Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Colosseum

Old 07-02-2013, 01:45 AM
Captain #EmbraceTheImpossible

Default Re: Video Games - Watcha playin'?

Finished up Fallout: New Vegas (ultimate edition with all the expansions). I really, REALLY did not like the Sierra Madre expansion. The rest were good.

Yes it took me a long time, I kept getting bored with it when you get to the mid-20's.

Now I'm looking forward to: Shadowrun Online and Shadowrun Returns
curses (07-02-2013), Vivisectus (03-03-2014)
Old 07-22-2013, 07:32 PM
ne plus ultraviolet

I finally went and got the rest of the hardware to go with the PC tower a friend gave me, so as to have a game computer. Installed Minecraft as that is all the rage for the 8-year-old set right now and our son really wanted it. Also picked up The Binding of Isaac off of Steam.

So I am having fun with TBOI, and our son was rage-quitting and constantly asking for help with Minecraft, so suffice to say now I have gotten into Minecraft a bit; that there is a time-sucker for sure.

Our offspring plays on creative mode thankfully; I've been trying survival mode and through trial and error learned not to walk around underground with all your kit because odds are you are going to fall or get blown up or attacked by zombies or spiders or creepers or those goddamn skeleton archers and never, ever find that shit you were carrying again; and to keep spares of everything.

I have a bad sense of direction and get lost regularly, especially underground, and I've had to work on strategies to avoid that as well.

Bought Killing Floor off of Steam as well but I've only played solo a few times.

On the plus side I've pretty much stopped watching other people do play-throughs of games on you tube, so yay activity rather than passivity.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (07-22-2013), Crumb (07-22-2013)
Old 07-24-2013, 05:21 PM
Dissonance is its own reward

Binding of Isaac is a very fun game, even though it can be goddamn frustrating when you start out. Especially if you install the expansion before having made significant progress in the vanilla game - this essentially gives you all the negatives of the expansion (tougher enemies mostly) without having the items unlocked to properly deal with them.

I made that mistake and it was a hell of a grind to get as much shit unlocked as I have at this point.

Also, if you like the game, there's a fun thing that happens every week: The Binding of Isaac Racing League. Basically each player represents a NFL team and they have a best of three head-to-head race through the game to Mom's Heart. Week 8 just finished, and there will be playoffs at the end of the regular season that lead to the eventual BOILeR Bowl.

This is the second "season" although the first was much smaller with half the players. This time it's blown up into a huge thing, and the host, Crumps2, more or less quadrupled his regular views by starting it.

Even the game's creator has joined Crumps to commentate on a match. I will warn folks that this isn't the most kid friendly environment, though - Crumps can be rather ill-tempered, especially when people are acting like idiots in chat. That said, it's fun to watch regardless, and if you know the game well enough that you don't need the explanations he gives, you can just mute him.
chunksmediocrites (03-02-2014)
Old 08-01-2013, 05:50 PM
Captain #EmbraceTheImpossible

Shadowrun Returns

I didn't manage to get it purchased before release (July 25) and thus lost out on the 10% discount but that only amounted to $2 anyways.

If you liked the Sega Genesis or NES Shadowrun games you'll love Shadowrun Returns. The gameplay is quite similar to the older games with a 3rd person (isometric?) view.

Very fun so far and you get to meet some very famous npcs in the Shadowrun universe.
Stormlight (08-06-2013)
Old 09-18-2013, 12:30 PM
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer

I just finished a playthrough of State of Decay on the Xbox.

I think it is one of those games that you can go back to regularly because it's style and content match so well. Technically it is nothing terribly exciting: the graphics are not exactly cutting-edge, the game mechanics certainly nothing we have not seen before. Basically it is a 3rd person game that reminds you a little bit of the Grand Theft Auto titles of 5 years ago.

But all of this does not matter too much, because like all good games the mechanics, the graphics and sound are there to deliver a certain atmosphere, to hint at a world, a sort of coherent imagined whole that the players gets to live in for a little while.

For me, State of Decay does it exceptionally well.

You start off as Marcus, who has been camping with his buddy Ed, only to find himself stranded in a small valley in the middle of a zombie apocalypse. You follow Marcus and Ed as they try to survive along with other remnants of humanity.

Unlike other titles, it is not just about grabbing weapons and smashing zombie skulls, although there is plenty of that too. You quickly become part of a small community of survivors, a community that needs ammo, food, and medicine to survive. You can select different buildings to set up your home base in, and you can build different facilities in that home base to help you defend it from the zombie hordes, heal injured survivors, or repair and manufacture new weapons.

It is a sandbox game in the same general style as GTA, where you can do random missions or follow mission trails that further the main story.

It has decent voice-acting (One of the characters seems to be the chirpy research-lady from Fallout 3!) and the music, the esthetics, and the game mechanics all match nicely.

The zombies are not that strong individually, especially to a well-trained and well-tooled up survivor, but fatigue and numbers quickly wear out even the most veteran zombie-killer. Fire a gun or loudly search a building, and undead hordes can bog you down quickly.

Resources are finite, and both these and the morale of your community will need to be managed, or dire consequences follow as members leave or even commit suicide.

Another nice touch is that death, in the game, is permanent. Also, it is locked in a sort of iron-man mode: you cannot go back and load your game. Even if you lose one of your main characters, the game goes on: you simply take over a different member of your community.

There are some quibbles: the installations do not have as much impact as you'd think, the way resources are managed is not entirely clear, and most of the real danger and challenge seems implied rather than actual. But it does not hamper the essential feel of the game, I find. I would recommend giving it a spin. It is available on Xbox arcade.
Thanks, from:
Adam (09-18-2013), chunksmediocrites (03-02-2014), Stormlight (09-18-2013)
Old 09-27-2013, 09:41 PM
Servant of the Dark Lord

I've been playing Tales of Xillia for the last few weeks. I have to say it's probably one of the best JRPG's of this console generation. The combat system is a blast and the characters (even the villains, who I usually loathe) are all entirely likeable. I definitely don't regret purchasing the collector's edition.

If I have one complaint, it's the fact that it came without a manual.

Allan Glenn. 1984-2005 RIP
:countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep:
Under no circumstances should Quentin Tarantino be allowed to befoul Star Trek.
Thanks, from:
chunksmediocrites (03-02-2014), Vivisectus (10-11-2013)
Old 10-15-2013, 11:51 AM

I have acquired a new gaming rig and spend my nights wallowing in the awesome and not getting enough sleep o'nights. So far I have tried

Divinity Dragon Commander. I do not recommend it. It is a mix of RTS with turn-based campaign maps, elements of RPG and old strategy board games thrown in. The only problem is the RTS part looks like ass and does not make a whole lot of sense. Also, annoying boobs. Even the lizard-people women have enormous tits, despite the fact that they are not mammals. The only female without expansive cleavage is a frikking skeleton. Honestly.

Crysis 2: Straight up shooting mayhem with extra pretty. Good looking game so far, but the plot drags a bit at times. Why have one when it just slows the game down anyway?

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon. A shooter with levels and different weapon upgrades you can unlock. The 80's schlock is funny at times, as is the gravelly-voiced 80's action hero. This game makes me feel old.

Rome: Total war 2 I am a shameless fanboy of the total war series, and I remain so with this title. I am amazed at all the hating that seems to go on at the forums: the game runs great for me, and I like all the new mechanics. The battles look great, the campaign map is pretty, and all that griping about the UI is only applicable if you have the IQ of a stunned baboon. I have conquered Africa, Spain, half of Gaul and Greece so far and my mighty warmachine is now close to unstoppable.

Once my new flightstick arrives, I will start looking for some combat flight sims to get in to.
Thanks, from:
chunksmediocrites (03-02-2014), Stormlight (10-15-2013)
Old 10-26-2013, 05:04 AM
Servant of the Dark Lord

Is Rome: Total War 2 also an RTS? Also, does the game have a high barrier for entry on the part of newbies?

:countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep:
Old 10-26-2013, 05:34 PM
Uber TechnoKiller

Does 'C Programming' count?
Thanks, from:
chunksmediocrites (04-29-2014)
Old 02-09-2014, 03:28 AM
Servant of the Dark Lord

I am currently playing Bravely Default: Where the Fairy Flies for the Nintendo 3DS. It plays like a classic Final Fantasy, only with modern improvements. The game is a lot of fun and I have trouble putting it down.

If anyone here has Nintendo profiles and is playing this game, feel free to share them. My ID on Nintendo is MonCappy.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:47 AM
Vice Cobra Assistant Commander

I picked up Assassin's Creed 3 and 4 in a Cyber Monday sale and have been playing through them, on and off, until I finished 4 (well, I am a sucker who bought the Freedom Cry DLC for 4, so until I finished that, I guess) this past weekend.

I unreservedly love this series. I haven't played Brotherhood or Revelations, because I was sort of burned out after AC2, but the more recent numbered entries into the series completely renewed my love affair. I'm not going to bother with a wall of text, so here are the high points:

Totally dig the way AC3's story calls out the Assassins. While, in theory, their goal is to promote human freedom, and to help individuals become the best people they can be, in practice, what they mostly do is murder Templars. And they get smacked down hard for that.

On the topic of AC3's story, I was very worried going in, because it is set in the American Revolution, and I was gritting my teeth and preparing for a stupidly simplistic Assassins=Freedom=Murica! plot, which is so totally not what the game delivered. I so love that the story presents the protagonist's decision to side with the revolutionaries as the best suboptimal choice, and leaves it ambiguous whether or not it was truly the best choice.

While we're on story, AC4's is also well done. The protagonist is essentially an 18th century lolbertarian who gradually comes to realize how destructive his behavior is.

And, finally, omg, someone work out a deal between Ubisoft and Firaxis, because I cannot tell you how badly I need a Sid Meier's Pirates! remake in this engine. The absolute best part of AC4 is sailing around in your ship and taking prizes.
Thanks, from:
Stephen Maturin (02-20-2014)
Old 02-19-2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonCapitan2002 View Post
Is Rome: Total War 2 also an RTS? Also, does the game have a high barrier for entry on the part of newbies?
I never saw this question

The battles in Rome are played out in real time, all strategic decisions are turn-based. Mostly these involve moving armies and agents around, keeping track of income and public order in settlements, and building facilities in your cities.

There is not that much of a learning curve involved: compared to Europa Universalis the game is extremely simple.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:26 PM
ne plus ultraviolet

Recently I started playing Hearthstone Arena. It is still in beta, but there are few bugs and the mechanics are smooth. It's a WoW spin-off that was a physical card game briefly; but it works well on-line. You can play vs the computer, casual play, and ranked play; build custom decks or play Arena where you get to pick one of three roles, then draft a deck based on picking one of three cards offered by the computer each round for 30 rounds to build your deck.

There are some great graphics, and each minion card has its own unique line when you play it onto the field, and then when you use it to attack.

I'm enjoying this game so far. Free to install and play, with money becoming part of it if you want to play super-competitive and buy some of the more legendary cards, or if you want to play Arena all the time but haven't earned any in-game gold by beating the daily challenges. Also as you win games you get card packs of random cards; and you can turn earned cards into dust that you can use to build desired cards.

There's quite a few comparisons to Magic the Gathering apparently, but I'm not familiar; however Magic the Gathering apparently can be hella expensive for a solid deck; you could play Hearthstone competitively without spending very much (or just investing grind time).
Thanks, from:
Ari (06-23-2014), Vivisectus (03-03-2014)
Old 03-03-2014, 07:30 AM

Me and No. 1 Son are deep into Thief 4. After Xcom Yet another reboot that actually does credit to the title it reboots! This is weird.

Maybe we should all go and play Carrier Command, which was reassuringly crap.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:05 PM

Dark Souls II comes out in six days. God damn I can't wait. This is probably the most anticipation I've had for a video game in years.
Adam (03-05-2014)
Old 03-05-2014, 04:36 PM

:eager:

I am so prepared to die. I even broke down and pre-ordered it.
Thanks, from:
curses (03-06-2014), Megatron (03-06-2014)
Old 03-06-2014, 02:05 AM
Coffee, tea, anti-Nazi

die...and die and die and die. Just over and over. Maybe I'll get it. If I ever beat the first one.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
:eager:

I am so prepared to die. I even broke down and pre-ordered it.
Same here, I had to make sure I don't miss it. I didn't bother with pre-ordering the South Park game and I had to do some store hopping to even find a copy today.

Speaking of the South Park game, it's pretty damn good. Should hold me over until Tuesday.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curses View Post
die...and die and die and die. Just over and over. Maybe I'll get it. If I ever beat the first one.
If you're enjoying it, stick with it. It doesn't seem this way until you've spent some time but once you know Dark Souls it actually gets easy.

I think that's a thing they're going to remedy a little with the sequel :giggle:
curses (03-09-2014)
Old 03-06-2014, 03:35 PM

"Estimated arrival date: March 13, 2014"

FUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-15-2014, 10:43 AM
Counter

Not playing it yet, but going to play the everliving shit out of it:

Civilization: Beyond Earth announced
curses (04-25-2014), Kael (04-15-2014), Stormlight (04-15-2014)
Old 04-15-2014, 06:58 PM
Now in six dimensions!

I'm wary. I didn't enjoy Civ V, despite playing Civ IV a huge amount. Alpha Centauri was a very special game, and I worry a lot of the things that made it so amazing are being ignored in favour of a reskinned Civ V.
Crumb (04-15-2014), Kael (04-15-2014), Megatron (04-15-2014), Pan Narrans (04-15-2014)
Old 04-15-2014, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragar View Post
I'm wary. I didn't enjoy Civ V, despite playing Civ IV a huge amount. Alpha Centauri was a very special game, and I worry a lot of the things that made it so amazing are being ignored in favour of a reskinned Civ V.
Yeah, I'm worried about that too. I'm really hoping that it's more of an Alpha Centauri II than a Civ V reskin.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:39 PM
Now in six dimensions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatron View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragar View Post
Yeah, I'm worried about that too. I'm really hoping that it's more of an Alpha Centauri II than a Civ V reskin.
An interesting article.
Pan Narrans (04-16-2014)
Old 04-23-2014, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatron View Post
Dark Souls II

Second best game of the previous console generation, with the first, of course, being Dark Souls. There's not a lot to say, really. As the achievement you get the first time you die says, "This is Dark Souls". Same cruel but fair difficulty, same atmospheric environments, same addictive gameplay.

My first play through, I started as a Cleric, because miracles were the one game system I never really played with in DS. My intent had been to make a Strength/Faith build and run with a paladin-ish playstyle, but then I discovered hexes, and ended up running a lightly armored Faith/Int build that relied heavily on spells.

I'm currently swapping back and forth between NG+ on that guy, and a fresh game with a Deprived character that I had intended to play as a heavily armored greatsword fighter, as a sort of antithesis to my first playthrough, but I have since discovered the joys of dual wielding caestus. They do only moderate damage, have terrible range, and inflict very little stamina damage when hitting a shield, but they're extremely fast, use very little stamina to swing, inflict a lot of poise damage for easy chain interrupting, and it's hella fun to punch bosses out, especially in co-op.

Things I liked:

The game systems seem less obtuse, with fewer pitfalls and more interesting decisions. My newb build from the first DS is gone, thanks to stamine and weight limit being split out into two seperate stats, and the odd uselessness of strength and dex scaling has been eliminated. The info screens more clearly explain what everything actually does than in the previous game.

The endgame of the first DS felt a little rushed compared to the rest of the game. Here, the end is just as strong as the rest of the game.

I dig that the setting is heavily implied to be Lordran in the next go-round of an endless link the fire, fire dies down, undead appear, link the fire cycle.

Things I didn't like:

Level design is not as inspired as in the previous game. Part of the joy of that game was discovering how the different areas interconnected and wound back into each other. Here, there are essentially four main paths off of the hub and, while they brancg, they never intersect each other (with one exception), nor do their branches overlap. I get that it's not necessary to have shortcuts between areas when you can teleport between any two bonfires (except the primal ones for some reason), and I get that adding that style of fast travel makes it less of a chore to talk to every NPC after every major event so as not to miss event triggers, but I still miss the clever interconectiosn between areas.

Changes about which I am ambivalent:

Not sure how I feel about enemies despawning after a certain number of kills. It reduces farming and encourages pushing forward, but it also makes things a little easier. After one play through, there were only a handful of areas (generally in front of difficult bosses) where I actually exhausted the enemy spawn counter, so it didn't turn out to be as big a deal as I had imagined it would be.

The story is much more straightforward, in that there is no hidden path through the plot, and no endgame choice. The canonical choice from the first game is implied to be linking the fire.
Thanks, from:
curses (04-25-2014), Megatron (04-26-2014), Stormlight (04-24-2014)

Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Colosseum