Old 08-21-2018, 08:46 AM
Solipsist

Default Re: Why the Mainstream Media Really Sucks

FF poster rejects mainstream media for this 1 weird reason

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
Ari (08-21-2018), chunksmediocrites (08-22-2018), Crumb (08-21-2018), lisarea (08-21-2018), slimshady2357 (08-21-2018), Sock Puppet (08-21-2018), SR71 (08-24-2018), The Man (08-21-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 11:20 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Here, we see the "Vichy New York Times" kowtowing yet again to tRump. :lol:

All the President's Crooks
Old 08-22-2018, 03:36 AM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

davidm claims to work at a newspaper, yet still hasn't mastered the distinction between the opinion pages and the news pages. Sad.
Thanks, from:
Ari (08-22-2018), The Man (08-22-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 06:50 PM
Shitpost Sommelier

:AB: :canada:
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (08-29-2018), chunksmediocrites (08-28-2018), lisarea (08-28-2018), The Man (08-28-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 10:33 PM

tl;dr version is that it was actually a policy under Bush which was ended soon after Obama took office. Obama's administration settled cases from under Bush in June 2009.

I'm sure many would be disappointed to learn that Trump and the GOP really are that much more awful than Democrats though.
Thanks, from:
JoeP (08-31-2018), Kamilah Hauptmann (08-30-2018), lisarea (08-30-2018), mickthinks (09-01-2018), The Lone Ranger (08-31-2018), The Man (08-30-2018)
Old 09-01-2018, 10:25 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

Yeah, shame on him for having an honest job. Man those replies.

Thanks, from:
Ari (09-01-2018), Crumb (09-01-2018), Ensign Steve (09-01-2018), The Man (09-01-2018)
Old 09-01-2018, 05:34 PM
here to bore you with pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamilah Hauptmann View Post
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">'Cosby Show' actor Geoffrey Owens spotted bagging groceries at NJ Trader Joe's <a href="https://t.co/bhkxWYa9gq">https://t.co/bhkxWYa9gq</a></p>&mdash; Fox News (@FoxNews) <a href="https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/1035663476180615168?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 31, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Yeah, shame on him for having an honest job. Man those replies.
The best response I saw asked, which person took the more honorable path, Owens or Cosby?
Thanks, from:
Ari (09-01-2018), Crumb (09-01-2018), Ensign Steve (09-01-2018), Kamilah Hauptmann (09-10-2018), The Man (09-01-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 08:48 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Following the massive layoffs at the Denver Post recently, some local journalists started up this new online paper, and today is their official launch date.

I really really hope it works out, because we need it badly.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (09-11-2018), Ensign Steve (09-12-2018), JoeP (09-11-2018), Kamilah Hauptmann (09-10-2018), Sock Puppet (09-21-2018), Stephen Maturin (09-10-2018), The Man (09-10-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 09:52 PM
Solipsist

Thanks, from:
Kamilah Hauptmann (09-20-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 09:54 PM
Solipsist

(only one video per post? somebody ought to do something about that)

Thanks, from:
Kamilah Hauptmann (09-20-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 10:41 PM
Shitpost Sommelier

Second one's not entirely nonsense, I'd be in the canoe too given the muck and shit that wells up in flooded urban areas.

~~~~

Thanks, from:
Ari (09-20-2018), JoeP (09-20-2018), The Man (09-21-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 12:33 AM
Spiffiest wanger

Here is the "Vichy New York Times" in action again, in case you are really stupid and believe the "Vichy" part.

:finger:
Old 09-21-2018, 11:18 PM

Isn't it weird how the one extremely "establishment" institution that davidm is dedicated to defending from criticism is the one in the field he works in? :chin:
Thanks, from:
mickthinks (09-21-2018), The Man (09-22-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 06:06 PM
Safety glasses off, motherfuckers

It can’t possibly be said often enough:

FUCK THE FUCKING NEW YORK TIMES.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actual journalist David Simon
The newspaper encountered a rational and inevitable process by which professionals, while balanced on a very real ethical precipice, are meeting and spitballing their status and options — as say a bunch of reporters or editors might contemplate all manner of option, express all possible concerns, evaluate all possible risk, and likely employ all forms of sarcasm or wit when addressing their ethical role and a complicated task at hand. And then, given some available shards of information about that process by interested parties — as all sources are interested parties — the Times foolishly made itself party to what amounts to a first-news-cycle justification for an authoritarian administration to fire a torpedo into the very idea that we are a nation of laws. Because this kind of journalistic malpractice isn’t happening in a vacuum: These are perilous times. Much is no longer normal in our governance. The stakes are high.

The substance of what happened after Comey is that DOJ has proceeded to operate its independent investigative function leading to a series of indictments and convictions. The ethical necessity of proceeding with this investigation, so furiously opposed by the executive is evidenced, is evidenced dramatically by the court filings and successful criminal prosecutions that have ensued. Further, there has not been a reported approach by DOJ personnel to Cabinet officials seeking to engage the 25A. Further, the president was not targeted with electronic surveillance. But now, because of the play of this article, because of the prevailing characterization of open-ended and inevitable post-Comey discussions within DOJ as being an erratic performance by the DAG, and because the top of the NYT account leads with the seeming affronts and challenges to Trump, but minimizes the fundamental fact that DOJ was already under pressure from the executive to cede its independence in matters of political interest to the president — because of all of this, the necessary prerequisite for Trump firing Rosenstein and then collapsing Mueller’s work is at hand. Witness the immediate response of the president in promising to purge DOJ within the very news cycle of the Times report.

Was the material in the story essential and newsworthy enough to continue reporting until a comprehensive and contextualized account of those discussions could be delivered? Maybe. Depends on what actually occurred, what was given real weight and what was quickly discarded by the participants. For myself, I don’t need the NYT to reveal to me that there was a fuck-ton of talk among the DOJ professionals after Comey was sacked. I’m sure a lot of shit was said and wondered aloud and mused about by professionals in a Justice Department who had been suddenly been dragged to the edge of a host of legal and ethical dilemmas and conflicts. If not, they are all either fucking oblivious or indifferent morons. But what became of that spitballing and bitching — how they actually proceeded and how they did not proceed, and what pressure they were actually under from the executive, empirically — this is the how and why — the very guts, of what needed to be the reportage here. It wasn’t so in the Times. That kind of overview which would have contextualized the information the newspaper possessed was minimized, buried or wholly absent in a piece that was written as a gotcha scoop for rubes and partisans. That the paper had facts in a row, I have no doubt. That every paragraph scans and is vetted by those facts, I’m sure. But the totality of what the NYT delivered here is in my opinion malpractice. The tail of what DOJ people SAID in their collective ruminations at a time of great stress and real risk to the republic is now wagging the larger dog of what they actually DID. As a result, the Times created an undercooked, paper-thin narrative that falsely justifies and services the executive’s continuing assault on the DOJ’s independent investigative authority. Was that the newspaper’s intent? No. I make no claim as to any motive on the part of the Times other than the scoop itself. But ignoring motive, that is the result.
If their journalistic malpractice gets Rosenstein fired, it could very well be the end of any semblance of democracy in this country. We had… I’m not going to say a good run. It wasn’t that good, particularly for women and people of African and native descent and poor people and queer people and basically anyone who wasn’t a rich, straight, cis white male. We had a reasonably long run, anyway, even if it was only since about 1964 that we could actually credibly claim to be a bona fide democracy.

(I should note that Axios and WaPo also massively fucked this one up.)

“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith

last.fm · my music · Marathon Expanded Universe

Last edited by The Man; 09-24-2018 at 09:24 PM.
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (10-08-2018), Kyuss Apollo (09-30-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 09:15 PM

What are you talking about? This isn't nearly as humiliating a debacle as that time they got a date wrong and then corrected it two hours later.
Thanks, from:
slimshady2357 (09-24-2018), The Man (09-24-2018)
Old 09-28-2018, 05:54 AM

New York Times, doing a classic both-sides "he said, she said" in response to the GOP's total refusal to investigate beyond what he said and she said.

They are #resisting so hard, as usual.

Thanks, from:
Ari (10-01-2018), Crumb (09-28-2018), Kyuss Apollo (09-30-2018), lisarea (09-28-2018), slimshady2357 (09-28-2018), SR71 (09-28-2018), Stephen Maturin (09-28-2018), The Man (09-28-2018), Zehava (09-28-2018)
Old 10-07-2018, 09:13 PM
Safety glasses off, motherfuckers

Today in “Fuck the Fucking New York Times”:

(Unrolled version of thread.)

On the other hand, Daniel Dale is one of the best reporters in the country. If you have a few extra bucks to spare each month, it might be worth subscribing to the Toronto Star just to support his U.S. politics coverage.

“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith

last.fm · my music · Marathon Expanded Universe
Thanks, from:
Crumb (10-09-2018), Kamilah Hauptmann (10-07-2018), slimshady2357 (10-08-2018)
Old 10-07-2018, 09:36 PM
Shitpost Sommelier

Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (10-08-2018), The Man (10-08-2018), Zehava (10-17-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 07:13 PM
Shitpost Sommelier

Misc:

Seventy Years of the New York Times Describing Saudi Royals as Reformers

Thanks, from:
But (10-08-2018), fragment (10-08-2018), slimshady2357 (10-09-2018), The Man (10-08-2018)
Old 10-09-2018, 10:57 PM

LOOK AT THIS SHIT.

Over 120 children rescued following Michigan human trafficking sting

Everything about that headline is a lie, and there are variations on it in a million different news sites. Just search US Marshals and Detroit or something for a representative sampling.

Here is the press release from the US Marshals, though:

New USMS Child Recovery Unit Recovers 123 Children During 1-Day Operation

1. It was not a fucking sting.

2. They can say it was a 'human trafficking initiative' I guess, because you can say anything, but only three of those cases may have had human trafficking involved.

3. The press release says, "Participating officers were given the case files and began investigating their whereabouts by visiting last known addresses, friend’s homes and schools in hopes of finding them in a safe place." That's not a sting, and it's not a rescue. They were fine all along, the cops just hadn't bothered to follow up.

The only one it looks like they 'rescued' in any sense at all was one homeless teenager.

Conclusion: They had a big backlog of missing children reports they'd never gotten around to investigating at all, so they set aside a day to do some basic-assed checking to see if the kids were in super-obvious places such as home, school, or at a friend's house. And a bunch of them were! Because most as in like 90 something percent of missing children reports are kids who run away from home for a couple days or stay over at a friend's house without permission, and then come right back home.

Three of them had possibly been involved with human trafficking, likely meaning that they'd reported doing sex work and had pimps, which is fucking awful, but it's not what the story is implying. They're making it sound like human traffickers were driving around Detroit just scooping up hundreds of kids off the streets to sell them.

But hey, that's cool. The QAnon idiots are loving these headlines, so great job, media, and great job, idiots freaking out about the story without even fucking reading it.

Mark my words, human trafficking is our very own modern day Satanic Panic even outside the totally whackadoo Alex Jones circles.
Thanks, from:
Ari (10-09-2018), But (10-10-2018), Crumb (10-10-2018), JoeP (10-09-2018), slimshady2357 (10-10-2018), Stephen Maturin (10-09-2018), The Man (10-09-2018)
Old 10-09-2018, 11:14 PM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
Mark my words, human trafficking is our very own modern day Satanic Panic even outside the totally whackadoo Alex Jones circles.
I was trying to think of a good analogy, and this hits the mark pretty well.

It's the moral panic boogieman. Many times people 'rescued' from human trafficking are put into the prison system, just in case they should choose to 'traffic' themselves again, they are already on a watch list. 'Trafficking victims' can keep from getting on this list if they just give their services for free to the cops.

It's similar to how the fear of men harassing women is used to protect women's bathrooms from trans people but the reality of men harassing women is brushed aside as boys being boys, or the good men just being men, unlike those bad, immoral men, you should keep an eye out for those.

IMO conservatives are extra scared of 'antifa' because they are worried about their trick being used against them. Of giving something a name only evil deviants would oppose, so that they can slide through their evil under the guise of something so good only monsters would oppose it. Like Pro-life. Or preventing human trafficking.
Thanks, from:
But (10-10-2018), JoeP (10-09-2018), Kamilah Hauptmann (10-10-2018), slimshady2357 (10-10-2018), The Man (10-09-2018)
Old 10-09-2018, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari View Post
It's similar to how the fear of men harassing women is used to protect women's bathrooms from trans people but the reality of men harassing women is brushed aside as boys being boys, or the good men just being men, unlike those bad, immoral men, you should keep an eye out for those.
Oh, yeah. And how many fine upstanding Republican gentlemen argued against bathroom bills by saying that they would totally have claimed to be transwomen so they could go into women's toilets and lockers?

(I'm blanking on which ones, but I definitely remember at least a couple politicians actually saying that.)
Thanks, from:
Ari (10-09-2018), But (10-10-2018), Crumb (10-10-2018), Kamilah Hauptmann (10-10-2018), slimshady2357 (10-10-2018), The Man (10-09-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 12:09 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

Quote:
Oooh, I bet at least some of them staying over at a friend's played D&D and listened to Alice Cooper backwards!

Thanks, from:
Ari (10-10-2018), lisarea (10-10-2018), The Man (10-10-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari View Post
Oh, yeah. And how many fine upstanding Republican gentlemen argued against bathroom bills by saying that they would totally have claimed to be transwomen so they could go into women's toilets and lockers?

(I'm blanking on which ones, but I definitely remember at least a couple politicians actually saying that.)
I recall Mike Huckabee suggesting he would've used the opportunity to claim he was a woman to get into the girls' locker room or something along those lines.
Thanks, from:
Ari (10-17-2018), Ensign Steve (10-10-2018), JoeP (10-10-2018), lisarea (10-10-2018), The Man (10-10-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 01:32 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

Maybe not sucks, but I'll put it here anyway:

Thanks, from:
Ari (10-17-2018), BrotherMan (10-17-2018), ceptimus (10-24-2018), Crumb (10-17-2018), JoeP (10-17-2018), lisarea (10-17-2018), slimshady2357 (10-17-2018), Sock Puppet (10-17-2018), The Man (10-17-2018)

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law