Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-30-2004, 10:32 AM
The Annoying One

Default Where is the Magic in the "Magic of the Marketplace"

Lately I have been trying to get an answer to this question and so far, no luck.

In fact, most proponents of the "magic of the marketplace" theory of economic expansion can't even give me a decent description. Not even a good definition. As far as I can tell it consist of allowing corporations to do what ever they want without any type of corporate oversight. I have been told that if the marketplace is allowed the freedom to grow uncontrolled that all sorts of wonders will be mine...cleaner teeth, fresher breath, and more money than I know what to do with.

Now personally I think this is crazy talk from crazy people. We have a history in this country of allowing corporations an inordinate amount of freedom in this country as it is and what is the thanks we get? Love Canal? Lead Poisoning? Silicosis? Industrial disaster after disaster? And that is with oversight! Hell here in Houston one of our largest bayous has just been listed a Superfund cleanup site!

So can someone, anyone, explain to me how the "magic of the marketplace" is supposed to fix such problems?

Just curious...

"The only way for a reporter to look at a politician is down." - H.L. Mencken

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law