Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-20-2010, 05:12 PM
Compensating for something...

Default 9th Circuit joins a Colorado District holding the Stolen Valor Act unConstitutional

Opinion here.

http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastor...7/08-50345.pdf

Though I can understand some of the court's legal logic, I have a feeling this is an example of "The Law is an Ass". I do wonder whether the logic was correctly applied as it affects the real world, however.

The dissent is unusually dissatisfied, and seems to all but call the majority unbridled idiots. His argument also seems to be fairly logical to my unexperienced mind. Still it does take a bit of a left turn near the end. Allow me to quote from the dissent.

Quote:
Lt. Dan: They gave you the Congressional Medal of Honor.
Forrest: Now that’s Lieutenant Dan. Lieutenant Dan!
Lt. Dan: They gave you the Congressional Medal of Honor!
Forrest: Yes sir, they sure did.
Lt. Dan: They gave you[,] an imbecile, a moron who goes on television and makes a fool out of himself in front of the whole damn country, the Congressional Medal of Honor.
Forrest: Yes sir.
Forrest Gump (1994), available at 404 Not Found (last visited July 6, 2010); see also The Karate Kid (1984) (representing that Mr. Miyagi, played by actor Pat Morita, had received the Congressional Medal of Honor for his heroism in World War II); The Next Karate Kid (1994) (showing Mr. Miyagi wearing the Congressional Medal of Honor).
I am not 100% certain, but I think this is fairly likely that this is the time Forrest Gump or Mr Miyagi have ever been cited in Federal court opinion. I think that adds a certain 'cool' factor.

Any judges ever quote Monty Python or Army of Darkness?

NTM
Adam (08-20-2010), chunksmediocrites (08-21-2010), Stephen Maturin (08-20-2010), The Man (08-24-2010)

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law