Default Re: What are you reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfry n. glad
Quote:
Quote:
ooo..ooo...

I just sent in my History Book Club form with an order for four books.

Most intriguing is Bart Ehrman's latest, Misquoting Jesus: The Story Behind Who Changed the New Testament and Why. His writing can be quite enjoyable while spinning a tale of scriptural development.

Really.

:nomail:

I can hardly wait.
:mail:

It came! It came!

:mememe:

It's my Solstice gift to myself! On Solstice Day!

As above, Misquoting Jesus: The Story Behind Who Changed the Bible and Why, by Bart Ehrman.

and,

The Failure of the Founding Fathers: Jefferson, Marshall, and the Rise of Presidential Democracy, by Bruce Ackerman.

and,

Inside the Neolithic Mind, by David Lewis-Williams and David Pearce.

and,

120 Banned Books: Censorship Histories of World Literature, by Nicholas J. Karolides, Margaret Bald & Dawn B. Sova.

:lecher:

All I've done is riffle the pages, smell that new book smell and fondle them. Three are hardbacks with dustcovers, the banned books one is softback. All for less than $80, no shipping charges.

:bliss:

I can't start any of them now, anyway. I'm in the midst of three books, still. I'd misplaced my Scotland: A History, edited by Jenny Wormald, but it showed up at my local restaurant, where I'd left it while having dinner. I'm also slogging through Hugh Kennedy's When Baghdad Ruled the Muslim World: The Rise and Fall of Islam's Greatest Dynasty. But when the Scottish history went missing, I picked up All The Shah's Men: An American Coup and the Roots of Middle East Terror, by Stephen Kinzer. Wowza! Is that interesting!

Have a toasty solstice!

:fire2: :larrow: we need one of these with a fireplace around the fire.

I am.

:recliner: :larrow: we need one of these with a book (tented over the face when it reclines).

Last edited by godfry n. glad; 12-22-2005 at 06:11 AM.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:42 PM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

My dad was in Iran 3 days before the hostages were taken. His friends suggested he might wanna leave ahead of schedule on account of some shit was about to go down. He grabbed all the caviar he could carry and got the hell out of Dodge.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:57 PM
rude, crude, lewd, and unsophisticated

Quote:
Originally Posted by livius drusus
My dad was in Iran 3 days before the hostages were taken. His friends suggested he might wanna leave ahead of schedule on account of some shit was about to go down. He grabbed all the caviar he could carry and got the hell out of Dodge.
In Iran, eh? And just what was it your father did for a living? :noid:

Three days, huh? That's a lot more lead time than I would have guessed. I'll bet he was really relieved when he found out. Angry mobs are no fun.

Caviar? I'd have carted out as much lapis lazuli that I could manage.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:59 PM

Chicken broker. Iran had a large international chicken industry back in the day. He was relieved, and so were we. Watching the news a couple days after he got back was really scary, even though I didn't quite understand the severity of the situation.

My dad's friends got out of Dodge at the same time he did (despite being Armenian, they ended up in Turkey). They're the ones who gave him the caviar, although over the years my dad travelled to Iran regularly he brought back 3 or 4 different lapis lazuli pieces, including a gorgeous pair of earrings which I loved because they were like a miniature version of the giant lapis balls affixed to the corners of the ceiling of the Church of the Gesu' on the Capitoline hill.

Iranian caviar beats Russian hands down, in my humble opinion. I could write a book about it.

Hey, speaking of books... Anybody read any good ones lately?

(See how I did that? Smoove, huh?) :ffgiggle:
Old 12-22-2005, 06:06 PM

I'm in the middle of "The Poet and the Murderer" -- the true story of a forger who wrote a new "Emily Dickinson" poem, forged it, and sold it to collectors.

http://muse.jhu.edu/cgi-bin/access.c.../11.2hart.html

By the way, the author draws a parallel between Hoffman (the forger, and a Mormon, by heritage at least) and Joseph Smith. She appears to think that Hoffman got the notion from the founder of his religion.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:47 PM

Stumped as to what I could buy with the $25 Barnes & Noble gift certificate I got for Christmas, I remembered conversations around here when HBO's Rome miniseries was upcoming (and ongoing).

So I bought the first two (huge!) paperback books in the Masters of Rome series by Colleen McCullough. I'm only on page 14 of The First Man In Rome so far; If I don't like it, somebody (*cough* liv *cough* wei yau *cough*) is going to get glared at!

Os-cah!
Old 12-22-2005, 06:50 PM

I can't take the pressure! Please keep us updated on your progress so I can brace myself.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:52 PM

Well, it won't be intentional, but the pressure will likely be prolonged. My days as a fast reader ended when I found much of my time being eaten by the Internet. And DVDs. And HBO original programming.

Os-cah!
Old 12-22-2005, 06:58 PM
Coffin Creep

Any which way but dead by Kim Harrison.

Just finished up Pet Sematary by Stephen King. Interesting, but hardly scary.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonDee
Well, it won't be intentional, but the pressure will likely be prolonged. My days as a fast reader ended when I found much of my time being eaten by the Internet. And DVDs. And HBO original programming.
I hear ya, sister. In fact, I am currently reading Finding Serenity : Anti-Heroes, Lost Shepherds and Space Hookers in Joss Whedon's Firefly, just in case I don't get enough TV and movies watching TV and movies. :ffgiggle:
Old 12-22-2005, 07:36 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ymir's blood
I haven't read any Stephen King since I was in the Army, but I read The Shining, It, The Talisman, Salem's Lot, Different Seasons, and Misery while I was there. I've always thought of them as more funny and twisted than scary.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:24 AM
Coffin Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscousmemories
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ymir's blood
I haven't read any Stephen King since I was in the Army, but I read The Shining, It, The Talisman, Salem's Lot, Different Seasons, and Misery while I was there. I've always thought of them as more funny and twisted than scary.
Pet Sematary is somewhat twisted. I went in to it expecting a bad ending so that probably decreased the shock value. Plus, watching so much anime in my teens and twenties probably raised the bar too high.

There is a reference to Salem's Lot in PS, actually. One of the characters is driving down a highway towards the end and passes an exit for the town of Salem's Lot.

If they have it at the used bookstore in Raleigh, I'll pick it up over the weekend. Not long ago, I read a short story by King, Jerusalem's Lot which I suspect is either the first part or else a early version of the novel. It was pretty good although it was extremely derivative of Lovecraft.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:16 PM

I have about 9 books on the go - I have no self-control. *Stands* Hello, my name is Nichola and I'm a bookaholic.

Last one I started was Life Swap by Jane Green. I know, I know. I feel so dirty. :( Would it make it any better if I said I'm also reading Don't Eat This Book by Morgan Spurlock?
Old 12-23-2005, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarletpeaches
I have about 9 books on the go - I have no self-control. *Stands* Hello, my name is Nichola and I'm a bookaholic.
You're a biblioslut?

Me, too!

:bookworm:
Old 12-23-2005, 05:23 PM
A fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi

I've got to get something for the plane ride home. Have the MP3 player all juiced and ready to go, now need a good book to match the mellow tunes. I hate flying.
Old 12-23-2005, 05:30 PM
Admin

I'm so scared on planes I can't even concentrate enough to read the in-flight magazine.
Old 12-23-2005, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJoe
I've got to get something for the plane ride home. Have the MP3 player all juiced and ready to go, now need a good book to match the mellow tunes. I hate flying.
May I recommend Robert Price's The Incredible Shrinking Son of Man?

:D
Old 01-03-2006, 06:05 AM
go fish

Well, I don't know what I'm going to read next, but I thought I'd comment on both of the Neil Gaiman books I had on deck.

I read American Gods first and enjoyed it very much because of the rich mythical content set against modern U.S. I loved the "See Rock City!" reference, since I experienced this bizarre and insistent advertising phenomenon the entire drive across Tennessee in the mid-80's, including the odd feeling when we saw what was at Lookout Mountain ("All that for this?!"). The different encounters with the gods reminded me of an episode of Daria when holiday characters came to visit her high school: very funny.

Tonight I finished Anansi Boys. It was quite entertaining and his writing style in this book reminds me quite a bit of Tom Robbins. My favorite part is his use of the lime at the end.

I need to order some more of his books. Thanks for the recommendations, guys!

Last edited by pescifish; 01-03-2006 at 11:54 PM.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:42 AM
professional left-winger

I started Foucault's Pendulum last night. Since I read mostly while in bed, who knows if I'll be able to stick with it. From what I've read here about that book, it may be more work than I want to do before sleep.

I also have a couple time management & organizational type things going.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:44 AM
Freethinker and Humanist

Freemonkey -- if you just remember that Eco is deconstructing deconstructionism in Foucault's Pendulum, you'll be okay.

I'm reading Michael Ruse's The Evolution-Creationism Struggle, which is part history of science/part philosophical analysis of the history of the two modes of thought from the Protestant Reformation to today. It's good so far.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:52 PM
Gone Guy

I'm reading Wicked - The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West, kind of a prequel to The Wizard of Oz.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:54 PM
go fish

I picked up Terry Pratchett's Truth from my unread pile this morning. I haven't started it yet.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:11 AM
Coffin Creep

Funeral Customs: Their Origin and Development by Bertam S. Puckle. I found an online text of it off of a Google search for 'sin eater' and ended up buying a copy of the book used through Amazon.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:46 AM
Vaginally-privileged sociopathic cultist

I'm ripping through the Harry Potter books at lightning speed. It took me 3 days to read the first 3, and have now spent 2 or 3 on GoF.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:32 AM

I dropped my Baghdad book and finished the Shah coup book and have moved on to The Failure of the Founding Fathers: Jefferson, Marshall, and the Rise of Presidential Democracy, by Bruce Ackerman, and Inside the Neolithic Mind, by David Lewis-Williams and David Pearce, both of the Rock Art Research Institute at the University of Witwatersrand, Johannesburg.

The latter is definitely going to be a challenge. After distinguishing between religious experience, religious belief and religious practice, they wrap up the section on religion with this:

"An individual's religion shifts from between these three interlocking dimensions. For some, mystics and especially anchorites, personal experience is paramount, though it is, of course, always set within a specific, socially shared belief system and economic circumstances. Mendicant friars depend on the generosity of others who buy into the general tenets of the religion. Other religious practitioners, for whatever reason, emphasize belief: they are the theologians, medieval schoolmen and sophists who establish themselves as the artbiters of belief. Inevitably, they manipulate the systems of belief that they construct to include or exclude people, as the Church Fathers did at Nicea. Religious belief is more divisive than religious experience. The third dimension of religion, religious practice, is an (often the) arena of society in which the widest range of people must necessarily take part, whether they have moving religious experiences or not, whether they fully understand the belief system or not. There are many reasons for attending mass." pp. 27-28

Fun, huh?

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature