Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature

Old 04-12-2009, 06:44 PM
Babby Police

Default Hitchens is very angry at God

Worth listening to.
Todd Friel: [Reads Romans 1:18-20.] Does that sound like you?

Hitchens: No, it sounds like St. Paul.
According to Wikipedia, Todd Friel is known for "evangelism" and "comedy."

Here, he manages to unwittingly combine the two.
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (04-13-2009), But (04-12-2009), ChuckF (04-13-2009), Nullifidian (04-12-2009), SharonDee (04-12-2009), viscousmemories (04-13-2009), Watser? (04-12-2009)
Old 04-12-2009, 08:45 PM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

Default Re: Hitchens is very angry at God

Todd Friel: It doesn't sound at all like you'd measure up to God's 10 Commandments.

Hitchens: Who gives a shit?
Old 04-12-2009, 10:42 PM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

I'm reminded of a story told by Annie Dillard.

A missionary shows up in an Inuit village and starts telling the people of God and how God will punish them with eternal torment if they don't believe in him and accept him as your "savior."

"Would he have condemned us to torment if you hadn't told us about him?" one of the Inuit asked.

The missionary hesitated for a moment, then replied, "No, I don't believe God would be so cruel as to inflict eternal torment on someone just because they'd never heard of him and so had never had the opportunity to accept him."

"Then why did you tell us?" the Inuit man asked. "If what you say is true, by telling us this story, you've surely doomed some of us to eternal torment. We would have been a lot better off if you'd never shown up."
Thanks, from:
ceptimus (04-18-2009), Crumb (04-13-2009)
Old 04-12-2009, 10:44 PM
Fishy mokey

That's why it is so important to shoot missionaries on sight before they open their mouths.
Anastasia Beaverhausen (04-12-2009), ceptimus (04-18-2009), ChuckF (04-14-2009), erimir (04-13-2009), Naru (04-12-2009), Qingdai (04-13-2009), Stormlight (04-13-2009)
Old 04-13-2009, 01:24 AM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

I loved Friel's rebuttal to the hard questions, "It's just a hypothetical game."
Yeah you're right, when you're living the cushy life on believer's money being poor and hungry is just a hypothetical game.

It was interesting how "assume there is a God" slowly morphed into "assume there is a God that believes exactly as I do." A number of his questions could have easily pointed to one of the many Pagan Gods and not Christianity at all.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:48 AM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

The thing is, Friel probably thinks he "won" in the end, because in the end, Hitchens said (quite honestly) that he's able to live the sort of life he wants to live because he doesn't believe there's a vengeful God watching his every move.

Friel probably takes that to mean, "I'm an evil person, and I choose to be an atheist because if I don't believe in God, I don't have to worry about ever being punished for my evil, evil ways."

I've certainly known a number of Fundamentalist Christians who interpret the statement "I live my life as I think is proper" as meaning exactly that. Many of them claim outright that "all morality comes from God," and such people seem to honestly believe that it's logically impossible for one to be both an atheist and a moral person.

So, I'd bet that Friel thinks Hitchens' "admission" that he lives the sort of life he wants to live is an admission that Hitchens is a man who knowingly chooses evil over good. Because, of course, to many Fundamentalists, humans are inherently evil, and only by choosing to acknowledge God as your lord and master and by choosing to live in strict adherence to his rules can you become a good person.

Indeed, it seemed to me that there were a number of occasions during the interview in which Hitchens said one thing and Friel clearly interpreted it as meaning something entirely different from what Hitchens had actually said.

Cheers,

Michael
Thanks, from:
Crumb (04-13-2009), The Man (04-16-2009)
Old 04-13-2009, 04:29 AM
A fellow sophisticate

I'd rather listenlook toat Anna Friel.

Doctor X (04-13-2009), Megatron (04-13-2009), The Man (04-16-2009)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature