Go Back   Freethought Forum > Public Works > Forum Administration

Old 08-05-2004, 10:24 PM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

Default Re: The Arcade

This I promise you: as long as all y'all stay away from my straight Tetris scores, the Arcade will remain intact.
Old 08-06-2004, 02:42 AM
go fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by livius drusus
... my straight Tetris scores ...
Wow, isn't it rather extreme to have separate versions of Tetris based on sexual preference? Just curious, which group tends to score the best? :wink:
Old 08-06-2004, 02:06 PM
Solipsist

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscousmemories
I see the arcade and the forums here as not dissimilar to having a real arcade and a library next door to each other. When people want to read (or in the case of the forums, write) they'll come to the boards. When they want to take a break or veg, they'll go to the arcade. It may be true that people would spend more time posting if not for the games, but I doubt it; I think they'd just come around less.
No. The arcade is like a rave; the forums are like a chill room. People come here for a short break when they get dehydrated or exhausted.

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Old 08-06-2004, 04:18 PM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pescifish
Wow, isn't it rather extreme to have separate versions of Tetris based on sexual preference?
Hey, I didn't name it Candy(ass) Tetris. It was like that when I got here.

Quote:
Just curious, which group tends to score the best? :wink:
Stereotypes be damned. No question the straight ones put out far, far more. :yup:
Old 09-01-2004, 01:21 PM
A fellow sophisticate

A-ha! Just as I suspected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farren, over there
...since FF started I've hardly posted at all either here or at HH (I'm too busy gobbling up the high scores in the arcade)

Warren
Old 09-01-2004, 03:39 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenly
A-ha! Just as I suspected.
It's all part of our rather devious strategy. I wasn't able to confess it earlier, but I believe farren is now sufficiently enthralled that even knowing our plan won't stop him now. You see, we realized we were suffering a dearth of quality intellectual contributions from certain folks because of their unhealthy obsession with the arcade, and their equally unhealthy preoccupation with besting each other.

So, we gave it a think.

What we concluded is that with minimal encouragement, we could get farren to put his life on hold and devote his time (in nearly its entirety) to capturing the high scores in the arcade and dominating the scene. We knew that as a result, the discouraged victims would eventually slink away from the glitz and glamour of the games and return to the fora. Of course we also knew that we would be sacrificing farren's contributions to the arcade Gods, but we decided it was a price that had to be paid.

It is worth noting, however, that while farren has conquered the arcade in sheer volume of awards, he has not succeeded in toppling any of the more serious competitors in their field. I'm thinking now of Sonnet's PoolJam championship or livius' Tetris cups. No, farren is strictly a numbers man, satisfying his craving for superiority by filling the void with easily acquired trophies...

:popcorn:
Old 09-01-2004, 07:02 PM
go fish

Quote:
You see, we realized we were suffering a dearth of quality intellectual contributions from certain folks
See, now, I was thinking maybe your devious plan involved capturing all those "certain folks" in the arcade so that their lame (non-quality) contributions to the forums could be avoided. :runaway:
Old 09-01-2004, 07:13 PM
Indecisive - or maybe not

Quote:
What we concluded is that with minimal encouragement, we could get farren to put his life on hold and devote his time (in nearly its entirety) to capturing the high scores in the arcade and dominating the scene. We knew that as a result, the discouraged victims would eventually slink away from the glitz and glamour of the games and return to the fora.
But what if it results in us - er, I mean, them - spending more time in the arcade now they have high scores to recapture?

Anyway, I don't see Farren anywhere on the high scores board for Candy Tetris :D

Helen
Old 09-01-2004, 07:42 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pescifish
See, now, I was thinking maybe your devious plan involved capturing all those "certain folks" in the arcade so that their lame (non-quality) contributions to the forums could be avoided. :runaway:
Oh well, um, yeah, that too! All part of the plan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenM
But what if it results in us - er, I mean, them - spending more time in the arcade now they have high scores to recapture?
We thought of that too. We thought of everything!! But that's a straw herring tu quoque. My motives are not the issue here. :innocent:

Quote:
Anyway, I don't see Farren anywhere on the high scores board for Candy Tetris.
As I said, he showed up to the Olympics and has been tackling the kids playing hopscotch in the parking lot. When he captures a real trophy I'll start to worry.

Freethought Forum > Public Works > Forum Administration