Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Food & Drink

Old 07-19-2004, 07:39 AM
butterface

Default Re: What's for Dinner?

Spaghetti with garlic, the tail end of the now extremely leftover roasted red peppers, olives, Romano, hot pepper flakes and flatleaf parsley.

And THEY said there was nothing to eat in the house. Silly boys.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:41 AM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevDahlia
Spaghetti with garlic, the tail end of the now extremely leftover roasted red peppers, olives, Romano, hot pepper flakes and flatleaf parsley.

And THEY said there was nothing to eat in the house. Silly boys.
Sounds delicious, and that sig line makes me smile every time, Rev. :yup:
Old 07-19-2004, 08:22 AM
butterface

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscousmemories
Sounds delicious, and that sig line makes me smile every time, Rev. :yup:
Thanks and thanks! I am considering getting "Now watch this drive" T-shirts made up, just to be funny and horrible. I believe this is called "whistling in the dark".

Here it comes again:
Old 07-20-2004, 01:35 AM
go fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauri D
What is roast rub though? Is it like a prepackaged thing you can get at the store? /ignorance
Yeah, it's prepackaged -- like a seasoning. I bought a spice rack a while back that had stuff in all the little bottles. Pork rub, chicken rub, etc..

They look like just some mix of spices intended to get applied generously and rubbed into the skin before cooking.

Arby's "Market Fresh" sandwiches are excellent. I also tried a Martha's Vineyard salad (it had apples in it, but not as many vegetables as I'd like) which was tasty. It was very pricey though: Salad and sandwich and drink was over $10. I suppose that's equivalent to sandwich/salad take-out from Marie Calendars or Cocos or Chilis or Applebees, so not too bad.

I'm not tellin' what dinner tonight is. :blush: Youse guys are all gore-mets and all.
Old 07-20-2004, 06:06 PM
poster over sea and land

I'm making roasted chicken breasts, marinated in lemon, lime, onions, olive oil, and vinegar. A cornbread with hot peppers, garlic, and cheddar. A Greek salad and a lemony rice dish.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:15 AM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

Penne alla Vodka tonight. I was particularly careful to chop the tomatoes into teeny bits so it was very well emulsified. Mmm... emulsified... :homer:

It's one of the easiest super-delicious dishes you can make, although not what one might call health food. :didi: Here's my favorite version of it, should any of you care to give it a roll.

Penna Alla Vodka

2 cloves garlic - crushed and peeled
2 Tbls. butter
1 14oz can peeled tomatoes, broken up with your hands or chopped (tomato asses are the archnemeses of emulsification)
1/3 cup vodka
1 tsp red pepper flakes
salt to taste
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup grated parmesan + more for sprinkling on top
1 Lb. penne

Place the red pepper flakes into the vodka and let sit for 2 hours to absorb flavor. Don't use really crappy jug vodka, but there's no need to go ultra-fancy either.

Bring a pot of salted water to a rolling boil and add penne. Cook as instructed on the box but taste test 2 minutes before minimum time is up to be sure it's still very al dente. If it's in any way soft, it'll break apart when you mix it with the sauce and that sucks. A lot.

Meanwhile, in a pan large enough to accomodate the cooked pasta, saute the garlic in butter until soft but not brown. Stir in the tomatoes and vodka and simmer 3 minutes. Season with salt to taste (I did about 3 grinds tonight and it was a little short).

Add cream and simmer 2-3 minutes. Add the 1/4 cup parmesan and stir until emulsified. Add cooked pasta with to the sauce and stir until the pasta thoroughly imbued with the sauce. Serve immediately (in warm dishes if you want to be fancy) with a grated parmesan on the table for those who feel the need.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:31 AM
select custom_user_title from user_info where username='Goliath';

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauri D
What is roast rub though? Is it like a prepackaged thing you can get at the store? /ignorance
Oh I love roast rub! It's nothing too fancy, though, you just reach back, and...ummm..err....wait a minute.

Nevermind. :D :innocent:
Old 07-21-2004, 04:00 AM
A fellow sophisticate

* Dingfod rubs non-existant window pane as though cleaning it
What's for Dinner? Quesadillas made with Tyson Popcorn Chicken, cheddar cheese, Jack Daniel's hot sauce, and low carb tortilla's toasted brown on the stovetop in a big frying pan.
That's what's for dinner. Mmm-mmm!

Grandpa
Old 07-21-2004, 11:38 PM
Admin

Okay, here's another delightful recipe livius gave me followed by how I mercilessly abused it last night, just for fun.

Spicy Garlic Shrimp and Tomato Spaghetti

2 T bread crumbs
1/2 cup plus 1 T olive oil
3/4 lb spaghetti
1/2 lb shelled, deveined med shrimp, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1/2 pint small yellow pear or red grape tomatoes
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp minced rosemary
1 tsp crushed red pepper
s&p

In a small skillet, cook the bread crumbs in 1 T olive oil over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until golden and crisp, 2-3 min. Scrape the crumbs onto a plate. Boil salted water in large pot. Cook spaghetti until just barely al dente. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking water. Meanwhile, in a large, deep skillet, combine remaining 1/4 cup olive oil with shrimp, tomatoes, garlic, rosemary, crushed red pepper. Add the spaghetti and the reserved cooking water to the skillet and add s&p. Cook over moderately high heat, tossing the pasta and lightly crushing the tomatoes, until the sauce is slightly thickened and the shrimp are cooked through (about 4 min).

Put pasta in bowls, sprinkle with bread crumbs and serve.

Okay, sounds easy enough. Here's what happens when you're a bachelor operating on however many brain cells remain after 20 years of alcohol abuse:

Spicy Garlic Shrimp and Tomato Spaghetti

2 T bread crumbs easy enough, always have some handy 'cause chicken cutlets are the BOMB!
1/2 cup plus 1 T olive oil always on hand.
3/4 lb spaghetti Oops. Well, I've got angel hair anyway.
1/2 lb shelled, deveined med shrimp, cut into 1/2 inch pieces Yeah I have some shrimp in the fridge. That's why we're making this. It looks funny but it doesn't smell too bad.
1/2 pint small yellow pear or red grape tomatoes I've got a can of whole tomatoes... should work.
2 garlic cloves, minced Grr. Out of garlic and my idiot housemate must've used the last of my garlic powder. It's not bad enough that you incessantly steal my food products, why not compound it with screwing me out of it.
1 tsp minced rosemary Hmm... I guess that means mashed in the pestle? Or is it in the mortar? Which is which? Oh well, mashed it is.
1 tsp crushed red pepper Got it.
s&p Hehe. Didn't see this until just now. No wonder it needed salt.

In a small skillet, cook the bread crumbs in 1 T olive oil over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until golden and crisp, 2-3 min. Scrape the crumbs onto a plate. Easy enough Boil salted water in large pot. Ok Cook spaghetti until just barely al dente. Angel hair Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking water. I never do that 'cause I don't know why. Meanwhile, in a large, deep skillet, combine remaining 1/4 cup olive oil with shrimp, tomatoes, garlic, rosemary, crushed red pepper. I'll combine what I have. But 1/4 c of oil? The ingredients list says 1/2 c. Add the spaghetti and the reserved cooking water to the skillet and add s&p. Angel hair, no water, missed the s&p. Cook over moderately high heat, tossing the pasta and lightly crushing the tomatoes, until the sauce is slightly thickened and the shrimp are cooked through (about 4 min). No, not really. Actually I cooked the shrimp in the oil, diced up whole canned tomatoes and limited spices (raw shrimp scares me), then dumped in the angel hair and mixed well.

Put pasta in bowls, sprinkle with bread crumbs and serve. Hmm. Well I'm just serving myself. What do I do with the extra crumbs, toss 'em? Throw out perfectly good food? Nah, I'll just dump 'em all on top of my plate.

Okay now, my way wasn't nauseating, but I wouldn't call it magical either. It would've been better if I hadn't dumped all the breadcrumbs on top. Save them in a baggie for leftovers. Oh and always have fresh garlic on hand and I suspect fresh tomatoes would've been better. And spaghetti! Definitely use spaghetti. I'm not sure if fettucinni, fusilli or soba would've been better, but those were my only other alternatives. :)
Old 07-22-2004, 01:26 AM
California Sober

One pint of Ben & Jerry's New York Super Fudge Chunk.

Really, I usually eat a lot better than this.
Old 07-22-2004, 02:29 AM
butterface

VM, that was hilarious.

What's for dinner? We be grillin'. Lemon-garlic shrimp on skewers and grilled eggplant in whole-wheat pita with tzatziki and tabbouleh. Also a veritable ocean of Chardonnay. (I am irritated with my husband, and am getting back at him by producing a fabulous dinner. Twisted, I know.)
Old 07-22-2004, 06:12 AM
Admin

Quote:
VM, that was hilarious.
Thanks. :)

Quote:
What's for dinner? We be grillin'. Lemon-garlic shrimp on skewers and grilled eggplant in whole-wheat pita with tzatziki and tabbouleh. Also a veritable ocean of Chardonnay. (I am irritated with my husband, and am getting back at him by producing a fabulous dinner. Twisted, I know.)
So? How was it? Still tappin' that Chardonnay?
Old 07-22-2004, 07:13 AM
butterface

Quote:
So? How was it? Still tappin' that Chardonnay?
Chardonnay gone. About to move on to gin. Am no longer irritated with husband; he bought me off with a couple of Swedish salted licorice candies shaped like fish. (There is not much I won't do for salted licorice.)

Dinner was fine. The shrimp were ambrosial. The tabbouleh was good, although I now have a blister on my right index finger from chopping all that damn parsley. The eggplant was a little too enthusiastic about slurping up olive oil, and as a result was kinda cloying. (I'm pressing the leftovers between many thicknesses of paper towels, under the compact edition of the OED, to mitigate this.) And tzatziki -- plain yogurt, grated cucumber, and chopped mint -- is just about the best thing ever. (I'm half Armenian; it is to this that I attribute my excessive fondness for the stuff. But it is very good regardless of one's genetic makeup.) Try it with barbecued lamb or chicken or lentils, the spicier the better -- mm yummy.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Still tappin' that Chardonnay?
Is it just me, or does that sound like a eupemism for something else? :D
Old 07-22-2004, 07:46 AM
Admin

Quote:
Chardonnay gone. About to move on to gin. Am no longer irritated with husband; he bought me off with a couple of Swedish salted licorice candies shaped like fish. (There is not much I won't do for salted licorice.)
/me makes a note on the shopping list.

Quote:
Dinner was fine. The shrimp were ambrosial. The tabbouleh was good, although I now have a blister on my right index finger from chopping all that damn parsley. The eggplant was a little too enthusiastic about slurping up olive oil, and as a result was kinda cloying. (I'm pressing the leftovers between many thicknesses of paper towels, under the compact edition of the OED, to mitigate this.)
I've never made tabbouleh at home. I used to work at a deli, though, and made it plenty of times there. It's been years, though.

Quote:
And tzatziki -- plain yogurt, grated cucumber, and chopped mint -- is just about the best thing ever. (I'm half Armenian; it is to this that I attribute my excessive fondness for the stuff. But it is very good regardless of one's genetic makeup.) Try it with barbecued lamb or chicken or lentils, the spicier the better -- mm yummy.
I love tzatziki but I've never made that at home either. That's all it is, then? Yogurt, cuke and mint? I don't think I've ever had BBQ lamb either but the sound of it makes my mouth water...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goliath
Is it just me, or does that sound like a eupemism for something else?
:D
Old 07-22-2004, 08:00 AM
butterface

Quote:
* viscousmemories makes a note on the shopping list.
Awwww.
Quote:
I've never made tabbouleh at home. I used to work at a deli, though, and made it plenty of times there. It's been years, though.
It is a great sorrow to my Middle Eastern half that the Cuisinart won't make tabbouleh adequately. For some reason it always reduces the parsley to a sad, harsh green paste. (If anybody out there knows how to avoid this, please do tell.)
Quote:
I love tzatziki but I've never made that at home either. That's all it is, then? Yogurt, cuke and mint?
Yup. Often some lemon juice too, but I figured that'd be redundant with all the lemon in the tabbouleh. (Gringo tabbouleh is usually pretty dry and mostly bulgur. I like mine very wet, green and sharp.) You can add garlic with no ill effects.

Quote:
I don't think I've ever had BBQ lamb either but the sound of it makes my mouth water...
Oh, it is so, so good. I hate lamb unless it has got nice and charred and sticky over a real fire. Try leg of lamb cut into cubes, marinate it in lime or lemon juice and lots of garlic and olive oil and pepper flakes and maybe some cumin, and skewer it over a fierce fire until it is done but still pink in the middle... heaven.

[Edit, for nitpicky purposes: I know that tzatziki is technically Greek, but variations on the theme abound all over the eastern Mediterranean... and my demi-countymen are all about dumping yogurt on everything. I forget what the Armenian and Lebanese variants are called, so I call it tzatziki and the hell with it otherwise.]

Last edited by RevDahlia; 07-22-2004 at 08:22 AM.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:50 AM
Admin

Quote:
Yup. Often some lemon juice too, but I figured that'd be redundant with all the lemon in the tabbouleh. (Gringo tabbouleh is usually pretty dry and mostly bulgur. I like mine very wet, green and sharp.) You can add garlic with no ill effects.
I always chopped the parsley by hand. But if it's automation you're after, have you tried a Zyliss chopper? I suspect that might do much better than the cuisinart.

Quote:
Oh, it is so, so good. I hate lamb unless it has got nice and charred and sticky over a real fire. Try leg of lamb cut into cubes, marinate it in lime or lemon juice and lots of garlic and olive oil and pepper flakes and maybe some cumin, and skewer it over a fierce fire until it is done but still pink in the middle... heaven.
That sounds so much better than the chicken breast I forgot in the GF until it was so dry I had to soak it with ketchup to make it tolerable, which was my dinner tonight. :P

Quote:
[Edit, for nitpicky purposes: I know that tzatziki is technically Greek, but variations on the theme abound all over the eastern Mediterranean... and my demi-countymen are all about dumping yogurt on everything. I forget what the Armenian and Lebanese variants are called, so I call it tzatziki and the hell with it otherwise.]
That's funny, 'cause I thought it was Greek, but hell I'm not Greek or Armenian so I decided to take your word for it. :)
Old 07-22-2004, 11:33 AM
Sachse ohne den blöden Dialekt

Location: Sydney, Australia. Ursprünglich Kurfürstentum Braunschweig-Lüneburg

I live alone and I'm lazy, so I usually keep it as simple as possible.

Himmel und Erde (Heaven and Earth)
4 medium potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 tart apples, sliced softened
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
4 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 medium onion, sliced
1 tablespoon butter or margarine, softened
Dash of ground nutmeg

Heat 1 inch salted water to boiling. Add potatoes, apples and sugar. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and cook until potatoes are tender, 10 to 15 minutes; drain.

Fry bacon until crisp; drain. Cook and stir onion in bacon fat until tender. Place potatoes and apples in serving bowl. Dot with butter; sprinkle with nutmeg. Top with onion and bacon.

I'm pleasantly stuffed.

Cheers,
BB2
Old 07-23-2004, 02:53 AM

Okay, my dinner was fairly simple tonight, although it was the first home-cooked dinner that I've had since I moved to Vermillion: steamed broccoli, a really small bacon wrapped steak, and a bottle of kick-ass orange-push-up flavored soda.

The cooking of the steak wasn't as smooth as I had hoped for. The fact that the fan above my stove wasn't working well so that my smoke alarm went off several times didn't help, either. :glare:

Anyways, the steaks are bacon wrapped, maybe about 3-3.5" diameter, but really thick (over 1" thick uncooked). I stuck it on the GF grill, until the top and bottom looked done. I cut into the side (through the bacon) and it looked a bit pinkish, but okay (I like my steak medium rare). So, I put it on the plate along with the broccoli and sat down..

Well, the center of the damn steak was red and still luke warm... :( Soooo...back on the GF grill it went. Of course, it was fairly mangled by this point, but it didn't take long to get fully cooked.

I can't even cook meat right on my first try. How fucking pathetic is that? Even though the steak was still kinda pink, I think I'll live through the experience.

Well,
Old 07-23-2004, 03:27 AM
Admin

Not pathetic at all! You have to get used to using the GF. You wanna hear pathetic? Yesterday I checked to see if my chicken breast was done by cutting it lengthwise. It wasn't, so i flopped the two uncooked sides back down on the GF, closed it and promptly forgot about it. Five minutes later, I had chicken jerky. :didi:
Old 07-23-2004, 03:29 AM

LOL! Well, at least I know that I can use the GF grill to make jerky if I need to.
Old 07-23-2004, 03:31 AM

Oh, I should add that each of these steaks has a small piece of wire stuck in them. What the fuck?! Is the Department of Homeland Security tapping my beef now?

Wow..."tapping the beef" sounds waaaaaay too much like a euphemism for anal sex.

Yes, I'm feeling loopy. Shut up. :P
Old 07-23-2004, 03:38 AM
Admin

:biglaugh: Okay you win the "You might be a homosexual if..." award of the day, 'cause while I definitely thought "euphemism for sex", that isn't exactly the sex that first popped in to my mind. :D
Old 07-23-2004, 03:40 AM
go fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goliath
(I like my steak medium rare).
Well, the center of the damn steak was red and still luke warm... :( Soooo...back on the GF grill it went.

I can't even cook meat right on my first try.
Hold on...
It sounds to me like you cooked it perfectly the first try! I always thought the definition of "medium rare" is warm red center?

Now you've got me wondering if I'm all washed up... what is medium rare and/or how do you like your steaks?

Oh and to get back on topic:
Dinner tonight was some chicken noodle soup I made this morning 'cuz my stomach has been acting up lately and had some rave or other wild party all night for no apparent reason.

chicken noodle soup ad hoc style:
pot of boiling water
some chicken buillion
1 onion cut in quarters
frozen corn
frozen peas
egg noodles

boil some more

add cooked chicken pieces (packaged from Trader Joe's)
can of unsalted tomato chunks
chinese snow peas

(yes, I would have had wildly different ingredients had I had anything else chicken soup appropriate in the house -- like carrots, there should be carrots!)

It tasted pretty good. :)
Old 07-23-2004, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pescifish
Hold on...
It sounds to me like you cooked it perfectly the first try! I have always thought the definition of "medium rare" is warm red center?
Actually, I thought it was warm pink center...? Anyways, the middle was too cool and too red for my tastes.

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Food & Drink