Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law

Old 06-08-2016, 10:53 PM
Coffin Creep

Default Re: The war on big food.

I did my part for the War on Big Food by eating a loaded philly cheesesteak with seasoned fries and a dill spear. That meal won't be making war on anyone else again, though I am still suffering from the jalapenos.
BrotherMan (06-09-2016), Crumb (06-09-2016), Dingfod (06-09-2016), Janet (06-09-2016), JoeP (06-08-2016), lisarea (06-08-2016), Pan Narrans (06-09-2016), Stormlight (06-09-2016), The Man (06-09-2016), Watser? (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 11:13 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari View Post
GMOs are safe. Theres no known mechanism where a GMO product will hurt consumers, especially since its just a more sciency version of what farmers have done for years.
So smoking isn't bad for you as long as it's genetically modified tobacco?

I mean, I know this sounds like nitpicking, because it is, but it is not true that GMOs are, by nature of being genetically modified, safe for human consumption; and 'safe for human consumption' is a much narrower thing than just 'safe.' Safe is the opposite of dangerous, and there are, as you actually point out next, potential dangers of introducing GMOs wholesale into the market. Obviously, there could be economic and environmental issues, but in the long run, there could also be health issues as well when taken as a whole, simply as a result of reducing the diversity of people's diets and things like that.

You can say that there is no evidence that genetically modified products carry health risks that the equivalent non GM products would, but that's not the same thing as saying GMOs are safe. No legitimate scientific study would reach a conclusion as definitive and as broad as "GMOs are safe." That actually perpetuates scientific illiteracy.

I know that there probably isn't anyone who genuinely thinks that GM tobacco is safe, but I do know that there are people who seem unable to process any argument against GMOs at all. They just have this simplistic, black and white notion that GMOs are smart and sciencey, and anyone who doesn't fully endorse them, regardless of the reason, is just stupid and superstitious.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (06-09-2016), The Man (06-09-2016), Watser? (06-09-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 12:08 AM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

Well Im pretty sure smoking organic tobacco is bad too.
GMOs are equally safe to their nonGMO counterparts. Or more exactly GMOs dont make a product any more dangerous by purely being genetically midified.
Organic belladonna is as safe as GMO belladonna. Thats to say potentially deadly.

Until people start modifying tomatoes to produce atropine and selling them as food that is.
Old 06-10-2016, 05:24 PM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watser? View Post
Bill Maher is no liberal, he's a PEP (Progressive Except for Palestine, i.e. not progressive at all).
I'm curious what the full list of acronyms is:

"PE_ (Progressive Except for ______, i.e. not progressive at all)"

Also what do we do about these declared "non-progressives"?
Old 02-19-2017, 03:52 AM

Why Bill Maher is an asshole.
Bill Maher Is a Monster
Maher chats it up with right wing troll and hate monger Milo over why all these "schoolgirls" (Mahers words) hate him.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (02-19-2017), Kamilah Hauptmann (02-19-2017), lisarea (02-19-2017), Stormlight (02-19-2017), The Man (02-19-2017), Watser? (02-19-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 06:07 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari View Post
Why Bill Maher is an asshole.
Bill Maher Is a Monster
Maher chats it up with right wing troll and hate monger Milo over why all these "schoolgirls" (Mahers words) hate him.
Alternative take: Maher feeds Milo all the rope he needs for Nance and Wilmore to beat the living crap out of him.

:AB: :canada:
Thanks, from:
Stormlight (02-19-2017), The Man (02-19-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 04:15 PM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

Okay, so I'd never heard or seen Milo Yiannopoulos before watching that video.

I had vaguely thought that the talk about him must be exaggerated, to at least some degree, but he comes across as being every bit as vile as he has been described.

Given that he's gay (and a cross dresser too, or was that just for "shock"?), it takes a certain amount of stupidity to gleefully carry water for people who would, in very many cases, gladly string you up from the nearest tree, given half a chance.

But then, he's clearly a troll. As such, attention is like oxygen to him. So stop feeding the troll. Mahrer talked about "free speech" and whatnot, but free speech doesn't mean that you have to give loathsome scum all the air time they want. The best thing that could possibly happen regarding Yiannopoulos is if every media outlet made a collective deal to completely ignore him, so that he'd have nothing else to do but crawl back under his rock.

Does he even believe half the stuff he's saying? I somehow doubt it. What he wants it attention -- heck he was literally begging Kingston to tell him to "fuck off." As such, it seems that he'll do anything, say anything, so long as it gets him attention. But if he doesn't truly believe all the awful things he's saying, then in my opinion, that makes him worse than a genuine bigot. I can at least respect someone who spews such poison because he genuinely hates women, transgenders, African-Americans, Jews, etc. At least he's being honest. But someone who does so because he craves attention (and the money that it brings) is far worse, if you ask me, because he's willing to destroy civil society for personal gain.

But you know what? Jack Kingston didn't come off at all well, either. Sure, he wouldn't come right out and support Yiannopoulos, but he looked like he was enjoying the heck out of hearing Yiannopoulos speak. You could practically hear him thinking "Go! Keep talking, you magnificent bastard! The more you speak, the more you'll fire up the bigots, racists, and other Republican-voting scum."

Bill Mahrer clearly didn't care much for Yiannopoulos himself, but kept egging him on. I can only assume that he knew what Yiannopoulos was before booking him (and if he didn't, he very soon found out), so that pretty clearly demonstrates that he was willing to give such a vile excuse for a human being free air time in order to increase his own ratings. As such, I've lost a great deal of whatever respect I may have had for Mahrer.

Larry Wilmore and Malcolm Nance, at least, handled themselves well. Though in telling Yiannopoulos to "fuck off," they gave him exactly what he was looking for.

But honestly, Malcolm Nance may be my new hero. I absolutely love that he called Jack Kingston on his hypocrisy and opportunism, by pointing out that Kingston was clearly and blatantly putting the interest of the Republican Party over that of the nation itself.

Last edited by The Lone Ranger; 02-19-2017 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Typo
Thanks, from:
Ari (02-19-2017), Crumb (02-19-2017), Kamilah Hauptmann (02-19-2017), Sock Puppet (02-23-2017), Stormlight (02-20-2017), The Man (02-19-2017), Watser? (02-19-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamilah Hauptmann View Post
Alternative take: Maher feeds Milo all the rope he needs for Nance and Wilmore to beat the living crap out of him.
I don't buy it. It's not as if no one knows this guys opinion and no rule that says he must say it on your show before you can take the piss out of him. There's plenty of fodder without giving him a softball interview to spread his platform.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (02-19-2017), Kamilah Hauptmann (02-19-2017), specious_reasons (02-19-2017), Stormlight (02-20-2017), The Lone Ranger (02-19-2017), The Man (02-19-2017), Watser? (02-19-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 04:41 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

I allowed myself to stop watching that a couple of minutes in. But what always gets me is how that sort of thing is characterized as some kind of edgy freethinking kind of stuff. It's not. He just sounds like my racist uncle, the one who never moved away from the small rural property he was raised on. The one with the mail order bride who ended up being a thousand times smarter and more accomplished than him.

There's nothing edgy or new or interesting about what he's saying, and as much as the "alt" right likes to pretend that they're somehow cooler or smarter than the ignorant backwoods type conservatives who hate and fear intellectuals and cityfolk, they're not. They're still just dumb and scared and too intellectually lazy to even try understanding anything outside of their personal experiences. They have different hairstyles and they maybe smoke pot and they're less likely to claim the basis of their dull, prescriptive views is the Bible, but the differences between them and the stereotypical redneck on a scooter decorated with American flags and inchoate, misspelled missives are pretty much cosmetic.

ETA: Oh, shit. Topic. They probably like frito pies and green bean casseroles?
Thanks, from:
Ari (02-19-2017), BrotherMan (02-19-2017), But (02-19-2017), Crumb (02-19-2017), JoeP (02-19-2017), Kamilah Hauptmann (02-19-2017), Sock Puppet (02-23-2017), Stormlight (02-20-2017), The Lone Ranger (02-19-2017), The Man (02-19-2017), Watser? (02-19-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 04:54 PM
Fishy mokey

Bill Maher is a hardcore Muslimhater, don't let anybody tell you different.
Ari (02-19-2017), BrotherMan (02-19-2017), Kamilah Hauptmann (02-19-2017), Stormlight (02-20-2017), The Lone Ranger (02-19-2017), The Man (02-19-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 05:54 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
ETA: Oh, shit. Topic. They probably like frito pies and green bean casseroles?
Oh no. I like frito pies and green bean casseroleses.
Thanks, from:
Ari (02-19-2017), lisarea (02-19-2017), Stormlight (02-20-2017), The Man (02-19-2017), Watser? (02-19-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 06:47 PM
here to bore you with pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
Given that he's gay (and a cross dresser too, or was that just for "shock"?)
I don't think it's cross-dressing as much as being flashy and extravagant.

I watched the whole thing, and the better line from Larry Wilmore is not the "fuck off" line, but when Milo says that the extreme left and the extreme right hate him, and Larry says something like, "You're leaving a lot of people out."
Thanks, from:
Kamilah Hauptmann (02-19-2017), The Lone Ranger (02-19-2017), The Man (02-19-2017), Watser? (02-19-2017)
Old 05-24-2018, 10:30 AM
Mr. Condescending Dick Nose

:emostein: It's necroposting time!

I've just discovered this Michael Pollon dude who has a refreshing take on the "Corporate greed is killing us" message and (it seems to me) talks a lot of sense.

His main take away point: healthy food is not about the nutrients or the calories: to eat healthily, eat food that is cooked for you by a human being not by a corporation.

Last edited by mickthinks; 05-24-2018 at 10:44 AM.
Thanks, from:
Ari (05-25-2018), lisarea (05-29-2018)

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law