Old 07-23-2014, 10:38 PM

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragar View Post
Quote:
Without a lens or a hole acting as a lens we would get no image.
A hole doesn't act as a lens.

What the heck do lenses and holes (but only holes up to a certain size that you don't know!) do in your account? In ours, a lens bends the path of light. A hole lets light through. What do they do in your magical world?
Why did you just google randomly and copy paste something about pinhole cameras?

According to you, lenses and holes (but not if they're too big!) have a mysterious ability to make light that is a huge distance away suddenly interact with photosensitive paper behind them. How do they possess such an ability? Why does a hole of only a certain size work?

Please explain this magic.
It's not magic Dragar. It's how pinholes work to achieve an image that is not blurred or without resolution. Pinholes work like lenses, so it's understandable that a pinhole camera would capture the image in real time just as a camera would.

-----------------------------------------------

Think we've eliminated the pinhole? Think again! If we enlarge the
aperature too much, we lose the image to increasing blurriness because the
depth of field becomes too small, and any tiny misalignments of the
lens/retina distance, or tiny aspheric shape in the retina or lens both
result in total blurriness of the perceived image.

This applies to the fight over lens-image versus pinhole-image. In a
real-world instrument, one *could* say that a pinhole image is not really
an image because it lacks a focus location. But conversely, one could say
that a lens-image is not really an image because, if the lens has no
"pinhole" character, if the lens has infinite diameter, then the depth of
field is therefor infinitely small, and a real-world film or retina cannot
receive any image from such a lens!

http://amasci.com/amateur/pinhole.txt

https://www.declineandfallofallevil.com/ebook/

"The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing
which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill

Last edited by peacegirl; 07-24-2014 at 10:37 AM.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Quote:
If it's a lens that gathers light which is on photosensitive paper, we would get an image of the Sun (the object) before the light arrives 81/2 minutes later.
The ONLY thing a lens ever does is to change the direction of light passing through it. So a lens cannot do anything to produce an image of the Sun until light has had time to reach it from the Sun.
And it has in less than a nanosecond.
:lol:

So this is the new bee in your little bonnet: "nanosecond," a word you discovered recently in a frenzy of googling. A few problems: If we see everything in a nanosecond after the light has left it, then we don't see in real time and therefore you disagree with Lessans. Second problem: We can easily measure by a variety of means the time it takes photons from the sun to reach the earth. It's about eight minutes, not a nanosecond. So your stupid claim is false. Finally, let us again note that you also disagree with Lessans, having recently explicitly admitted that in the case of distant stars and galaxies, we see them in delayed time when the light reaches our eyes. Lessans said the opposite of what you are now saying. Shall we dig up his quotes?
Seeing light in delayed time is not in disagreement with Lessans because we're not using this light to see anything. If this light interacted with something in the atmosphere, we WOULD be seeing that interaction in real time. The fact that you actually think I'm saying that light travels to Earth in a nanosecond is hilarious. The confusion is stacking up higher and higher and it almost makes me feel guilty that I am putting you all through this.

which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Old 07-23-2014, 10:49 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
The lens focuses the light that an object has [reflected], or emitted.

So far so good

No object = no light to form an image.

There is your mistake, once the light has left the object it travels independent of the object. The object is no longer necessary for us to see the image of the object

That's the whole debate in a nutshell.
Yep.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:53 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Then prove it! Bring it on!! I'm really looking forward to resolving this issue; no pun intended. :P

The speed of light has been measured. Nothing travels faster than the speed of light. Not even information can arrive from one place to another faster than light. Photons arriving instantly anywhere is not possible. This has been tested and proven, look up the science, if you can understand it.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:57 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
By the time a candle is lit and bright enough for us to see it, aren't the photons already at the eye?
No. The photons are only at the eye after they have had time to travel from the candle to the eye. At short distances this happens very quickly.
Repeating the afferent model doesn't make it true Spacemonkey.

You are correct, but all the tests and experiments that support it, and none against, do indicate that it is true.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:05 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Whether or not a natural decline would take place is not relevant to the actual content of the book. That's why I took it out thanks to you. This would have been a major blunder on my part only because people might think I'm homophobic.

I don't care one way or the other. No one is being hurt by someone's sexual preference, especially when promiscuity in both heterosexual and homosexual relationships is going to die out.

We all know you are 'phobic', most obviously "truthophobic".

Just how do you know that promiscuity is going to die out, from what Lessans wrote it will become the norm, but instead of being casual it will result in more "Shotgun Weddings".
Old 07-23-2014, 11:46 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Quote:
There would be no resolution of the light to form an image at 93 million miles from the light source.
Why not? Did you do the math? The formula is available on the graphic I posted for you. Let's see how you arrived at this conclusion!
This formula calculates the actual distance between stars and planets.
:lolwut:
Thanks, from:
Dragar (07-24-2014)
Old 07-23-2014, 11:51 PM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Quote:
Quote:
Look at your above answers. You have said that the photons now at the film got there by traveling from the Sun at 11 million miles per minute, and began this journey by leaving the Sun only after it is ignited, and yet somehow complete this journey by arriving at the camera film less than 8min later. So I ask you again...

How can photons traveling at just over 11 million miles per minute cover a distance of 93 million miles in less than 8 minutes?

If your answer is that they cannot, then you need to revise your answers to the above questions.
Only because the closed system allows our eyes to be within optical range of the object as it travels 186,000 miles a second. If you calculate the inverse square law by the square ratio per mile, you would see that this light would be at the eye in less than a second. By the time it reaches Earth, there would be no resolution because the object is completely out of visual range. There wouldn't be light to resolve either (so that doesn't save you) since there is nothing in the light that allows this decoding of images, which has been science's mistaken view.
You haven't answered the question, or even tried to address what you were replying to. The inverse square law doesn't say anything at all about when the light will be at the eye. You should stop using this term, as whenever you use it you say something completely stupid. The Sun is not out of visual range at 93 million miles, as it emits more than enough photons to allow resolution of an image, and the decoding of images is completely irrelevant to what I asked you anyway - which was:

How can photons traveling at just over 11 million miles per minute cover a distance of 93 million miles in less than 8 minutes?

If your answer is that they cannot, then you need to change your answers (which told me that they can) to the questions below:

You need photons at the camera film when the Sun is first ignited.

Are they traveling photons?

Did they come from the Sun?

Did they get to the film by traveling?

Did they travel at the speed of light?

Can they leave the Sun before it is ignited?

Can they arrive at the camera film less than 8min after leaving their source?
Dragar (07-24-2014), LadyShea (07-24-2014)
Old 07-23-2014, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
People understand how difficult this concept obviously is, and I believe they are giving me credit for trying to explain how this works
Which people?
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (07-24-2014), Dragar (07-24-2014)
Old 07-23-2014, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
If it's a lens that gathers light which is on photosensitive paper, we would get an image of the Sun (the object) before the light arrives 81/2 minutes later.
The ONLY thing a lens ever does is to change the direction of light passing through it. So a lens cannot do anything to produce an image of the Sun until light has had time to reach it from the Sun.
And it has in less than a nanosecond.
How? How does light get from the Sun to the lens on Earth in a nanosecond? If it does so by traveling then it is traveling faster than light. And if it doesn't travel then it isn't light.
Angakuk (07-24-2014), Dragar (07-24-2014), LadyShea (07-24-2014)
Old 07-23-2014, 11:56 PM

Quote:
If there is no information in the light, then how can we decode an image that has no information in it?
There is information in light, which you've agreed to...wavelength, intensity, angle of travel. That is information.
Thanks, from:
Dragar (07-24-2014), Spacemonkey (07-24-2014), thedoc (07-24-2014)
Old 07-24-2014, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Obviously a typo. I meant just over 11 million miles per minute.

Look at your above answers. You have said that the photons now at the film got there by traveling from the Sun at 11 million miles per minute, and began this journey by leaving the Sun only after it is ignited, and yet somehow complete this journey by arriving at the camera film less than 8min later. So I ask you again...

If your answer is that they cannot, then you need to revise your answers to the above questions.
No Spacemonkey, you need to accommodate your answers for a change. This entire account places the light at the eye as a result of two things, the physical object having to be in vierw, and the direction the eye is looking. You don't take this model seriously, not even for a nanosecond (ha). It is YOU who keeps reverting back to traveling photons reaching Earth as the only possible answer...
I'm not the one reverting back to traveling photons. YOU are. Whenever you answer my questions YOU tell ME that the photons at the film are traveling photons that got there by traveling there from the Sun.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Quote:

:monkey:

:catlady:
That's true Spacemonkey, but you just can't grasp the concept. What can I do? :chin:
:lol: How is it true? How can the same photons not be the same photons? What am I not getting that would make flat contradictions like this reasonable?
Old 07-24-2014, 12:12 AM
Now in six dimensions!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragar View Post
Quote:
Without a lens or a hole acting as a lens we would get no image.
A hole doesn't act as a lens.

What the heck do lenses and holes (but only holes up to a certain size that you don't know!) do in your account? In ours, a lens bends the path of light. A hole lets light through. What do they do in your magical world?
Why did you just google randomly and copy paste something about pinhole cameras?

According to you, lenses and holes (but not if they're too big!) have a mysterious ability to make light that is a huge distance away suddenly interact with photosensitive paper behind them. How do they possess such an ability? Why does a hole of only a certain size work?

Please explain this magic.
It's not magic Dragar. It's how pinholes work to achieve an image that is not blurred or without resolution. Pinholes work like lenses...
No, they don't.

Explain how a hole has the magical properties you ascribe to it.
LadyShea (07-24-2014), The Lone Ranger (07-24-2014)
Old 07-24-2014, 01:22 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Quote:
People understand how difficult this concept obviously is, and I believe they are giving me credit for trying to explain how this works
Which people?

Not me! The concept is not difficult, just impossible.

And I'm not giving her credit for anything, and the concept and the explanations don't work.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey
Okay, so then these photons - the ones already at the film - are ones that got there by traveling the 93 million miles from the Sun to the film on Earth at just over 11 million miles per minute. That is what it means to say Yes to the above four questions.
No Spacemonkey. They did not have to travel 93 million miles.
They did according to the answers you gave me. You said the photons at the film were traveling photons from the Sun that got from the Sun to the film by traveling. If you have changed your mind then you will need to answer those questions again. Here they are:

Are these photons (which are at the camera film when the Sun is first ignited) traveling photons?

Did these photons (which are at the camera film when the Sun is first ignited) come from the Sun?

Did these photons (which are at the camera film when the Sun is first ignited) get to the film by traveling?

Did these photons (which are at the camera film when the Sun is first ignited) travel at the speed of light?

Quote:
We are still using traveling light to see, but when we look out at the OBJECT (which you are not considering or don't see the importance of), we are in optical range due to the inverse square law. Light continues to travel to Earth but by the time it gets there, there is no light that can be resolved into an image.
Full spectrum light arrives, and you already agreed that full spectrum light can be resolved into an image. But in any case, light which arrives at the film 8min after the Sun is ignited is not the light we are talking about anyway. You were supposed to be telling me about the light which is at the camera film when the Sun is first ignited.

Quote:
Quote:
So when did they leave the Sun? Was it before, at, or after the moment it is first ignited? (Remember we are talking about the photons which are at the film on Earth at the moment the Sun is first ignited.)
Why do you keep asking me the same thing over and over?
Because you keep retracting your answers as soon as you have given them. But in the above case this was actually the first time I'd asked you this particular question. Why haven't you answered? Here it is again:

So when did they leave the Sun? Was it before, at, or after the moment it is first ignited? (Remember we are talking about the photons which are at the film on Earth at the moment the Sun is first ignited.)

Quote:
When you say "the photons which are at the film on Earth at the moment the Sun is first ignited" you are confusing the issue.
How so? Are you denying that there will be photons at the film when the Sun is first ignited? Because that is where you need them to be, and those are the photons I am asking you about. They are the ONLY photons I am asking you about.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Can these photons (which are at the camera film when the Sun is first ignited) arrive at the camera film less than 8min after leaving their source?
Yes because the eyes function differently Spacemonkey.
But a Yes to this answer, given your above answers, is a mathematical impossibility. How can photons complete a 93 million mile journey at light speed in less than 8 minutes?
They can't.
Then why did you say they can by answering with a Yes to my above question? Did you not understand the question?

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, and you told me above that the photons in question got to the film by traveling there.
Yes, but not in the 81/2 minutes you believe is necessary.
If they travel the distance in anything less than 8min then they are traveling faster than light.

Quote:
Why don't you work out the ratio between the object and the light as it leaves the Sun to see how far light has to travel before there is no resolution.
Firstly, because it is not at all relevant to what I have been asking you. And secondly, because it was already done for you earlier in the thread. You were shown that despite dispersion according to the inverse square law, the colossal photon output of the Sun means that the density of arriving photons after 93 million miles is still more than enough to form an image. But again, this is not at all relevant to what I have been asking you about.

Quote:
Quote:
I can when you tell me that the photons in question are traveling photons that got from the Sun to the film by traveling there.
I've never disputed that...
Then I do get to ask you about these traveling photons. And when I do so, I am asking about YOUR account. I am not reverting to any afferent account.

Quote:
Quote:
Holy crap, you halfwit. Read the bloody questions! Each question specifically states that the photons being asked about are the very SAME ones which are at the film when the Sun is first ignited. Those are the only photons you are meant to be giving me answers for.
The photon that is being emitted is traveling from point A to point B. That part is true, and when it finally does get to Earth 81/2 minutes later it will either be absorbed or reflected.
Is that photon one of the ones that is at the camera film when the Sun is first ignited? If not, then you aren't talking about the photons I asked you about. If so, then how can it be arriving at the Earth 8min after it is already at the film on Earth?

Quote:
You better watch how you talk to me Spacemonkey or I'll just ignore you for a day or two and if that's not enough, longer the next time.
Your threats are silly. Who do you think you are punishing by ignoring relevant questions? And why is it that whenever I ask you about one set of photons you always give answers for a completely different set of photons?

Quote:
Quote:
None of this replacement can begin to occur until AFTER the first emitted photons have had time to reach the film, which is 8min after you need them there.
True.
Then this replacement is irrelevant to my questions, for I am asking you about the photons you need at the retina 8min before any such replacement can even begin to occur.

Quote:
Both of those things matter. If there is no information in the light where it can be resolved, then something is wrong with this picture. Moreover, the afferent position does state that if the object turned blue, we wouldn't see blue until we saw red IF THE INFORMATION IS IN THE LIGHT. This is pertinent to what we're talking about.
Information has NOTHING THE FUCK WHATSOEVER to do with what I am asking you about. Assume for the purpose of our discussion that we both agree light has no information in it whatsoever. This is of course completely wrong, but it isn't the part of your account I am interested in. Even if light has no information in it, a camera cannot take a photograph without light in contact with the light-sensitive film inside the camera. How that light gets there is the ONLY thing I am asking you to address.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
That's why I call it a mirror image even though they are not the same photons.
What photons are not the same as what other photons? And why are you talking about different photons at all when the only questions I asked you were all specifically about only one set of photons (those at the film when the Sun is ignited)?
I answered you. The photon that leaves on its journey to Earth will take 81/2 minutes, but this doesn't answer the question as to why we can see in real time, and if you think it does, you are even more lost than I thought you were.
You haven't answered this question either! If the photons that leave the Sun and travel 8min to get to the Earth are not the same photons which are already at the film when the Sun is first ignited, then why are you mentioning them at all in response to questions explicitly asking you ONLY about those photons at the film?????
Angakuk (07-24-2014), LadyShea (07-24-2014)
Old 07-24-2014, 01:39 AM

Quote:
The fact that you actually think I'm saying that light travels to Earth in a nanosecond is hilarious.
That's what you keep saying, that light will be located on camera film in a nanosecond. The film is on Earth which is 93 million miles from the Sun. These are just facts.

Last edited by LadyShea; 07-24-2014 at 03:25 AM.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (07-24-2014), The Lone Ranger (07-24-2014)
Old 07-24-2014, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Quote:
What the hell am I meant to make of this, Peacegirl? What good are answers that constantly change and flip-flop from post to post?

The question is exactly the same in each case. Your answers, in the order you have given them, are: Yes; Of course not; Yes.

The last two (completely opposed) answers were less than 15min apart!
:giggle: I have to laugh because the answers do sound contradictory but they're really not.
Of course they are! How can 'Yes' and 'Of course not' not be contradictory responses to the exact same question?

Quote:
As per the example LadyShea gave with the solar panels, light does need to make contact on Earth which takes 81/2 minutes. When we're talking about photons reaching the film, it's a different ballgame because we are not using these photons in the same way. The light that is emanating from the Sun when it's first turned on does not have to reach Earth in this account. The only thing that matters is that the object is within optical range using a lens. This means we can see it because the object is there to be photographed; it is within our visual landscape or periphery or the periphery of the camera lens. This is not a tautology... "we can see it because we can see it." That's why he said the image is not being reflected as this would mean distance and time are factors. If there is no information or raw material to form an image in the light, then receiving the light through space/time doesn't play a part in sight.
None of this addresses the original question or does anything to resolve your contradictory answers to it. Here is the question again:

Can these photons (which are at the camera film when the Sun is first ignited) arrive at the camera film less than 8min after leaving their source?

This question was based on your answers stating that the photons at the camera film when the Sun was first ignited are traveling photons that get to the film by traveling at light speed from the Sun, and which leave the Sun only once the Sun is ignited. If you disagree with any of that, then you need to re-answer the questions below as well:

Angakuk (07-24-2014)
Old 07-24-2014, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
By the time a candle is lit and bright enough for us to see it, aren't the photons already at the eye?
No. The photons are only at the eye after they have had time to travel from the candle to the eye. At short distances this happens very quickly.
Repeating the afferent model doesn't make it true Spacemonkey.
I answered you according to reality. I can't answer you according to the efferent account because you have no explanation for how photons from a candle can be at the eye before they have had time to travel there.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It's the same thing with the Sun. How quickly would it take the photons from the Sun to get to the eye?
It takes 8 minutes for photons to travel from the Sun to the eye.
I give up.
Fake conceding again? You asked how long it takes for photons from the Sun to get to the eye. The correct answer is 8 minutes.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It is assumed that distance and time have everything to do with it because it is believed the information travels in the light.
Nope. It is known that distance and time have everything to do with it because you need photons at the eye and the only way they can get there is by traveling there. It is also known that arriving light contains information, but that is a separate matter.
You're wrong on both counts, but that is a separate matter.
The point you are here evading is that information in traveling light has nothing to do with why time and distance must be involved. Time and distance are unavoidably factors because you need light from the Sun to be at the camera film 93 million miles away, and the only way photons can get from the Sun to the film is by traveling that distance, which takes 8min of time.
Angakuk (07-24-2014), Cynthia of Syracuse (07-24-2014), LadyShea (07-24-2014)
Old 07-24-2014, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What do you think I've been trying to tell you this whole time? Never mind.
You've been attributing magical properties to lenses, claiming they can do things with light before that light has actually traveled to and arrived at the lens.
Angakuk (07-24-2014), Artemis Entreri (07-24-2014), LadyShea (07-24-2014)
Old 07-24-2014, 03:25 AM
Spiffiest wanger

She's resting and recuperating for another day in which to present incoherent nonsense in a smug, condescending tone. :yup:

It's not just that what she's saying is wrong; it's just complete codswallop. She grabs words at random off the Internet like "inverse square law" and "nanosecond" and "full spectrum" and then she flings them randomly into a big fat :salad: that no doubt makes no sense even to her. I wonder what she is trying to achieve at this point. Her posts are actually much worse then they were when she began here.
Thanks, from:
Artemis Entreri (07-24-2014), Dragar (07-24-2014), The Lone Ranger (07-24-2014)
Old 07-24-2014, 04:44 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
She's resting and recuperating for another day in which to present incoherent nonsense in a smug, condescending tone. :yup:

It's not just that what she's saying is wrong; it's just complete codswallop. She grabs words at random off the Internet like "inverse square law" and "nanosecond" and "full spectrum" and then she flings them randomly into a big fat :salad: that no doubt makes no sense even to her. I wonder what she is trying to achieve at this point. Her posts are actually much worse then they were when she began here.
I believe Peacegirl's posts are indicative of a very serious condition, "Vocabularium Obscurus" which seems to be progressing, and without an adequate dose of "Thesaurosiumide Oxide" or "Dictionariumonolact Sulfate" The condition will only get worse.
Angakuk (07-24-2014)
Old 07-24-2014, 06:10 AM
Spiffiest wanger

I almost hate to raise this point, as I'm sure peacegirl has never heard of it, and would not understand it if explained to her, but I feel apprehensive that once hearing these words, she will glom on to them as they were some confirmation of her claims, when they aren't at all. Still, it's fascinating enough to pull the trigger on it.

I think it was Artemis Entreri who, several pages back, invited us to consider the situation from the point of view of the photon and I think he said the photon would experience itself as traveling some eight minutes from the sun to the earth.

This is not correct, though. From the photon's point of view (of course it does not have a point of view, but this fact should not bar us from considering the situation in principle), no time at all would pass while traveling from sun to earth, and no distance would be covered, either. Perhaps Kael or Drager would like to comment further, but that's about it. The photon would experience its release by the sun and its absorption by the earth happening simultaneously. In fact, from the photon's point of view, it would traverse the entire known universe in no time at all.

ETA: I should also mention that the location of emission by sun, and absorbtion by earth, would be the same for the photon, as well as the time. There would be no time or space from the photon viewpoint, evidently.

Last edited by davidm; 07-24-2014 at 06:21 AM.
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (07-24-2014), Spacemonkey (07-24-2014)
Old 07-24-2014, 08:53 AM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk View Post
Quote:
The way to know whether we are seeing the Sun in real time rather than decoding an image of the Sun [could only be proven if the Sun was just turned on because we would be able to see the Sun before the light that was emitted got here 81/2 minutes later.
Isn't it convenient that the only way this claim can be proven is by conducting an impossible experiment. For the Sun to be turned on, it must first be turned off. I am pretty sure that if the Sun were turned off we would all die.

It is the same thing with some of his other claims. Put a baby in a room with no external stimuli other than visual stimuli and remove the baby's eyelids. The baby will never learn how to see. This is an experiment that will never be conducted now that Dr. Mengele is dead (if he really is). Isn't that convenient?

In the new "no free will/no blame" world the conscience will work at 100% efficiency and responsibility will increase rather than decrease and there will be no more crime, war, divorce or homosexuality. Unfortunately we can't test this claim in the world as it exists at present, because we live in a world of blame where people think they have free will. Once again, how convenient for Lessans and peacegirl.
Homosexuality is not a crime...
I didn't say it was. Stop misrepresenting me.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
If the hole was too large the projected image of the light source would be blurred or have no resolution at all. The photosensitive paper would still be interacting with light, but it would have no image that we could make out.
Why do you suppose that is? How does efferent vision explain this phenomenon?
The lens is what gives us the image. It doesn't matter if it's a telescope, a camera, or the eye; they all work similarly. Without a lens or a hole acting as a lens we would get no image. This is how optics works but the only difference is that we're not waiting for the light to arrive. If there is no lens to focus the light being reflected or emitted from the light source (which must be present), we would just get full spectrum light after 81/2 minutes.
How does the lens give us the image? In your own words (not some copy/paste from a website) what exactly does the lens do?
The lens focuses the light that an object has [reflected], or emitted. No object = no light to form an image. That's the whole debate in a nutshell.
If that is the case then the light has to come into contact with the lens before the lens can focus it. Since the light is coming from somewhere other than the lens it has to travel from its point of origin to the location of the lens. It can only do so at the speed of light. Therefore, it takes time for the light to reach the lens and cannot be there instantly.
Cynthia of Syracuse (07-24-2014), LadyShea (07-24-2014)
Old 07-24-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:

They can't, and that's not what he's saying. You aren't following him at all. He said light travels at 186,000 miles a second but the error is that the information is in this light. If that is true, it means that there is no information reflected. That's what he meant when he said there are no images traveling on the waves of light. It means the same thing even if it wasn't scientific sounding. If no information is reflected, it is possible to see the object instantly while the light is still traveling because of the mirror image effect. This is just a mapping or projection of the photons onto the retina or film as we look at the object in real time, which does not take 81/2 minutes. I can't explain this any other way so you will have to accept that this model is plausible or just let it go. It's up to you; I'm not forcing you to agree or even think about this model if you're sure your model is correct.

Quote:
Quote:
Only because the closed system allows our eyes to be within optical range of the object as it travels 186,000 miles a second. If you calculate the inverse square law by the square ratio per mile, you would see that this light would be at the eye in less than a second. By the time it reaches Earth, there would be no resolution because the object is completely out of visual range. There wouldn't be light to resolve either (so that doesn't save you) since there is nothing in the light that allows this decoding of images, which has been science's mistaken view.
Quote:
You haven't answered the question, or even tried to address what you were replying to. The inverse square law doesn't say anything at all about when the light will be at the eye. You should stop using this term, as whenever you use it you say something completely stupid. The Sun is not out of visual range at 93 million miles, as it emits more than enough photons to allow resolution of an image,
Not if there's no image to resolve Spacemonkey. That should tell you something even if you don't have all the pieces of the puzzle.

Quote:
and the decoding of images is completely irrelevant to what I asked you anyway
Not to me; it plays a very important part since that's how Lessans came to this finding. Lessans realized that something was off in the belief that light carries the raw material. If it doesn't, then you need to consider that he was right in his analysis even if you don't understand how light can be the bridge to sight when it hasn't reached Earth yet.

Quote:
- which was:

Has nothing to do with this. He never denied that light was traveling at a high rate of speed.

p. 117 Once again certain facts have been confused and all the reasoning
except for light traveling at a high rate of speed are completely
fallacious

Quote:
If your answer is that they cannot, then you need to change your answers (which told me that they can) to the questions below:

Can they arrive at the camera film less than 8min after leaving their source?
I don't have to change my answers. I am perfectly content with the answers I gave because I don't believe they are contradictory.

Last edited by peacegirl; 07-24-2014 at 10:35 AM.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy