Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium

View Poll Results: Pants or Skirts (includes Kilts, Dresses, etc.)?
Pants always 7 46.67%
Pants mostly; skirts for special occasions 3 20.00%
Pants mainly; skirts sometimes (~80:20 or so) 4 26.67%
Pants and skirts about equally 0 0%
Skirts mainly; pants sometimes (~80:20 or so) 1 6.67%
Skirts mostly; pants for special occasions 0 0%
Skirts always 0 0%
No comment 0 0%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-08-2004, 06:48 PM

Default Pants vs. Skirts?

I'm old enough to have seen large numbers of women change over from wearing skirts/dresses to wearing pants/trousers as their main lower garment; at least in the northeast US, that happened in the 1970's or thereabouts.

A change that has happened with remarkably little comment or controversy as far as I've been able to find out. The main exception is various fundies, who consider it cross-dressing, and therefore a no-no.

Anyone here willing to weigh in on this question?

And if any of you male readers wish to go in the opposite direction, check out http://utilikilt.com
Old 12-08-2004, 06:50 PM
select custom_user_title from user_info where username='Goliath';

Default Re: Pants vs. Skirts?

Skirts!--Ummm...I mean, pants! :wink: :P
Old 12-08-2004, 06:53 PM
A fellow sophisticate

Don't care much about cultural conventions. I like to wear what's comfortable. For that reason, I've thought about getting the workman's utilikilt to wear around the homestead. I don't know that I would have the balls to wear it in public except at the Scottish Festival or the Muskogee Castle Renn Faire. Don't know how well it would work out riding the motorcycle though. That would give real meaning to something you like doing being "Whatever blows up your skirt."
Old 12-08-2004, 06:56 PM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

When I first got out into the real world ('95 or so), I was shocked when my temp agency told me that certain law firms required women to wear skirts. Even my school uniform had a pants/bermuda shorts option, and that was an at all girls Catholic school.

The notion that women should only wear skirts seemed then and certainly seems now outlandishly anachronistic to me. I almost always wear pants.
Old 12-08-2004, 07:01 PM
This space is for rent

since I am male I won't answer the poll. The poll also didn't have the answer I would choose anyway. There needs to be an option for "pants mostly, except on windy days or for women who have to climb ladders". :D
Old 12-08-2004, 07:56 PM
poster over sea and land

I vote obscenely short skirts;)
Old 12-08-2004, 08:30 PM
rude, crude, lewd, and unsophisticated

Um.... What's the question again? I don't see it here. Am I missing the obvious?

Anyhoo... I wear trousers most of the time. I do own a kilt (Clergy plaid...heh), but I recently acquired it and have yet to wear it in a public venue. I wore one years ago (commando, or "regimental", as I understand the Scots call it) and enjoyed it immensely...of course, I was on a date with a Celtophile.

As for trousers on women, they get my support. Particularly those close-fitting ones (y'know, where you can locate and count every mole that happens to be covered by the garment). Trousers on women was a great step forward in stylin' for those of us who worship at the shrine of the Divine Derriere.

godfry
Old 12-08-2004, 08:33 PM
poster over sea and land

I think I'll expand my post. It is hot in this state. Skirts allow for air to blow. Sometimes when I wear jeans, I literally feel like my skin is being suffocated and I get desperate to remove them soon as I walk in the house. Skirts are cooler and user friendly in the heat.
Old 12-08-2004, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth
You mean those things we called "half over the ass dresses"? Yeah...bring those back. Make sure they become all the rage, especially for college students...particularly nursing students. :lecher:

...yeah. :lecher:
Old 12-08-2004, 08:38 PM

Quote:
I think I'll expand my post. It is hot in this state. Skirts allow for air to blow. Sometimes when I wear jeans, I literally feel like my skin is being suffocated and I get desperate to remove them soon as I walk in the house. Skirts are cooler and user friendly in the heat.
Especially the "obscenely short" ones. :D

godfry
Old 12-08-2004, 08:39 PM
poster over sea and land

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfry n. glad
Quote:
You mean those things we called "half over the ass dresses"? Yeah...bring those back. Make sure they become all the rage, especially for college students...particularly nursing students. :lecher:

...yeah. :lecher:
I never heard the term.
Old 12-08-2004, 08:49 PM
poster over sea and land

Quote:
Quote:
Especially the "obscenely short" ones. :D

godfry
Hehe. Well, I have a few skirts so short that I must bend my knees only and not bend over if I drop something on the ground. I have some dresses so short that I must show extreme caution in just sitting. Can't help it. I like short hems, what can I say?
Old 12-08-2004, 09:12 PM
dancing backward in high heels

I like skirts. I think I only own about 3 pairs of dress pants (and one suit that's pants) but tons of skirts and dresses. Pants I can just never find that fit quite right everywhere, and "longs" are usually too long and the regular lengths are too short, and I'm too lazy to get things tailored. Skirts usually fit much better. But luckily it's not much of an issue for me, as I rarely dress up since I'm in the lab all day.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:41 PM
mostly harmless

Well, I for one don't think they have to be "obscenely short", especially not on some women. *shudder* I think the long skirts with long slits in them are very sexy because of the way the leg is intermittently flashed at you as she walks by.

The other thing about the obscenely short ones is that they don't flow. I like a skirt that flows and moves with the woman as she walks. The pleated schoolgirl type particularly ... like the ones in videos by Aerosmith and Britney Spears.

*Shake leaves to go take a cold shower*

Old 12-08-2004, 09:43 PM

I haven't worn skirts regularly since school uniform days. In fact, I don't believe I even own any dresses or skirts right now.

In fact, I can tell you the exact date the last time I wore a dress:

St Patrick's Day 2001, my sister's wedding.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake
The other thing about the obscenely short ones is that they don't flow. I like a skirt that flows and moves with the woman as she walks. The pleated schoolgirl type particularly ... like the ones in videos by Aerosmith and Britney Spears.
Okay, okay... I like that, too.

Just wondering here...when liv stated that she'd had to wear uniforms for Catholic school, did you have the compulsion to ask her if they were the plaid pleated uniform skirts?

I did.

('Course I still toy with the fantasy that liv is really Liv Tyler.....ooooooo)

godfry
Old 12-08-2004, 10:36 PM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

No pleats. Black watch. Wrap around. Giant gold safety pin supposed to keep the two overlapping bits together. We always just pinned it to the top layer. ;)

But all fantasies aside, I still far prefered the navy pants and bermudas.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:44 PM
The cat that will listen

I wear mostly pants--jeans, khakis. But I wear a skirt probably once a week or more often (when I can fit into them). In the summer, it's dresses to church, in the winter, mostly pants. I don't really care all that much one way or the other.

When I was little (like 10), I cried and cried when my mother made me wear pants to church one Sunday because it was so very cold. I thought it was terrible, and that everyone would talk about me because no woman/girl wore pants to our church, especially on Sunday morning--and I only stopped crying when she told me she'd give me $20 if I was the only girl/woman in church wearing pants. :P Turns out I didn't get $20. :sadcheer: I was (heehee) such a drama queen.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:45 PM
poster over sea and land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake
Well, I for one don't think they have to be "obscenely short", especially not on some women. *shudder* I think the long skirts with long slits in them are very sexy because of the way the leg is intermittently flashed at you as she walks by.

*Shake leaves to go take a cold shower*
I don't like flowing skirts, when I wear them, they get blown up if it gets windy and it is rather embarrassing. I get the concern about overly short skirts. I do not advocate any that show behind or are unflattering. Like, not hooker dresses.
I think my 'obscenely' comment was not exactly what you guys thought. I think you think I'm talking about showing naughty bits, I'm just meaning it is very short.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:15 PM
This space is for rent

Quote:
I don't like flowing skirts, when I wear them, they get blown up if it gets windy and it is rather embarrassing.

Ummm... that's precisely why those of us who admire the female form like them. Well, one of the reasons anyway.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:26 PM

Quote:
I think my 'obscenely' comment was not exactly what you guys thought. I think you think I'm talking about showing naughty bits, I'm just meaning it is very short.
Oh, I'm pretty sure I know what you're referring to, and it needn't show any naughty bits...it just has to come close to it. It's actually better if it doesn't, 'cause then the mystery and the allure are maintained.

I came of age in 1970...."half over the ass" dresses were the order of the day. I think they were called "mini-minis". They were "street-legal" but still enticing.

Ah...the "good ol' days".

:qsigh:
godfry
Old 12-08-2004, 11:32 PM
poster over sea and land

I would post pics of the hem length in question, but I think it best not to. I think maybe I made my hemline appear to be too short in these posts. Sigh.

Oh, pleated school girl skirts make women with hips look huge. I normally avoid them.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:34 PM
poster over sea and land

Quote:
Quote:
Oh, I'm pretty sure I know what you're referring to, and it needn't show any naughty bits...it just has to come close to it. It's actually better if it doesn't, 'cause then the mystery and the allure are maintained.

I came of age in 1970...."half over the ass" dresses were the order of the day. I think they were called "mini-minis". They were "street-legal" but still enticing.

Ah...the "good ol' days".

:qsigh:
godfry
I know them! They were shirt-like or maybe big sweater-like and they wore leg warmers with them. My aunt would go to discos in them. I noticed once she had no panties on. I was very puzzled.
Old 12-09-2004, 12:30 AM
Raping the Marlboro Man

Pants. Always. I hate skirts. They feel stupid, are difficult to move in, and make my arse look like the back end of a German tank. When you have legs like mine, skirts are a liability.

Quote:
The main exception is various fundies, who consider it cross-dressing, and therefore a no-no.
Fundies are stupid, therefore there is no fucking argument. I mean, for fucks sake, women were wearing pants back in the 40s during the war! Anyone complain about the crossdressing then! No. Only the recently Backlash fundies get their goats up about this, because of their stupid warped ideologies about gender and false nostalgia for some utopian society that never fucking existed.

Sorry, I'm just on a fundie rant mood today.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:17 AM
Sundance Kid

I like skirts... :yup:

Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium