Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature

Old 06-22-2011, 05:40 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Default Re: It's pretty obscure, you've probably never heard of it. Also it's on Netflix Inst

Uh oh. Cuz I still have it on my DVD queue and was planning to get it p. soon.

What did you hate about it? Some of my favorite Lynch movies are the ones that people hate the most, so sometimes when some robohermaphrodite tells me I won't like something, it means I actually will. Like I fucking LOVE Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive.

Which are not available streaming, so I am totally breaking ALL THE RULES! :git:
Old 06-22-2011, 06:09 PM
Just keep m'nose clean, egg, chips & beans, I'm always full of steam

Default Re: It's pretty obscure, you've probably never heard of it. Also it's on Netflix Inst

Quote:
Originally Posted by erimir View Post
Also they have Let the Right One In (the Swedish version) on streaming, last I checked.
Yep, saw that one a month or so back. No particular urge to see the American version; I don't see the point. I think it was available on streaming, but I got it on DVD so I could watch it in the van on the way to/from work.

:sockpuppet:...........
Old 06-22-2011, 06:11 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

From my understanding they're pretty close, but the Swiss version had some (what I might consider 'better') stylistic choices with respect to the attacks. So, probably a smart move not sullying your memory of the original.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:53 PM
One sexy hermaphrodite

Thematically, it deals with the same concepts that Mullholland Drive tackled, which is BTW a great film that I loved. But IE is a bloated, overstuffed, retreading that really doesn't add much to the work Lynch already did. It is like the turducken of his films. Stuff he has done before but MORE. He has a free hand stretching the film to three hours, and while I root for unfettered artistic freedom, he really really really needed a good editor.

The hardest part is that the film is ugly. Lynch tried to go digital and it just doesn't measure up to the beautiful work he has done before. Some of the still shots are awesome, but when it goes into handheld it is kinda gross. But then there are filmed scenes that he throws into the stew as well, some that were shot during the filming of MD that he had to toss into the mix. The effect is that it just makes the rest of the film look worse.

Love his body of work, but this just isn't his best work or even his meh work. It is really bad. I finished it, but it was a marathon to do so. I will definitely never sit through it again.

Your effort to remain what you are is what limits you.
Thanks, from:
lisarea (06-22-2011)
Old 06-22-2011, 08:35 PM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

lol turducken
Thanks, from:
Demicon (06-23-2011), Stormlight (08-31-2011)
Old 06-22-2011, 09:01 PM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherMan View Post
From my understanding they're pretty close, but the Swiss version had some (what I might consider 'better') stylistic choices with respect to the attacks. So, probably a smart move not sullying your memory of the original.
:brooding:
Thanks, from:
Stormlight (08-31-2011)
Old 06-23-2011, 01:19 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

:cheeseprison:
Thanks, from:
Crumb (06-23-2011), Nullifidian (06-23-2011), Stormlight (08-31-2011)
Old 06-27-2011, 06:57 PM

I watched the The Secret of Kells recently and thought it was great. The animation style is entirely unique, inspired by medieval Irish illuminated manuscripts. It's like a layered 2D effect, which I found a beautiful and refreshing break from the Shrek approach to animation.

Also, there are scary shadow Vikings who look like red-eyed bulls and a trippy forest with a sweet wolf-girl and an evil cave. Very much worth a stream.
Thanks, from:
Demimonde (06-28-2011), LadyShea (06-27-2011)
Old 06-27-2011, 07:00 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Kiddo and I watched that a few months ago, liv. It wasn't even remotely dumbed down kid's stuff and we both enjoyed it.

I mostly watch documentaries on the streaming, and recently watched a really weird one Paul McCartney Really Is Dead: The Last Testament of George Harrison. I may have mentioned it here, I can't remember. Anyway, I don't think the tape really was George Harrison, but whoever it was really tied together tons of crazy shit into a spectacular conspiracy theory...so it was entertaining. In a weird way. I dunno just watch it
Thanks, from:
livius drusus (06-27-2011)
Old 06-27-2011, 07:05 PM

Cool. I was wondering if the Vikings and caves might be a little on the scary side for him. I'm glad to hear he enjoyed it. (I assumed you would, of course.)
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (06-27-2011)
Old 06-27-2011, 07:11 PM

I think the animation actually made it less scary for him, because it wasn't trying for like 3-d photorealistic creepy uncanny valley shit.
Thanks, from:
livius drusus (06-27-2011)
Old 07-01-2011, 10:03 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Oh hey. A little indy show about a rogue band of travelers looks p interesting to me. I don't think anyone knows about it yet. It's kinda quirky.
Thanks, from:
Kael (07-15-2011), livius drusus (07-02-2011)
Old 07-02-2011, 12:53 AM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

I saw 12 and Holding which is by the same director as L.I.E..

In fact, both are available streaming and both are pretty good.

L.I.E. (refers to Long Island Expressway) is about a 15 y/o boy whose mother was killed in a car crash and has an absent/asshole father and he gets involved in an ambiguous relationship with a pedophile in the neighborhood.

12 and Holding is about a (surprise) 12 y/o boy whose twin brother dies in a treehouse fire started by some local bullies (who didn't realize he was in the treehouse) and it's about his and their two friends' responses to the event.

I think L.I.E. was better though.
Thanks, from:
lisarea (07-02-2011)
Old 07-02-2011, 03:15 AM
California Sober

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherMan View Post
Oh hey. A little indy show about a rogue band of travelers looks p interesting to me. I don't think anyone knows about it yet. It's kinda quirky.
:lol: I was gonna post that yesterday. I heard about it via tweet from wilw so that's still a little underground, isn't it?
Old 07-02-2011, 04:54 AM
Some days it's not worth chewing through the straps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erimir View Post
I saw 12 and Holding which is by the same director as L.I.E..

In fact, both are available streaming and both are pretty good.

L.I.E. (refers to Long Island Expressway) is about a 15 y/o boy whose mother was killed in a car crash and has an absent/asshole father and he gets involved in an ambiguous relationship with a pedophile in the neighborhood.

12 and Holding is about a (surprise) 12 y/o boy whose twin brother dies in a treehouse fire started by some local bullies (who didn't realize he was in the treehouse) and it's about his and their two friends' responses to the event.

I think L.I.E. was better though.
I loved L.I.E.. I even bought a copy of it. Brian Cox gave an awesome performance.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:19 PM

Frontline: Post Mortem has just become streamable. It's the show that inspired me to start the thread about the lack of standards and oversight for death investigations in the US.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (07-11-2011), Ensign Steve (07-11-2011), LadyShea (07-12-2011), lisarea (07-11-2011), Nullifidian (07-16-2011)
Old 07-12-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
That movie totally fucking disturbed me, on so many levels.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:03 PM
nominalistic existential pragmaticist

I just gave up Netflix streaming because the price went up. All of the things I watched on streaming, I could get on DVD, but most of the DVDs in my queue couldn't be streamed. So. There.

BTW, Mary and Max was pretty good. About an autistic guy in New York, and a pen pal in Australia. On streaming.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:32 AM

I'm watching this now and it's completely engrossing: The Botany of Desire. It's about crops we heart -- apples, tulips, marijuana -- and is narrated by Michael Pollan. Even if you think that sounds boring, check it out anyway because it really is riveting.
Thanks, from:
Demimonde (08-31-2011), Ensign Steve (08-31-2011), LadyShea (08-31-2011), mulebear (08-31-2011), Nullifidian (08-31-2011)
Old 08-31-2011, 05:31 AM
Some days it's not worth chewing through the straps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livius drusus View Post
I'm watching this now and it's completely engrossing: The Botany of Desire. It's about crops we heart -- apples, tulips, marijuana -- and is narrated by Michael Pollan. Even if you think that sounds boring, check it out anyway because it really is riveting.
I saw that one awhile back. Ron and I both enjoyed it.
livius drusus (09-02-2011)
Old 09-02-2011, 06:05 PM
an angry unicorn or a non-murdering leprechaun

Just found this and thought of you liv.

Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo is a serial version of the story spanning 24 episodes. It is DEFINITELY not the serious, faithful adaptation that we have talked about. For one thing, it is set in 5053, but it is a very interesting treatment so far.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:27 PM

I know about that series! I've heard that despite its future setting the adaptation is actually very loyal to the plot. So it's available streaming? Last time I checked it was just available on DVDs and there are like 20 of them and I don't have the patience, inclination or, as of September 23rd, the Netflix plan, to watch one at a time.

eta IT IS!! :happydance: :raisetheroof: :happydance: (mirrored)
Thanks, from:
Demimonde (09-02-2011)
Old 09-02-2011, 06:37 PM

I would not tease you, madam.

Okay, I would but not about this. :giggle:
livius drusus (09-02-2011)
Old 09-02-2011, 06:58 PM

Man, perfect timing, too. Last weekend I attempted to watch a 90s French mini-series version thinking that Dumas' countrymen would have greater respect for the source material even if they didn't have the best production values. Wrong. The adaptation was offensively bad.

I get that you have to cut plot elements because Count is an insanely complicated book, but there is no justification whatsoever to then turn around and insert whole new hackneyeyed horseshit subplots. I guarantee you whatever your screenwriters come up with will not be better than what Alexandre Dumas came up with originally. I guarantee you this.

Also, and this is really a newsflash for all of France, Gerard Depardieu is not right for every part in the French literary canon. He is so atrociously miscast as the Count that even as I type the words my flesh crawls.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:26 PM

Here you go. That should make you feel betterer. :giggle:

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature