Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Food & Drink

Old 06-04-2013, 09:31 PM
Coffee, tea, anti-Nazi

Default Re: I Admit I Am Powerless Against Sriracha

I give it my best, I DON'T WANNA BE A HEAT WIMP but when I get that feeling that starts in the base of my neck that says "You've overdone it, sister. Have a headache!" then it makes me wish for macaroni and cheese.
Janet (06-04-2013), livius drusus (06-04-2013), Ymir's blood (06-04-2013)
Old 06-04-2013, 10:05 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

I am in the club with erimir.

Sriracha, according to this, is only 2200 Scoville units. That's not even half the heat of a jalapeno. Yeah, it would be unpleasant if you were drinking it straight out of the bottle, I guess.

This one time, Matlock and I went to an Indian restaurant and ordered some curries. I said I wanted hot, and the waitress talked me out of it, saying it was HOT HOT, so I got medium instead. Matlock still got hot, either because he's brave or he hadn't had enough Indian food to know that it does come in HOT HOT.

Mine was about as spicy as ketchup, and his wasn't much more--maybe gringo-style Tex Mex hot, like something you'd get at Taco Bell or something. But I couldn't totally blame the waitress, because she'd probably had people who looked like us freak out over their ever so spicy ketchup.

So all you white people should either adapt to your new culture, or just move back to Idaho or wherever the fuck you came from.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (06-05-2013), curses (06-05-2013), erimir (06-04-2013), Kael (06-05-2013), livius drusus (06-04-2013), Megatron (06-16-2013), Pan Narrans (06-05-2013), Qingdai (06-05-2013), Sock Puppet (06-12-2013), wei yau (06-04-2013)
Old 06-04-2013, 11:58 PM
A fellow sophisticate

I like to eat stuff that makes me cry, my nose run, and my asshole burn. If that means I'm a heat wimp, so be it.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:32 AM
Dogehlaugher -Scrutari

That base of the neck heat is what I crave, especially if I feel like or have come down with a cold.

Fucking blanditos, I hate it when they try to talk you down and then you realize their screaming hot is barely spiced.

I think it's just about right when I start hiccuping while eating.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:56 AM

It really would help if people were conversant in scoville or something, so you'd have some reasonably objective measure to go by rather than just "spicy." Cause hell yeah, I know people who think that Taco Bell hot sauces and andouille sausage are really really spicy.

I'm not conversant in it myself, but I'd work on it if other people would too. It's just too weird trying to describe heat levels. I default to hottest Mexican, but Thai hot can be too much. When I get pho, I add a teaspoon or two of regular chili sauce and about half a jalapeno to the bowl, then add a squirt of Sriracha to each bite. And I don't need everything at the same heat level, but I get mad if I order something that's supposed to have some heat to it and it doesn't.

And I know it's probably difficult to believe, but I don't like having to tell those big long boring stories about my life and my heat preferences to waiters and stuff all the time. (That's just you guys I like doing that to.)

I just want to be able to use an objective measure. So I'm going to start standing around on streetcorners with a sign that says, "America, become conversant in Scoville units!" until that happens.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (06-05-2013), Crumb (06-05-2013), Janet (06-05-2013), livius drusus (06-05-2013), SR71 (06-09-2013), wei yau (06-06-2013), Ymir's blood (06-05-2013)
Old 06-05-2013, 02:00 AM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

I suppose you can use Tabasco as a point of reference with a lot of people.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:18 AM
A fellow sophisticate

I like to add a generous sprinkling of Tobasco sauce to the free tamales at the pub on Mexican food Mondays. I have to ask for it specifically, it is in their Blood Mary ingredients basket, because the Pace medium picante sauce isn't hot enough for me.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:00 AM

They use Pace? My god. Pace hot salsa is pretty weak too.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:05 AM
Vaginally-privileged sociopathic cultist

I like Tabasco. I do always kick up pho or laksa, though, usually with whatever chili sauce they have.

One of my best friends is so heat-sensitive she can't even do cinnamon gum. Maybe more tastebuds or something? I don't know.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:09 PM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

I am going to ignore the peer pressure here and out myself as a heat wimp. Although, it's as much disinterest as it is wimpiness. I just don't care that much for hot foods. And the one time I accidentally got medium instead of mild at a Thai place, it brought on an asthma attack when I walked out into the cool night air.

When my nephews try to pressure me, I tell them that I'm pretty fond of my palate and don't want to risk it. Since they like my cooking, they back down pretty quickly. But that's not even the reason. I am no more interested in eating hot food than I am in sucking smoke of any kind into my lungs. Some things just don't appeal to me.
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Thanks, from:
Crumb (06-05-2013), erimir (06-05-2013), lisarea (06-05-2013), livius drusus (06-05-2013), wei yau (06-06-2013)
Old 06-05-2013, 05:57 PM

Oh, that's ok I guess. If it causes asthma attacks.

What's your excuse, the rest of you?!

Although for serious, I think people should be at least try to build their tolerance to the point that they can eat all the things that I don't even consider spicy. I have on a couple occasions been surprised that someone else considered something very spicy that I didn't consider spicy at all, so it didn't occur to me to warn them.

The advantage there being that you won't be missing out on ALL the things at Mexican restaurants or what have you. It would be sad to have to eat your Mexican food without sauce :(

In North Carolina I didn't have any friends who were total heat wimps. I mean, I had a couple friends who wouldn't eat habanero salsa, but that's legitimately hot. I think it's because NC has barbecue and so most people are exposed to at least some heat (NC barbecue is not typically hot, but it often has a kick and all bbq restaurants have hot sauce on the table). My heat wimp friends here are from Pennsylvania, Minnesota and near DC. So now I've decided that everyone in a swath from DC/Philly to Minneapolis (and beyond) is a heat wimp.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (06-05-2013), Janet (06-05-2013), lisarea (06-05-2013), Qingdai (06-05-2013)
Old 06-05-2013, 08:17 PM
Dogehlaugher -Scrutari

Minnesota and Wisconsin are notorious for thinking things that aren't even spiced are "hot".

There's a blue lid Pace that has not a drop of heat in it (I think they use bell peppers instead of jalepenos or something) that is marketed to the mid-west or whatever you call those states.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erimir View Post
Although for serious, I think people should be at least try to build their tolerance to the point that they can eat all the things that I don't even consider spicy. I have on a couple occasions been surprised that someone else considered something very spicy that I didn't consider spicy at all, so it didn't occur to me to warn them.
That's the thing. That's why it's hard to order spicy food as a whitey, and why it's hard to cook for people. I'll try to accommodate people when I'm cooking for them, and make non-spicy food for people who are sensitive to it, only to discover that for some people, things like cumin or garlic are also 'spicy.'

I've even known a couple of people who considered just regular herbs spicy. Things like basil and marjoram and stuff! This one woman would very pointedly pick out any discernible herbs from her food.

It's really frustrating to try to make something appropriate and then have some fussy eater still turn their nose up because anything that's not fat, salt, or sugar is 'spicy.' (There's also a small subset of those people who think that spicy food is actually somehow harmful, and who will accuse people of CHILD ABUSE for letting their kids eat anything but chicken nuggets or macaroni and cheese. Those people are just straight up loathsome human beings.)
Thanks, from:
Crumb (06-05-2013), erimir (06-05-2013), Janet (06-05-2013), livius drusus (06-06-2013), Qingdai (06-09-2013), Watser? (06-05-2013), wei yau (06-06-2013)
Old 06-05-2013, 09:12 PM
an angry unicorn or a non-murdering leprechaun

That reminds me of a family story from my youth.

We would take summer trips out to California to visit my aunt and uncle in Pasadena. Every year my uncle would go out of his way to find some kinda spicy salsa, hot sauce, or pepper that would be a match for my dad.

One year he had a jar of peppers that he had obtained from New Mexico. He was certain that THIS year would be the year and that he had found the Kryptonite of peppers. This jar was filled with the fiery peppers grown in the pits of Hell.

We were grilling out on the patio and he brought out the jar, filled with glee, and casually offered one to my dad. Who promptly ate one and complimented him on it, but didn't turn red or have fire coming out of his ears or anything. He was altogether mild about it and my uncle was very disappointed.

Shortly thereafter, my seven-year-old, bow-headed self skipped up to the table cuddling a stuffed animal and asked, "Daddy, can I have a pepper?"

"Sure sweetie."

My uncle turned white as a sheet and was about to protest, as I popped one in my mouth.

I said "yummy" and skipped off again.
BrotherMan (06-05-2013), curses (06-06-2013), Janet (06-05-2013), Qingdai (06-09-2013), Sock Puppet (06-12-2013), Ymir's blood (06-05-2013)
Old 06-05-2013, 09:44 PM
Fishy mokey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qingdai View Post
Minnesota and Wisconsin are notorious for thinking things that aren't even spiced are "hot".

There's a blue lid Pace that has not a drop of heat in it (I think they use bell peppers instead of jalepenos or something) that is marketed to the mid-west or whatever you call those states.
I'm theorizing away here that most of the people who consider even stuff like garlic spicy are of North/West European descent. Dutch, German and British food are very bland and I think that goes for Scandinavian food too. There are definitely still hordes of people here who think even garlic is a menace and chives are things that happen to other people. French food is just bearable for them, but even Italian or Spanish is taking it too far.
curses (06-06-2013), Demimonde (06-05-2013), Janet (06-05-2013), livius drusus (06-06-2013), Ymir's blood (06-05-2013)
Old 06-05-2013, 09:57 PM

:psst:I think you mean tow-headed, Demi.

I would not be (unintentionally) nonchalant about just eating a whole pepper in a single bite even if it was merely a spicier-than-average jalapeño. I'm not actually that hardcore.

If I were trying to show how hardcore I am and therefore suppressing my reaction, I could handle a lot hotter than a jalapeño without reacting too much.

This site has Scoville scores for a variety of hot sauces: Official Scott Roberts Web Site - Scoville Scale for Hot Sauces and Hot Peppers

For example, I accidentally drenched half a burrito in El Yucateco Red Chile Habanero hot sauce... I was able continue eating it, but I definitely did not appreciate having that much. I did eventually put more on the other half of my burrito (and more carefully), but I waited awhile.

Anyway, I'm definitely not a chilihead, because that's towards the bottom of his scale. But considering that the "Fire" sauce at Taco Bell is supposed to be considered "hot" and it's less than 1/10th the Scovilles, I think I'm still well above the average American. It's gotta be habanero-based before I'd consider calling a sauce "fire."

What would be cool is some kind of map of the heat-tolerance of places around the world. Not sure how you'd want to ask the question. In the US I guess it would be easy to use Tabasco and some other well-known sauces as a reference.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (06-05-2013)
Old 06-05-2013, 10:09 PM
an angry unicorn or a non-murdering leprechaun

Quote:
Originally Posted by erimir View Post
:psst:I think you mean tow-headed, Demi.
:nope: I was never a blondie. I did have HUGE bows my mamma made for me that I wore on top of my head all the way up until middle school. I was a bow-head.

It also was 90's slang for a white preppy ditzy girl in the suburbs. Contra used it a lot, back in the day. I was trying to paint a word picture and emphasize what a little gringa I was.

It was wrong to hyphenate it, though, it felt so right.

Quote:
I would not be (unintentionally) nonchalant about just eating a whole pepper in a single bite even if it was merely a spicier-than-average jalapeño. I'm not actually that hardcore.
I can handle eating a whole pepper easier than some sauces. Especially if they are pickled, as those were. I think the cooking process can intensify some sauces.

I loooove habanero sauces. One of our local taco places, Fuzzy's, has a nice agent orange sauce. I get mad at them though because they never remember to put it on my plate so I have to go back up to the counter for it. I don't put it on the fish tacos, because I want to taste the fish, but I love it on my rice and potatoes.
erimir (06-06-2013)
Old 06-05-2013, 10:25 PM
Fishy mokey

I've got this Caribbean hot sauce (habanero and scothc bonnet peppers) that I throw in by the tablespoonfull without breaking a sweat. But then there is this sauce I have that even a few drops, literally about five, added to an otherwise bland pan of chili to feed about 4 people makes it almost inedible. So that sauce is pratically useless to me. It's called Chile Addict's Revenge Hot Sauce and I thought it was a good idea at the time.

:sweaty:
Old 06-05-2013, 10:39 PM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

I feel compelled to out my dad here. He was one of those people who did not like any spices or herbs of any kind. He didn't even put ground pepper on his food. He ate his salads with no dressing, just salt, lots of salt. My brother used to say his four basic food groups were meat, potatoes, salt and grease. Once at a wedding I explained to my companion why my dad wasn't eating anything. When my friend expressed disbelief my dad leaned over and said, "A little salt, a little sugar and you're fine." Poor dad, didn't eat a thing at that wedding and went for a walk so he didn't have to just sit there watching us eat.

Anyway, my mom always cooked to his tastes. The only exception was Mondays when he bowled and we got to have pasta and meat sauce. She even said that one day he freaked out because he found out she put onion in his chicken soup, even though she got the recipe from his mother and he'd always liked it. As soon as he found out what was in it, he refused to eat it unless she left the onions out.

So, yeah, compared to my upbringing, I am an adventurous eater, even though I am objectively a culinary coward.
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Thanks, from:
curses (06-06-2013), lisarea (06-05-2013), livius drusus (06-06-2013), Watser? (06-05-2013), wei yau (06-06-2013), Ymir's blood (06-05-2013)
Old 06-06-2013, 02:00 AM
Coffee, tea, anti-Nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
I've even known a couple of people who considered just regular herbs spicy. Things like basil and marjoram and stuff! This one woman would very pointedly pick out any discernible herbs from her food.
This person is obvs broken and needs help right away.
Crumb (06-06-2013), lisarea (06-06-2013), Qingdai (06-09-2013), Ymir's blood (06-06-2013)
Old 06-06-2013, 02:05 AM
the internet says I'm right

I like spicy food. I don't go for it all the time, but when I want spicy, it'd better be spicy! If I'm in the mood for spicy, and it doesn't make my nose run and eyes water, it wasn't spicy enough.

I also know from experience, cooking for family and friends, that my baseline "this is spicy, this is not" is at least a little higher than almost everyone I know.

That said, I've never tried sriracha, I'll have to pick some up. What's the best dish to showcase it, do y'all think?
Old 06-08-2013, 03:13 PM
puzzler

Old 06-13-2013, 04:22 AM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

A few Subway Sammich places have started offering "Creamy Sriracha" which I tried thanks to this thread. While it might not be the correct hipster approved Sriracha I think I've clearly been putting Sriracha on the wrong things and plan on getting some real sriracha for future sammich making. :sammich:
Old 06-16-2013, 12:05 AM
Dissonance is its own reward

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
I am in the club with erimir.

Sriracha, according to this, is only 2200 Scoville units. That's not even half the heat of a jalapeno. Yeah, it would be unpleasant if you were drinking it straight out of the bottle, I guess.
Jesus, it's even weaker than I thought. I thought it tasted good, but I was really unimpressed with the heat when I tried it. Then again, I eat ghost pepper cheese.

Quote:
This one time, Matlock and I went to an Indian restaurant and ordered some curries. I said I wanted hot, and the waitress talked me out of it, saying it was HOT HOT, so I got medium instead. Matlock still got hot, either because he's brave or he hadn't had enough Indian food to know that it does come in HOT HOT.

Mine was about as spicy as ketchup, and his wasn't much more--maybe gringo-style Tex Mex hot, like something you'd get at Taco Bell or something. But I couldn't totally blame the waitress, because she'd probably had people who looked like us freak out over their ever so spicy ketchup.

So all you white people should either adapt to your new culture, or just move back to Idaho or wherever the fuck you came from.
I went to a Thai place once, and asked them to make it like they would for their family. I was with a friend who'd been there many times before, and they looked to him for confirmation, like "is this guy crazy or can he really handle it?"

He nodded, and they didn't fuck around. I was actually sweating when we left.

Unfortunately this is literally the only time I've ever left a restaurant feeling like I'd had something legit hot.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:38 AM
Forum Killer

I forgot I had sriacha.

I have been reminded.

My return has already been worth it :jalapeno:

Spicy, hell no, but good.

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Food & Drink