The Man (06-01-2017)
  #968  
Old 05-30-2017, 11:45 PM
Jerome's Avatar
Jerome Jerome is offline
Dr. Jerome Corsi-Soetoro, Ph.D., Esq.
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: XCCI
Default Re: Drive by science

So no one will step up and collect the $25,000? Guess your model is not what you think it is, is it.
__________________
What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. ... The origin of myths is explained in this way.
Reply With Quote
  #969  
Old 05-31-2017, 04:41 AM
Kyuss Apollo's Avatar
Kyuss Apollo Kyuss Apollo is offline
happy now, Mussolini?
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: location, location
Posts: VCDLXXXIII
Blog Entries: 7
Images: 17
Default Re: Drive by science

Mars had water for longer than previously thought

Quote:
High concentrations of silica point to the existence of groundwater long after lakes evaporated. This finding extends the potential window for life on the planet

:kang:

:kodos:
__________________
This week's track: Ween - Ocean Man





Last edited by Kyuss Apollo; 05-31-2017 at 04:51 AM.
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (06-04-2017), ceptimus (05-31-2017), JoeP (05-31-2017), The Man (06-01-2017)
  #970  
Old 05-31-2017, 06:54 AM
Vivisectus's Avatar
Vivisectus Vivisectus is offline
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: VMMCCCLII
Blog Entries: 1
Default Re: Drive by science

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
Interesting how you avoid the problem which debunks your model and then attempt to shift the burden.

Not clear why you have not yet collected your $25,000 for proof the world is a sphere, unless of course you can't..
Hey? Are you telling me that just saying "special effects" is not a satisfactory answer or something?
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (05-31-2017), The Man (06-01-2017)
  #971  
Old 05-31-2017, 06:58 AM
Ari's Avatar
Ari Ari is offline
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bay Area
Gender: Male
Posts: MXDCIV
Blog Entries: 8
Default Re: Drive by science

It's not quite 'liberals did it.'
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (05-31-2017), The Man (06-01-2017)
  #972  
Old 05-31-2017, 10:44 PM
But's Avatar
But But is offline
This is the title that appears beneath your name on your posts.
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Gender: Male
Posts: MVDXCIII
Default Re: Drive by science

Prove that the Earth is flat and I will give you 1000 dollars. I promise.
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (06-01-2017), Dragar (06-01-2017), The Man (06-01-2017)
  #973  
Old 06-01-2017, 02:41 PM
thedoc's Avatar
thedoc thedoc is offline
I'm Deplorable.
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: XMMCCCXCIII
Default Re: Drive by science

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
$25,000 payment for proof the world is a globe

msargent23@comcat.net

720-897-6111

Kathy Dunson

perelandra77@gmail.com

collect your cash
Could you provide a link to a site rather than E-Mail addresses? I'm not ready to give my E-Mail address to some crackpot so that they can flood my mailbox with junk mail.
__________________
The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you donít know anything about. Wayne Dyer
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
The Man (06-01-2017)
  #974  
Old 06-01-2017, 06:20 PM
erimir's Avatar
erimir erimir is offline
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Dee Cee
Gender: Male
Posts: XMMDCCCXLVII
Images: 11
Default Re: Drive by science

Here's your proof!

Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (06-02-2017), Ari (06-02-2017), beyelzu (06-04-2017), Dragar (06-02-2017), Stephen Maturin (06-09-2017), The Man (06-01-2017)
  #975  
Old 06-01-2017, 10:30 PM
thedoc's Avatar
thedoc thedoc is offline
I'm Deplorable.
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: XMMCCCXCIII
Default Re: Drive by science

Flat Earth, explain Volcano's and Earth Quakes.
__________________
The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you donít know anything about. Wayne Dyer
Reply With Quote
Reply

  Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > The Sciences


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

 

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Page generated in 0.64356 seconds with 15 queries