Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > The Sciences

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 07-30-2017, 08:26 PM
Jerome's Avatar
Jerome Jerome is offline
Dr. Jerome Corsi-Soetoro, Ph.D., Esq.
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: XCXCIX
Default Re: North American Solar eclipse 8/21/2017

Those are figures from the standard spinning globe model!!

:happywave:
__________________
What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. ... The origin of myths is explained in this way.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 07-30-2017, 08:33 PM
thedoc's Avatar
thedoc thedoc is offline
I'm Deplorable.
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: XMMCCCLXXXVI
Default Re: North American Solar eclipse 8/21/2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
In 24 hours the earth has spun 360 degrees.

In 24 hours the moon has traveled only 13 degrees of the earth.

ETA: these are the numbers given by the spinning globe propagators
That works out to the surface of the Earth moving 40,075 Km in 24 hours and the Moon moving aprox. 313,983 Km in 24 hours. That's almost 8 times as fast.
__________________
The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you donít know anything about. Wayne Dyer
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 07-30-2017, 08:39 PM
Jerome's Avatar
Jerome Jerome is offline
Dr. Jerome Corsi-Soetoro, Ph.D., Esq.
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: XCXCIX
Default Re: North American Solar eclipse 8/21/2017

You keep doing the same thing.

By your calculations the moon would rotate around the full surface of the earth in like 17 hours, instead of the 27 days it takes according to the spinning globe model.

:doh:
__________________
What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. ... The origin of myths is explained in this way.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 07-30-2017, 10:48 PM
erimir's Avatar
erimir erimir is offline
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Dee Cee
Gender: Male
Posts: XMMCDLXII
Images: 11
Default Re: North American Solar eclipse 8/21/2017

The shadow will move across the surface of the earth if the moon moves enough to cover the entire diameter of the earth with respect to the sun. It does not need to move a full half orbit around the earth for its shadow to travel across the lighted face of the earth.

The only time it will be casting a shadow on the earth is when it's between the earth and the sun, and given its size and distance from the earth, that is only a fraction of its orbit. Which is to say, something like if you projected the edges of the lighted portion of the earth towards the sun in a roughly cylindrical shape, the moon only needs to travel from the edge of that cylinder to the other edge. Once it is outside that cylinder, it is no longer between the earth and the sun.

So, if the moon travels at about 61.3 km per minute, and a total eclipse will first be visible (from out in the Pacific Ocean) at UTC 16:49 and will stop being visible (out in the Atlantic) at UTC 20:02. So the duration will be about 3 hrs and 13 minutes, or 193 minutes.

193 m * 61.3 km/m = 11,800 km... which is not far off from the diameter of the earth (~12,800 km)

But you have factors like that the earth is moving in its orbit around the sun, so that cylinder is not remaining stationary either. And the moon's orbit is not in the same plane as the equator (and it does not stay the same in relation to the earth's axis either, which is why solar eclipses are not always visible in the same places) that presumably affects the duration as well, and axial tilt, etc. etc. But I'm not NASA, I'm not calculating the exact path.
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
But (07-31-2017), Crumb (07-31-2017), JoeP (07-31-2017), Kyuss Apollo (07-31-2017), The Lone Ranger (07-31-2017), The Man (07-31-2017)
  #55  
Old 07-30-2017, 11:40 PM
Kael's Avatar
Kael Kael is offline
the internet says I'm right
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Western U.S.
Gender: Male
Posts: VMCCCLXXXI
Blog Entries: 11
Images: 23
Default Re: North American Solar eclipse 8/21/2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by erimir View Post
Assuming you mean this animation: SVS: Flying Around The Eclipse Shadow

You can't possibly be serious with this idiocy.
He seemed to be serious about the flat-Earth nonsense, so why not this as well.
Jerome doesn't believe shit, he's a troll by his own admission and description. He's not even a particularly amusing one in his own right, like a few of the ones we've had. As someone pointed out, I think it was Ari, his primary value is the surrealist entertainment of Jerome Minus Jerome.
__________________
For Science!
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
But (07-31-2017), Kyuss Apollo (07-31-2017), The Lone Ranger (07-31-2017), The Man (07-31-2017), Watser? (07-31-2017)
  #56  
Old 07-31-2017, 01:58 AM
Watser?'s Avatar
Watser? Watser? is offline
Fishy mokey
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Furrin parts
Posts: LMMMLXX
Default Re: North American Solar eclipse 8/21/2017

Yeah, he's boring. We need those trolls of yesterdecade!
__________________
:typingmonkey:
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
The Man (07-31-2017)
  #57  
Old 07-31-2017, 02:03 AM
Jerome's Avatar
Jerome Jerome is offline
Dr. Jerome Corsi-Soetoro, Ph.D., Esq.
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: XCXCIX
Default Re: North American Solar eclipse 8/21/2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by erimir View Post
So, if the moon travels at about 61.3 km per minute
It doesn't in relation to the surface of the earth.

You guys don't seem to understand the model you believe in.
__________________
What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. ... The origin of myths is explained in this way.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 07-31-2017, 02:13 AM
Ari's Avatar
Ari Ari is offline
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bay Area
Gender: Male
Posts: MXCCLXXV
Blog Entries: 8
Default Re: North American Solar eclipse 8/21/2017

He was a better troll of yesteryear, his current trolling just isn't his prime.
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
The Man (07-31-2017)
  #59  
Old 07-31-2017, 02:17 AM
erimir's Avatar
erimir erimir is offline
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Dee Cee
Gender: Male
Posts: XMMCDLXII
Images: 11
Default Re: North American Solar eclipse 8/21/2017

For some reason it feels like flat-earthers are in vogue at the moment. Jerome's just jumping on the latest trend.

I guess 9/11-trutherism and Obama Kenya birtherism don't seem that sexy anymore, so they're reviving an oldie-but-a-goodie.
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
JoeP (07-31-2017), The Man (07-31-2017)
  #60  
Old 07-31-2017, 03:14 AM
Jerome's Avatar
Jerome Jerome is offline
Dr. Jerome Corsi-Soetoro, Ph.D., Esq.
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: XCXCIX
Default Re: North American Solar eclipse 8/21/2017

You guys sure are digging deep for logical fallacies so as to avoid the fact that the eclipse doesn't work with the spinning globe model.
__________________
What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. ... The origin of myths is explained in this way.
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 07-31-2017, 04:01 AM
thedoc's Avatar
thedoc thedoc is offline
I'm Deplorable.
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: XMMCCCLXXXVI
Default Re: North American Solar eclipse 8/21/2017

I suppose the truth will come out when the Aug. 21 solar eclipse comes off as predicted, what will Jerome say then or will he just find some other cause to spew BS about.
__________________
The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you donít know anything about. Wayne Dyer
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 07-31-2017, 04:15 AM
Jerome's Avatar
Jerome Jerome is offline
Dr. Jerome Corsi-Soetoro, Ph.D., Esq.
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: XCXCIX
Default Re: North American Solar eclipse 8/21/2017

lol, of course it will come off as predicted, that is not the point.

The point is the eclipse does not work with the current spinning globe model.


You guys are logical fallacy crazy here. You said nothing different than: 'I predict when I press the on button on the remote, that god pushes the button on the tv, therefore its proof that god turns on the tv when I press the remote button'.
__________________
What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. ... The origin of myths is explained in this way.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 07-31-2017, 04:17 AM
Jerome's Avatar
Jerome Jerome is offline
Dr. Jerome Corsi-Soetoro, Ph.D., Esq.
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: XCXCIX
Default Re: North American Solar eclipse 8/21/2017

'Fairies in the ground push up the grass. To prove this, just watch the grass grow.'

lmao at the idiotic level you have gone to avoid the fact the eclipse does not work with the current spinning globe model. If you could provide a valid explanation, you would, if NASA could, they would.
__________________
What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. ... The origin of myths is explained in this way.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 07-31-2017, 04:46 AM
thedoc's Avatar
thedoc thedoc is offline
I'm Deplorable.
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: XMMCCCLXXXVI
Default Re: North American Solar eclipse 8/21/2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
lol, of course it will come off as predicted, that is not the point.

The point is the eclipse does not work with the current spinning globe model.
The eclipse can't work with the spinning globe model, but it will come off as predicted. You do understand that the prediction is based on the spinning globe model, do you understand how stupid that makes you sound?

BTW, that is the point that the working model is based on the spinning globe model, what other nonsense have you chosen to believe?
__________________
The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you donít know anything about. Wayne Dyer
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 07-31-2017, 04:51 AM
thedoc's Avatar
thedoc thedoc is offline
I'm Deplorable.
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: XMMCCCLXXXVI
Default Re: North American Solar eclipse 8/21/2017

BTW, I've stopped telling my friends and relatives about the silly things you and Peacegirl are posting on this forum. First of all I want to keep them as friends and second I get tired of the eye rolls I get when I tell them.
__________________
The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you donít know anything about. Wayne Dyer
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 07-31-2017, 05:05 AM
erimir's Avatar
erimir erimir is offline
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Dee Cee
Gender: Male
Posts: XMMCDLXII
Images: 11
Default Re: North American Solar eclipse 8/21/2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
lol, of course it will come off as predicted, that is not the point.
You say that like it's obvious when a solar eclipse will occur and where it will be visible.

How about you explain when and where the solar eclipse will occur and show how it works with a flat earth model. I don't believe you actually believe it, but I'd like to see you at least put some effort into it. It's no fun if you're not going to actually try to explain how it works.
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
But (07-31-2017), Crumb (07-31-2017), JoeP (07-31-2017), The Lone Ranger (07-31-2017), The Man (07-31-2017)
  #67  
Old 07-31-2017, 05:27 AM
Jerome's Avatar
Jerome Jerome is offline
Dr. Jerome Corsi-Soetoro, Ph.D., Esq.
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: XCXCIX
Default Re: North American Solar eclipse 8/21/2017

Guys, to get it to work you need to speed the moon from 27 days to about a 1/2 a day to go around the earth.

So which is it? Does the moon move around the earth in half a day, or 27 days?


“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.”

― Richard Feynman
__________________
What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. ... The origin of myths is explained in this way.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 07-31-2017, 05:29 AM
Jerome's Avatar
Jerome Jerome is offline
Dr. Jerome Corsi-Soetoro, Ph.D., Esq.
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: XCXCIX
Default Re: North American Solar eclipse 8/21/2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by erimir View Post
You say that like it's obvious when a solar eclipse will occur and where it will be visible.
Therefore fairies did it, this is all you are saying.

Does the moon move around the earth in half a day, or 27 days?
__________________
What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. ... The origin of myths is explained in this way.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 07-31-2017, 05:32 AM
Jerome's Avatar
Jerome Jerome is offline
Dr. Jerome Corsi-Soetoro, Ph.D., Esq.
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: XCXCIX
Default Re: North American Solar eclipse 8/21/2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
You do understand that the prediction is based on the spinning globe model, do you understand how stupid that makes you sound?
I earlier linked NASA admitting thousands of years ago they were predicting eclipses, and they thought the earth was flat, so ...

What is stupid is not reading and comprehending what is being presented.

Does the moon move around the earth in half a day, or 27 days?
__________________
What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. ... The origin of myths is explained in this way.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 07-31-2017, 05:53 AM
Kyuss Apollo's Avatar
Kyuss Apollo Kyuss Apollo is offline
happy now, Mussolini?
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: location, location
Posts: VCCCV
Blog Entries: 7
Images: 17
Default Re: North American Solar eclipse 8/21/2017

:popcorn:
__________________
This week's track: Bad Brains - Re-Ignition




Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 07-31-2017, 09:26 AM
But's Avatar
But But is offline
This is the title that appears beneath your name on your posts.
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Gender: Male
Posts: MVCCIII
Default Re: North American Solar eclipse 8/21/2017

Jeroll, draw a diagram of how you think it works.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 07-31-2017, 01:22 PM
thedoc's Avatar
thedoc thedoc is offline
I'm Deplorable.
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: XMMCCCLXXXVI
Default Re: North American Solar eclipse 8/21/2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
You do understand that the prediction is based on the spinning globe model, do you understand how stupid that makes you sound?
I earlier linked NASA admitting thousands of years ago they were predicting eclipses, and they thought the earth was flat, so ...

What is stupid is not reading and comprehending what is being presented.

Does the moon move around the earth in half a day, or 27 days?
The people who were predicting the eclipses knew that the Earth was a round globe, it was the illiterate and uneducated few that believed the Earth was flat.

The Moon orbits the Earth in just over 27 days but it is very far away averaging 384,400 Km, but the Moons shadow passes over the Earth during an eclipse faster than the Earth rotates, and due to the direction of the motions the shadow moves in the same direction as the rotation of the Earth.
__________________
The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you donít know anything about. Wayne Dyer
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 07-31-2017, 01:34 PM
Jerome's Avatar
Jerome Jerome is offline
Dr. Jerome Corsi-Soetoro, Ph.D., Esq.
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: XCXCIX
Default Re: North American Solar eclipse 8/21/2017

So the moon travels around the earth in 27 days, but its shadow only takes 1/2 a day ... lmao!!
__________________
What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. ... The origin of myths is explained in this way.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 07-31-2017, 03:13 PM
thedoc's Avatar
thedoc thedoc is offline
I'm Deplorable.
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: XMMCCCLXXXVI
Default Re: North American Solar eclipse 8/21/2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
So the moon travels around the earth in 27 days, but its shadow only takes 1/2 a day ... lmao!!
The Moon travels 2,415,256 Km in it's orbit, the shadow of the Moon travels a little less that 12,742 Km when passing over the Earth, not hard to understand.
The total eclipse starting in the Pacific ocean and ending in the Atlantic will last about 13 hours local time, a little over 3 hours total duration.
__________________
The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you donít know anything about. Wayne Dyer

Last edited by thedoc; 07-31-2017 at 03:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 07-31-2017, 03:41 PM
Jerome's Avatar
Jerome Jerome is offline
Dr. Jerome Corsi-Soetoro, Ph.D., Esq.
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: XCXCIX
Default Re: North American Solar eclipse 8/21/2017

Again, you are doing nothing more than saying, 'look, I predict the grass will grow, therefore when the grass does grow, it proves faeries live in the dirt and push up the grass'.

I am pointing out there is no room in the ground for faeries to exist, then you ignore this and repeat your fallacious claim.
__________________
What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. ... The origin of myths is explained in this way.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > The Sciences


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

 

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Page generated in 0.82780 seconds with 14 queries