Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature

Old 08-07-2008, 04:38 AM
Love Bomb

Default Good Copy Bad Copy

GOOD COPY BAD COPY

Get off yer ass and jam, y'all!

Interesting documentary on copyright, sampling, etc. :yup:

Does copyright law protect artists, or does it stifle creativity? I guess it depends, eh...who really owns "copyright" and what is it's purpose?

~ Ice T ~
Old 08-07-2008, 08:12 PM
Coffee, tea, anti-Nazi

Default Re: Good Copy Bad Copy

I don't have time to watch the movie just yet, but I do have some thoughts on the sampling issue.

I'm torn on the issue. On one hand it's my opinion that some very creative things have been done with samples in songs. I love De La Soul and KLF and think that artists like this have done wonders for the recording industry as far as creativity is concerned.

On the other hand, I understand that the copyright laws are such that it's a "pay to play" rule as far as using songs/parts of songs. Recording artists have to eat, too. But I wonder how much of the royalties the artist themselves actually see? I suppose it's an individual basis based on contract, but I get the feeling that it's the record companies themselves putting up the biggest fight.

I kind of think about it as free publicity for the original artist, especially when an older song is sampled, so long as the proper credits are given.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:36 PM
Fishy mokey

I haven't seen the movie but I have some mixed emotions on it too.

In Jamaica there was the local copyrights laws were rather unusual: it was impossible to get a copyright on a particular song or instrumental track, only on a particular version or arrangement. The disadvantage of this was that often others would make money with a particularly successful song or even that foreigners would end up with the copyright of what was definitely a Jamaican song. Germany's Frank Farian got the copyright for Rivers of Babylon (originally by the Melodians but Farian's project Boney M had a big hit with it in Germany and most of the rest of Europe). Jonathan Richman copyrighted Egyptian Reggae, although that was a Jamaican track as well (I don't even know what the original was called but I have a dub version by King Tubby).

On the other hand there are dozens of versions of what was originally Freedom Blues by Little Richard (the MPLA rhythm as it is mostly called, after one of the biggest hits, MPLA by Tappa Zukie).

In other words, the lack of strict copyright laws resulted in a Jamaican invention that had a pretty big impact on the music industry: the remix.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:01 PM
Not as smart as Adam

I think that artists should be recompensed for their work. But all too often the actual cost to the consumer far outweighs what the artist gets. There's this quote in the generator:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Reznor from Nine Inch Nails
Last time I was here, I was doing a lot of complaining about the ridiculous prices of CDs down here. And that story got picked up and got carried all around the world and now my record label all around the world hates me, because I yelled at them, I called them out for being greedy fucking assholes. I didn't get a chance to check, has the price come down at all? I see a no, a no, a no... Has anyone seen the price come down? Okay, well, you know what that means - STEAL IT. Steal away. Steal and steal and steal some more and give it to all your friends and keep on stealin'. Because one way or another these motherfuckers will get it through their head that they're ripping people off and that that's not right.

He gets it. I bought his latest album directly from his website. Actually, it's four albums. It cost me five dollars.

It's a vicious cycle. Record companies charge too much for CD's so people steal them. So artists stop producing music, or record companies do all sorts of anti-theft things. And in the meantime there's suddenly a whole generation of criminals spawned by the greedy pigs at Capitol Records.
I think that artists are going to go to the internet to sell their music. As long as it is reasonably priced then I think people won't mind paying.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:20 PM
Fishy mokey

Yeah, that's just it. I don't mind paying for the artists, I mind paying for the record industry's record profits. Fuck that. I prefer buying second hand or straight from the artists.
curses (08-10-2008)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature