Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium

Old 09-01-2010, 01:01 AM
What would Hüsker Dü?

Default Re: Official "FUCK THA POLICE" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
NYPD investigates circumstances surrounding girl's death | 7online.com

The po seem to be casting some doubt on whether it was NYPD or not, but the parents and the witness say it was, and obviously, the other motorists thought he was, too.

Moral: Don't help the police. A lot of the time, they're doing things you probably wouldn't endorse.
Cop identified, suspended by NYPD for failing to help woman save daughter dying of asthma.

Police Officer Alfonso Mendez, 30, who is assigned to the NYPD's 84th Precinct in downtown Brooklyn, was suspended Tuesday following an NYPD internal probe to identify the mystery cop blamed in the death of Briana Ojeda, 11, police said.

Mendez - who has been on the force for five years - was in uniform and on his way back from traffic court Friday when he saw Briana's mother, Carmen Ojeda, turn the wrong way down a one-way street in Cobble Hill and sideswipe a car.

Mendez, who had been filling up his cruiser with gas at the 76th precinct stationhouse, stopped Ojeda, who was just a few blocks away from Long Island College Hospital.

Ojeda has said Mendez acted surly and claimed not know CPR, though all NYPD cops receive such training.

Police officials said Mendez did not call 911 and only followed Ojeda to the hospital, where Briana died.

The incident set off a four-day search to figure out who the officer was.

Mendez has been suspended without pay. Briana's funeral is set for tomorrow.

My view is that if the facts are confirmed, Mendez should be terminated for cause, general orders violations and failure to exhibit basic care and humanity.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (09-01-2010), LadyShea (09-01-2010), lisarea (09-01-2010), The Man (09-02-2010)
Old 09-01-2010, 01:18 PM
What would Hüsker Dü?

Officer Cited in Girl's Death

Law-enforcement officials with knowledge of the investigation say Mr. Mendez, 30 years old, though trained in CPR, admitted he wasn't confident enough in his skills to perform the procedure.

Then go work in a bakery.

One police official with knowledge of the investigation said Mr. Mendez's biggest mistake was that he failed to make the proper notifications.

I know a bigger one.

Mr. Mendez faces possible termination if the charges are substantiated at a departmental trial, police said.

Sounds like a plan.

While continuing to muse over possibilities, just think of what Mendez and the NYPD are facing at the civil trial.
Thanks, from:
The Man (09-02-2010)
Old 09-01-2010, 01:34 PM
What would Hüsker Dü?

Danziger Bridge officer to be sentenced next month in federal court

Lehrmann served in an investigative role and was not involved in the fatal shooting of six civilians, two fatally, in the days after Hurricane Katrina. He is scheduled to be sentenced on Sept. 16.

That statement is very sanitized.

For those not familiar...Lehrmann served to create the fantasy of counter witnesses, a weapon plant on those murdered to suggest LE justification and then kept quiet for nearly four years prior to dealing out.

That said, I really like Judge Africk. He is a judge of fact and maintains his oath well.
Thanks, from:
Dingfod (09-01-2010), LadyShea (09-01-2010), The Man (09-02-2010)
Old 09-01-2010, 09:02 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Guy with a heart condition who hurt his leg doesn't want to go to the hospital, so the police barge into his house and tase him multiple times.

That should help, yeah.

Marin man claims excessive force after being Tased at home | abc7news.com
Thanks, from:
Crumb (09-01-2010), Nullifidian (09-02-2010), The Man (09-02-2010)
Old 09-01-2010, 09:05 PM
Vice Cobra Assistant Commander

Maybe they were thinking the tasers would work like defibrillators. Above and beyond, people!
Thanks, from:
lisarea (09-02-2010), Naru (09-01-2010), Nullifidian (09-02-2010), The Man (09-02-2010)
Old 09-02-2010, 03:58 AM

Bizarre.

I am biking as is my wont. I will tend to let cars go by me even though technically I do not have to do this. I wave one to go past me and it turn out to be an unmarked police car with a Very Angry Fat Cop--sort of is a stereotype.

VAFC: YOU DON'T TELL AN OFFICER WHAT TO DO!!!

Moi: Whatever jerk.

VAFC: You want a ticket?!!

Moi: You cannot ticket me for that. But I will enjoy seeing you try to defend it in court.

VAFC: Sputters something in frustration

Moi: Fuck off.

And I biked away.

No, I do not generally advocate directing Law Enforcement to engage in biologically impossible functions with themselves, but I actually wanted to see if VAFC could actually pursue me.

And, no, I generally do not advocate trying to get even fat Law Enforcement to pursue you either.

--J.D.
Thanks, from:
Adam (09-13-2010), chunksmediocrites (09-13-2010), lisarea (09-02-2010), Naru (09-02-2010), The Man (09-02-2010)
Old 09-03-2010, 12:35 AM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

Not sure if this is really the right thread for this. Oh well.

Detroit cop aims at pit bull and shoots animal control officer
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Thanks, from:
lisarea (09-03-2010), Naru (09-03-2010), The Man (09-03-2010), wei yau (09-03-2010)
Old 09-03-2010, 03:48 AM
What would Hüsker Dü?

That's a decent shot at it, Janet, to be sure.

The situational circumstance of having an animal control officer who is trained to capture, not kill, animals on scene with hopalong gunning dogs down in the street is both strange and abhorrent.

That said:

Memphis Police Officer Arrested in Mississippi

The 9 year MPD veteran resigned this week, after Olive Branch police caught him sitting in a car with a 17-year-old girl.

An officer on patrol noticed the car, and stopped to see what was going on.

In his report, the officer said Hickey appeared nervous, but told the officer he was giving the girl a ride home.

But when the teen's dad showed up, he told officers she had her own car, and would not need a ride home from work.

Police say a search of the car turned up open containers of alcohol, a loaded handgun, Hickey's police badge and a hand-held 2-way radio.

Neighbor Houston Taylor doesn't know what to make of it.

"Kind of surprising that type of conduct here in the neighborhood," said Taylor.

Neighbors say Hickey is married and has a young son.

"They're great neighbors," said Wenzler. "I have nothing bad to say about them."

No one answered the door at Dickey's house, leaving people along the quiet street to wonder, if something unpleasant was really going on between the 17 year old and the former officer behind Pleasant Hill Elementary.

"You've got to remember, they're all human," said Taylor. "But yes, you would expect more."

I enjoy a good Freudian slip as much as the next guy, but I'd say Dickey Hickey is in for some additional problems sooner rather than later.
Thanks, from:
The Man (09-03-2010)
Old 09-10-2010, 08:59 PM

I love reading idiotic Consumerist comments on stories like this:

Guy Won't Answer Customs Cops' Questions Because He Doesn't Have To. Hilarity Ensues. - The Consumerist

And I can't imagine why this even merits discussion.

Sheriffs want lists of patients using painkillers
Thanks, from:
chunksmediocrites (09-13-2010), Kael (09-14-2010), Naru (09-10-2010), Nullifidian (09-13-2010), The Man (09-18-2010)
Old 09-10-2010, 09:12 PM
liar in wolf's clothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
Well, that guy just laughed his way on to some no-fly list.
Thanks, from:
Doctor X (09-11-2010), Naru (09-10-2010), The Man (09-18-2010)
Old 09-11-2010, 02:48 AM

You should totally go over to Consumerist and say that.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:03 AM
What would Hüsker Dü?

Quote:
"So this guy likes to give government employees a hard time while they work because he thinks they are "thugs", "goons", and "want U.S. citizens to answer their questions as a ritualistic bow to their power". Wow, so he's both paranoid and smug.

Oh and another choice quote: "I am a law-abiding citizen, and, as such, I am the master, and the federal cops are my servants. They would do well to remember that." Yeah, who's on the power trip now?"
Ouch.

What an unfounded and ludicrous stereotype.

Such characterizations have no place in grown up discussions.

:cool:

As for the Sheriff wanting lists of patients using painkillers...take a long walk off a short one.

There is no legal jurisdiction for an agent of law enforcement in private medical issues, in my view.

The only outcome of such a release of private medical information would be as a part of an investigation designed to incarcerate the target of the case...which does not benefit the individual or society in any way whatsoever.

LE officers have far better things to do with their time.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:22 AM
liar in wolf's clothing

Did anybody catch "This American Life" this week? They had a major segment about how NYPD cops cooked the books by downgrading serious crimes and occasionally just citing people for no reason, among other things. Listen here. The second segment is the most interesting.
Thanks, from:
Adam (09-13-2010), chunksmediocrites (09-13-2010), Crumb (09-13-2010), Demimonde (09-19-2010), Doctor X (09-13-2010), lisarea (09-13-2010), Nullifidian (09-13-2010), Qingdai (09-13-2010), The Man (09-18-2010)
Old 09-13-2010, 05:11 AM
Dogehlaugher -Scrutari

I did hear that today. The part where the cop who was home sick was dragged in was most illuminating.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:14 PM

Cop vs. Dog - Hit & Run : Reason Magazine

I'm having a hard time even parsing the events in that first incident, but I can't think of a single interpretation in which the cop isn't a violent, trigger happy idiot.

Oh, jeez. There's another one linked in the comments:

http://www.baynews9.com/article/news...kills-two-dogs
Thanks, from:
ChuckF (09-13-2010), Nullifidian (09-14-2010), The Man (09-18-2010)
Old 09-13-2010, 05:32 PM
liar in wolf's clothing

I was so going to poast that last night but I didn't want to risk any pibblewrath so I waited for lisarea.
Thanks, from:
lisarea (09-13-2010)
Old 09-13-2010, 05:43 PM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

What is wrong with Florida?
It seems that every other link in this thread is about a Florida officer being a dick.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:17 PM

:stunned:
Thanks, from:
ChuckF (09-13-2010), Crumb (09-14-2010), Nullifidian (09-13-2010)
Old 09-13-2010, 09:45 PM
liar in wolf's clothing

Jesus Christ.

Ok not for nothing, but since the sheriff there talked about how drug users are gonna use and haters are gonna hate, and how it's a lot like the schools and the liberals don't let us spank children anymore therefore crime: yeah, his 42 year old daughter got busted for prescription drug trafficking over the summer. It was a minor local scandal. But it's ok, he'll win re-election, and he can continue fighting those crazy fringe groups who want to force freedom-loving American cops to have a reason before they stop people.

Also: Tom Murry, the Republican douche in above video, is a lawyer but is not an alumni of my law school.
Thanks, from:
Ari (09-13-2010), lisarea (09-13-2010), Naru (09-13-2010), Nullifidian (09-14-2010), The Man (09-18-2010), wildernesse (09-14-2010)
Old 09-14-2010, 02:09 AM
What would Hüsker Dü?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckF

Also: Tom Murry, the Republican douche in above video, is a lawyer but is not an alumni of my law school.
Maybe someone should start a "F Tha Lawyers" thread.

:wave:

In other news, if this doesn't creep you out, I'm not sure what will:

Former Provo officer accused of trading sex act in lieu of arrest

Quote:
There were originally two drivers involved in the traffic accident, and one driver was eventually sent away, according to a probable cause statement filed with the jail. The female driver was asked to perform sobriety tests and, according to witnesses, "wasn't performing well," the document states.

Westerman drove the woman's car into a nearby parking lot. While searching the vehicle, the woman told police that Westerman "began swearing and yelling at her."

After Westerman told her he was going to arrest her for a felony, "he gave her the option of exposing her breasts to him," the jail report states.

Westerman proceeded to fondle her while "making crude sexual comments to her," according to the report. After she put her shirt down, Westerman allegedly told her to do it again because he was going to have to explain to his supervisor why he let a DUI suspect drive home.

"She stated that she lifted her top again because she didn't want to go to jail," the report states, and Westerman left after allegedly fondling her a second time.
Bad Lieutenant?
Old 09-14-2010, 02:28 AM
liar in wolf's clothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ 浪人 View Post
Quote:

Could be! But I am worried whether that would be a sufficiently sweeping and universal condemnation of injustice. For example, it seems to me that such a thread would express implicit approval of the Taliban.

Actually no, I do not give a shit what threads people start here on the Internet, because lol internet.
Thanks, from:
Adam (09-14-2010), Demimonde (09-19-2010), Naru (09-14-2010), Nullifidian (09-14-2010), Pan Narrans (09-14-2010), Qingdai (09-14-2010), Sock Puppet (09-15-2010), Stephen Maturin (09-14-2010), The Man (09-18-2010), Watser? (09-14-2010), wei yau (09-14-2010)
Old 09-14-2010, 06:15 PM
What would Hüsker Dü?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckF View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Could be! But I am worried whether that would be a sufficiently sweeping and universal condemnation of injustice. For example, it seems to me that such a thread would express implicit approval of the Taliban.

Actually no, I do not give a shit what threads people start here on the Internet, because lol internet.
Funny...you and the thank squad sure seem to thrive giving a shit about some of mine.

KC Officer Charged With Sodomizing Teen
Veteran Officer In Jail, Suspended Without Pay

Quote:
"Silke stated he is heterosexual and none of the sex acts would have occurred if he had not been drinking," according to court records. "Silke said the victim was probably too drunk to know what he did or lying."
Damn the Captain

Old 09-14-2010, 06:34 PM
liar in wolf's clothing

Quote:
Quote:
Funny...you and the thank squad sure seem to thrive giving a shit about some of mine.

I can't speak for anybody else, but I think and hope that most of my posts at and about you have been dismissive mockery. I sincerely apologize for any that were not. Also, unwarranted self-importance and newb rule 5.
Thanks, from:
Doctor X (09-15-2010)
Old 09-14-2010, 06:55 PM
Fishy mokey

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I can't speak for anybody else, but I think and hope that most of my posts at and about you have been dismissive mockery. I sincerely apologize for any that were not. Also, unwarranted self-importance and newb rule 5.
I am sad to say that some of my posts at and about Chinese characters that turn into squares on my laptop because it does not support Chinese characters have not been dismissive mockery. But rest assured that they will be from now on as he took his ridiculousness up another notch on the Slobberin' scale. Is there some kind of course where people get fed all this crap to spout?
Old 09-14-2010, 07:13 PM
The cat that will listen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watser? View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I am sad to say that some of my posts at and about Chinese characters that turn into squares on my laptop because it does not support Chinese characters have not been dismissive mockery. But rest assured that they will be from now on as he took his ridiculousness up another notch on the Slobberin' scale. Is there some kind of course where people get fed all this crap to spout?
It is interesting, isn't it, the patterns that people fall into--even though they may be completely unconnected? Besides this pattern, people tend to tell the same sorts of lies kind of across the board. For example, I've found it is peculiar how many gunshot wound victims say "I was just minding my own business." or were involved in "a case of mistaken identity".
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (09-14-2010), The Man (09-18-2010)

Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium