Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

View Poll Results: Why do you wear what you wear?
I've got lots of money and want to show it. 0 0%
I want to impress everyone with how cool I am. 6 26.09%
I wear what is comfortable. 16 69.57%
Ditto above, and someone else picks out the colors. 1 4.35%
I'd rather not wear anything. (Include your name and address please) 0 0%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-28-2014, 04:26 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Default Re: Why do you wear what you wear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
black causal shoes
They're probably just correlative.
Thanks, from:
Adam (02-28-2014), Angakuk (03-04-2014), Ensign Steve (02-28-2014), Janet (02-28-2014), JoeP (03-07-2014), Pan Narrans (03-03-2014), Sock Puppet (02-28-2014)
Old 03-07-2014, 12:36 AM
Not drowning. Waving.

I posted this about ten years ago in another forum. The original disappeared when something went very wrong with the host's setup, along with over five months' worth of posts because the owners had never thought of backing anything up, but I just found a copy on my disc.

My youngest sister is a real bossyboots - in a kind, generous and loving way. Also, she takes exception with the way I dress. One day, when I visited her, she quickly scanned me from head to toe. A brief expression of distaste bordering on disgust flickered across her face. It couldn't have been any lack of hygiene on my part. I just had a shower, even a shave earlier in the day, and my clothes were clean. Still, it definitely was my apparel that she was affronted by.

I like to wear what's comfortable and practical. The problem with that is things that are worn in to the stage where they have reached maximum comfort also tend to reach the visibly worn out stage. So, the flannelette shirt, practical as it is with its two pockets on the chest and quick to do up and undo press studs instead of buttons felt as cosy to the skin as no other shirt I owned, of which were two. It was my favourite shirt for that reason, and I wore it all the time, and for quite a number of years. You could tell because it had become so threadbare around the shoulders that the fabric on the left hand side had started to simply separate. Thin flecks of cotton reached out to each other, trying to bridge the gap created when other bits of small, flimsy fragments had become detached from the main body of my lovely shirt. Two of the press studs had also lost their willingness to stay together, Other than that, and the somewhat frayed edges of the sleeves I suppose, there was absolutely nothing wrong with it.

The jeans were really nice too. They were not tight, nor too floppy. Over the years they had become perfectly moulded to my the shape of my body. It had four spacious pockets too, which comes in handy for someone who tends to fill them with things that may come in useful somewhere soon. They did have a rip across the left knee, but it wasn't a big one yet, and anyway, people actually bought brand new pants with factory-fitted rips, holes and tears at that time. I could pass mine off as a fashionable feature. The back of the hem at the bottom of the legs had of course been bitten away a long time ago, victims of getting trapped between my heels and the ground. There also was a mark that cannot be removed by any means whatsoever. It's polyester resin that I accidentally spilled when I was glassing a surfboard in the backyard. That's what I call "clean dirt" though, totally inert.

My, shoes, well there were none. I avoid wearing shoes whenever I can, so I'm not sure if I even owned a pair of them at that, apart from the steel capped clodhoppers required at work, but I have plenty of thongs. I buy several identical pairs at a time. That way I don't need to throw both thongs out when one of them breaks. That cuts down on waste. It also causes me to walk around with thongs that are identical, yes, but one being conspicuously less worn than the other.

Although my sister has made her displeasure in regard to my couture known on many previous occasions, this time she's had enough. "Come with me," she snapped in atone that would clearly brook no resistance. I followed. So did the nieces. They foresaw entertainment. My sister headed into her bedroom and opened the wide doors to her huge walk-in wardrobe that she shared with her husband. The nieces hopped onto the commode, feet well off the ground. Absolute front row. Only the popcorn was missing.

"Take this off," said my sister, as her index finger reached into the hole at the back of my shoulder, then moved down. There was a hardly audible sound of material ripping. The nieces giggled. MY SHIRT! MY LOVELY, BEAUTIFUL SHIRT. IT'S DEAD NOW! I had no choice but to remove from my body whatever bits had not already left. To make sure that I wasn't somehow tempted to wear it later on in an act of defiance, she picked it up, threw it to her daughters and said: "Make cleaning up rags." They got stuck into making smallish rectangles with great enthusiasm. Even though they were still some way before becoming teenagers, their little hands had no difficulty performing the job.

My sister strode into the wardrobe and perused her husband's collection of shirts. "He doesn't need this any more," she announced. "Try it on," she said as it flew towards me. I must admit, it was very comfortable right from the start. The fact that my brother in law is somewhat taller and a bit wider than I probably helped. "Take those pants off," she said in a tone that suggested they probably needed to be disinfected before anybody can safely handle them. I heard another "He doesn't need this any more," as a pair of brown trousers arrived via air express. They turned out to be a couple of inches too long, but I did notice they had four pockets. "I'll take them up before you go home," said my sister. "Shoes. He doesn't need these any more." Clonk. A very solid looking pair landed in front of me, followed by a pair of thick, woollen socks, which my brother in law was obviously also not in need of any more. I rolled the bottom of my trousers up and tried them on. They too turned out to be amazingly comfortable. The facts that someone else had already worn them in for me, and that they were a size too large, probably helped.

Job done and the nieces having finished giggling, it was time to go back downstairs and recover from all this hard work with a cup of coffee. Just then, my brother in law walked in. I can't remember if he had been cleaning the pool or building another ingenuous gizmo using nothing but bits he found about the place, a well developed ability to improvise and a "that works, so that's close enough" attitude. No matter. he greeted me, totally unaware that I was decked out neck to toe in what was until a few minutes ago his gear. Actually, I was not all that aware of it either until I undressed at home. Must have been in denial until then, I suppose, but fortunately PTSD did not follow.

"He doesn't need this any more" became a bit of a refrain in the next few years. My little sister is like that. Oh, and in case anybody wonders about the ease with which she gives away other people's property, let me mention that she probably paid for most, perhaps all of it.
Thanks, from:
Dingfod (03-07-2014), Janet (03-07-2014), LadyShea (03-26-2014), lisarea (03-07-2014), Qingdai (03-08-2014), Saxatilis (03-27-2014)
Old 03-08-2014, 01:47 AM
Dissonance is its own reward

I wear what I wear because it's black. We're literally talking over 90% of my entire wardrobe here. People have been calling me Johnny Cash for, damn, 20 years now?

Even my work uniform is all black - the only thing that isn't is the small white company logo and text on the black patch on the black jacket.

Some of our more frequent customers (I drive a medical/disability cab) talk about how the men in black have come to take them away.
Ari (04-17-2014), Janet (03-19-2014), LadyShea (03-26-2014), Saxatilis (03-27-2014)
Old 03-25-2014, 12:22 AM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

I just poasted in Gender just a few minutes ago, so I decided to put this here instead, because it's also about reasons people wear what they wear:

First Boi In – Dressing Queer in the Corporate World | Media Diversified
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (03-25-2014), Janet (03-28-2014), ShottleBop (03-25-2014)
Old 03-25-2014, 04:44 PM
California Sober

I'm so glad you bumped this thread today of all days! I'm wearing heinous floral-print jeggings from Target with brown boots and a cowl-neck sweater that is one of the colors from the pants. Teal color, I mean. #teamleggingsaretoopants

I was going to wear jeans and a t-shirt that says "I program my own video games" but I have to substitute teach today and I didn't want to appear unprofessional. :lol:
Demimonde (03-25-2014), Janet (03-28-2014), LadyShea (03-26-2014), livius drusus (03-26-2014)
Old 03-25-2014, 07:05 PM
(((The Spartacus of Anatevka)))

I am wearing black jeans, a rainbow-striped button-down shirt I bought from Land's End 20 years ago, a navy sweater vest, and black Earth shoes.

And black socks.
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (03-25-2014), Janet (03-28-2014), LadyShea (03-26-2014)
Old 03-26-2014, 01:23 AM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (03-26-2014)
Old 03-26-2014, 09:20 PM
A fellow sophisticate

I'm wearing a black t-shirt, black sweat pants, black jacket, and black shoes. Never know, I might be a ninja, a really big fat ninja.
Ensign Steve (03-26-2014), Janet (03-28-2014), LadyShea (03-27-2014), Megatron (04-05-2014), Saxatilis (03-27-2014), Stormlight (04-25-2014)
Old 03-26-2014, 09:49 PM
Flipper 11/11

Just be careful when crossing the street at night!

Like to download a copy of my book, The Advent of Dionysus? . . . It's free! :whup:
Thanks, from:
Dingfod (03-27-2014), Ensign Steve (03-26-2014), Janet (03-28-2014), Saxatilis (03-27-2014), Stormlight (04-25-2014)
Old 03-27-2014, 08:26 PM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingfod View Post
I'm wearing a black t-shirt, black sweat pants, black jacket, and black shoes. Never know, I might be a ninja, a really big fat ninja.
Today I am wearing my regular week-day work clothes: blue jeans, long sleeved shirt, etc., etc., etc.

Howsomever, a few days back I was lounging around the house in a pair of black Duluth Trading company "No Good Lazy Cotton Jersey Drawstring Pants", a black Duluth Trading company "Longtail T Shirt" and a pair of black "Dr. Scholl's Men's Brisk Sneakers". All of this was layered over a pair of black Duluth Trading Company "Men's Free Range Cotton Boxer Briefs", a black Duluth Trading Company "Men's Free Range Cotton Tank Top and pair of black socks of unknown manufacture.

My wife had just recently indulged in an online shopping spree at, you guessed it, the Duluth Trading Company. She also ordered a black " Short Sleeve No Polo Shirt with Pocket" a black "Men's Firehose Presentation Jacket" and a black "Men's Lightweight Working Man's Utility Vest", but a guy can only stand to wear so many garments while lounging about the house.
BrotherMan (03-27-2014), Janet (03-28-2014)
Old 03-27-2014, 08:32 PM
A fellow sophisticate

I'm going to get myself some of those firehose pants.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:43 PM
California Sober

:bunnythrust:
Dingfod (03-27-2014)
Old 03-27-2014, 09:00 PM
rude, crude, lewd, and unsophisticated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk View Post
Quote:
Today I am wearing my regular week-day work clothes: blue jeans, long sleeved shirt, etc., etc., etc.

Howsomever, a few days back I was lounging around the house in a pair of black Duluth Trading company "No Good Lazy Cotton Jersey Drawstring Pants", a black Duluth Trading company "Longtail T Shirt" and a pair of black "Dr. Scholl's Men's Brisk Sneakers". All of this was layered over a pair of black Duluth Trading Company "Men's Free Range Cotton Boxer Briefs", a black Duluth Trading Company "Men's Free Range Cotton Tank Top and pair of black socks of unknown manufacture.

My wife had just recently indulged in an online shopping spree at, you guessed it, the Duluth Trading Company. She also ordered a black " Short Sleeve No Polo Shirt with Pocket" a black "Men's Firehose Presentation Jacket" and a black "Men's Lightweight Working Man's Utility Vest", but a guy can only stand to wear so many garments while lounging about the house.
Geez...all that black. All you'd need do would add a Roman collar and you could pass for some kind of hierophant.

Oh, wait...

Nevermind.
Angakuk (03-28-2014), Janet (03-28-2014)
Old 03-28-2014, 06:43 PM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

At home today so not up to my usual sartorial standards. I'm wearing navy knit yoga pants and a hot pink shirt with 3/4 length sleeves and really cute bamboo socks in navy with blue and green flowers.
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (03-28-2014)
Old 03-28-2014, 07:52 PM
A fellow sophisticate

BrotherMan (03-28-2014), Ensign Steve (03-29-2014), Janet (03-29-2014)
Old 03-28-2014, 08:09 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

She sounds hideous.
Thanks, from:
Dingfod (03-28-2014), Ensign Steve (03-29-2014)
Old 04-16-2014, 12:52 AM
Dissonance is its own reward

I'm sure this won't come as a shock, but I'm wearing black pants and a black t-shirt from a Deicide show last year :P

I went out to the store earlier and was also wearing black shoes :P
Old 04-16-2014, 03:12 PM
A fellow sophisticate

Again.
Ensign Steve (04-16-2014)
Old 04-16-2014, 04:16 PM
(((The Spartacus of Anatevka)))

Duluth Trading Company brownish plaid shirt, black Kirkland jeans, Duluth Trading Company velcro-closure black belt, dark brown Costco socks and brown Timberland boat shoes.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:26 PM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

I do not match today. I am wearing blue but my blue shoes hurt my scar even without the new orthotics so I have to wear black shoes. I'm so ashamed. :paperbag:
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (04-17-2014)
Old 04-17-2014, 02:47 AM
I'm Deplorable.

I normally don't wear T-Shirts, but I could make an exception, if I were to buy one with the quote, "I See Stupid People".
Old 04-17-2014, 03:40 AM
A fellow sophisticate

Why, did you see yourself in a mirror?
Old 04-17-2014, 03:57 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Why, did you see yourself in a mirror?
No, I don't see anything when I look in a mirror.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:54 AM

My sense of self dictates why I wear what I wear. It is a want, need, or desire, to fulfill, accomplish, or achieve with my choices in clothing. :atom:
Old 04-20-2014, 06:02 AM
A fellow sophisticate

Anastasia Beaverhausen (04-20-2014), ShottleBop (04-26-2014)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy