Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature

Old 06-22-2018, 07:44 AM
here to bore you with pictures

Default Re: Seen any crappy movies?

Iron Sky

I don't remember where I learned about this, but I had to watch it after I learned it's about Nazis on the moon.

It's a B movie science fiction movie that's also a parody of the genre. US Astronauts land on the dark side of the moon and discover a secret Nazi moon base, where they've been hiding out and planning the re-invasion of Earth. The moon landing spurs the Nazis into action, especially when they discover the hero's iPhone is a computer powerful enough to control their big Gotterdammerung warship.

This movie was released in 2012 - remember the days when we thought Sara Palin was a continuing concern? Or that Hitler scene from "Downfall" was funny? This movie would like remind you. Ok, the "Downfall" reference was kind of funny, even now.

But it was a bit too stupid to be entertaining. The Nazi plot doesn't make sense, a famous astronaut comes back to earth, but winds up being homeless. People wander around in Nazi uniforms in New York City, and no one notices. Just dumb stuff that takes you out of the movie.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (06-22-2018), Kyuss Apollo (07-24-2019), lisarea (07-20-2018), slimshady2357 (06-22-2018), Sock Puppet (06-22-2018), The Man (07-21-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 07:43 PM
California Sober

I watched Cube 2: Hypercube on Netflix's recommendation. From there I sought out Cube, which I watched, and I also found Cube Zero, the prequel, and watched it, too. So, yes, I have see three crappy movies.

:voncount:

I do not specifically enjoy "horror" as a genre, although there are many many niches that I do like. These films, like the Saw series and Se7en (and maybe to a lesser extent the Final Destination movies), appeal to me because they have these horrible, elaborate, Rube-Goldberg-style death scenarios that are just super fun and horrifying to watch unfold. I also love it when a group of strangers wakes up together in some fucked up scenario with no idea how they got there or what they're supposed to do.

The thing I especially loved about Cube* is how high-concept it tries to be. I like to imagine the pitch meeting. "No there's not a premise or even a real setting. There's a cube! Get it?" :squeezle:

And since I watched all 3 of these, Netflix is super trained up, and it's offering me all kinds of similar garbage. Yay! :partying:
Ari (07-20-2018), BrotherMan (07-21-2018), Kyuss Apollo (07-24-2019), lisarea (07-20-2018), Stormlight (10-08-2018), The Man (07-21-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 09:23 PM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Steve View Post
I watched Cube 2: Hypercube on Netflix's recommendation. From there I sought out Cube, which I watched, and I also found Cube Zero, the prequel, and watched it, too. So, yes, I have see three crappy movies.
[...]
And since I watched all 3 of these, Netflix is super trained up, and it's offering me all kinds of similar garbage. Yay! :partying:
I mean, can you blame them though? It would be reasonable to infer that you like to keep watching crappy movies... :duck:
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (07-21-2018), Ensign Steve (07-20-2018), Kyuss Apollo (08-21-2019), Pan Narrans (07-20-2018), The Man (07-21-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 10:39 PM
California Sober

:weirdtv:
BrotherMan (07-21-2018), Kyuss Apollo (08-21-2019)
Old 07-20-2018, 10:46 PM
Shitpost Sommelier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Steve View Post
:weirdtv:

:AB: :canada:
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (07-21-2018), Kyuss Apollo (07-24-2019)
Old 08-18-2018, 10:56 AM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

Deadpool 2, while it probably deserves the "not good or bad" thread compared to others here, I'm putting it in crappy movies because of how bland it was and because I really wanted to like it and it let me down so hard compared to the first. If you're looking for a more conventional, less dark and off the wall version of the first movie, this is for you!

Except Domino, every damn scene with domino is gold! I absolutely want a domino, Negasonic Warhead, Yukio and Colossus movie. So often it felt like deadpool was getting in the way of a much more interesting team up. Watching Domino 'whee' her way through the movie with her luck powers was a high point, and the few snippets of Negasonic and Yukio together as a couple and using their powers made me want the movie to focus on them and drop deadpool.

Spoilers if you want to be 'surprised' by the movie going exactly where you expect, don't read, but if you know the tropes nothing in this movie is original.

Another issue I had was the music, oh god the horrible music mixing, finding out that the same composer did both Guardians and Atomic blonde tells me he was both high on some bad weed and phoned this in. More than a couple times a popular song would start playing and then it would kinda fade out, then a few action beats later fade back in to another pop song, like they only got the rights to 15 second snippets or something. It reminded me of watching a highschool auditorium rally where all they have are cued up tapes and a fade slider to introduce each quick performance. You're never allowed to listen and let the music drive the scene, even when the main character points out that it's time to cue the badass music. The only time it gets close is the X-force skydive scene and even then the music is background and lets you down.

So um yeah, quite disappointed.
But if you do see it, make sure to watch the end credits as well as they have been said to be canon by the producers.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (08-18-2018), Ensign Steve (08-23-2018), Stormlight (10-08-2018)
Old 08-18-2018, 01:13 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

There are only two things that I think really made the Deadpool 2, and you mentioned both of them - in the proper order, even. Zazie Beets as Domino p much steals the show. She was great and for a bit player in someone else's movie I thought Domino was well written. And that end credits sequence really worked for me. I enjoyed the rest of the movie but you're right: It was just okay with a couple of fun set pieces.
Thanks, from:
Ari (08-18-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 12:44 AM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

In some ways I thought she out deadpooled deadpool, since afterall luck powers and understanding you have plot armor are pretty similar. Considering the amount of chaos and destruction her powers cause just to do simple things like give her a ramp there's also a chance for a pretty interesting dark dramedy of her dealing with the possibility and damage of stealing luck from the mundanes with powers that aren't fully under her control.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (08-19-2018), Ensign Steve (08-23-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 05:14 AM

I have the Andy Sidaris collection, and I watched one of those last night - Hard Hunted in particular.

So, the main reason to watch these are the Playboy and Penthouse models that make up the bulk of the ladies in the cast. The other good reason to watch them are the real explosions.

Otherwise, they are all sorts of terrible in interesting ways.

The thing that I find most interesting is the continuity between films. Each film builds from the last. Some characters and plots are carried over from one film to the next, and they reference events from previous movies all the time. Whoever write this cares enough to keep track and explain where the missing members of the team went.

Except they reuse actors as new characters - one of the main villains from the 1st movie (who is killed in the first movie) is a sidekick to the main villain in this one. One of the heroes in this movie was somebody else entirely 2 movies previous.

There are recurring gags in all of these movies, like one of the agents has a huge gun, but he can never shoot accurately with it. There's "clever" sexy banter. There's always two foolish thugs that die or get blown up in stupid ways. None of this is remotely funny or entertaining in the normal sense.

There are always long uninterrupted shots of vehicles, because it pads the running time. Props are recycled from movie to movie.

The action scenes are entirely unrealistic, the plots are always terrible, and the characters are always terrible at their jobs. 90% of the plot happens because two people are too busy canoodling to notice that a team member just got kidnapped, or to notice the bad guys approaching.

God, I love these movies. It's not even the extremely gratuitous nude scenes, it's the whole crazy package. There's real love and commitment to making these awful things.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (09-20-2018), Corona688 (10-01-2019), Kamilah Hauptmann (09-20-2018), lisarea (09-20-2018), Stormlight (10-08-2018)
Old 10-07-2018, 08:41 PM

I've watched the first nine movies in the Hellraiser series, the 9th being Hellraiser: Revelations. The 10th is coming in the mail soon (Netflix DVD subscription - I still have one.)

I'd rank the movies like this 1 > 2 >> 3 > 4 >> 8 > 6 >> 9 > 5 > 7. Basically, even if you're interested in the Hellraiser series, you don't really need to watch past #4. If you're not a big horror fan, only the first two are even worthwhile.

I was mildly surprised at how well #9 fared, considering by all accounts this movie was slapped together in 3 weeks to preserve the licensing deal. That's not to say it's a good movie, it's just better than some of the dreck that's part of this series. I think the main advantage is that it's a script specifically written as a Hellraiser script, unlike 5-7. It feels like a Hellraiser movie, and it reuses concepts from the first 4 movies. That has the advantage of being more in the Hellraiser world, but also the problem of being somewhat predictable.

The story goes like this: Two "teenagers" travel to Mexico to drink and get laid, find the Lament Configuration, and get caught by Pinhead and Co. Cut to 6 months later, and the two families get together for a dinner. One son reappears, bringing his cenobite related troubles with him.

If you're at all familiar with the series, you'll guess the "twist" 15-20 minutes in, not long after the son reappears. The acting is broad and probably all first takes. There are some really stupid things that happen - someone gets some facial cuts and dies in a few minutes, and another one gets a shotgun blast at point blank and survives for half the movie.

But the worst is Pinhead and the cenobites. The producers couldn't get Doug Bradley to sign on, so they they got some random dude who doesn't look anything like him, and then he was dubbed by someone who doesn't sound anything like him. The saddest thing is that the actor's facial structure makes him look chubby in the Pinhead makeup. They also had this concept that the cenobites are hanging out inside the box, and often cut to Pinhead pacing around and listening to the family's conversations.

The rest of the cenobites show a particular lack of creativity. There's a second pinhead, a new chatterer, and some ill-defined background characters. They're all just kind of boring.

Still, mediocre and boring is better than ill-defined, confusing and boring, which is why I ranked it higher than #5 and 7. I only ranked #6 higher because it stars the guy who played Mayhem in the insurance commercials and features Ashley Lawrence from the first two movies, and I like both of them. The 8th is an entirely different take on the series, which gains it points for creativity, but it's still significant drop off of quality from the first two in the series.

I'm tearing through horror movies this month, so expect quite a few more posts from me....

Last edited by specious_reasons; 10-07-2018 at 09:05 PM.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (10-08-2018), Kamilah Hauptmann (10-07-2018), slimshady2357 (10-08-2018), Sock Puppet (10-08-2018), Stormlight (10-08-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 06:36 AM

Oh man, Hellraiser: Judgement.

The story: Three detectives, two being brothers and partners, are tracking a serial killer killing through the 10 commandments. Meanwhile, Pinhead and the Cenobites are luring evil people to a house, for judgement. These two plots get entangled and bloody, gory, and grotesque scenes follow.

This one is hard to figure. As a horror movie, it's not all bad, but it's a terrible entry in the Hellraiser series. Pinhead and the Cenobites are not weird sadomasochist from a hellish dimension, but pretty basic demons from Hell. There's a whole bureaucratic process by which the evil people who come in their grasp go through, and judgement is rendered. It's all very Judeo-Christian, which is more in line with the latter half of this series, but I find it really boring.

I never thought the old school Cenobites went through a formal process to torture people - I felt like each person had a detailed personal plan for their suffering. It's like the people in this story go through a Hellraiser franchise, long divorced form the original mom&pop bespoke business it started from.

But, taken out of the Hellraiser series context, it's a gross-out horror movie with some not-too bad ideas and not terrible execution. The newest guy playing Pinhead is OK, even if it's not the same classic character.

Current ranking: 1 > 2 >> 3 > 4 >> 8 > 10 > 6 >> 9 > 5 > 7. It's still not worth actually seeing unless you're a dedicated horror fan.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (10-10-2018), Kamilah Hauptmann (10-10-2018), Sock Puppet (10-10-2018), Stormlight (10-10-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 10:06 PM

Deathstalker

I took a break from horror and watched Deathstalker - the first movie of a low budget sword&sorcery series by Roger Corman.

I should have turned it off after the first 5 minutes because it's terrible in a very specific way - it's wall-to-wall sexual assault. Our "hero" is only marginally less shitty than the villain in this regard.

Well, I'm stupid and wanted to see the conclusion, so I skipped over the vast majority of this, and only stopped to watch a few fight scenes and the evil overlord getting killed. This was a deeply unsatisfying movie.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (10-20-2018), Kamilah Hauptmann (10-20-2018), Kyuss Apollo (07-25-2019), Stormlight (10-22-2018)
Old 10-20-2018, 01:41 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

I'll stick with Krull, then. :)

Thanks, from:
specious_reasons (10-22-2018), Zehava (11-28-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 07:15 AM

My son doesn't have school tomorrow, so on a whim, I picked up tickets to MST3K Live this evening.

Unfortunately, the movie they did was Deathstalker II. I was a bit fearful, but trusted that the MST3K crew wouldn't have picked it if the tone was the same as the first. Thankfully, this entry into the series has bad acting, bad sword fighting and terrible special effects, but practically no sexual assault.

The experience was enjoyable, quite a few laughs were had at the movie's expense.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (11-12-2018), Ensign Steve (11-12-2018), lisarea (11-12-2018), slimshady2357 (11-12-2018), Sock Puppet (11-12-2018), Stormlight (11-13-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 03:27 AM

It was a twofer yesterday because I was tired from a long workday and wanted to relax to some bad movies.

First up was Underworld:Awakening, which I discovered I had seen before, and I either forgot to remove from my queue, or added it back for an unknown reason. This isn't bad, it just not anything special or memorable, even with Kate Beckinsale in a catsuit. There's 2 other Underworld movies featuring the same thing.

Have I mentioned recently that I'm a pig? The second movie was The Nude Vampire, which is a French movie directed by Jean Rollin. Jean Rollin is mostly famous for a bunch of erotic vampire movies in the 1970s. He does like nude women. In general, if he has a directorial choice of shooting a scene in which a woman can be fully clothed or topless, you can bet he'll pick topless.

This reminds me of a scene I found particularly amusing. The nominal vampires of the movie are laying siege to a mansion. Two women enter a room, stand on either side on the door, drop the tops of their dresses and wait for the rest of the group to enter, like a booby honor guard. The rest of the scene completes with these women topless, even though they have no lines or particular importance in the scene.

At any rate, the nude vampire really isn't exactly a vampire, and (spoilers!) isn't exactly nude. This is odd since this is basically what the director was famous for. I'm beginning to think the title was a cynical marketing ploy.

This movie is pretty slow and not very coherent. However, it seemed to be satirizing rich industrialists, who have everything except immortality, which was fun. It has a few interesting visuals, like men in disturbing animal masks, or twin ladies in some truly odd costumes.

Somewhere in my Netflix queue is Rollin's supposed masterpiece of erotic vampire stories, Fascination. I've also recently watched The Grape of Death, which was a way more effective low budget horror story. I think that's all I'm going to pursue from this director.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (11-28-2018), lisarea (11-28-2018), Stormlight (11-29-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 05:35 PM
California Sober

Oh! We saw the Meg. bey got it from the Redbox and I was like okay fine.

To its credit, it was a lot of fun. Back to back action sequences, snappy dialogue, cool effects, and a big-ass prehistoric shark. A couple jump scares, which I hate, but not an unbearable amount.

Still crappy, though. Shit science. Stupid-ass hipster scientists that I had no reason to care about. Ruby Rose trying her darnedest to do an American accent, to varying degrees of success. Overwrought manufactured drama (which I understand is intended to be a feature, not a bug).

Our "hero", Jason Statham, has a backstory that lead him to become a tortured drunk. Probably both my current favorite and least-favorite archetype, when it normalizes abusive behavior and yet people find it sympathetic and even charming.
BrotherMan (11-29-2018), Kamilah Hauptmann (11-28-2018), specious_reasons (11-28-2018), Stormlight (11-29-2018)
Old 12-22-2018, 02:45 AM

Underworld: Blood Wars

I didn't remove this from my Netflix queue, and so I received it. I guess this is how queues work.

It's hard to explain this without giving a recap of the previous 4 movies, and then they add more backstory and mysticism. It's not aggressively worse than the rest of the series, just more of the same.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (12-23-2018), Ensign Steve (12-27-2018), Stormlight (12-24-2018)
Old 12-22-2018, 03:38 AM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

I just watched Adventure in Telezonia, and it wasn't very good.
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (12-27-2018), Kyuss Apollo (08-21-2019), specious_reasons (12-22-2018), Stormlight (12-24-2018)
Old 03-31-2019, 01:17 AM

Cat in the Cage

This one either came up as a result of a "movies like this", or I was looking for movies starring Colleen Camp. Either way, I thought to myself, "Hey this movie has Colleen Camp and... wait... Sybil Danning? This is probably lurid trash!"

Well, it's somewhat lurid, but definitely trash. The plot centers around the new wife of a rich man plotting to take his fortune with the aid of the chauffeur. The adult son, family caretaker and cat don't like the new wife very much - so much so that apparently the son was killing small animals and leaving it for the wife to discover.

Well, the rich guy gets killed, and then his murderers get killed, too. There's an unearned plot twist in the last third of the movie, and then we get an unhappy resolution.

Sybil Danning is the conniving wife, and she's wasted as she often is, by only being required to be bitchy, nude or both at the same time. I have no idea why Colleen Camp was 2nd billed here. She's barely in the movie as the protagonist’s girlfriend - maybe it's because she sang the theme song, too. The worst "actor" is the cat, who looks like it's casually playing with string while they overdubbed it with growling and hissing noises - an indication of the production values.

None of this would immediately disqualify it from a movie I might enjoy, but there's a lot of abuse of women in this movie, focused on Danning, which just made this intolerable.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (03-31-2019), Crumb (03-31-2019), Ensign Steve (04-01-2019), Kamilah Hauptmann (03-31-2019), lisarea (03-31-2019), Stormlight (04-04-2019)
Old 06-14-2019, 04:51 PM

I haven't seen this, but I have a burning need to now:

Holy hell, Glenn Danzig might've just made The Room of horror anthologies

Quote:
Danzig has made what, in his mind, is a deeply serious tribute to the horror anthology films of the ’60s and ’70s; he name-checked Mario Bava in particular, which was apt, as it often felt like Verotika was a Christopher Guest-level attempt to send up the operatic horror of that era. From the first frame to the last, the poor acting, comical staging, and delightfully bad camerawork suffuses every moment with unintentional comedy.
and this:

Quote:
It’s that rare fusion of painstakingly expressed love and total lack of ability that deliver the best of bad cinema, and he should be proud. The director of Birdemic wishes his intentions were this pure. All I want to do is watch this movie again, with as many of my friends as I can assemble. Glenn Dan-zigged where he should have Dan-zagged, and for that we should all be profoundly grateful.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (06-16-2019), Kamilah Hauptmann (06-14-2019), lisarea (06-14-2019), Sock Puppet (06-14-2019), Stormlight (06-17-2019), The Man (06-15-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 06:38 AM
Quality Contributor

Capernaum

this is a Lebanese movie about Zain, a young boy whose age is unclear since he has no birth certificate (but assumed to be 12). He serves time in juvenile jail for having stabbed his sister's (who was 11 when she died during pregnancy) husband.

In the courtroom he tells the judge that he wants to sue his parents for giving him life when they cannot provide for him.

We then flashback and see what actually happened. He runs away from home when his parents marry off (or sell) his daughter. He meets an Ethiopian illegal immigrant with her little baby and moves in with them etc.

This all is excellently done with outstanding off-the-street actors. This really is a hard to watch masterpiece. A vile masterpiece. Because the basic premise here is: if you are poor don't procreate. It's Eugenics and it's poverty porn.

And I give you an example of the message: the Ethopian illegal tells the story how she once was employed by a nice rich lady. But then she met a guy, got pregnant and left the old lady since she (the old lady) would never have accepted her with a kid. This is not questioned, in fact nothing really is. It is just what it is: if you're poor accept it and don't procreate because you can never care for your offspring. Simplistic, evil and gross.

And yet, the two kids (Zain and the little babby) are the best child actors ever.

Old 07-07-2019, 09:09 AM

In the Blood

I'd like to see Gina Carano in good things, but instead I watched In the Blood, a xenophobic action movie.

Carano and blandsome Cam Gigandet are newlyweds who travel to an island off of Puerto Rico. He gets hurt and taken away in an ambulance, but never shows up to the hospital. She's rebuffed by police and her in-laws don't trust her because of her shady past, so she takes matters into her own hands...

So, yes, Hispanic stereotypes abound, and there are these ridiculous scenes that flash back to her sordid past. I guess the makers felt they had to explain why she's such a tough, fearless person. There's a few decent action sequences, but there's a long section in the middle where not a lot happens, so it's not very exciting.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (07-07-2019), Kamilah Hauptmann (07-07-2019), lisarea (07-07-2019), Stormlight (07-16-2019), The Man (07-08-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 06:30 PM
(((The Spartacus of Anatevka)))

"Good Satan." Poorly acted, poorly costumed, SNL-type sketch stretched to nearly an hour-and-a-half. Premise: God throws a party to celebrate the impending Second Coming of his son, Christ, and invites Satan. Satan is reminded of how great Heaven is, and wants to stay. Highlights: Satan playing "Truth or Dare" with God, Joseph, Mary, and others; God throwing Christ out of Heaven for having sex with a (male) demon, and Satan getting Christ back in. I think it was on Amazon Prime, but it might have on Netflix.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (07-07-2019), Kamilah Hauptmann (07-07-2019), lisarea (07-07-2019), slimshady2357 (07-07-2019), specious_reasons (07-07-2019), Stormlight (07-16-2019), The Man (07-08-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 08:51 PM
Shitpost Sommelier

That sounds like a thing that could have been fantastic with great acting and costumes.

Old 07-12-2019, 07:25 PM

The Belko Experiment

A group of international expatriates are working for a big corporate entity in a rural office building outside of Bogota, Columbia. One day, new security guards are posted, and all the locals are turned away. Once 80 employees check in, the doors lock, and a voice tells them that the people in the building must kill a certain number of people before a given time. No one takes this entirely seriously until the time does run out, and people start dying. The implants the company had everyone get - supposedly a tracking device to prevent kidnapping - is actually a bomb. Once everyone knows it's serious, factions form, fights break out, and bad things happen.

Written by James Gunn in his edgy phase, but then passed on directing it. This is a horror movie that might pretend to have some deeper meaning, but I'm not sure. Mostly, it's kind of "The Office" meets "Battle Royal". It should be funnier, or more insightful, or something, but it's just a horror movie. The plot doesn't hold up to much scrutiny, kind of like "The Purge" doesn't either.

...but it's not terrible. It's filled with a lot of character actors who are probably better than the source material, and they fill the movie with a lot of tension. Several actors are played against type, and some not. Expectations are subverted. I didn't really care for anyone, but I was interested in what happened.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (07-13-2019), Kamilah Hauptmann (07-12-2019), lisarea (07-13-2019), Stormlight (07-16-2019), The Man (07-18-2019)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature