Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law

Old 01-11-2024, 09:49 AM
Admin

Default UN ICJ Live - Genocide in Gaza

The International Court of Justice (ICJ), known colloquially as "The Hague", is currently live (January 11th, 9:30 UTC) hearing an application for indication of provisional matters introduced by South Africa, accusing the nation of Israel of genocide in Gaza and requesting that the court order Israel to stop military operations and lift the blockade on food, medicine, etc. on the Palestinians in Gaza.

Earlier thread on this topic.
Thanks, from:
Ari (01-11-2024), Crumb (01-11-2024), JoeP (01-12-2024), LarsMac (01-12-2024), Pan Narrans (01-12-2024), slimshady2357 (01-11-2024), Sock Puppet (01-11-2024)
Old 01-11-2024, 02:45 PM
Admin

Default Re: UN ICJ Live - Genocide in Gaza

Here is the recording for anyone who missed it. Israel will offer its defense of the indefensible tomorrow. I won't be waking up at 4:00 AM to watch it live as I did today, but I will watch it.
Thanks, from:
LarsMac (01-12-2024), slimshady2357 (01-11-2024)
Old 01-11-2024, 03:40 PM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscousmemories View Post
defense of the indefensible tomorrow.
Look, Hamas wears white and moves, it was a clear sign of being a terr... oh wait, different charges, nevermind.
Old 01-11-2024, 04:01 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

Quote:
South Africa, accusing the nation of Israel of genocide
[insert Will Ferrell crazy pills gif here]

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Old 01-12-2024, 02:05 AM
Admin

Are you saying it's the pot calling the kettle... I mean calling a spade... Jesus is there a non-racist adage I can use here?
Thanks, from:
JoeP (01-12-2024), Stephen Maturin (01-12-2024)
Old 01-12-2024, 08:44 AM
Solipsist

I have read everything current about this and researched all the background.

I mean I have imagined doing that.

I'm pretty sure elements of the following have some truth:
  • South Africa: We know a thing or two about this, from our history.
  • South Africa: We've changed. We're the Rainbow nation.
  • So people will listen to us.
  • China and/or Russia have, behind the scenes, supported or actively pushed for this, because pressure on Israel = pressure on America.
  • Lots of other countries have, behind the scenes, supported South Africa on this, because it's true.

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
Ari (01-12-2024), Ensign Steve (01-12-2024), fragment (01-12-2024), LarsMac (01-12-2024), mickthinks (01-12-2024), Qingdai (03-07-2024), slimshady2357 (01-12-2024), Stephen Maturin (01-12-2024), viscousmemories (01-12-2024)
Old 01-12-2024, 04:47 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscousmemories View Post
Are you saying it's the pot calling the kettle... I mean calling a spade... Jesus is there a non-racist adage I can use here?
:laugh:

I was gonna say yes, but no, not really, because South Africa isn't really a "pot" anymore. So what I was really saying was, "I am old as fuck, and am amazed in some of the ways in which the world has changed."

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

Thanks, from:
Crumb (01-12-2024), JoeP (01-12-2024), LarsMac (01-12-2024), viscousmemories (01-13-2024)
Old 01-13-2024, 01:04 PM
Admin

I haven't yet watched the Israeli defense and I probably won't. Every summary I have seen says they didn't present any new evidence, spent a large amount of time slandering South Africa, and doubled down on all their propaganda talking points, including some that were debunked almost immediately when they were first pitched. This is consistent with what I expected, so I don't think it would be a good use of my time to watch it. If the ICJ finds in their favor I might go back to see if there was some bombshell defense I haven't heard about, but I suspect there wasn't. I did see a few clips though, and I admit I enjoyed it when one of the lawyers' arguments was cut short mid-thought because "someone shuffled his papers".

Oh, I also heard that the US mainstream media broadcast the Israeli response live but not day one, when South Africa made their case. I don't watch the US mainstream media so I can't confirm, but this also meets my expectations.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (01-14-2024), JoeP (01-13-2024), Kamilah Hauptmann (01-13-2024), LarsMac (01-13-2024), slimshady2357 (01-14-2024), Stephen Maturin (01-13-2024)
Old 01-13-2024, 07:24 PM
angry white woman

I think you, vm, are a terrorist sympathizer. That you do not fully understand that in our comfy life, we can actually know what is talking place over there. And that over there, you probably have no choice but to take a side. Here, in our arrogant academia wisdom, we don’t have to choose sides, unless it’s on the side of the adversary.

You’re old enough to remember 911. Obviously, it had the effect on you as much as it did the 19 year old in Target who was checking me out at the time that “I done carr wha happenin thay, it Ain’t got nuthin to do wit me”
Old 01-13-2024, 07:29 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shelby View Post
I think you, vm, are a terrorist sympathizer. That you do not fully understand that in our comfy life, we can actually know what is talking place over there. And that over there, you probably have no choice but to take a side. Here, in our arrogant academia wisdom, we don’t have to choose sides, unless it’s on the side of the adversary.

You’re old enough to remember 911. Obviously, it had the effect on you as much as it did the 19 year old in Target who was checking me out at the time that “I done carr wha happenin thay, it Ain’t got nuthin to do wit me”
Just idly surfing the net, happened to hit here, skimmed the forum list, saw this thread title and the name Miss Shelby listed as the latest response, thought me to myself, “Heh, I wonder what really stupid thing she said now?”

Now I know. :yup:
Thanks, from:
JoeP (01-13-2024), Qingdai (03-07-2024)
Old 01-13-2024, 07:32 PM
angry white woman

Yeah I figured when I saw your screen name at the bottom of the thread it would be a big random nothing sandwich. And I was right.
Old 01-13-2024, 07:37 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
Yeah I figured when I saw your screen name at the bottom of the thread it would be a big random nothing sandwich. And I was right.
Is VM also an anti-Semite and a Marxist, a libtard, and an America-hating degenerate poop head?

Or are you just a total dumbass?

I wonder which is more likely to be true? :chin:
Old 01-13-2024, 07:41 PM
angry white woman

Vm is actively siding with people who are taking a terrorist approach. Aside from that, I know nothing of the man, other than what he’s shared in the atrium.
Old 01-13-2024, 08:00 PM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

VM seems to be siding with the concept of Israel as the long term occupying force of land that doesn't belong to them. I don't see him siding with either terrorist group when it comes to how the fight is playing out.
Thanks, from:
Qingdai (03-07-2024)
Old 01-13-2024, 09:21 PM
Rambling Old Fart

Quote:

So, if we refuse to stand, shoulder-to-shoulder with the Occupying forces, we are terrorist sympathizers?
Old 01-13-2024, 09:35 PM
Solipsist

Quote:
I think you, vm, are a terrorist sympathizer.
You forgot anti-Semitic. Everyone who even questions the right of Israel to do whatever it wants is an anti-Semite as well as a terrorist sympathiser.

This is pretty weak even for you.

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
Qingdai (03-07-2024)
Old 01-13-2024, 09:50 PM
Admin

How is it that I've been outspoken in support of the Palestinian people for some time now and the first sincere (?) accusation of being a "terrorist sympathizer" comes from that account doing her best impression of a love-child of Fox News and Tourette's?
Thanks, from:
JoeP (01-14-2024)
Old 01-13-2024, 10:21 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
Vm is actively siding with people who are taking a terrorist approach. Aside from that, I know nothing of the man, other than what he’s shared in the atrium.
Here’s a summary of all the people that have died in Gaza in Israel’s latest war crime.

Would you like to explain how all these dead people, a great many of whom are children and even infants who died in obliterated hospitals, people who had absolutely nothing to do with Oct. 7 Hamas attack and have been living in poverty and misery their whole lives because of the actions of Israel, are guilty of “taking a terrorist approach”?

But no, Faux News just told you some shit, and you nod your head up and down like a bobble head doll with a broken spring.
Thanks, from:
JoeP (01-14-2024)
Old 01-13-2024, 11:00 PM
angry white woman

Faux news? Where have you been? 2008? The source you used? Real unbiased.
Old 01-13-2024, 11:19 PM
angry white woman

I did read it. And I I do think it’s unfortunate/tragic that it’s happening. That is why it’s up to us individually to help.
Old 01-25-2024, 12:40 AM
Admin

Quote:
THE HAGUE, 24 January 2024. On Friday 26 January 2024, the International Court of Justice will deliver its Order on the Request for the indication of provisional measures submitted by South Africa in the case concerning Application of the Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide in the Gaza Strip (South Africa v. Israel). A public sitting will take place at 1 p.m. [7:00AM EST] at the Peace Palace in The Hague, during which Judge Joan E. Donoghue, the President of the Court, will read the Court’s Order.
https://www.icj-cij.org/sites/defaul...e-01-00-en.pdf
Thanks, from:
Ari (01-25-2024), fragment (01-25-2024), JoeP (01-25-2024), LarsMac (01-25-2024), mickthinks (01-25-2024), slimshady2357 (01-26-2024), Sock Puppet (01-25-2024), Stephen Maturin (01-26-2024)
Old 01-26-2024, 01:08 PM
Admin

Quote:
Here’s a quick recap of the ICJ ruling
  • The court says it has jurisdiction to rule in the case.
  • The court orders Israel to take measures to prevent acts of genocide in the Gaza Strip, must report back in one month.
  • The court says Israel must prevent and punish incitement to genocide in the Strip.
  • The court says Israel must allow humanitarian aid into the Strip.
  • The court obliges Israel to take more measures to protect Palestinians but does not order it to end military operations in the Strip.
- source Aljazeera
I think the court was wrong to stop short of ordering a ceasefire, but so much for Blinken's ridiculous claim that the accusation was "meritless".
Thanks, from:
Ari (01-26-2024), Crumb (01-26-2024), fragment (01-26-2024), JoeP (01-26-2024), LarsMac (01-26-2024), Qingdai (03-07-2024), slimshady2357 (01-26-2024), Sock Puppet (01-26-2024), Stephen Maturin (01-26-2024)
Old 01-26-2024, 09:09 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

There's something for everyone to get upset about in that decision.

Thanks, from:
But (01-26-2024), erimir (01-30-2024), viscousmemories (01-27-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 09:32 PM
Admin

South Africa today petitioned the Hague for a second time since the January 26th ruling, again asking the court to indicate new provisional measures. Their last request (in mid-February) was declined. In the interim, Israel submitted the required report to the court about all the stuff they have supposedly done to lessen the humanitarian crisis in Gaza, but the report wasn't made public and the court has made no statement about whether it was sufficient.

Quote:
THE HAGUE, 6 March 2024. South Africa today filed an urgent request with the Court for the indication of additional provisional measures and the modification of the Court’s Order of 26 January 2024 and decision of 16 February 2024 in the case concerning Application of the Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide in the Gaza Strip (South Africa v. Israel).

In its new request, South Africa states that it is “compelled to return to the Court in light of the new facts and changes in the situation in Gaza — particularly the situation of widespread starvation — brought about by the continuing egregious breaches of the Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide . . . by the State of Israel . . . and its ongoing manifest violations of the provisional measures indicated by this Court on 26 January 2024”. It requests the Court to indicate further provisional measures and/or to modify the provisional measures indicated it its Order of 26 January 2024, pursuant to Article 41 of the Statute of the Court and Article 75, paragraphs 1 and 3, and Article 76, paragraph 1, of the Rules of Court, respectively, “in order urgently to ensure the safety and security of 2.3 million Palestinians in Gaza, including over a million children”. It urges the Court to do so without holding a hearing, in light of the “extreme urgency of the situation”.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (03-06-2024), JoeP (03-07-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 09:40 PM
Admin

Josh Paul, former director in the Bureau of Political-Military Affairs at the State Department who resigned in protest of the Biden admin's policy of unconditional military aid to Israel, wrote this about the recent air drops:

Quote:
Airdrops into conflict zones are complex, costly and often dangerous operations that logisticians and military planners view as a final option to be pursued only after all diplomatic efforts to facilitate aid delivery have failed. In 1993, for instance, when Serbian general Ratko Mladic refused to let U.N. food trucks reach the besieged civilians of Sarajevo and Srebrenica (war crimes for which Mladic was later sentenced to life in prison), the United States and its allies turned to airdrops to stave off the imminent threat of starvation. That operation, in Bosnia, is just one of several occasions in the postwar era in which the U.S. has conducted airdrops into conflict zones to overcome obstacles placed by an adversary. But I am not aware of any previous instance in which the U.S. has resorted to airdrops to overcome obstacles placed by an ally.

Today it is Gaza that is starving, and any assistance that can be delivered is certainly welcome. But there is no number of airdropped pallets that can come close to the relief that Gaza needs most: an end to Israel's bombardment and an end to Israel's siege. Given that the bombardment in question is being conducted with American weapons paid for by American dollars, the U.S. has immense leverage to push Israel to agree to a cease-fire and open wide the gates of Gaza so humanitarian assistance can flow in. Instead, President Biden has opted for an approach that, far from confronting Israel, avoids even any mention of its role and responsibilities as the occupying force. The fact that he has found it easier to deploy the U.S. military than to stand up to Netanyahu demonstrates the absolutely craven nature of this administration's relationship with Israel. In Sarajevo, we turned to airdrops because our adversaries would not answer. In Gaza, we turn to airdrops because we're not even willing to ask.
From: U.S. Aid Airdrops in Gaza: ‘A Tacit Nod to a Massacre. A Diversionary Charade.’ - DAWN
Thanks, from:
Crumb (03-06-2024), mickthinks (03-06-2024)

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law