Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law

Old 02-25-2014, 11:17 PM
puzzler

Default Re: Universal Renewable Energy: Suitable Substitute for Morning Sex?

While out for a walk the other day, I saw a couple of engineers installing a solar powered speed warning sign. You see quite a few of these things in the UK: they measure the speed of approaching cars using doplar radar and display the speed in big red numbers and attempt to shame speeding drivers - this sort of thing:

So I asked them a few questions about the system. One interesting thing they told me was that the preferred direction to face the solar panel, assuming it is not affected much by the shadows of trees or buildings, is south east. I asked them, 'why not south?'

They said there is plenty of power available during the day, even when the panel isn't facing the sun, but the batteries run down overnight and it's important to catch as much morning sunlight as possible to boost the batteries back up to full charge.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:26 PM
Stoic Derelict... The cup is empty

If electric vehicles were more common, then a good deal of PV storage could go into day time recharging of EV's, while they were parked at work. This would keep existing utilities busy with their normal load while reducing need for liquid transportation fuels.
Adam (02-26-2014), ceptimus (02-26-2014)
Old 02-27-2014, 03:35 PM

Peugeot says they can make a hybrid using compressed air that could get 100+ mpg by 2020. That would be great. The initial reports on the Tata Motors of India compressed air car looked promising, but sort of fizzled over time. Can Peugeot do it? It's supposed to go to market next year.

Peugot reveals plans for Hybrid Air to hit streets next year | Mail Online
Quote:
Air power would be used solely for city use, automatically activated below 43mph and available for ‘60 to 80 per cent of the time in city driving’. By 2020, the cars could be achieving an average of 117 miles a gallon, the company predicts.
The air compression system can re-use all the energy normally lost when slowing down and braking. The motor and a pump are in the engine bay, fed by a compressed air tank underneath the car, running parallel to the exhaust.
Crumb (02-27-2014)
Old 02-27-2014, 04:39 PM
A fellow sophisticate

Old news on the hybrid front: United Parcel Service (UPS) has hydraulic hybrid delivery vans. Why hydraulic? A gas/electric hybrid is able to recover about 30% of the energy from braking, but a hydraulic system can capture about 70% of the energy. What they use their vans for is perfect for hybrid drive, with all the stopping and starting. The EPA estimates the vans pollute 40% less than their non-hybrid counterparts, and they could save the company $50,000 over the life of the vehicle life.

Sidenote: I predict hybrid air will be a flop.
ceptimus (02-27-2014), Crumb (02-27-2014), Janet (02-27-2014), JoeP (03-03-2014), SR71 (02-27-2014)
Old 02-27-2014, 05:00 PM
puzzler

The hydraulic van article contains some prize bullshit about hydraulic hybrids not being suitable if a vehicle radio is required.

I know that some electric items in vehicles consume lots of electricity - heated screens, headlamps, some air conditioning systems and power steering systems, fans, ... - but a car radio? The average car radio would run for days maybe weeks without running down the average car battery.

When I spot a glaring mistake like this in an article, it makes me wonder how much of the rest of the article is bullshit - but bullshit that I'm not expert enough to detect.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:28 PM
puzzler

Compressed air energy storage systems are pretty inefficient (~25%) unless they are able to retain the heat generated when the air is compressed. Some systems try to capture the heat in a heat exchanger - and then warm the air back up again when it flows from the storage tank to the motor. Some systems just try to store the hot air.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:28 PM
A fellow sophisticate

The article may be mostly bullshit, but it was the first one I found when I googled what I knew already, that UPS has hydraulic hybrid delivery vans.
SR71 (02-27-2014)
Old 02-27-2014, 05:33 PM
A fellow sophisticate

That said, the article on the Peugeot above look to me they show a hydraulic hybrid rather than a compressed air hybrid, the tank at the rear being the reservoir, and the lengthwise cylinder, the accumulator. Note the hydraulic pump attached to the engine.

I think it's deceptive to call it "air-powered", as the gas in the "reservoir" could be nitrogen or any inert gas.
SR71 (02-27-2014)
Old 02-27-2014, 05:36 PM
puzzler

And the hybrid vans may be very good - providing they are reliable and don't have high maintenance costs.

A friend of mine works as a bus/coach engineer and he says that the hybrid buses he has to work on are a disaster. They use just as much fuel as the conventional buses, but are always breaking down.

In theory a bus which never travels at very high speeds and is constantly stopping and starting is a perfect candidate for a hybrid drive system, but (at least on the types he works on) the technology hasn't yet developed to the point where it even makes sense in terms of fuel efficiency, let alone overall lifetime cost per passenger mile.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:44 PM
A fellow sophisticate

The ideal use of a hybrid is like those buses that run up and down 16th street in downtown Denver. They were running hydraulic hybrids there back in the late 90s. The buses don't go very fast and stop several times in every block.

Note: RTD is using electric-hybrid buses now. That might be very telling.
ceptimus (02-27-2014), SR71 (02-27-2014)
Old 02-27-2014, 05:48 PM
puzzler

They were running buses with flywheel energy storage in Switzerland and Belgium back in the 1950s.

But all those buses were eventually scrapped or consigned to museums - the conventional diesel bus made much more commercial sense.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:28 PM

I agree that compressed air doesn't seem to be the ideal storage method. Losses at every stage. Unless there were lots of wind turbines at very low cost expressly to compress the air, seems like the economics would be unfavorable.

Tesla wants to jump into the battery arena, at 5 billion. They are talking about general storage, but I tend to agree with that info sheet from Case Western, regarding caps vs batteries. For stationary installations, power density isn't important, cost per stored kWh is important. Still, at this point, lithium batteries seem to be what's available off the shelf, in practical terms. It really would be nice to see EV's come to market at competitive price, though, with a reasonable range for the commuter. Perhaps a mega battery fab will help with that.
ceptimus (02-27-2014), Crumb (02-27-2014)
Old 03-20-2014, 06:00 PM

Here is a :tealdeer: for any but the staunchest alt-e fanboy. They really get at the heart of the matter. The alt players are looking less like helpless little bunnies and more like hungry stalking wolves.

Carbon Crash Solar Dawn

Quote:
So when we see the price of solar plunge at extraordinary speed and watch it’s deployment swing like a wrecking ball through the utility sector, we should acknowledge it’s going to have more impact on the human system response to climate change than the terrifying acceleration of the melting of the Arctic.
And when I say wrecking ball I probably understate it. As this excellent overview from Stephen Lacey at Greentech Media explains, the utility sector now faces a “death spiral”, and it’s likely many of them won’t make it. This is not a theoretical future crisis – growth in renewables is the prime reason the top 20 European utilities have lost $600 billion (no, not a typo!) in value over the past 5 years. That’s what the financial carbon bubble bursting in a sector looks like – ugly and messy – and there’s many more to come.
The utility death spiral is a great example of system complexity that is simple to understand. Solar energy costs have plummeted – so far that in most places you can get electricity cheaper from your own solar panels than you can from a utility. The impact on the grid of people doing so at scale is to lower the overall cost of electricity generation by reducing both peak demand (and so peak pricing) and lowering volume. Utilities are then stuck with expensive physical assets, less sales and lower margins, so they need to increase either the cost per unit of power or impose grid connection charges to customers. But doing either gives customers more motivation to leave the utility – thus the death spiral.
swears for this post: suitable substitute, sunk cost
ceptimus (03-21-2014), Crumb (03-20-2014), The Lone Ranger (05-25-2014), The Man (03-20-2014)
Old 03-23-2014, 06:08 PM

Here is a Chinese hybrid EV with 70k electric range for about $35K US. Sales are off to a good start. It's being sold in Costa Rico as well as China. Cars like this seem almost a sensible choice. Lots of drivers have a daily commute in that range of distance, but you can still use it for longer trips if you like. I find the styling fairly attractive.
The Lone Ranger (05-25-2014)
Old 03-23-2014, 06:29 PM

I've been reading a lot about stacked solar cells recently. The general idea is to dope the layers with different materials in order to convert different wavelengths of light on each layer. The model in this article purports to use the various precious doping agents efficiently by using a matrix of small dots and focusing light on them with a sort of micro fresnel lenses, from what I can gather. Hopes for 50% efficiency and cheaper than coal!

Solar energy: Stacking the deck | The Economist

Quote:
Semprius’s panels are now being tested at 14 sites around the world. How much they will cost to make when manufacturing is running at full tilt is not yet clear, but Dr Rogers said that Siemens, a big German firm which is one of Semprius’s investors, reckons that they have the potential to produce cheaper electricity than coal-fired generators can. Solar energy obviously cannot replace fossil fuels completely until the problem of banking some of what is collected during the day, for use at night, is solved. But at this sort of cost it can make a useful (and unsubsidised) contribution.
I take issue with that last bit. Wouldn't it seem that a sufficient number of EV's would present quite a large storage capacity for alt energy? After all, they can be recharged daylight or night, assuming they discharge on both legs during a round trip to work for enough commuters. Seems a safe assumption. I could even imagine power sloshing back and forth between a large enough pool of vehicles and power distribution networks to help provide base load when needed for other purposes. Perhaps control signals coud ride on top of the power feed? Idk, it would be quite complicated, but does not seem insurmountable to me.
ceptimus (03-23-2014), The Lone Ranger (05-25-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 12:04 AM
A fellow sophisticate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR71 View Post
Here is a Chinese hybrid EV with 70k electric range for about $35K US. Sales are off to a good start. It's being sold in Costa Rico as well as China. Cars like this seem almost a sensible choice. Lots of drivers have a daily commute in that range of distance, but you can still use it for longer trips if you like. I find the styling fairly attractive.
I just about guarantee that this Chinese car is a total piece of shit that will catch fire routinely. From the description it sounds like it's a possible patent violation of Chevy Volt's drivetrain, the country being a great respecter of international patents, trademarks, and copyrights. I also seriously doubt the performance claim of 0-60 mph in 5.9 seconds. That's the acceleration of the 350 horsepower LS1 powered Pontiac GTO (Holden Manaro). This very pro-BYD Qin article says 0-62 mph (0-100 kph) in 6.9 seconds, which is likely a more reasonable claim, and puts in the moderately high performance compact class. It also says they plan to enter the U.S. market later this year or next. Good luck with that.
The Lone Ranger (05-25-2014)
Old 03-30-2014, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR71 View Post
Here is a :tealdeer: for any but the staunchest alt-e fanboy. They really get at the heart of the matter. The alt players are looking less like helpless little bunnies and more like hungry stalking wolves.

Carbon Crash Solar Dawn ...
Rooftop solar panels are good for buildings 1 or 2 stories high, but not much more than that, because there will be too many electricity users per unit roof area. So rooftop solar panels' competition with electric-power companies will be somewhat limited.

Other forms of renewable energy generation are more friendly to the traditional business models of electric companies, because they involve more centralized generation and generation away from the customers. Wind turbines are an obvious one, since the successes with them have been obtained with very large ones, and since they have to be located in very windy areas.

So for these two reasons, there will still be a place for such companies.
Thanks, from:
SR71 (03-30-2014)
Old 03-30-2014, 11:49 AM
A fellow sophisticate

Out here in Flatlandia, there aren't all that many buildings taller than two or three stories high, and lots of sunshine, so solar panels on the roof make sense.
SR71 (03-30-2014)
Old 03-30-2014, 01:07 PM

And lots of wind. Odds are if one isn't going, the other is.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:58 PM
A fellow sophisticate

Often both. A few days ago, wind generators in Texas generated 1/3 of all the electricity used in the state.

Texas wind power generates 10,000 MW to breeze past old record - Dallas Business Journal
Old 03-30-2014, 06:01 PM

New York Times article on Cape Wind and Bill Koch :: Cape Wind :: America's First Offshore Wind Farm on Nantucket Sound William Koch is a lesser-known brother of right-wing moneybags Charles and David Koch, but he has a lot in common with them. He's been putting a lot of money into the NIMBY effort, but it seems to be failing.

ALso, Cape Wind Response: Bill Koch's Economic Arguments -- Cape Wind :: America's First Offshore Wind Farm on Nantucket Sound

Isn't it awful when the Kennedys are on the same side of the issue as the Kochs?

Also, Cape Wind secures $400 million in financing - Business - The Boston Globe
Quote:
Cape Wind said Wednesday several financial companies have committed to providing $400 million to help finance the offshore wind project slated to be built in Nantucket Sound. That means Cape Wind has raised $1.3 billion, roughly half of the project’s estimated $2.5 billion cost.
Thanks, from:
SR71 (04-16-2014), The Lone Ranger (05-26-2014), The Man (05-25-2014)
Old 05-25-2014, 06:12 PM

Oh, how the Kochs hate the wind. They try to talk Kansas out of using their own well known wind resource by telling Kansans how expensive it is. Problem is, they lie about it.

Keep battling Koch Industries and its allies to deliver clean, renewable energy - KansasCity.com

Quote:
Have you heard the threatening line that renewables are causing the price of electricity to skyrocket?

That’s not happening. But it is the main scare story being used in state after state to pressure legislators to jettison their renewable energy standards.

In spring, Kansas lawmakers said the state’s standard had caused rates to rise about 40 percent in recent years. Wrong. The Kansas Corporation Commission noted that the cost of the renewable mandate actually accounted for about 1/50th of the cost of a kilowatt hour.

So what was the prime driver behind the higher bills in Kansas? The cost of coal had gone up, and Kansas is addicted to the dirty fuel. It accounts for about 60 percent of the electricity generated in the state versus less than 40 percent for the nation.

Read more here: Keep battling Koch Industries and its allies to deliver clean, renewable energy - KansasCity.com
Even coal is getting more expensive. Coal is no different from other fossli fuels, the easy resources are taken first.

There is still the problem that wind turbines ruin the scenery, though.
Adam (05-28-2014), Angakuk (06-01-2014), Crumb (05-25-2014), Janet (05-28-2014), JoeP (05-27-2014), Kael (05-26-2014), lisarea (06-07-2014), Pan Narrans (05-25-2014), The Lone Ranger (05-25-2014), The Man (05-25-2014), Watser? (05-27-2014)
Old 05-26-2014, 04:09 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

Here is an idea: Company Explores Possibilities of Solar Power - Atlanta Black Star

It would be really cool if that would work.
Dingfod (05-27-2014), Janet (05-28-2014), JoeP (05-27-2014), SR71 (05-26-2014), The Man (05-27-2014), Watser? (05-27-2014)
Old 05-26-2014, 04:33 PM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

That sounds freakin' awesome! Why the heck isn't the Department of Transportation setting up a few test roads?
Thanks, from:
Janet (05-28-2014), The Man (05-27-2014)
Old 05-27-2014, 06:42 AM
Safety glasses off, motherfuckers

Urine-powered generator unveiled at international exhibition | The Sideshow - Yahoo News

Quote:
Four African girls have created a generator that produces electricity for six hours using a single liter of urine as fuel.

“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith

last.fm · my music · Marathon Expanded Universe
Thanks, from:
Adam (05-28-2014), Janet (05-28-2014), JoeP (05-27-2014), Kael (05-27-2014), lisarea (06-07-2014), SR71 (05-27-2014), The Lone Ranger (05-27-2014), Watser? (05-27-2014)

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law