Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Study Hall

Old 05-17-2011, 06:59 PM
Strabismic Ungulate

Default Re: FF Student Lounge

Picked up my diploma today :irwinnar:
curses (05-17-2011), Deadlokd (05-17-2011), Ensign Steve (05-17-2011), Kael (05-17-2011), Kyuss Apollo (06-06-2011), livius drusus (06-02-2011), Qingdai (06-02-2011)
Old 05-17-2011, 08:17 PM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

I'm officially a master, although I have not yet received my diploma.

Aside from looking for a job, right now I'm working on expanding my capstone project (it's not a thesis, but it fulfills the same requirement) so that I can get it published.

This mainly consists of adding more data, but I will add a few refinements to the analysis.

The subject is a little esoteric, so I don't expect it to be interesting to most people on here, but I might as well give the basic subject. It's about the pronunciation of /s/ in /str/ clusters. Basically, some people say "strong" like "shtrong" and some people don't, and I'm looking at people from the area and comparing them by age, sex and race. My current analysis indicates that white and black speakers are significantly different, but my results weren't quite significant for sex and age (p-values of .055 and .07, so barely out of the 5% range), so the hope is that by adding more data I'll get significance for those variables.

Also looked at the pronunciation of words with /s/ before 'ch' sounds (i.e. "question", "Christian" "gesture") to see if it follows the same pattern, which gives some information about the motivation for the sound change (since for many people, 'tr' and 'dr' sound like 'chr' and 'jr'). My previous results on that found that (simplified) anyone who says "shtrong" also says "Chrish-chin", whereas the reverse is not true, and that generally the extent that they do the one is correlated with the other. Not expecting to get really different results on this section of the paper by adding more data, as these effects were already quite strong.

My problem before was that although I had 34 participants, I had relatively small numbers of certain subsections (black and older speakers, especially older male). After adding in some extra recordings I'll have over 50 respondents, with significantly more older and black speakers.
Thanks, from:
Deadlokd (05-17-2011), Ensign Steve (05-17-2011), Kael (05-18-2011), livius drusus (06-02-2011), Qingdai (06-02-2011), Sock Puppet (05-17-2011)
Old 05-26-2011, 07:12 AM
Not as smart as Adam

I was offered a place at the Queensland University of Technology to do a Master of Biotechnology. It took me two seconds to accept and enrol.
curses (05-26-2011), Ensign Steve (05-26-2011), irukandji (06-10-2011), Kyuss Apollo (06-06-2011), livius drusus (06-02-2011), Nullifidian (06-02-2011), Qingdai (06-02-2011), viscousmemories (06-18-2011)
Old 05-26-2011, 03:39 PM
California Sober

That's super exciting. I look forward to hearing all about biotechnology from you. That's like two of my favorite things in one!
Deadlokd (05-26-2011)
Old 06-02-2011, 12:36 AM
liar in wolf's clothing

In another thrad I wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckF View Post
Thus came another B+ law student to clog up the job market.
Nosce te ipsum. I have more B+'s than any other grade, by both number and credit hours. This semester is no different.

I have 4 out of 5 grades back, covering 14 of 16 credit hours. Somehow, even amidst all my angsty not-giving-a-fuckery, this semester came out pretty well. I even got a straight-up A in my national security law class, which I suspect means everybody else wrote very bad papers. My paper was pretty badass, I have to admit. Depending on how badly I shit the bed on my one outstanding grade (real estate finance - lol, I know), my very B+ heavy GPA will even tick up slightly, by something between 0.007 - yes, 7/1000 of one point - and 0.03. This, I am told, is very extremely important. Hurrah for progress!
Thanks, from:
curses (06-02-2011), Deadlokd (06-02-2011), Ensign Steve (06-02-2011), erimir (06-02-2011), irukandji (06-10-2011), Kyuss Apollo (06-06-2011), Nullifidian (06-02-2011), Qingdai (06-02-2011), Sock Puppet (06-02-2011), viscousmemories (06-18-2011)
Old 06-02-2011, 06:13 AM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

Quote:
Originally Posted by erimir View Post
right now I'm working on expanding my capstone project (it's not a thesis, but it fulfills the same requirement) so that I can get it published.
I am nearly finished collecting and datafying recordings (taking measurements to put into a spreadsheet and do regressions on) for the aforementioned expansion of my master's paper. I might go out and collect a handful more recordings, but otherwise I should be ready to do mathy things to my new data next week. Maybe even if I do get some extra recordings (each person I add would probably add about 2-2.5 hours of work in recruiting, recording and analyzing, so as long as it's only a few it won't slow me down much).

Also, I was writing up my resume, and I realized that my GPA in my major was a 4.0. Somehow I managed to get all A's*, while at the same time earning some ill will among my professors through my epic ability to procrastinate. I just shouldn't have let stupid literature courses bring me down (of course, if I had been in almost any other linguistics programs I wouldn't've be required to take any literature courses :mutter: (mirrored)). Oh well.

*Well, and one A- and one A+ that cancelled each other out - yes my school allows A+'s and gives them a value higher than 4 for GPA calculation.

Of course, if I had been working more at the pace I've been working on my paper now that it isn't a "school assignment" anymore, I wouldn't have had those problems either... For some reason*, working on it more for myself and without an actual deadline makes it much easier for me to do work on it.

*Ok, so the reason is not completely mysterious. It has partly to do with my attitude towards school assignments, which is to do the amount of work necessary to get an A (possibly less, depends partly on the subject of the class too) and not to do more than that, where the product is the grade and I essentially go for "efficiency" in achieving that goal, whereas when working on this paper for myself, for publication, the goal is to have something that will look good for my resume and that will be of interest to people reading linguistics journals, and I guess that I'll be proud of. Which is a different sort of goal from getting a grade. But my poor ability to deal with deadlines is still a problem.
Thanks, from:
Deadlokd (06-02-2011), Ensign Steve (06-02-2011), livius drusus (06-10-2011), Naru (06-02-2011), Qingdai (06-02-2011)
Old 06-06-2011, 11:36 PM
happy now, Mussolini?

Turned in the final rough draft of my MA thesis to my advisor today.

Thanks, from:
Deadlokd (06-06-2011), Ensign Steve (06-06-2011), livius drusus (06-10-2011)
Old 06-09-2011, 07:08 PM
the internet says I'm right

It is now Officially Official, I am a physics major going for Composite Teaching - Physical Sciences. I don't know why I always put of visits with advisors, or why I'm always so nervous about them. They've only ever been helpful and friendly, and I always feel better about wtf I'm doing up here after I talk to them...

Now all I need to do is get my ass hauled through Calculus I by the end of next Summer and I should be set. I still have no idea when I'll be graduating, probably 2014.

I'm also planning to get involved in a program that used to be extracurricular, but now I can get a credit hour for it, that has a bunch of physics students go around to local schools doing science demos. Should be fun and some good practice.
Thanks, from:
Deadlokd (06-10-2011), Ensign Steve (06-09-2011), irukandji (06-10-2011), Kyuss Apollo (06-10-2011), livius drusus (06-10-2011)
Old 06-10-2011, 02:43 AM
happy now, Mussolini?

Defending some time in July, I just found out.

Thanks, from:
Deadlokd (06-10-2011), irukandji (06-10-2011)
Old 06-10-2011, 02:56 AM
Not as smart as Adam

Good luck!
Kyuss Apollo (06-10-2011)
Old 06-17-2011, 03:06 PM
liar in wolf's clothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckF View Post
Depending on how badly I shit the bed on my one outstanding grade (real estate finance - lol, I know), my very B+ heavy GPA will even tick up slightly, by something between 0.007 - yes, 7/1000 of one point -
Yeah this happened. +0.007. I know it sounds p. silly, but I am actually quite satisfied with having maintained the same level of performance with dramatically reduced effort. I got a B in real estate finance, which normally I guess I should be disappointed with, but my god, commercial real estate, come on. I read maybe two cases all semester and I only remember one of them. I actually pulled off a B+ in Trusts & Estates, having read exactly four cases in the first couple weeks of the semester, one of which was "mine," i.e. I got Socratic-methoded about it. IOW, this was a triumph, making a note here, etc. etc. :cheer: Next semester I will try to move the bar even lower.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (06-17-2011), Deadlokd (06-20-2011), Ensign Steve (06-17-2011), Kyuss Apollo (06-20-2011), livius drusus (06-21-2011), Naru (06-20-2011), Sock Puppet (06-20-2011)
Old 06-20-2011, 02:46 PM
Just keep m'nose clean, egg, chips & beans, I'm always full of steam

Your heroic advancements in the field of underachievement are an inspiration to us all. :happycry:

:sockpuppet:...........
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (07-07-2011), Ymir's blood (06-22-2011)
Old 06-21-2011, 09:25 PM
California Sober

Summer school moves very, very fast.

One time I heard/read somewhere that a lot of people who go into mathematics because they "like doing math" probably should have majored in accounting or actuarial science. This would have been me (and in fact I did major in Accounting once upon a time) if I hadn't latched onto computer science.

The further I go in my field, the more I think that a lot of people who go into computer science because they "like working with computers" or "like programming" probably should have gone into MIS or something like that.

Oh well, I guess. I'm happy where I am. I'm sorry they're miserable in school and I wish them luck when they try to apply their CS education to a real job. Actually, bless their hearts, they do tons of real-world-applicable stuff outside of school, like open source programming or building little database systems on their linux boxes, but the real world is totally not remotely interesting to me and I'm busy enough with my actual schoolwork.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:19 PM
California Sober

Wow, my last thing sounded way more stuck up than I realized. I just meant that students (including myself) have no idea what CS even really is until their senior year. Thinking that doing programming is doing CS is like thinking that doing algebra is doing math. The formers are just tools for the latters. But you don't fucking know that until you've invested 18 3 years of your life to studying it. I just got lucky that even though it isn't what I thought it was, I still really like what it is. I could not say the same thing had I gone the math track, so phew!

Anyway, that's totally not even what I came in here to poast. This is:

OMG! Freshman Orientation is so cute. These incoming students are so young! Like teenagers even. :stunned:
beyelzu (07-25-2011), livius drusus (07-26-2011), viscousmemories (07-01-2011)
Old 07-01-2011, 05:05 AM
happy now, Mussolini?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Steve View Post

OMG! Freshman Orientation is so cute. These incoming students are so young! Like teenagers even. :stunned:
Once in a Lifetime, after the money's gone...

Was bringing back an ton-of books to the campus library today for my thesis I don't need anymore, and there was tons of 'em being led around the place. I said to self, hey remember doing that! (...vaguely)

Meeting with my advisor next Tuesday afternoon to find out what he will bringing up at my defense. He's put the committee together, and Tuesday we'll probably set the final date for the defense, which he said will now be sometime in last two weeks if July.

Thanks, from:
Deadlokd (07-03-2011)
Old 07-01-2011, 02:46 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Steve
I just meant that students (including myself) have no idea what CS even really is until their senior year.
Even after 15+ years in (or around) the tech industry it still surprises me how much variety there is in the field, but just try to convince someone that you are an effective enterprise datacenter manager when you can't even get Windows to run faster on their laptop. :mutter:
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (07-25-2011), Ensign Steve (07-01-2011)
Old 07-25-2011, 05:59 PM
California Sober

I'm thinking about dropping ASL and taking more Spanish but it depends on so many things that I don't even know why I'm talking about it already.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:42 AM
Admin

I'm starting my first ever Spanish class in a few weeks; 5 credits so 3 hrs. twice a week. I'm a little nervous.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:32 PM
the internet says I'm right

I'm debating the merits of using my currently somewhat limited school time on a Spanish and/or ASL class vs learning them on my own. It would be better to have it on my transcript, but I'm not sure I have the credit hours to spare anymore...
Old 07-28-2011, 02:25 PM
happy now, Mussolini?

Successfully defended my MA thesis yesterday. It was accepted, with revisions due in a month.

Thanks, from:
beyelzu (07-28-2011), Deadlokd (07-29-2011), Ensign Steve (07-28-2011), JoeP (07-28-2011), Kael (07-28-2011), Naru (07-28-2011), Pan Narrans (07-28-2011)
Old 07-28-2011, 05:05 PM
California Sober

Spanish oral exam this morning. Nailed it. I have a programming project due Wednesday and two written finals next Friday (Spanish and Databases), and then I'm done! For a whole week! I'll take the GRE the following weekend, and then fall semester starts. Woo?
Deadlokd (07-29-2011)
Old 07-28-2011, 05:49 PM
simple country microbiologist hyperchicken

So since es won't tell it.

She sends me a text a couple days ago after her databases midterm,

"I bombed the test"

We talk about it later that day and she tells me how her lab partner is all super smart at like the java and the objects and shit(note something is probably being lost here cuz I am just a simple biologist) and he talked with her about the test.

She made a 95. I am very proud of her.
Deadlokd (07-29-2011), livius drusus (07-29-2011)
Old 07-28-2011, 05:50 PM
simple country microbiologist hyperchicken

Now, of course, I am starting to feel like I have brought shame down upon our house for my shit a minus in ochem if a 95 is bombing, I assume a 92 is like abject failure.
Deadlokd (07-29-2011)
Old 07-28-2011, 06:00 PM
California Sober

:unnod:
Old 07-28-2011, 09:57 PM
happy now, Mussolini?

You guys are SO CUTE!!

:squee: :aww:

Thanks, from:
beyelzu (07-29-2011), Ensign Steve (07-29-2011)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Study Hall