Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium

Old 01-08-2007, 09:45 PM

Default Re: Member News

I'm going to Paris for the weekend and I'm all excited :excited: :hyperb: :woohoo: :eager: :jumpjoy:

Oh this doesn't work, need to update everything :oops:
Old 01-08-2007, 09:52 PM
ŧiggermonkey

I opened a journal today at the :ff: entitled, The Tiggermonkey Chronicles. :write: :tiggermonkey:
Old 01-08-2007, 10:36 PM
dancing backward in high heels

I'm buying a house!
Old 01-15-2007, 08:23 PM
mostly harmless

The baby started crawling (really, this time) this weekend. Up 'til now, he's been doing what Mrs Shake refers to as his 'Army crawl': on his stomach pulling himself along with his arms. He's also got 3 teeth now and is pulling himself up to a standing position. He's 10 months old now, btw.

Also, kid #1, has a tooth which is very loose and getting close to coming out. New one is already starting to poke through behind it. *sniff* My baby is growing up!

Yeah, yeah, I know. I'll have some more recent pics up soon.

Old 01-15-2007, 08:25 PM
mostly harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake View Post
My first semester back at school is just about over. Finished one final last night, got another tonight (Chemistry) and then just one on Thursday (Statics). Then I've got a whole month off before next semester starts! :woohoo:
Oh, forgot to mention that I pulled off a 3.435 while working full-time.

The next semester starts a week from today and my course load will be about half of what it was last semester. I've only got 6 classes to go to complete this AS degree, so I should finish in spring '08.

Glad to hear you're doing better, PW.

Old 01-19-2007, 09:21 PM
Just keep m'nose clean, egg, chips & beans, I'm always full of steam

We're going on our house-hunting expedition next week in the Land of Sugar. I doubt the cheapish studio we're renting has wifi, but we'll bring the laptop just in case. I'll probably be away from the Intarweb for the next 8 days at least.

:sockpuppet:...........
Old 01-21-2007, 02:33 AM
Vaginally-privileged sociopathic cultist

My little brother is a completely abusive (verbally, to me) asshole.

But Wednesday, as I was at work, he got home from school and had a seizure. Luckily, my mother (a nurse) was there and is a nurse. They got into the ambulance, where he had another one. The doctors are going to do an MRI soon and surgery in the morning; they found a mass on his brain the other night (as well as clear fluid). They did a small surgery to do a biopsy, but couldn't reach the mass. So on Wed. they have to go all the way in.

I had a benign tumor when I was 8 or 9; I'm just really worried about him.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:11 PM
ninja mother

Sigh...well the Army is screwing with us again. As it stands now his school could be yanked and he could be deployed, or he could end up getting out (he had planned on being a lifer), or there is a small possibility he could still be going to his school as planned. We don't know, and I really don't know how much more of the back and forth I can take. I don't know how many times in the past year I have gotten all prepared for him to be leaving and the Army changed plans. It's really taken an emotional toll :(
Old 01-22-2007, 11:05 AM
Wildcard!

I haven't been posting that much lately because I'm a bit spazzy with all of my recent travel plans. I leave this morning for Japan and then I have several more overseas trips in the next couple of months. I'll try to get online during the trip but there's no connectivity in the military lodging rooms. As promised, I'll keep an eye out for cool money for Crumb.

@CC and biochemgirl
Keep your collective chins up. :worry:
Old 01-22-2007, 05:28 PM
mostly harmless

Sorry, biochemgirl. Believe me, I know your pain.

Saturday night, my maternal grandmother passed away after a long bout with Alzheimers. She was 86. I no longer have any grandparents left among the living.

That's all I have to say about that.

Old 01-23-2007, 10:09 PM
A fellow sophisticate

I received my 15 year service award at work today. When asked to say a few words, I said "Believe me, it comes as big of a surprise to me as it does to any of you." Who would've thought I would last this long or that why would put up with me for this long.

In April, I will have worked at the same job in Tulsa for seven years. Seven years? For me, that's unheard of. The longest I ever worked one job in one location without major changes in responsibilities prior to this is five years. If I don't move on soon, I think I may get a reputation for reliability or stability. Who would want that?
Old 01-24-2007, 04:38 PM

Well, I do have wifi here at the hotel, but don't have much time to be online. We found a house, and made a contingent offer, which was accepted. However, we saw another house yesterday that we liked better, so we may end up pulling out of the first one and going for the other one.

Old 01-24-2007, 07:08 PM

I scored a nice apartment a few weeks ago. The great thing about it is that it's only $775 per month and it comes with 13 rooms(counting both the bathrooms, the kitchen, and the room that function as the walk-in-closet but in reality it's actually a room). I'm now in the process of painting it and getting it all fixed up before moving in for good by next week.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:41 AM
Vaginally-privileged sociopathic cultist

An apartment complex or a house?

My brother is gonna be fine, but maybe some short-term memory loss. :D
Old 01-25-2007, 03:58 AM
Kwisatz Haderach/Mentat-for-hire

Roland98 will be closing on the house soon. I saw it last weekend and am totally enamoured with the thought that I'll join her there in a year or two. Next weekend I'm going back out so we can pick out color schemes for the rooms and maybe some flooring for the kitchen/bedroom/living room. Plus we get to play with the kids and go to a movie or a science museum or something. Mad fun!
Old 01-25-2007, 07:16 PM
Coffee, tea, anti-Nazi

I just took a volunteer position to redesign and maintain the website for soccer in the streets! I'm so excited, not only is it a very good cause and website design, but it's soccer, and the guy that I spoke with today is also a rabid Man U fan! It's nice to be able to work in the field that I went to school for, and I'll probably get more out of this than I would if I was a designer full-time.

I'm just happy that I could help them, really...I can't wait to get a chance to see some of these kids play.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:00 PM
Procrastinate now, why put it off?

I just got a $3 1/2 dollar raise even though my performance reviews had some of my work habits as unsatisfactory. Having a skill that no one else you work with understands is very beneficial when they have no choice but to pay you well for it.

Old 01-26-2007, 02:01 PM

Well, the seller's broker for the house we put the offer on turned out to be a freakin' sociopath. So we backed out of that deal and are now negotiating an even better house in Sienna Plantation/Missouri City. I'll relate the whole tale next week. I feel bad for the sellers of the Sugarland house, but after three crappy transactions in a row, we just can't go through that again.

Old 01-26-2007, 04:05 PM

Default I am back ...

A travel opportunity came my way and I decided to take it. I've just returned to work today after a 9-day trip to Mazatlan, Mexico and back. It is far far away! I read three trashy novels and napped every afternoon. And ate like there was no tomorrow! Now it's tomorrow, however, so back on the food and exercise plan!

Old 01-26-2007, 10:35 PM
puzzler

The strawberry machine project wasn't moving along fast enough for my taste, so I've opted out of it and got myself a new job. I started last Monday.

The new job entails lots of travel - mostly just around the UK, but some foreign travel too. I'll not be hanging around :ff: so much as I have been. :(
Old 01-30-2007, 06:01 PM

I'm back at work today. We had a decent offer on our house, and made a counter that we think the buyers will accept. If all goes well, we'll close at the end of February on the California house and be ready to go through with the Texas purchase on schedule.

The Texas house is un. Freakin'. Believable. In a master-planned community with a golf course, water park, several community pools, parks, yadda, for a reasonable homeowner's assn. fee that's already paid for a year. The house itself is huge. We didn't set out to get a big house, but it just worked out to be the best choice, for a much lower price than my first "starter" home was 4 years ago.

Everything is falling into place, and I'm going from crippling debt to what I must admit can only be described as affluence. All for accepting a job that I will enjoy more than the one I have now. The only downside is the summer climate, but I'm nothing resembling an "outdoorsy" person in the first place.

Old 02-04-2007, 08:27 PM
Wildcard!

I am back from Japan and have a cold. Likely from breathing everybody else's breath on the airplanes. I have overseas trips aplenty coming up. Sorry, Crumb, the money I got this time won't satisfy any of your criteria. Better luck next time.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:32 PM
Clutchenheimer

Default Re: I am back ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog View Post
A travel opportunity came my way and I decided to take it. I've just returned to work today after a 9-day trip to Mazatlan, Mexico and back. It is far far away! I read three trashy novels and napped every afternoon. And ate like there was no tomorrow! Now it's tomorrow, however, so back on the food and exercise plan!

You know, that all sounds good. But the nap every afternoon for nine days sounds better than all the rest combined. If I could do that, I think it would give me the strength of 10 grinches, plus 2.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:14 AM
dancing backward in high heels

So, PV surprised me by showing up at my house yesterday at noon. :love: We spent the day picking out some flooring for the new house, and (after being lazy and sleeping in), spent today painting and scraping off wallpaper (well, he did the scraping. And most of the painting too. :D ). I'll put pictures up as soon as some of them are finished.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:03 PM
mesospheric bore

Looks like things are coming together for me quite nicely. I've almost certainly got some work about to happen, and today I signed the lease on a great house.

Here's the view:

Move in about a week. Can't wait!

Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium