Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature

Old 11-03-2016, 10:07 PM
forever in search of dill pickle doritos

Default Re: Coulson Watches You While You Sleep

Just started re-watching Jessica Jones in anticipation of the second season. I totally forgot how powerful the ending to the first episode was... wow.
Old 11-04-2016, 02:53 AM
Tellifying

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherMan View Post
In the MMO world, City of Heroes most specifically, this is exactly EXACTLY what the Tanker does. He absorbs damage while he gathers the bad guys into a convenient location for them to get facestomped. I WAS DED. :gah:
Well said, my friend. Who also happens to be perhaps the best tanker in the business. I was often stunned by the amount of aggro you could hold.

Man, so many superhero movies, TV shows and super cool stuff. And every single one of them makes me miss Paragon City.
Old 11-04-2016, 04:40 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

:ffblush:
Old 11-05-2016, 09:53 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Doctor Strange

Was I hyped for this? No, I can't say that I was. Maybe a little eager to see it but not like hyped like it was Captain America or something. My bottom line, no spoilers or details: It was good. I mean, it was at the quality level I've come to expect from Marvel Studios. Benedict Cumberbatch did a good job, you know, like you'd expect him to do. I was kind of down on his casting. Mostly because I'm tired of seeing him in what feels like everything.

I can't comment on the progressive controversy casting of Tilda Swinton. She's one of those actors I'm happy to see in just about anything. And she's up to the task here. You know. Like you'd expect her to be.

Super very minor barely worth mentioning spoiler here: I'm also pleased to see that Chiwetel Ejiofor will be a continuing presence in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Speaking of that, the mid-credits teaser is barely worth mentioning. It's just setting up the concept for Thor's next work. The ending teaser is the one you want to wait for. That sets up the next Strange flick, which should be more interesting.

In other greater MCU news: There are only a couple of mentions of people or events outside of what happens in this movie. One is a "if you're not paying attention you could miss it" easter type eggs. The main one which you can't miss is a p big one.

But the real reason this movie is worth going to the big screen to see are the visuals. Absolutely trippy stuff. Colors and movement and space and keanu-esque "whoa." The trippiest parts of the matrix and i n c e p t i o n combined into one fun wee babby. Too bad, though, that even those visuals get shouted down with the comicbook action sequences.

Good movie. Worth seeing. But you don't have to race right out for it unless you want to or are a big Strange fan.
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (07-24-2017), Janet (11-08-2016), slimshady2357 (11-06-2016), Sock Puppet (11-07-2016), The Lone Ranger (11-06-2016), The Man (11-05-2016), Zehava (11-07-2016)
Old 11-07-2016, 04:44 PM
Captain #EmbraceTheImpossible

I also saw Doctor Strange over the weekend.

I was never a follower of the comic (Alpha Flight forever), but I knew who Doctor Strange was and his basic background.

That being said I think Mr. Cumberbatch did an excellent job of portraying Doctor Strange. I was fine with Tilda Swinton as the Ancient One. I completely agree on the visuals, crazy weird and psychedelic.

BrotherMan (11-07-2016), Janet (11-08-2016), slimshady2357 (11-09-2016), The Man (11-07-2016)
Old 11-08-2016, 11:12 PM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

I saw Doctor Strange yesterday. All I knew about the character was his look, the fact that he was Marvel's big magical superhero and that Mick and my brothers really liked him. I enjoyed the film. My favorite part was Mads Mikkelson's dry delivery of both "Mister Doctor" which made it into the trailer, and the line after it. I giggled at both.

I talked my sister Diane into joining my mom and I. I don't think she's ever gone to one of the Marvel movies with us before, or most superheroes at all, but she really liked it. I know because today she was looking up the actors and what the next film would be and IMing me about it. And she definitely wants to see Wonder Woman with us after seeing the trailer, so I think I may have a convert on my hands.

I guess I wasn't paying attention enough to get the Easter Egg. Please may I have a spoiler, Bort?
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (11-09-2016), slimshady2357 (11-09-2016), The Man (11-08-2016)
Old 11-09-2016, 12:44 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

I didn't get the Wonder Woman trailer. NOT HAPPY.

Thanks, from:
Janet (11-09-2016), The Man (11-09-2016)
Old 11-09-2016, 12:54 AM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

Oh, I did twig to that at the time, but didn't remember seeing the cause.
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (11-09-2016)
Old 02-07-2017, 02:17 AM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

Apparently this is the type of idiocy being published in Captain America right now...

Thanks, from:
Janet (02-08-2017), Sock Puppet (02-07-2017), The Man (02-07-2017)
Old 02-07-2017, 03:16 AM
Just keep m'nose clean, egg, chips & beans, I'm always full of steam

:projectilevomit:

:sockpuppet:...........
Thanks, from:
erimir (02-07-2017), The Man (02-07-2017)
Old 02-07-2017, 05:47 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

I can't make that okay because I am def not on board with Captain HydrAmerica.
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (07-24-2017), The Man (02-07-2017)
Old 02-08-2017, 05:05 AM

Quote:
I can't make that okay because I am def not on board with Captain HydrAmerica.
I've got bad news, that's from Sam Wilson Captain America, not Captain Hydra.

Although, actually, I think there might some seed of a satirical comic that isn't totally stupid based on those three. The notion that the "PC police" are oppressing people is pretty stupid. So maybe they could make an actual PC police superhero team... except they just say critical things to right-wingers and their grenades like, just have glitter in them or something. And then the right-wingers have to cower in the homes because they're afraid of people saying mean things to them (which is so unfair! but also people should just stop being so sensitive).
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (07-24-2017), BrotherMan (02-08-2017), Janet (02-11-2017), Sock Puppet (02-09-2017), The Man (02-08-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 05:27 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

He's not technically part of the MCU (yet. YET, DAMMIT), but this DOOM cosplay tho.

Thanks, from:
slimshady2357 (02-23-2017), The Man (02-23-2017), Zehava (02-23-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 07:57 AM

:buggin: That is awesome.

To mention another Fox owned Marvel-but-not-in-the-MCU thing, has anyone been watching Legion?

I've seen the first two episodes and I'm enjoying them. They have a different feel to anything else so far, very surreal and told with an unreliable narrative. The first episode was somewhat slow and frustrating, but of course they often are as so much exposition is needed to get the show going. But it gets moving nicely by the second half and then the second episode really picks up pace. I'm already looking forward to it each week.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:11 PM

That Doom cosplay is fantastic, so much better than anything we have seen on the big screen so far.

Slim,

Yes I have been watching Legion as well. I missed the first episode but the last couple have been very good.
slimshady2357 (02-23-2017), The Man (02-24-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 05:41 PM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

Conservatives have been getting their panties in a bunch about Captain America recently.

So, Cap (Sam) has been fighting against racist, anti-immigrant bigots who are trying to murder undocumented immigrants.

Some Conservatives respond that this is thinly-veiled anti-Conservative politics. So let me get this straight: You think that saying "It's wrong to murder poor, desperate people of color who are only trying to find work" is "anti-Conservative bias."

Wow. Way to reinforce the very stereotypes you claim to find offensive.

Some are complaining that Captain America, given his name, should be defending and upholding Conservative values.

Which demonstrates that they've clearly never read a Captain America comic (at least, not one written by anyone other than Mark Millar), nor paid much attention to the MCU movies, either.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (02-24-2017), Sock Puppet (02-24-2017), The Man (02-24-2017), Zehava (02-23-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 04:48 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

I back recorded the first of the Legion series and have the second episode sitting on the DVR. I probably should try harder to remember to set it to record the series.

I thought the first episode was bonkers in p much all the right ways. I thought it set a great tone leaving the viewer wondering what was real and what wasn't - if any of it was. I don't know how they could continue that in an on-going series, but I'm willing to give it a look anyway.

The only off putting done in the first episode was the ending action sequence. After all of that careful, thoughtful and intriguing set up all that nonsense happened and it just threw me off a bit is all.
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (07-24-2017), The Man (02-24-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 05:22 AM

I thought the first episode was a little too slow.

But I am still intrigued for the third episode.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (02-24-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 05:48 PM

We almost saw Guardians 2 on Sunday, but we didn't book the tickets ahead and when we got to the theatre at 3pm every showing was sold out, both 2D and 3D. That was something like 10 different times all booked solid. :darn:

I mean jeez, it had been out for a couple days already, we didn't think it would be that popular.

Anyway, now I'll have to just wait and see what you :ff: peeps think when you see it this week. I don't think I'll get another chance to see it for a while, so I will be totally jealous and sulk over here in the corner. :pout:
Old 05-08-2017, 01:29 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 was p good. Don't go in expecting a "come out of nowhere and be amazing" thing like the first time - it's not like that. More like an "if you enjoyed the characters and their antics the first time, you should have no problem enjoying this." Despite the saving of the galaxy (again), it's oddly enough a more intimate story. It's all about family. Kinda like that Very Special Episode of, say, the Fresh Prince.

It's good. It's fun. Not in any niche altering way like the first one.

If you really have to pee or something, none of the during and post credit teasers are must see. And there are a few of them sprinkled through the credits as they roll.

This next part has nothing to do with Marvel or any of its universes. It's a rant. Or more of an angry statement.

Dear WBDC. What the fuck is wrong with you? You do realize that Wonder Woman opens in a couple of weeks, right? Why the fuck are you advertising for the Justice Leage and not WW? You do realize that the Guardians audience is the exact audience are the kind of people you want to see Wonder Woman, right? I mean, I'd lay dollars to dognuts that a lot of them are going to see it anyway. Point of fact here, the only "advertisement" I've been seeing in regards to the soon to be released WW are all of the articles wondering where the media blitz and product tie ins are.
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (07-24-2017), slimshady2357 (05-08-2017), Sock Puppet (05-08-2017), The Lone Ranger (05-08-2017), The Man (05-08-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 01:48 AM
Dr. Jerome Corsi-Soetoro, Ph.D., Esq.

Quote:
come out of nowhere and be amazing" thing like the first time - i

Eeally? Its a fun film, but would watch raiders again before this.
Old 05-08-2017, 01:49 AM
Dr. Jerome Corsi-Soetoro, Ph.D., Esq.

Quote:
Why the fuck are you advertising for the Justice Leage and not WW?
Patriarchy, they are sending millions to prove women are not worthy.
Old 05-08-2017, 01:28 PM

I saw Guardians vol 2 on Friday after work. It was good, not as good as the first, but still worth the matinee admission price.

I think the choice of villain was off. While die hard Marvel fans will know who Ego is, I doubt he is well known outside that circle. It would have been more interesting if instead of Ego, they had used an actual rogue Celestial rather than Ego. The Celestial concept was already introduced in volume 1.

Young CGI Kurt Russel was way off, his head was freaking HUGE.

I did like the homage to how the Fantastic Four fights Ego .

There were several other small references:

Starhawk
Martinex -- the crystalline guy following Starhawk
Charlie-27 -- one of the Ravagers shown during Yondu's funeral

I agree with Bort on what the hell is WB/DC doing? While Justice League does look pretty good, it is a LONG way off yet. Wonder Woman is right around the corner and there is essentially NO promotion of the movie. I want to see Wonder Woman, especially after being surprised at how well Gal Gadot played the role in the shit fest that was BvS.

Last edited by Zehava; 05-08-2017 at 01:50 PM.
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (07-24-2017), BrotherMan (05-08-2017), slimshady2357 (05-08-2017), Sock Puppet (05-08-2017), The Lone Ranger (05-08-2017), The Man (05-08-2017)
Old 07-12-2017, 06:08 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Feeling sad because Sony sent Sam Raimi's Sider-Man over the bend? Kinda ambivalent or even a little mad about the first reboot Spider-Man that was just awful? Don't know how to feel about the second reboot even though, or maybe especially because - it's still partially owned by Sony? Think that cameo in Civil War was just a fluke?

Have I got news for you.

Here's what you need to know: It wasn't a fluke. Marvel's MCU side of this co-ownership of the Spider-Man is everything the cameo was. And then a little more.

Here's what's to like: It's an introduction but not an origin. Somebody realized that for some well known properties we don't need to see that shit again and again and again to get it. Tom Holland is great as Peter and as Spider-Man, and really great when he has to be both.

Michael Keaton's Vulture is one of the best realized villains of the MCU. Full stop. From his origins through his character arc, it's believable. (Given certain givens of it being a comic universe.)

The more nitpickty stuff I didn't like: More Aunt May, less Tony Stark. Kinda like how Sally Field was criminally overused, Marisa Tomei was underused. And I'm still coming to grips with how much starkness is caught up with Spider-Man. I like that there's a relationship there, but not so much of Tony's domineering tech is so closely tied to the Spider-Man. And also Tony is just a terrible mentor.

But the overall is that Spider-Man Homecoming is a Spider-Man movie Spider-Man fans can be happy with.
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (07-24-2017), Ensign Steve (07-18-2017), Kyuss Apollo (07-12-2017), slimshady2357 (07-13-2017), The Man (07-12-2017)
Old 07-12-2017, 08:21 PM
happy now, Mussolini?

:yeahthat:

Thanks, from:
beyelzu (07-24-2017), BrotherMan (07-12-2017)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature