Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Computers & Technology

Old 10-01-2004, 03:45 AM
Forum Killer

Default Re: Firefox 1.0 Preview Release is out

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscousmemories
I notice it too, and I'm gonna look into it.

Another thing I noticed ;) is that when you click a smilie it always gets inserted at the bottom of a post instead of wherever your cursor is. I've just uploaded a patch from Jelsoft that's supposed to fix that. Testing now.

Grrr. Nope. Still broken.
I never noticed that anybody had ever fixed that, on any browser, at all, ever. :eek:
Old 10-01-2004, 06:26 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
Quote:
I notice it too, and I'm gonna look into it.

Another thing I noticed ;) is that when you click a smilie it always gets inserted at the bottom of a post instead of wherever your cursor is. I've just uploaded a patch from Jelsoft that's supposed to fix that. Testing now.

Grrr. Nope. Still broken.
I never noticed that anybody had ever fixed that, on any browser, at all, ever. :eek:
Here's the relevant thread over at Jelsoft's site. The fix apparently works in 3.0.0 and 3.0.3, yet we're using 3.0.1 (though of course heavily hacked) and it doesn't seem to be working.
Old 10-01-2004, 06:30 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by livius drusus
I got Firefox over the weekend and although I like many of the cool features (tabbed browsing, the dictionary/wiki/amazon search, other stuff), I can barely stand the way it loads threads. It hovers on the top post of the page for a year and then finally snaps to the most recent. Long threads take so long to load I can barely believe I'm on high speed.

Is anyone else noticing this?
Based on my own independent testing it seems that the problem isn't that Firefox renders the threads slower than IE, it's just that IE does it in the background while presenting a blank page, and Firefox shows you the thread as it's loading. Or so it seems to me, anyway.

BTW another fantastic feature of Firefox that I found this week is Sage, the integrated RSS aggregator. It's nice to have a column on the left side of my browser window in which I can instantly see the latest posts in all the fora I frequent that have RSS feeds. Like the Freethought Forum, for example. :)

Now if I could just figure out how to get our RSS feed to update more frequently, I'd be much happier...
Old 10-15-2004, 08:15 PM
mostly harmless

Sorry. Just wanted to say thanks for answering my question. I've had 1.0 PR up and running for a few weeks now with no problems!

[Cartman]
Kick ass!
[/Cartman]

Old 10-15-2004, 08:17 PM
Bad Wolf

Quote:
BTW another fantastic feature of Firefox that I found this week is Sage, the integrated RSS aggregator. It's nice to have a column on the left side of my browser window in which I can instantly see the latest posts in all the fora I frequent that have RSS feeds.
Or even blogs with RSS feeds, like www.truthspeaker.org/truth.xml Just as an example.</pimp>
Old 10-16-2004, 04:26 PM
This space is for rent

hmmm, sage doesn't find any RSS feed on FF for me :(
Old 10-16-2004, 07:29 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantonac
You have to point it to http://www.freethought-forum.com/forum/external.php
Old 10-16-2004, 07:54 PM
This space is for rent

Quote:
Quote:
You have to point it to http://www.freethought-forum.com/forum/external.php
I get some kind of xml parse error, nothing more specific as to the problem
Old 10-16-2004, 08:14 PM
Admin

Quote:
Huh. Well I don't know why that would be. It works on my desktop with no problem, and I just installed it on my laptop with no problem either. :?
Old 10-19-2004, 04:33 PM
Bad Wolf

Quote:
That usually means Sage doesn't recognize the page it's been sent to as an RSS feed. Do you have the latest update of Sage? Did you reinstall it after upgrading to Firefox 1.0PR? Are you sure you gave it the right URL?

FF's RSS feed works fine on Sage for me.
Old 10-19-2004, 05:26 PM
This space is for rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godless Dave
Quote:
That usually means Sage doesn't recognize the page it's been sent to as an RSS feed. Do you have the latest update of Sage? Did you reinstall it after upgrading to Firefox 1.0PR? Are you sure you gave it the right URL?

FF's RSS feed works fine on Sage for me.
There is clearly something wrong with my installation. I have the latest version and didn't install it until after the upgrade to 1.0. The reason I say there is something wrong with it is becase Sage saves bookmarks and when I click most, but not all of those bookmarks I get the actual code rather than a formatted page. If I use the Sage utility where it has the refresh and search functions on the page it will buld links and clicking those links works fine.
Old 10-19-2004, 05:31 PM
This space is for rent

Well, I uninstalled and reinstalled and it behaves the same.

When I point the browser to the URL VM gave I get a page that looks like this:

-
<rss version="0.91">
-
<channel>
<title>Freethought Forum</title>
<link>http://www.freethought-forum.com/forum</link>
-
<description>
The F
Old 10-19-2004, 05:34 PM

Sage? :?
Old 10-19-2004, 05:54 PM
Admin

Quote:
If I use the Sage utility where it has the refresh and search functions on the page it will buld links and clicking those links works fine.
That's how Sage works, dantonac. You can't just go to the bookmark using your browser directly or you'll see the actual XML (the equivalent of looking at the source of a web page). Sage will translate that XML into web pages but you have to use the links in the Sage bar on the left.
Old 10-19-2004, 06:21 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratoad
Sage is an RSS aggregator extension for Firefox. Many websites provide "rss feeds" for their content. For example a news site might provide a feed of the days headlines, or a forum (such as this) a feed consisting of the titles of the latest new threads. Sage provides a column on the left-hand side of your browser that shows a list of all the feeds you have configured, and when you click on each feed name it updates the info from the host website.

All vBulletin 3.0+ forums have this functionality by default. Hence you can configure Sage to deliver the latest new thread titles from the FF, IIDB, or any other vBulletin 3.0+ forum. It's a very convenient way to keep track of new threads on multiple forums without having to surf to each forum, log in, search for new threads, etc. I would personally get more value out of it if it worked for new posts instead of threads, but c'est la vie. That's the default action.
Old 10-19-2004, 06:30 PM
This space is for rent

Quote:
Quote:
If I use the Sage utility where it has the refresh and search functions on the page it will buld links and clicking those links works fine.
That's how Sage works, dantonac. You can't just go to the bookmark using your browser directly or you'll see the actual XML (the equivalent of looking at the source of a web page). Sage will translate that XML into web pages but you have to use the links in the Sage bar on the left.
I believe you, but have to question why Sage builds bookmarks for the sites then since using those bookmarks produces just the XML code.

Anyway, when on FF regardless of whether I go the the external link or the normal link when I use the Sage bar to search for feeds it doesn't find any. If I put the URL into the Sage bar directly it says Error:XML Parse Error and nothing else.

Not a big deal, it's not like you have to help me fix it, I just don't understand what could be wrong since it's a brainless install and it works for others.
Old 10-19-2004, 06:36 PM
Bad Wolf

Check the options for Sage to tell it what Bookmarks folder to use and also where to render the RSS feed. When I reinstalled it for 1.0PR it didn't list topics by default.
Old 10-19-2004, 06:43 PM

Default Re: Fire fox 1.0 Preview Release is out

Quote:
Quote:
Sage is an RSS aggregator extension for Firefox. Many websites provide "rss feeds" for their content. For example a news site might provide a feed of the days headlines, or a forum (such as this) a feed consisting of the titles of the latest new threads. Sage provides a column on the left-hand side of your browser that shows a list of all the feeds you have configured, and when you click on each feed name it updates the info from the host website.

All vBulletin 3.0+ forums have this functionality by default. Hence you can configure Sage to deliver the latest new thread titles from the FF, IIDB, or any other vBulletin 3.0+ forum. It's a very convenient way to keep track of new threads on multiple forums without having to surf to each forum, log in, search for new threads, etc. I would personally get more value out of it if it worked for new posts instead of threads, but c'est la vie. That's the default action.
Thanks :wave: Sounds like something I better check out. Being a Maxthon user the only sage I had heard of was strategic air guidance something or other, being an old flyboy and all. Oh yes, sage as a poultry seasoning :P

But seriously I better check this out, Firefox may yet convince me to desert my favourite browser
Old 10-19-2004, 06:44 PM
Admin

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I believe you, but have to question why Sage builds bookmarks for the sites then since using those bookmarks produces just the XML code.

Anyway, when on FF regardless of whether I go the the external link or the normal link when I use the Sage bar to search for feeds it doesn't find any. If I put the URL into the Sage bar directly it says Error:XML Parse Error and nothing else.

Not a big deal, it's not like you have to help me fix it, I just don't understand what could be wrong since it's a brainless install and it works for others.
I don't mind trying to help, and sorry if I came off sounding curt in my last reply because I didn't mean to. I just thought you might not understand how RSS aggregators work. To be honest I'm not sure why it creates bookmarks that don't work like normal bookmarks. I agree that it is counterintuitive.

I'm not sure what you mean about the putting an address into the "Sage bar" directly. Are you referring to the feed search bar? Because I think that only searches for known feeds that are registered somewhere. The only way to see the FF feed (that I'm aware of) is to use Options --> Manage Feed List --> New Bookmark to configure a bookmark to the FF's external.php file, then click on the new link that's created in the left hand menu to see the feed.
Old 10-19-2004, 06:47 PM
Admin

Quote:
Thanks :wave: Sounds like something I better check out. Being a Maxthon user the only sage I had heard of was strategic air guidance something or other, being an old flyboy and all. Oh yes, sage as a poultry seasoning :P

But seriously I better check this out, Firefox may yet convince me to desert my favourite browser
Glad to be of help, Socratoad. :)

You may want to PM JoeP for his opinion of Firefox or wait to see if he comments here. He's a longtime Maxthon user who recently gave Firefox a trial run, so he could probably offer a better contrast than I could.
Old 10-19-2004, 07:08 PM
This space is for rent

Quote:
The only way to see the FF feed (that I'm aware of) is to use Options --> Manage Feed List --> New Bookmark to configure a bookmark to the FF's external.php file, then click on the new link that's created in the left hand menu to see the feed.
Ah, OK that works. Other sites such as livejournal sites I just go to the site and hit the search thing and it finds and lists the feed.

Following the above instructions it works fine. Thanks! :bow:
Old 10-19-2004, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP
Quote:
I have win98se on my machine, plus the latest Mandrake10 Linux system. Although I use firefire from time to time I just cannot warm to it. I use the Maxxon browser and MYie2 before it. This is not, for me a claim that my choice is better or worse but rather having found a browser that , at least for the foreseeable future has every bell and whistle I need or want. Oh yes from time to time I try out new versions of Opera.

And what pray tell is the above gibberish about? Nothing really, except to say that with my present security firewalls and other security programs all works very smoothly.
I used Opera 5 and then 6 happily. Opera 7, though, was just too much work - they released it without all the features and the response to everything was "install the next release". I'm a techie but I get fed up with having to apply updates so often. I'll give Firefox a try one day, but will probably carry on as you describe.
Geez Joe , this getting old is a bitch (slow typing). I just sent you a PM as per advice, only to come back here to read your post, plus new onnes have been posted since :peek:

PS: I too had the same experience as you with Opera. Too bad as I really want Opera to thrive.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:18 PM
Admin

Quote:
Following the above instructions it works fine. Thanks! :bow:
Cool. Glad to be of help. :)
Old 10-19-2004, 09:46 PM
Solipsist

Quote:
Quote:

Glad to be of help, Socratoad. :)

You may want to PM JoeP for his opinion of Firefox or wait to see if he comments here. He's a longtime Maxthon user who recently gave Firefox a trial run, so he could probably offer a better contrast than I could.
Lies! Lies!
I have never used Maxthon. I have never given Firefox a trial. I don't even know her (I did not have a trial relationship with that software :innocent: ).

As you :toad: know by now, I am a long-time and still occasional Opera user. I may have given the impression that I use Maxthon, but in fact I use myIE2, the former version. I haven't installed Maxthon yet; I don't like to upgrade software too often. Even windows updates for security only piss me off; I'm sure one of the recent updates has mucked up my ability to redial if my line drops.

I have considered putting Firefox on trial. When I do, I'll be sure to report here.

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Old 10-20-2004, 09:08 AM
Admin

Huh. That's really bizarre, Joe. Where the hell did I get all these incorrect notions? :?

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Computers & Technology