Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Lifestyle

Old 03-06-2017, 03:43 AM
rude, crude, lewd, and unsophisticated

Default Re: Do NOT skip your yearly check-ups ...

Believe it or not, the dizziness is a common side effect with the medications. And yes, talk to your physician ASAP about adjusting.
Angakuk (03-06-2017), The Lone Ranger (03-06-2017), The Man (03-06-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 01:59 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfry n. glad View Post
Believe it or not, the dizziness is a common side effect with the medications. And yes, talk to your physician ASAP about adjusting.
I found out the hard way that the dizzy spells that I would occasionally get were the result of my heart going Arrhythmia and not pumping blood. The first several times my defibrillator would pace me out of it and I just noticed the dizzy spell but didn't know what it meant. Then My defibrillator went off and was preceded by the same type of dizzy spell, then I knew what the other dizzy spells were all about.
Angakuk (03-08-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 02:58 PM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

Whew! I'm going down to half the original dosage, so that should hopefully take care of the hypotension -- my b.p. was down to 80/50 yesterday.

I suspect that most physicians assume that most patients won't follow their instructions, but I've been keeping to a low-sodium diet religiously, and I've lost some weight. So, my blood pressure has dropped more than (I suspect) my physician expected it to.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (03-08-2017), The Man (03-07-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 09:31 PM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

Holy smokes, TLR. You practically had the blood pressure of a giraffe. I am so grateful you lucked out with which blood vessels decided to explode on you. It bodes very well, it seems to me, that you were able to lower your bp so quickly.

I second Qingdai's point about your carb intake being a potentially bigger issue than salt or saturated fat. Odds are, the most significant change in the way you used to eat versus the school cafeteria offerings is a massive increase in carbohydrates. I bet even the vegetables are starch and sugar-heavy, like potatoes, corn, peas.

I'm relieved you're on the mend, TLR, and insist that you continue to be so. This world is terrible enough right now. We need you in it.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (03-08-2017), BrotherMan (03-07-2017), SharonDee (03-07-2017), The Lone Ranger (03-06-2017), The Man (03-07-2017), viscousmemories (03-09-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 10:57 PM

Thank you so much!

Yes, the cafeteria food is pretty-much pure starch loaded down with lots of salt and saturated fat. (Even when they do serve vegetables such as green beans, they cook them in margarine. Why? Beats me.)

So it's a very unhealthy diet at the cafeteria. I'm surprised there aren't more health concerns, honestly. An awful lot of our students (and Faculty) are grossly overweight, and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to learn that a lot of our students are already suffering from diabetes mellitus and/or hypertension.

Last year, one of our faculty members died of a stroke -- he was 2 years younger than me, and the poor-quality diet probably had a lot to do with it. And once I started asking around, it seems that most of our Faculty, even people in their early 30s, are hypertensive and/or diabetic.

So, from now on, I pretty-much go to the cafeteria for socializing only. I prepare my own meals -- mostly veggies -- with a lot less salt, simple carbohydrates, and saturated fat than what is to be found in the cafeteria food.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (03-08-2017), BrotherMan (03-07-2017), JoeP (03-07-2017), Qingdai (03-08-2017), The Man (03-07-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 05:13 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

I don't necessarily miss any single food, either by type or restaurant. (Tortilla chips and salsa as dinner is something I can't do much at all, if at all - that's my largest single thing I miss.) What I do miss, though, is the convenience of my old diet. Go anywhere and get anything - and lots of it. Even being moderately "responsible" by not ordering large or larger was still more calories (and other more bad stuff) than any average person should be eating.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (03-08-2017), livius drusus (03-08-2017), The Man (03-07-2017), viscousmemories (03-09-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 11:12 AM
Solipsist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
I'm surprised there aren't more health concerns, honestly. An awful lot of our students (and Faculty) are grossly overweight
Isn't it vaguely un-American to raise concerns about unhealthy food options? Even being thin could make you an outsider. :P

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (03-08-2017), BrotherMan (03-07-2017), The Lone Ranger (03-07-2017), The Man (03-08-2017), viscousmemories (03-09-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 04:10 PM

You jest ... but.

I and a few others have been complaining about the poor quality of the cafeteria food for some time now. And since my episode, we've stepped up our criticism and strongly suggested that they might try to improve the quality of the food -- or at least provide some decent alternatives. You know, fresh fruit, vegetables that haven't been cooked -- in margarine -- until they've lost every bit of flavor. For that matter, some vegetables other than potatoes. The option to maybe make a salad.

To no avail. The Food Committee has completely ignored us. [Maybe I shouldn't be surprised; the head of the Food Committee doesn't eat in the cafeteria; neither does the College President.] Apparently, feeding the faculty and students heavily-salted, heavily-sugared, heavily-processed, low-quality crap is a lot cheaper than providing decent food. Go figure.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (03-08-2017), Crumb (03-07-2017), JoeP (03-07-2017), The Man (03-08-2017), viscousmemories (03-09-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 12:32 AM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

Does faculty compensation include health insurance? If it does you might try making an economic argument in favor of a more healthy diet.
JoeP (03-08-2017), lisarea (03-08-2017), Qingdai (03-08-2017), The Lone Ranger (03-08-2017), The Man (03-08-2017), viscousmemories (03-09-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 05:29 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
You jest ... but.

I and a few others have been complaining about the poor quality of the cafeteria food for some time now. And since my episode, we've stepped up our criticism and strongly suggested that they might try to improve the quality of the food -- or at least provide some decent alternatives. You know, fresh fruit, vegetables that haven't been cooked -- in margarine -- until they've lost every bit of flavor. For that matter, some vegetables other than potatoes. The option to maybe make a salad.

To no avail. The Food Committee has completely ignored us. [Maybe I shouldn't be surprised; the head of the Food Committee doesn't eat in the cafeteria; neither does the College President.] Apparently, feeding the faculty and students heavily-salted, heavily-sugared, heavily-processed, low-quality crap is a lot cheaper than providing decent food. Go figure.
Salt and processing are preservatives so that the "food" lasts longer. Decent food has a much shorter shelf life. Health care be damned.
Angakuk (03-09-2017), The Lone Ranger (03-08-2017), The Man (03-08-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherMan View Post
I don't necessarily miss any single food, either by type or restaurant. (Tortilla chips and salsa as dinner is something I can't do much at all, if at all - that's my largest single thing I miss.) What I do miss, though, is the convenience of my old diet. Go anywhere and get anything - and lots of it. Even being moderately "responsible" by not ordering large or larger was still more calories (and other more bad stuff) than any average person should be eating.
Have you delved into the details of your new diet anywheres? I remember when you said your blood sugar numbers were scary and you'd changed your diet in reaction. That was last fall and the half-assed search I just did didn't find anything else since then. I'd love to hear more about your approach. I've been a tad obsessed on the subject of nutrition since my mom went low carb and I went into research mode to be sure she wasn't doing anything crazy. New thrad, mayhap?
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (03-09-2017), BrotherMan (03-08-2017), The Lone Ranger (03-08-2017), The Man (03-08-2017), viscousmemories (03-09-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 05:25 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

I will endeavor to do something later. Honest. I've been meaning to update that any way.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (03-09-2017), livius drusus (03-08-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 06:53 PM

Yeah, one of the approaches we've tried is to point out that the unhealthy food probably contributes to increased health care costs. As I mentioned, according to an informal survey, probably half or more of my colleagues are taking medication for diabetes, hypertension, or both. And the fact that one of our number died of a stroke last year while only in his 40s would raise some concerns, you'd think -- considering that the quality of his diet was almost-certainly a major contributing factor.

But the message we get is that it's a lot cheaper to use highly-processed, preservative-laden crap; it does indeed have a longer shelf life, and is dirt cheap when bought in bulk.

The other argument we get is that this is what the students want. Every day, they serve pizza and French fries. And honestly, I think that's all some of our students eat. There's one student in particular who must weigh 350 pounds or more, and every day I see her with two plates -- one is stacked high with 5 or 6 slices of pizza and the other is stacked high with French fries. And she has 2 glasses of Pepsi. If she ever consumes anything else, I've never witnessed it. And she's far from the only one; she's just the most obvious.

Yet, last semester, the college tried adding a salad bar. It was wildly popular amongst both the faculty and the students. Each day at lunch, there would be a long line to get to the salad bar (I made a point of getting there early, so I could be at or near the front of the line). But they discontinued the salad bar after just one semester. What was the stated reason? It was "too expensive" to secure the fresh vegetables.

In fairness, I don't doubt that it is a lot more expensive to provide fresh food. This region really is a "food desert," and when I do my weekend shopping, I have to drive 30+ miles to the nearest grocery store that sells halfway-fresh produce.

It's worth it, in my opinion. But I understand all too well that many of our students can't afford to do that. And even if they could afford to drive so far for decent food, they wouldn't be able to keep it, nor would they have the time or facilities to do their own cooking.

So, when they don't eat at the campus cafeteria, our students (and faculty) typically frequent the local fast food joints. Which isn't exactly a step up, of course.

The good news is that I seem to be responding well to the medication. Since the dosage was halved, my blood pressure has been staying right where it should -- it averages about 110/65. Hopefully, with continued exercise and diet, I can eliminate the pills entirely.

In the meantime, I have yet another follow-up appointment tomorrow. Hopefully, that will go as well as the last one. In the meantime, I've had my blood drawn so many times in the past few weeks that I feel like a vampire's victim. When I went in this morning to have some more blood drawn for tomorrow's exam, the nurse took one look at my arms and said, "I see we've done this before."
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (03-09-2017), BrotherMan (03-09-2017), Crumb (03-08-2017), JoeP (03-08-2017), livius drusus (03-08-2017), slimshady2357 (03-08-2017), The Man (03-08-2017), viscousmemories (03-09-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 07:14 PM

TLR, I wonder if you could scrounge up some patch of land on campus and start a vegetable garden. I'm sure it could be relevant to some of your coursework (or least you could argue as much), and depending on yield, could even feed a fair few of you.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (03-09-2017), BrotherMan (03-09-2017), Crumb (03-08-2017), JoeP (03-08-2017), slimshady2357 (03-08-2017), The Lone Ranger (03-08-2017), The Man (03-08-2017), viscousmemories (03-09-2017), Zehava (03-08-2017)
Old 03-09-2017, 01:47 AM
mesospheric bore

My local university has two community gardens.

Community Gardens - Sustainability - University of Canterbury - New Zealand
Angakuk (03-09-2017), BrotherMan (03-09-2017), livius drusus (03-09-2017), The Lone Ranger (03-09-2017), The Man (03-09-2017), viscousmemories (03-09-2017)
Old 03-09-2017, 04:28 AM
rude, crude, lewd, and unsophisticated

The Mediterranean diet is the objective all my physicians have strongly endorsed.

Olive oil.

Ouzo.
Angakuk (03-10-2017), The Man (03-09-2017)
Old 03-09-2017, 12:36 PM
Admin

Good Lord, Michael. I don't know how I've missed this thread until now but I'm sorry I did. So glad the story has a happy ending so far!
Thanks, from:
The Man (03-10-2017)
Old 03-09-2017, 02:33 PM
I'm Deplorable.

I finally got some numbers from my BP monitor, for a month or more it's been telling me that my BP was Excellent but didn't give me any numbers. I finally got the numbers 102/69 with a pulse of 62. My pulse is a little higher because my cardiologist adjusted my defibrillator to a higher number, my pulse had been in the 50's, and occasionally in the high 40's.
Angakuk (03-10-2017), The Lone Ranger (03-09-2017), The Man (03-10-2017)
Old 03-09-2017, 05:43 PM

I like the idea of a campus vegetable garden, and a colleague and I have discussed maybe trying to get something like that started. Finding a suitable plot of land will be the really tricky part, assuming we can get permission, but it's certainly worth further investigation.

I'm just back from the second follow-up with the nephrologist. He likes what he's seeing, and he says that the latest blood work shows pretty convincingly that there are no underlying kidney, pituitary, or adrenal concerns.

I'm currently taking 2 different medications for hypertension. After my pressure dropped to dangerously low levels, we halved the dosage of one of them. My pressure went back up to acceptable levels, but has been slowly dropping since. My nephrologist says that I'm dropping back into hypotension levels, so he told me to monitor my pressure over the next week or two, and if it continues to drop, we'll reduce the dosage of the other medication by half as well.

Overall though, he says that he likes what he sees, and he thinks that if I continue to remain active and I stick to a healthy diet, there's every chance I can eventually get myself off the pills entirely. For now, both my G.P. and my nephrologist are satisfied with the way that things are going, so my next follow-up isn't until May.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (03-10-2017), BrotherMan (03-10-2017), Crumb (03-09-2017), livius drusus (03-09-2017), Pan Narrans (03-09-2017), slimshady2357 (03-09-2017), Sock Puppet (03-09-2017), The Man (03-10-2017), viscousmemories (03-14-2017)
Old 03-17-2017, 02:00 PM
Clutchenheimer

I'm late to see this, TLR, but that only means my well-wishes are more carefully considered, matured, and reflective than the higgledy-piggledy benedictions you received upthread. So sorry to hear you've had this trouble and anxiety, and so happy to learn that you seem to be getting it sorted! It must have been really scary not knowing what was happening or why.

Your generous post is a good reminder to me not just to have a regular check-up, but to be honest with myself about my *current* health and dietary habits. When you have a long history of being active, it's easy to give yourself credit for life experience when you mentally review your state of health. But if it's been poutine for breakfast for the past six months, your body prolly doesn't much care about the mountain you biked up back in 2014.

If there's anything at all I can do, except of course for any of your grading, I hope you will not hesitate to get in touch. :highfive:
Angakuk (03-18-2017), BrotherMan (03-17-2017), JoeP (03-17-2017), livius drusus (03-17-2017), ShottleBop (04-17-2017), Sock Puppet (04-13-2017), The Lone Ranger (03-17-2017), The Man (04-13-2017)
Old 03-17-2017, 03:19 PM
Solipsist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Munny View Post
I'm late to see this, TLR, but that only means my well-wishes are more carefully considered, matured, and reflective than the higgledy-piggledy benedictions you received upthread.
No. You are a slacker, a ne'er do well, a SLUGABED. :P

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (03-18-2017), Clutch Munny (03-18-2017), livius drusus (03-17-2017), Sock Puppet (04-13-2017), The Man (04-13-2017)
Old 03-17-2017, 04:25 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Munny View Post
higgledy-piggledy benedictions
:piginablanket:
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (03-18-2017), Clutch Munny (03-18-2017), JoeP (03-17-2017), livius drusus (03-17-2017), Sock Puppet (04-13-2017), The Man (04-13-2017)
Old 03-17-2017, 05:20 PM

:lolhog:
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (03-18-2017), Clutch Munny (03-18-2017), Sock Puppet (04-13-2017), The Man (04-13-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 06:26 PM

And I'm just back from my latest follow-up visit. The doctor likes my numbers and the trends that he's seeing, so he's reducing my dosage again. With luck, I'll be able to wean myself off the medication entirely, in time.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (04-13-2017), BrotherMan (04-14-2017), curses (04-13-2017), Dingfod (04-13-2017), JoeP (04-13-2017), Kyuss Apollo (04-20-2017), SharonDee (05-03-2017), The Man (04-13-2017), viscousmemories (04-30-2017)

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Lifestyle