Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Food & Drink

Old 12-24-2012, 01:26 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Law Re: Stupid Baking and Sometimes Leftovers are Better

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year!

My friend and roommate came home early from work the other day all super excited. One of the bosses gave everbody their very own frozen whole chicken as a happy holidays present. Let me tell you folk, it was a beaut.

But here is where we ran into our first obstacle. Neither one of has ever cooked a whole chicken. Me because I'm a big fat wuss and only ever baked breasts. He's only ever fried legs or wings. But a whole chicken? It's unprecedented. But I was not completely without recourse. I asked and was delivered this recipe from a helpful and invaluable ally:

YUMSlow-Roasted Chicken

Larger chickens will obviously require longer roasting time. I suggest adding five minutes of cooking time at 375:degrees: for every additional quarter pound of weight over three and one-half pounds (a four-pound bird, for example, would roast for a total of forty minutes at 375:degrees:). If the bird is still not cooked after fifteen minutes at 400 degrees, keep the bird in the oven until the thigh meat comes up to temperature. Do not stuff or truss a slow-roasted chicken.

1 whole chicken (about 3 to 3 1/2 pounds), giblets removed and reserved for another use, chicken rinsed and patted dry with paper towels
2 tablespoons unsalted butter , melted
vegetable oil for brushing rack

1. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Brush chicken with butter and sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper.

2. Place chicken, breast side up, on oiled rack set in shallow roasting pan. Roast 30 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 200 degrees. Roast 1 hour. Increase temperature to 400 degrees and roast until instant-read thermometer inserted in thigh registers 170 to 175 degrees, about 15 minutes longer. Transfer chicken to cutting board; let rest 20 minutes. Carve and serve.

And now I will regale you with the hilarity. We are such noobs at this that we didn't even have a rack upon which to bake our whole chicken! There was even some contention on whether or not we needed a rack. I, being at least not totally ignorant, insisted there be one lest the consequences be intolerable. I won the discussion but mostly for insisting we follow the recipe precisely and not because the chicken would have been an ugly goopy mess otherwise.

Now, you'll notice that the recipe has some very difficult and hard maths hiding away inside. As I was familiarizing myself with the recipe I note that it asks for a 3 or 3 and one-half pound chicken and anything more requires a degree in algebra. Fortunately for me, I'm no Malibu Stacy, and though math can throw a curve ball sometimes, I was able to overcome. For you see, I guessed that our chicken was much larger than a peonic 3 or 3 and one-half pounds. Based on the outcome, which I'm getting to hold your horses, I guessed rightly at 5 pounds.

We made some deviations from the set recipe otherwise but it all came out alright. We substituted olive oil for butter and added some cayenne and chipotle spices to the mix.

Now, I know that nothing gives a golden crisp skin like butter, but the olive oil worked just fine. Here she is just after stage two, looking good enough to eat already.

And, finally, after everything is cooked and done, our first whole baked chicken, resting before the carnage begins.

I have to say, despite not being more spiced it was tasty and juicy. I'll take responsibility and not lay this at the feet of my invaluable and helpful ally for not sending me more flavor tips before we started cooking. But we'll know better for next time - should there be a next time.

A better story for this was the one side we served for this: Mashed sweet potatoes. Fortunately for all involved I was more part of the process this time because I was documenting the process for this poast, otherwise the sweet taters would have been just PLAIN. My roommate lamented that they weren't very flavorful. I don't know what all he added. Now, before you think ill of my dear friend, let me tell you he's usually very good at extemporaneous cooking. (More on that later.)

But surely I figured it was not beyond saving. So I :unrunrudolph: to the internets and looked through Pioneer Woman's various and sundry tasties. After reading the necessaries, I knew what I could do. I COULD SAVE POTATOES. I added some on hand things: pecans, brown sugar and a touch of vanilla extract. I was very proud of myself because that totally saved the potatoes.

BORT, THE POTATO SAVIOR!

And now, fellow :ff:ers, the final chapter in our grand whole chicken adventure: The Leftovers.

There wasn't much left over, to be honest. There was about half a breast remainder, plus random carcass stuff and the juice from the cooking of the chicken. My roommate took all of that and made an excellent soup-like dinner, including rice noodles, brocolli, tomatoes, and I don't know what other fixings were in the fridge. The roasted chicken flavor was heartier in flavor than pan fried which we would normally have used.
Thanks, from:
Anastasia Beaverhausen (12-24-2012), Demimonde (12-24-2012), LadyShea (12-24-2012), lisarea (12-24-2012), livius drusus (12-24-2012), SharonDee (12-25-2012), Sock Puppet (12-26-2012), Watser? (12-24-2012)
Old 12-24-2012, 01:49 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Default Re: Stupid Baking

I made pink grapefruit bread last night. So yummeh, like eating sunshine
Thanks, from:
Demimonde (12-24-2012), lisarea (12-24-2012)
Old 01-29-2013, 05:23 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

I have a group baking project!

So, I made some marmalades to copy Lady Shea because she thought she was all better than me and it was important that I put her in her place. But then, I'm the only person in the world who likes marmalade plain because everyone else is a ridiculous infant, so I'm like OK THEN, CAKE. Then, I made a li'l flat butter and marmalade cake, which was good, but then, I was like, wait! Chocolate marmalade cake!

And not flat, so I made a rised kind, but it was too dry and crumbly. So I added more oil, so now it is basically this:

1 1/4 c. flour
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
2/3 c. sugar
2 eggs
2 oz. baking chocolate
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 c. butter
about 1/4 c. vegetable oil
the correct amount of marmalade

Combine the dry ingredients, melt the butter and chocolate, then add that plus the other wet ingredients (except the marmalade) to the dry and mix it thoroughly, then add the marmalade and mix a little less thoroughly, then bake at 350F in a greased cake pan for about 35 minutes.

(Note that I live at about a mile above sea level, and I forget how to adjust cooking for low elevations, so something might be different but I don't know what. Ha ha! Your problem!)

It's still just a little bit dry, though, despite all the oil and stuff, so that's where you guys come in and fix it for me because I'm tired of making a thousand cakes every minute, and I really don't know very much about how to bake. It tastes just about exactly right, but it's still a little too dry and crumbly. The batter is pretty dry and lumpy, like the consistency of brownie batter about.

Should I put in more oil and/or butter? Maybe milk? Is there something else I'm doing wrong?
Thanks, from:
Janet (01-30-2013), LadyShea (01-29-2013), livius drusus (01-29-2013)
Old 01-29-2013, 05:40 PM
Dogehlaugher -Scrutari

Eggs?
lisarea (01-29-2013)
Old 01-29-2013, 06:00 PM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

Buttermilk is always a nice touch, especially with chocolate products.
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (01-29-2013), lisarea (01-29-2013)
Old 01-29-2013, 06:34 PM

I like marmalade plain!

Sorry can't help with cake. Cake stuff comes in a box and you add eggs to it.

Anyway, in my reading around the web, most cakes have milk and you have none. You can sub mayo or sour cream. Buttermilk like liv said would be nice I am sure
Thanks, from:
Janet (01-30-2013), lisarea (01-29-2013)
Old 01-29-2013, 06:35 PM

Should I try it with three eggs? It just seems like so much for such a little cake.

I would try buttermilk, except that it's a special trip ingredient, and I'd just end up throwing out the rest because it is buttermilk. Maybe up the butter to a cup, plus a little bit of milk? Would that do it?
Old 01-29-2013, 06:38 PM
Dogehlaugher -Scrutari

One egg, to start. Most cake recipes call for one egg.
lisarea (01-29-2013)
Old 01-29-2013, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
Should I try it with three eggs? It just seems like so much for such a little cake.

I would try buttermilk, except that it's a special trip ingredient, and I'd just end up throwing out the rest because it is buttermilk. Maybe up the butter to a cup, plus a little bit of milk? Would that do it?
A tablespoon of lemon juice in 1.5 cup of milk. Let stand a few mins = buttermilk for baking purposes. I never buy buttermilk because I use it only for soda bread and biscuits
Thanks, from:
lisarea (01-29-2013), livius drusus (01-29-2013)
Old 01-29-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qingdai View Post
One egg, to start. Most cake recipes call for one egg.
It already has two, though.

I start out cakes with a basic batter, and just adjust that to accommodate different things, so that I can just do it really fast, because if I can't do it really fast, I'm probably not going to do it.

My default cake base is the eggs, sugar, flour, and butter, and I can make that in like two minutes, so I try to start out with that for everything, but it's not translating as neatly to a leavened cake as I'd hoped.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:29 PM

Try with some milk to start. I think that's a really normal thing to put in a cake
Old 02-28-2013, 07:47 PM

Oh, hey, remember the chocolate marmalade cake project you guys have all been working on because I told you to and, of course, out of a sincere concern for the well being of my cakes?

I just did. Here is what I have now, and I think it's about right. I tried adjusting the proportions to some standard cake formula, but they are so far off that it is crazy. Still a tiny bit crumbly, but I think using cake flour instead of AP should be enough to fix that. A main thing is that I want to make sure it's still easy, and that it uses standard pantry ingredients, but I should have cake flour around anyway, so I guess that would be OK.

1 1/4 c. flour
2 1/2 t. baking powder
dash of salt
2/3 c. sugar
1/3 to 3/4 c. cocoa powder
2 beaten eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 c. melted butter
1/2 or so cups of milk, enough to make it look like regular cake batter
An amount of marmalade

Combine the dry ingredients, then add the wet ingredients and beat thoroughly. Add the marmalade last, and transfer to a greased cake or pie pan, then bake at 350F for about 40 minutes.
Thanks, from:
curses (02-28-2013), livius drusus (02-28-2013)
Old 03-02-2013, 11:13 PM
ne plus ultraviolet

Making bagels in Brooklyn circa 1979.

Thanks, from:
curses (03-03-2013), Janet (03-05-2013), livius drusus (03-02-2013), Qingdai (03-02-2013)
Old 03-03-2013, 12:43 AM
Coffin Creep

Can curses tell us what sort of horrible filter one could use to make everything look like it was shot in the 70s for a short subject? Maybe for bagels or industrial safety?
Old 03-03-2013, 03:02 AM
Coffee, tea, anti-Nazi

Curses can indeed. Instagram does it. It's hip to have photos that look like they were taken 2 decades before you were born. /old and bitter
Janet (03-05-2013), Ymir's blood (03-03-2013)
Old 03-05-2013, 08:24 PM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

At first I read that as 2 decades before you were old and bitter and I was going to protest that I was born that way.
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (07-14-2013), curses (03-05-2013), lisarea (03-05-2013), livius drusus (03-05-2013), Qingdai (03-06-2013), Ymir's blood (03-07-2013)
Old 03-06-2013, 12:23 AM
Dogehlaugher -Scrutari

Thanks to Chunks I'm now dreaming about baking bagels. Sadly there isn't a decent bagel place in ALL OF OREGON.

Now I'm just grumpy.
chunksmediocrites (03-06-2013)
Old 03-09-2013, 01:29 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

I just got my mind blowned by something I read today. Nearly everything I've ever cooked has come from following a specific recipe. Now, I'm just a simple bort and naively thought that recipe applied only to that specific application. Even from large voluminous cookbooks I'd probably miss making a connection across similar recipes or types of foods. But right here someone laid something out in a way that clicked in my brain.

A plug and play recipe template, y'all. This one for fish.

One Billion Baked Fish Recipes
I call this a recipe template. It is a spreadsheet but shown below in text outline format.

Baked Fish – More than a Billion Recipes (5x12x3x12x11x12x5x12x12x6=1,231,718,400)

Container (choose 1 of 5)
* Au Gratin Pan
* Baking Dish
* Foil
* Parchment
* Single Serve
Fish (choose 1 of 12), guideline 1 pound
* Bass/Branzino
* Cod
* Dorado/Mahi Mahi
* Grouper
* Halibut
* Roughy
* Salmon
* Scallops
* Shrimp
* Snapper
* Sole/Flounder
* Tuna
Fat (choose 1-2 of 3), guideline 2-4 Tbsp
* Butter
* Olive Oil
* Mayo
Liquid (choose 2-3 of 12), guideline 1/2 Cup
* Lemon Juice
* Lime Juice
* White Wine
* Sherry
* Balsamic Vin
* Milk/Cream
* Soy Sauce
* Fish Sauce
* Rice Vinegar
* Mirin
* Sesame Oil
* Teriyaki Sauce
Extras (choose 0-3 0f 11), guideline <1/4 Cup
* Onion
* Garlic
* Ginger
* Green Onion
* Bacon Bits
* Capers
* Jalapeño
* Olives
* Marmalade
* Shallots
* Sugar/Honey
Fruit/Veg (choose 0-2 of 12), guideline - not too much
* Tomato
* Mushrooms
* Bell Pepper
* Mango
* Pineapple
* Cajun Trinity
* Creole Mix
* Parsley/Cilantro
* Pesto
* Salsa(Red/Green)
* Sambal
* Tabasco
Cheese (choose 0-1 of 5), guideline 1/4-1/2 Cup
* Parmesan
* Romano
* Jack
* Cheddar
* Feta
Spices/Herbs (choose 2-3 of 12), guideline 1/2 tsp each
* Salt & Pepper
* Basil
* Cayenne
* Cilantro/Coriander
* Cumin
* Garlic Powder
* Mustard(Dry/Wet)
* Oregano
* Paprika
* Red Chile Flakes
* Thyme
* Wasabi
Crust (choose 0-1 of 12), guideline <1 Cup
* Coconut
* Corn Flakes
* Cornmeal
* Flour/Egg Batter
* Panko/Bread Cr
* Almonds
* Cashews
* Macadamia
* Pine Nuts
* Pistachios
* Sesame Seeds
* Walnuts
Oven Setting (choose 1 of 6), guideline Hotter=Crispier
* 325º 30-40 min
* 350º 20-30 min
* 375º 15-20 min
* 400º 10-15 min
* 450º 8-10 min
* 500º 5-8 min

Also, here's one for soup that, even though this is the Stupid Baking thrad, I knew :ff: would like to know about.

Big Soupin
This is the first one. I'm sure you can find chili, borscht, beef stew and lots of other favorite soups and stews in there.
I have a couple others not ready for prime time.

Soup Template
Meat (choose 1-2 of 8), guideline 1 Lb, Brown 2 min
* Beef
* Chicken
* Cheese
* Lamb
* Mushrooms
* Peanuts
* Pork
* Turkey
Aromatics (choose 3-4 of 8), guideline 3 Cups, Sweat 2 min
* Bell Pepper
* Carrot
* Celery
* Garlic
* Jalapeno
* Leek
* Onion
* Scallion
Vegetables (choose 2-3 of 9), guideline 3 Cups, Sauté 3 min
* Beets
* Cabbage
* Chard/Kale
* Corn/Peas
* Green Beans
* Spinach/Greens
* Sprouts
* Tomatoes
* Zucchini/Squash
Liquid (choose 2-3 of 8), guideline 4-8 Cups, Bring to Boil
* Bouillon Cubes/Powder
* Beef Stock/Broth
* Coconut Milk
* Chicken Stock/Broth
* Milk/Cream
* Tomato Sauce
* Vinegar/Lemon Juice
* Water
Thickener (choose 1-2 of 8), guideline 1/2-1 Cup, Simmer 15 min
* Barley/Rice/Wheat
* Beans
* Beets
* Bulgur
* Flour/Corn Starch
* Lentils/Split Peas
* Potato
* Turnips/Parsnips
Herbs/Spices (choose 3-4 of 9), guideline 1-3 tsp, Add the Last 2 min
* Bay Leaf
* Basil
* Dill
* Oregano/Thyme
* Parsley/Cilantro
* Pepper
* Poultry Seasoning
* Red Pepper Flakes
* Salt
Extras (choose 0-2 of 8), guideline 1/4-1 Cup, Top to Serve
* Avocado
* Croutons
* Green Onion
* Paprika
* Parmesan
* Parsley/Cilantro
* Sour Cream
* Tortilla Chips

I probably won't try more than a couple of the fishes on account of not even baking a lot already but knowing that I have a plethora of options easily at hand feels good.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (03-10-2013), LadyShea (04-05-2015), lisarea (03-09-2013), wei yau (03-12-2013)
Old 03-09-2013, 03:25 PM

BORT.

I know this is against the rule of the thrad, but Julia Child! She starts with a base recipe, like for a dough or a soup base or something, then expands on those, showing you how to make everything building up from those basic skills.

This is the book you need:

The Way to Cook: Julia Child: 9780679747659: Amazon.com: Books
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (03-09-2013), Janet (03-09-2013), livius drusus (03-09-2013)
Old 03-09-2013, 04:05 PM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

What's the Cajun Trinity?
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Old 03-09-2013, 04:28 PM

It's a mix of chopped onions, bell peppers, and celery. Like mirepoix except with bell peppers instead of carrots.

I don't like those terms because it almost always takes more time to say that, then explain what it means. I mean, I technically know that, but I still have to look it up or ask because I don't remember. TIME SAVED: Negative one million units of time.
Thanks, from:
Janet (03-09-2013)
Old 03-11-2013, 08:46 PM
A fellow sophisticate

I made some banana bread for the first time in my life the other day. I had purchased a bunch of bananas that nobody ate, turned brown. So I used my google-fu and came up with this very simple recipe: 4-5 bananas mushed up with melted butter and a cup of sugar, an egg, baking soda, and vanilla extract along with a pinch of salt and a cup and a half of flour. Baked in a buttered pan for an hour at 350ºF, it turned out bananalicious.
BrotherMan (03-11-2013), livius drusus (03-11-2013)
Old 03-11-2013, 10:38 PM

That is a very high banana proportion. It wasn't wet at all?
Old 03-12-2013, 03:28 AM
A fellow sophisticate

Why yes it was a bit moist. I happen to like it that way. In my defense they were very small bananas.
livius drusus (03-12-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 03:34 AM

Oh, no need to defend. If I could make a 10-banana bread I would. I heart bananas.

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Food & Drink