Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium

Old 07-17-2009, 05:09 AM
professional left-winger

Default Re: What's up with you?

Half-Price Books only gave me about $32 for all those books. They are paying less and less these days.

My car repair was more than I would liked to have spent, but I guess it could have been worse.

I think I will probably be having a root canal tomorrow. I was gonna spend that money on new gutters for the house.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:44 AM
Done

Canals :justice: gutters. hmmmm Which way to go...
Old 07-17-2009, 07:49 AM
A fellow sophisticate

Same shit, different day. Lather, rinse, repeat.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:35 AM
rude, crude, lewd, and unsophisticated

Yeah?

I'm on a meds juggle. Beta blockers (for high blood pressure) kick the shit outta me. They make me feel like I've just finished too many laps...fatigued, wrung out...but I haven't done squat. I had it partially whipped by shuffling it to later in the day, but it kicked me down yesterday. Makes me cranky, too.

I hate all this shit. I feel like such a fucking lab animal. But, hey...the numbers are good.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:37 AM
the internet says I'm right

I'm going to upload my first youtube video tonight or tomorrow. Should be fun and interesting.
Old 07-18-2009, 04:44 AM
an angry unicorn or a non-murdering leprechaun

Had a yard sale today. It was 390 degrees outside, which is about what we made. :grin:

Part two tomorrow. I want lots of people to come buy my junk. My friend's junk too. We combined forces for the effort, and I will never do it any other way. She speaks Spanish beautifully and is far more gregarious IRL than I am. We hope to make enough to convert our old detached garage into an art studio for Mr. Monde. (And a play ground for my many mad cap projects.)
Old 07-18-2009, 06:57 AM
lumpy proletariat

I have too much stuff, though when I look at it it's mostly stuff I want or need. There will soon be even more books in the house and so new book shelves as well. There are already stacks on the floor and all the tables. That's just the way of it.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:46 PM
The cat that will listen

I took a car load of stuff to the thrift store today. I'm hoping I can get another car load for next week. And the week after that. And the week after that. And so on, until we do our first leg of moving.
Thanks, from:
Garnet (07-19-2009)
Old 07-18-2009, 11:40 PM
professional left-winger

Turned out I didn't need a root canal. Was still an expensive visit because the tooth had cracks, a huge filling that needed replacing, a cavity in the tooth next to it and a crown (that's the expensive bit), but a root canal usually adds quite a bit more to the bill, so it could have been worse.

We might go for hike in a rain forest next week.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:51 PM
silky...

My friend Louise just turned 40 and for her birthday I bought her a bracelet from Tiffany's. I thought her middle name was Denise and had it engraved L.D.Z. but it turns out her middle name is Janette :giggles:

So it was funny when she was opening it up, she was was ooohing and awwwing and suddenly said "Who the hell is L.D.Z.?" :laugh:
Old 07-19-2009, 12:06 AM
Guðríð the Gloomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildernesse View Post
I took a car load of stuff to the thrift store today. I'm hoping I can get another car load for next week. And the week after that. And the week after that. And so on, until we do our first leg of moving.
I really need to do this.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:02 AM
ninja mother

Malloch is probably getting out of the Guard in September. If not he would be leaving for more training around my due date and deploying next August and with the baby on the way and trying to get a career started in the civilian world, we decided it's probably just not something he/we wanted to continue right now. Plus 8 years of Army crap has us both at our breaking points :mutter: It's not totally set in stone yet but I'd say it's about 95% certain.

Don't make me break out my ninja powers..

:llamaninja:
Thanks, from:
Caligulette (07-19-2009), Ensign Steve (07-19-2009), JoeP (07-19-2009), Smilin (07-22-2009)
Old 07-19-2009, 02:22 AM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

A week ago last Tuesday I got to be a Church of Christ pastor. Last Saturday I was a Lutheran pastor again. This past Tuesday I was a Methodist. Today I got to be a Lutheran again. What that means is that in one week I had three funerals and today I had a wedding. The first funeral was for a member of the Church of Christ (they don't have a resident pastor at present). The second was at a neighboring Lutheran church which is also without a resident pastor. The third funeral was at a local Methodist church (their pastor was on vacation). Today I had a wedding, in one of my own churches. Tomorrow I have a baptism and on Monday I have a graveside funeral service scheduled. These last two are for my own church.

Also, during the week that everyone seemed to be busy dying, I had Vacation Bible School. For awhile there it almost felt like I had real job. You know, as opposed to just working one morning a week.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:56 AM
the internet says I'm right

So, Ang, does that mean of the Lutheran church ends up being the right one you'll be ok because you were a Lutheran a few times? Or will you be condemned because you were a Methodist for a bit there?
Old 07-19-2009, 05:28 AM

It is not something I worry about, even a little bit.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk View Post
A week ago last Tuesday I got to be a Church of Christ pastor. Last Saturday I was a Lutheran pastor again. This past Tuesday I was a Methodist. Today I got to be a Lutheran again. What that means is that in one week I had three funerals and today I had a wedding. The first funeral was for a member of the Church of Christ (they don't have a resident pastor at present). The second was at a neighboring Lutheran church which is also without a resident pastor. The third funeral was at a local Methodist church (their pastor was on vacation). Today I had a wedding, in one of my own churches. Tomorrow I have a baptism and on Monday I have a graveside funeral service scheduled. These last two are for my own church.

Also, during the week that everyone seemed to be busy dying, I had Vacation Bible School. For awhile there it almost felt like I had real job. You know, as opposed to just working one morning a week.
Whoa...So there are definite thespian tendencies amongst the clergy? If, for no other reason, to pull off a reasonable facsimile for the guy who's gonna pull the fat outta the fire when you come down with the galloping squirties (or whatever) or go for a quick hike on the Argentine Trail. So, how much do you have to know of the other denomination's woo-woo in order to 'pass'? Do you all leave a binder with instructions, basic dos and don'ts, a set of contact numbers, and a generic sermon, like teachers leave substitutes? Are any of the attendees at weddings or funerals any the wiser? Do you have actual 'regular parishioners' catch you out whilst you're role playing?

And...When the poor parishioner gets to their destination, do they have to wait longer because of the denominational confusion? Are the weddings really legit? I mean, will the Methodist god accept work done by some scab Lutheran minister? What does the Lutheran god think about all this 'stepping out' on the One True Doctrine? Or is this a inside joke thing amongst clergy? All the ones who aren't really 'married in the church'?

And where do you stop...."You don't understand, I was just standing in for the high priestess whilst she was on maternity leave. Lords help...ahem, Lord help us if you can't tell a ritual pelvic thrust from adolescent gyrations. Especially because I'm hardly an adolescent. So...I'll see you at church on Sunday, right?"

Last edited by godfry n. glad; 07-19-2009 at 08:00 AM.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:02 AM

Hey, Ang...The call is in. How are you with snakes?
Old 07-19-2009, 08:12 AM

Definite thespian tendencies, not even latent. Some years ago I appeared in a local dinner theater production. A number of my parishoners expressed some surprise at my acting skills. I told them that they really shouldn't have been too surprised, as I had been successfully playing the role of their pastor for several years.

Yes, the people in the pew are fully informed of the fact that the substitute normally plays for one of the other teams. Full disclosure, doncha know.

As far as the funerals go, when you're dead, you're dead. I think the general rule is that it was what you did before you died that matters in the end, not what was done to you after you died. The marriages are legit, as far as the state is concerned. I'm not even going to speculate on what God thinks of the whole business.

To the the best of my knowledge there are no organized congregations of Wiccans or Goddess Worshippers in the immediate locality. I guess I will just have to wait and cross that bridge when I come to it.

I get along just fine with snakes. As a general rule, if they don't bite me I won't bite them. I will, however, make an exception for the occasional fried rattlesnake filet.

My apologies if this response was inappropriately sincere.

Last edited by Angakuk; 07-20-2009 at 03:36 AM.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (07-19-2009), Smilin (07-22-2009)
Old 07-19-2009, 09:04 AM

"And pinch-preaching for them home team tonight is Anga Kuk!"

Hey...I'll bet you never get called up for the Catholics, either. I hear that takes a special touch.

Akshully, the sincerity is a welcome relief. I trust you don't mind my flippance?
Old 07-19-2009, 08:59 PM
The cat that will listen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildernesse View Post
I really need to do this.
We are allegedly working on things 15 minutes a day. And that helps. What helps more is to actually put the "going away" pile into the car and go away with it.

I'm trying to keep two bins (well one bin and one laundry basket) ready for filling during the week, and then just put them in the car on Friday night to head out on errands on Saturday morning. Do we use it, need it, or love it? If not, away it goes. I'm being pretty ruthless this time around, because I want things OUT and this house sold as quickly as possible.

I do not intend to live apart from RA for a year (again!) if I can help it.
Thanks, from:
Garnet (07-19-2009)
Old 07-19-2009, 10:33 PM
A fellow sophisticate

My Chevy needs new tires, a $350 power seat control switch, and about $3000 worth of body work. I've got no money, so none of that is going to happen.

Sprogette took a crapload of Benedryl and "passed out" for 15-16 hours, leaving her 5 year old son unattended. Her driver's license was suspended for non-payment of a seat belt violation ticket and she loaned out my Chevy to an illegal Mexican without my knowledge.

Sister Sprogina's 1998 Saturn with 101K miles on it is dying due to neglect. Her driver's license is suspended for non-payment of traffic tickets, she has no money and missed two days of work this week. At least she's living on her own now, more than I can say for Sprogette.

At least I only owe the Infernal Revenuers two thousand more dollars that I can't pay and car tags are due on Ahura Mazda.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfry n. glad View Post
Hey...I'll bet you never get called up for the Catholics, either. I hear that takes a special touch.
As a matter of fact, I have twice delivered the funeral sermon at a Catholic church, at the family's request. I did have to have the priest along to provide back-up, as they had some strange objection to my celebrating the mass. However, Monsignor did graciously allow me to hold his thurible and play with it a bit.

The only holdouts, so far, are the Baptist, Assembly of God and Evangelical Free churches.

It is simply a matter of time before they all submit to the tyrannical hegemony of my rampant ecumenism. Soon, all their base will be mine!
Adam (07-21-2009), biochemgirl (07-20-2009), BrotherMan (07-20-2009), Crumb (07-20-2009), curses (07-21-2009), Garnet (07-20-2009), godfry n. glad (07-20-2009), JoeP (07-22-2009), Kael (07-23-2009), Qingdai (07-20-2009), Smilin (07-22-2009), Sock Puppet (07-20-2009)
Old 07-20-2009, 04:05 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

In A.D. 2101
Prayer was beginning.

:picard:

:worker:

:geek:

:billcat:

Thanks, from:
Angakuk (07-20-2009), Crumb (07-20-2009), ms_ann_thrope (07-20-2009), Pan Narrans (07-20-2009), Smilin (07-22-2009)
Old 07-20-2009, 05:40 AM

O. My. Dog.

Next thing, you being doing mohel for the tips.
Caligulette (07-20-2009)
Old 07-20-2009, 05:50 AM

:butterflyknife::yup:

Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium