Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 03-20-2015, 10:24 AM
" I am human. I conider nothing that is human as alien to me." Terence

Default Individualism

Some recommended reading:

Subjective Individualism---Frederick Neitchze--"The Gay Science", "Human, All too Human", "Beyond Good and Evil", and "Thus Spake Zarathustra".

Objective Individualism--Ayn Rand-- "The Virtue of Selfishness", "Atlas Shrugged", "The Fountainhead", "We The Living">

I read both authors when I was in my 20's and they have heavily influenced my Philosophy on the Individual.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:56 AM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

Default Re: Individualism

To be nearly 70 years old and still think that Ayn Rand is a superkeen philosopher, well, that's just sad. It does help explain the selfish, narcissistic asshole factor, at any rate.
Thanks, from:
chunksmediocrites (03-22-2015), Dingfod (03-20-2015), JoeP (03-20-2015), lisarea (03-20-2015), Pan Narrans (03-20-2015), Sock Puppet (03-23-2015), Watser? (03-23-2015)
Old 03-20-2015, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livius drusus View Post
To be nearly 70 years old and still think that Ayn Rand is a superkeen philosopher, well, that's just sad. It does help explain the selfish, narcissistic asshole factor, at any rate.
I was a camp follower of Objectivism when I was in my 20's, I attended a lecture by Ayn Rand at the Freedom Forum in Boston and wasn't that impressed by her in person.
Old 03-20-2015, 03:46 PM
Solipsist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsavegan View Post
Quote:
I was a camp follower of Objectivism when I was in my 20's, I attended a lecture by Ayn Rand at the Freedom Forum in Boston and wasn't that impressed by her in person.
How camp were you?

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
chunksmediocrites (03-22-2015), Dingfod (03-20-2015), livius drusus (03-20-2015), Sock Puppet (03-23-2015), Watser? (03-23-2015)
Old 03-20-2015, 04:50 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

Quote:
Objective Individualism--Ayn Rand . . . heavily influenced my Philosophy on the Individual.
:laugh:

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Thanks, from:
Dingfod (03-20-2015), livius drusus (03-20-2015), Watser? (03-23-2015)
Old 03-20-2015, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Quote:
Quote:
How camp were you?
Pretty campy. I subscribed to the monthly newsletter and read all the authors that were mentioned.
Old 03-20-2015, 05:18 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Bob, I think the main point that you're missing here is that pretty much everyone here is familiar with Nietzsche and Rand. We're not idiots and we're not children. You keep lecturing us as though you think you're some sage elder or something, but apart from some of your more nonsensical proclamations, you're not telling us anything we haven't heard a million times before.

And seriously, I am generally annoyed by philosophy, and do not seek out philosophical topics, so I really only pick up philosophy by osmosis or something. And of your posts that I've read, I have yet to see a quote or any other information I wasn't already familiar with. It must be so much worse for those here who give a crap about the subject. And you did notice the forum has a whole Philosophy subforum. It was here long before you were. There are people here who do care and who, I assume, know quite a bit about it.

Ayn Rand's philosophy, apart from being evil, is incredibly naive and childish. Most people get over Rand by their 20s, as they get out in the world and start to understand what an absurd lie the whole just world hypothesis is. Ayn Rand is not for grownups.

You're probably not a terrible person, and you're not as old as you seem to think. There is a whole world of stuff out there, and it's really kind of sad that you seem to think you're done experiencing it and there's nothing left worth learning. Because that is not true.

Seriously, Bob. Stop talking over everyone all the time, and get out of your head for a minute. You are very inexperienced, and you're not going to learn anything more about the world with this bizarre solipsism. You are not some perfect microcosm of human experience. There are people out there who know things you don't. Go find out what.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (03-22-2015), chunksmediocrites (03-22-2015), Crumb (03-20-2015), Dingfod (03-20-2015), erimir (03-21-2015), JoeP (03-20-2015), Kael (03-21-2015), livius drusus (03-20-2015), Pan Narrans (03-20-2015), ShottleBop (03-21-2015), Sock Puppet (03-23-2015), Stephen Maturin (03-20-2015), Stormlight (03-20-2015), Watser? (03-23-2015)
Old 03-20-2015, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
Bob, I think the main point that you're missing here is that pretty much everyone here is familiar with Nietzsche and Rand. We're not idiots and we're not children. You keep lecturing us as though you think you're some sage elder or something, but apart from some of your more nonsensical proclamations, you're not telling us anything we haven't heard a million times before.

And seriously, I am generally annoyed by philosophy, and do not seek out philosophical topics, so I really only pick up philosophy by osmosis or something. And of your posts that I've read, I have yet to see a quote or any other information I wasn't already familiar with. It must be so much worse for those here who give a crap about the subject. And you did notice the forum has a whole Philosophy subforum. It was here long before you were. There are people here who do care and who, I assume, know quite a bit about it.

Ayn Rand's philosophy, apart from being evil, is incredibly naive and childish. Most people get over Rand by their 20s, as they get out in the world and start to understand what an absurd lie the whole just world hypothesis is. Ayn Rand is not for grownups.

You're probably not a terrible person, and you're not as old as you seem to think. There is a whole world of stuff out there, and it's really kind of sad that you seem to think you're done experiencing it and there's nothing left worth learning. Because that is not true.

Seriously, Bob. Stop talking over everyone all the time, and get out of your head for a minute. You are very inexperienced, and you're not going to learn anything more about the world with this bizarre solipsism. You are not some perfect microcosm of human experience. There are people out there who know things you don't. Go find out what.
You are entitled to your opinion.
Old 03-20-2015, 05:46 PM
Solipsist

Quote:
Quote:

Oh no she isn't!

Thanks, from:
chunksmediocrites (03-22-2015), Crumb (03-20-2015), Dingfod (03-20-2015), erimir (03-21-2015), Kael (03-21-2015), LadyShea (03-20-2015), lisarea (03-20-2015), Pan Narrans (03-20-2015), Sock Puppet (03-23-2015), Stephen Maturin (03-20-2015), Watser? (03-23-2015)
Old 03-20-2015, 05:53 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Quote:
Originally Posted by encased in the amber of quote tags now View Post
:woohoo: Did everybody see that? A white guy told me that I AM entitled to my opinion! Now I don't have to disappear in a puff of smoke!

SUCK IT, HATERS.

ETA: OK, Joe. Let's decide with a BEARD CONTEST.
Thanks, from:
Dingfod (03-20-2015), Kael (03-21-2015), livius drusus (03-20-2015), Pan Narrans (03-20-2015), Sock Puppet (03-23-2015), Watser? (03-23-2015)
Old 03-20-2015, 05:55 PM
Solipsist

Quote:
Quote:
:woohoo: Did everybody see that? A white guy told me that I AM entitled to my opinion! Now I don't have to disappear in a puff of smoke!

SUCK IT, HATERS.
And you believed him?

Thanks, from:
Watser? (03-23-2015)
Old 03-20-2015, 06:03 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
Quote:
:woohoo: Did everybody see that? A white guy told me that I AM entitled to my opinion!
I bet he says that to all the girls. He probably said it to the sex worker who threw his ass out in Italy half a century ago.
Thanks, from:
Dingfod (03-20-2015)
Old 03-20-2015, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Quote:
Quote:
:woohoo: Did everybody see that? A white guy told me that I AM entitled to my opinion!
I bet he says that to all the girls. He probably said it to the sex worker who threw his ass out in Italy half a century ago.
Every Individual is entitled to their opinion, and worth listening to, regardless of race, sex, or national origin. I am human...and so are you.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:27 PM
A fellow sophisticate

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Every Individual is entitled to their opinion, and worth listening to, regardless of race, sex, or national origin. I am human...and so are you.
Oh no you di'n't.
chunksmediocrites (03-22-2015), Crumb (03-20-2015)
Old 03-20-2015, 06:45 PM
Reality Adventurer

Hey, listen to the old man. In Bob's world, he is the first person to make it to 68 thus automatically attaining wisdom. Even though in his entire life he has shown little of it.
Thanks, from:
Dingfod (03-21-2015)
Old 03-20-2015, 10:56 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

I disagree that everyone is worth listening to.
Thanks, from:
chunksmediocrites (03-22-2015), Dingfod (03-21-2015), livius drusus (03-21-2015), Sock Puppet (03-23-2015), Watser? (03-23-2015)
Old 03-21-2015, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob

Subjective Individualism---Frederick Neitchze--"The Gay Science", "Human, All too Human", "Beyond Good and Evil", and "Thus Spake Zarathustra".

Objective Individualism--Ayn Rand-- "The Virtue of Selfishness", "Atlas Shrugged", "The Fountainhead", "We The Living">
Why refer us to other writers? Why don't you just explain it yourself?

Thanks, from:
Angakuk (03-22-2015), Crumb (03-21-2015), davidm (03-23-2015), Dingfod (03-21-2015), JoeP (03-21-2015), Kael (03-21-2015), lisarea (03-21-2015), livius drusus (03-21-2015), naturalist.atheist (03-21-2015), Stephen Maturin (03-22-2015), Watser? (03-23-2015)
Old 03-21-2015, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob

Why refer us to other writers? Why don't you just explain it yourself?

That's a good question, Maddog. I'm not sure if I could explain their Philosophy of the Individual if they even had one. I'd rather explain my own. However, It doesn't hurt to give a bibliography of authors I have been influenced by. They only influenced me concerning Individualism and not anything else.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:00 PM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

I'm not reading your links, that's not what I'm on this forum for.

Citations of books are like the low tech version of the hyperlink.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erimir View Post
I'm not reading your links, that's not what I'm on this forum for.

Citations of books are like the low tech version of the hyperlink.
To explain your ideas in your own words and then afterward to supply a bibliography of links that have influenced your thinking is fine with me.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:39 PM
Reality Adventurer

Bob, what erimir was trying to tell you is that in the 21st century, the one we are currently in, if your content is online it is very, very, very backwards to not include a link when one exists. Almost all of the books that you reference can be linked.

And the thing about links is that the reader can access the material immediately. They don't have to go to the library, they don't have to order the book. They can get it now. So you are being very backwards when you don't do this, and you are not reaching your online audience, since citations is not what they have come to expect on the internet.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:58 PM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

Actually, I was just making fun of the fact that Bob refuses to read things others link to, but he cites whole books.

But yes, he could link to those things. Some of them are public domain so they're probably available for free online now.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy