Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium

Old 04-11-2007, 07:49 PM
mostly harmless

Default Re: Member News

After yet another yelling match with my FIL, he's on a break from watching our kids for a while. He's just around the house too much, makes up his own rules which we're supposed to follow, etc. What set him off was that I couldn't find a set of keys for my shed and pole barn, and they were in his truck! Whatever. It's too long a story to go fully into now.

Anyway though, I've now got new motivation to hurry up and finish school. The sooner I can get into a better position, the less we'll need to depend on him for anything. That'll make me and the wife less stressed and everybody (well, maybe except him) happier.

Old 04-12-2007, 06:38 PM
Done

My web site had a glowing review from the Portland paper. It received 3 stars (3 stars=excellent 2 stars=good 1 star=poor). One part of the review said:

"The Web site knows its audience and provides scads of information: articles on gardening, a calendar of events, a forum, plant bios and beautiful photography. Even the ads are unobtrusive and -- bonus! -- there are no popups."

Needless to say this started my day out on a bright note.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:37 PM
mostly harmless

FIL had a minor heart attack last Monday. Apparently, his recent discomfort had had an effect on his mood. One artery had 90% blockage, but he's got a stent in there now and is doing much better. He's even in a noticeably better mood.

In other news, the baby had his first haircut this weekend and looks like a completely different boy now. I've yet to upload pictures, but will try to get to it soon.

Old 04-26-2007, 10:22 PM
Compensating for something...

http://cbs5.com/topstories/local_story_116173155.html (Video links both edited and raw)
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sec...cal&id=5247056

One of my less pleasant military duties. I'm the really tall troop with the yellow band on the hat and yellow belt.

NTM

Last edited by California Tanker; 04-27-2007 at 07:18 AM.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:34 AM
Wildcard!

I have returned home. I am very glad that the hottest it got was 113 degrees and that nothing awful happened.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:05 PM
Just keep m'nose clean, egg, chips & beans, I'm always full of steam

My house in California finally closed and recorded. I'm finally no longer a negative-millionaire. It cost me buttloads of cash to cover the shortfall, but between tax refunds, my wife's settlement, and corporate reimbursements, we will be able to pay off all of our credit card debt and start saving for next year's ridiculously high Texas property taxes. While we're not wealthy by any stretch of the imagination, for the first time in years, I won't be worrying about money at all.

And in other good news, my manager announced to the group that I'm moving into a supervisory role. He's a bit vague about when this will translate into an official promotion (could still be months away), but that is now inevitable.

:sockpuppet:...........
Old 05-03-2007, 02:32 PM
Servant of the Dark Lord

Default Re: Member News Discussion

I am not dead. I haven't posted in a while so I thought I should remind you all that I have not expired yet. I am sure such an event would fill you all with unimaginable grief so here I am.

Allan Glenn. 1984-2005 RIP
:countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep:
Under no circumstances should Quentin Tarantino be allowed to befoul Star Trek.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:22 PM
Wildcard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javaman View Post
I have returned home. I am very glad that the hottest it got was 113 degrees and that nothing awful happened.
Being in such a hot place has helped with our most recent fiasco. Our air-conditioning went out just after I returned. Luckily the weather hasn't been too bad but today I'm really noticing it. It is 88 degrees inside the house right now and I don't like sweating for no reason. On the plus side, our neighbor does heating and air-conditioning for a living and he was able to get all the parts at cost. I'm paying him $500 for the installation. We started a few days ago but he's on call today and we still have an hour or so of work to complete. I hope he comes home soon and can finish up.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:18 PM
Tellifying

Well, after nearly 37 years of life, I finally did it. I broke my first bone. One of my own, that is.

Managed to break my left pinky toe. Thought it was just a stubbed toe, but the pain and swelling throughout the weekend convinced me otherwise.

Apparently ramming your foot into the corner of a door, so that the corner wedges between your left pinky toe and its neighbor can be sufficient to cause a break.

So, I'm hobbling around with a special "shoe" on my left foot. Not major news, but there you have it.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:47 PM
ninja mother

I'm back! :muahaha:
Old 05-21-2007, 07:13 AM
The cat that will listen

I graduated from law school yesterday (and graduate school last week), so I am finished with my JD/MPA program and now can focus on unloading the UHaulit and unpacking all the things that we thought were necessary to move across the Southeast. (And some that weren't.) Also, signing up for FlyLady because after hauling literally truckloads of trash away from duplex, I have to admit we are little pigs. But at least we are well-educated pigs.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:51 PM
mostly harmless

I'm done with the spring semester! No school for me until the fall.

Here's the final form of the robot:

Old 05-25-2007, 07:53 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

Looks cool, Shake!
Old 05-27-2007, 02:55 PM
Wildcard!

I will be leaving in a couple of weeks for my last overseas trip this year (barring something stupid happening). I'm just glad it'll be a trip to Crete. I have to remember to put my Nation State on 'vacation' mode. I think my hotel has their wireless setup working so I'll probably take my laptop and stay in touch better. I'm looking forward to a quiet summer and fall. Perhaps I'll try to do something with these 174 credit hours I have for college and actually get a degree!
Old 05-27-2007, 06:28 PM
Solipsist

In the brief moments since my last post on this thread, I have continued to be busy at work, but that's life.

We have got a new kitten, all black with grey/white speckles, name Dusty.

We have got ADSL ... not exactly broadband - 384K - but a whole lot better than before. Now I just need some more RAM to cope with it ... and a new computer to put the RAM in.

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Old 05-29-2007, 06:25 PM
mostly harmless

Thanks, Crumb. Wound up with an A- in that class, an A- in my computing class, and amazingly a B+ in Dynamics. Not sure quite how I did that last one. I was hoping for a high C at best. I must have done well on the last regular test and final (and have that 62 on the first test dropped).

Old 06-05-2007, 04:08 PM

Default Them's the Breaks

Like MonCap, I am not dead.

I didn't know I was going to have a Memorial Day party at my house, but on the Friday before, my brother called up and said his family wanted to come over and barbecue and (most importantly!) swim in the pool. Turned out to be a lovely, lovely day.

When the day went into evening and everyone was leaving, my aged aunt wanted to wave goodbye from the front room window. Unfortunately she missed the step-down into the living room, took a bit of a spill and, yes, broke her thigh bone. We went to surgery (finally!) on Thursday and everything went well. Well enough that by Sunday, she was transferred to the rehab facility. Until this incident, my aunt had never spent a night in a hospital in 95 years.

What it means, of course, is that she can no longer live alone. Ultlimately, I think she will be able to resume independent living, not really need assisted living, but she will need to do it in a place that has people available at a moment's notice to help.

So, I am now clearing out my guest room to accommodate her for the foreseeable future after rehab, until she gets back on her feet (literally!) and decides where she wants to go. I'm also clearing out (giving up) her apartment, bringing some of her familiar things to furnish "her room" in my house, storing some, and getting rid of the rest. I can see a yard sale in my future.

This is not a horribly sad event. It just requires more time, effort and thought for the time being. I'm happy to be able to something to help. I owe this person a great deal; she helped us so much as little kids, took me and my brothers on a mountain vacation every single year in the summers. She saved our lives. I'm happy to give a little something back.

Old 06-08-2007, 06:35 PM
Wildcard!

I am in Crete. The journey was long and I am worn out. This is the second time that I've typed this as the wireless connection in the hotel is way flaky. I hope everyone is well.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:20 AM
Raping the Marlboro Man

See sig.
Old 06-17-2007, 04:28 AM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

I am leaving tomorrow on what just may turn out to be the road trip from hell. Going on vacation. 5,000 miles and 13 relatives in 17 days. If you don't hear from me at the end of that time would someone please call 911 or at least send Lassie out to look for me. I hope to return with both my marriage and my sanity intact, but the odds are not good.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:54 PM
Wildcard!

I am home. The storms in the Atlanta area made the last leg of my trip very unpleasant. I didn't get into my home port until almost 1:00 am this morning. All told, it was about 27 hours of travel. Likely, I will crash after the morning's coffee wears out. Some bills accrued over the last couple of weeks and one is due today so I'd better sort that out. I was going to stop by the office for a little bit today but I think I'll put that off until tomorrow. Maybe I'll spend my day posting here.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:01 PM
mostly harmless

I know I'm not around much lately, but I'm off to DC for a few days starting when we leave early Saturday morning. It's sort of a large family trip, as several of the wife's aunts, uncles, & cousins are also making the trip. Her mom will be riding with us. We return on Wednesday the 27th. Going to take in the sights and catch a Nationals game on Saturday night, IIRC.

Old 06-23-2007, 07:23 PM
Compensating for something...

Currently conducting my annual pennance.

Living in a tent in the desert in June sucks. I just wanted to say that. One more week to go.

NTM
Old 06-23-2007, 09:59 PM
simple country microbiologist hyperchicken

a few weeks ago, my mom decided to leave the house that my father left her to my sister instead of to each of us as she had promised and as my father wished.

i was pissed i moved out to live with my brother.

mom died last saturday and according to her only friend really regretting what she had done. :shrug:

funeral today, wont really have internet till next week some time.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:09 PM

laugh I seem to have some how developed a social life over the last few months. im still in a state of shock over it myself, so that is where i have been.

between my guitar, my new giurlfriend her kid, the local herpatolagy organization I joined...(I'm breedng snakes now), and the other crap I like dooing.... like killing and eating the local canadian wild life. i just dont have the time sit down at my computer any more.

soo this is I think the 3rd time now where Im saying I wont be around much if at all. ..later guys

Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium