Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Lifestyle

Old 10-10-2005, 11:44 PM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

Default Re: Tipping

I tip well and frequently and I'm proud of it. Mock me if you will, but until the extra dollar or two matters more to me than it does to the service personnel I'm tipping, I'll keep on leaving 20% or more.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:45 PM

It's reassuring to know that Scarlet and XYZA agree with Mr. Pink.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:03 AM
Queen?

When it comes to hair dresser I tip a good 4-5 dollars over the price of the service she provides. She does a great job and since she rents her booth at the salon she works at- hey we all need the money. When I go to a restaurant I expect good food and good service. I tip well for it. If it's just not there...I walk out without leaving a tip. Hopefully they will get the hint and do better next time.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:19 AM
Admin

I paid $13 for a haircut today and left a $3 tip. Thanks for all your input.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:36 AM
Servant of the Dark Lord

I never leave tips. Why should I leave a tip for them to do their jobs? Isn't the threat of being fired for incompetence enough?

Allan Glenn. 1984-2005 RIP
:countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep:
Under no circumstances should Quentin Tarantino be allowed to befoul Star Trek.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:06 AM
Vaginally-privileged sociopathic cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonCapitan2002
I never leave tips. Why should I leave a tip for them to do their jobs? Isn't the threat of being fired for incompetence enough?
You know what? Waitresses make $2.13 AN HOUR TO DEAL WITH ASSHOLES.

There's people like you, there's rude jerks, people who sexually harass them...

*grrrrrrrrrrrrrr*
Old 10-11-2005, 07:13 AM
Admin

I tip for four primary reasons:
  1. I live in a culture where service people's wages are based on the expectation that they will receive tips.
  2. I have personally worked in many environments where I had to serve customers
  3. Service jobs are typically very hard and not very rewarding
  4. To quote Arrested Development: Two dollars means a snack for me but it means a big deal to you.
Unlike a lot of people I don't base my tip on how friendly, efficient or subservient the service person is, I just tip well as a matter of course. As far as I'm concerned it's just part of the cost of whatever the service is. But that's just me; I realize it's customary to measure a tip against the service person's performance and I don't see anything wrong with that practice. I only withhold a tip if a service person is outright rude to me, and even then I'll often simply lessen the tip instead of withhold it. :shrug:

Of course I would rather have paid $13 for my haircut than $16, but as I see it that's just the way it is.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:00 AM
Raping the Marlboro Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical-Chick
You know what? Waitresses make $2.13 AN HOUR TO DEAL WITH ASSHOLES. There's people like you, there's rude jerks, people who sexually harass them... *grrrrrrrrrrrrrr*
See, I have to wonder sometimes with things like this, if tipping really is an improvement. Yes, it may provide short-term financial income for poorly paid workers. But what about in the long run? Isn't it just a way for employers to escape actually improving working conditions and pay, by saying, "Oh, they get tips"? Why not put the money towards unions or political campaigns to improve worker's rights and conditions?

I dunno. It just seems like tipping such as this is propping up an already fucked-up system, which yes, is a massive problem, rather than doing any real good.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:40 AM

There's a minimum wage in this country. So I don't tip. (Not that I would anyway). So they get just as much money as I do, now.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:14 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adora
I dunno. It just seems like tipping such as this is propping up an already fucked-up system, which yes, is a massive problem, rather than doing any real good.
I think that's just a cop-out, really. I'm not suggesting that it's insincere and I agree that the system is fucked up and it would be nice if people were more concerned with efforts to get a living wage for service workers, but of course witholding tips by itself doesn't do a thing to help reform the system. Since I'm not aware of any activist efforts to divert tip money to unions and labor law reformation, I think most people who don't tip are just cheap.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:41 PM
Raping the Marlboro Man

I'm not saying withhold tips, but make a conscious effort to put the money towards the other means of worker improvement instead. And hey, I don't tip because a) can't afford it (student!), and b) my country has a decent minimum wage (so far...) and c) like I said, most places I've seen that have a tip jar give me shitty service, and I also know many of them go 50% of that jar to the manager and the rest gets divvied up between the waiters, even if one waiter was an excellent server and another was crap. What's the point of tipping then?
Old 10-12-2005, 12:04 AM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adora
I'm not saying withhold tips, but make a conscious effort to put the money towards the other means of worker improvement instead.
I understood that, I just don't believe very many non-tippers (if any) actually do that. But anyway I wasn't thinking of you, you mentioned earlier that you tip when the service is good. Plus I know sometimes people can't afford to tip and that the standards for tipping are different in different countries. I was just referring to people who can easily afford it and live in countries where tips are a significant part of a given service person's wages, but don't tip on principle.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:34 AM
Vaginally-privileged sociopathic cultist

I would like to point out that wait staff remembers people. If you stiffed someone, you'll get treated badly. I tip well for good service, and I get treated like a princess at my favorite restaurants.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:37 AM
A fellow sophisticate

Heh. I once thought I was leaving a $3 tip, but later I realized I was missing a $20 bill, so I actually left a $22 tip on a $20 restaurant tab. I've been treated like visiting royalty there ever since.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:36 AM
A fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi

Warren,

I figured the only thing you'd tip is cows. :P
Old 10-12-2005, 04:38 AM
A fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical-Chick
You know what? Waitresses make $2.13 AN HOUR TO DEAL WITH ASSHOLES.

There's people like you, there's rude jerks, people who sexually harass them...

*grrrrrrrrrrrrrr*
Yep. At least in the United States people need to get a clue. There is minimum wage, and then there is the wage paid to waitresses and waiters. The latter pay scale is much lower.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:57 AM
Quality Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarletpeaches
There's a minimum wage in this country. So I don't tip. (Not that I would anyway). So they get just as much money as I do, now.
Tipping is one of the problems a lot of Europeans encounter in the US, as alphamale correctly mentionned. It feels completely outrageous and wrong to tip 10 or 20% in restaurants. So I guess Europeans are not exactly regarded as good customers in the US. :sadcheer:
Old 10-12-2005, 03:11 PM
Solipsist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormlight
Tipping is one of the problems a lot of Europeans encounter in the US, as alphamale correctly mentionned. It feels completely outrageous and wrong to tip 10 or 20% in restaurants.
A 10% tip is normal in the UK and here in SA, in restaurants. 20% seems outrageous (and 5% outrageous in a hairdressers :D). Would a 10% tip for a meal really be outrageous in Lux?

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Old 10-12-2005, 03:21 PM
dancing backward in high heels

Quote:
Tipping is one of the problems a lot of Europeans encounter in the US, as alphamale correctly mentionned. It feels completely outrageous and wrong to tip 10 or 20% in restaurants. So I guess Europeans are not exactly regarded as good customers in the US. :sadcheer:
Depends. I waitressed for 8 years during college and grad school, first at a chain restaurant and then at an upscale restaurant in a hotel, and you just can't trust stereotypes. About the only thing consistent about Europeans was that many of them complained that our coffee was too weak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moncap
I assume you don't go to the same restaurant twice. As CC said, we remember customers like you. :whup:

As a former waitress, I usually tip 20-25%, 'cause I know the shit they have to go through. If the service is really bad, I'll tip less, but I've never stiffed anyone.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:18 PM
Coffee, tea, anti-Nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyelzu
on a related note, i tip tattoo artists and piercers and i tip them well.

i gave the girl that pierced the nape of my neck like a 50 dollar tip the piercing, 4 barbells only cost 150 dollars

the tat on my right arm i probably gave jimmy 150 dollars in tip over the five sessions plus 3 swords, two ceremonial daggers and a battle axe.

but i got the swords and stuff for free and jimmy charged me 350 dollars for 14 hours of work, tattoo artists normally charge 50+ dollars an hour.
Whoa, $350 for 14 hours! That's one hell of a good price! I always have problems deciding what to tip my tattoo artist. What sort of things do you look for when deciding to tip your tattoo artist? Since they're the guys attacking my skin with permanant marks, I hate to be cheap. My artist always sounds grateful at anything given to him, but he does such a great job. He does own the shop, so that throws in another thing to consider. I hear that he loves to be tipped with food, but other than that, I'm usually just hoping that $50 is enough for a 2 hour session.

As for tipping waitresses, I always do 20%. Well, almost always. You have to really suck to get anything lower. The $2.13/hr is really only there to cover the taxes on the tips you claim to the gov't. The highest check I ever got at $2.13/hr was for $50.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:09 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland98
If the service is really bad, I'll tip less, but I've never stiffed anyone.
My whole party (4-6 people, I can't remember exactly) stiffed a waiter at a fairly nice restaurant once. Not because when he asked me what I wanted, he misinterpreted my saying "same thing" while nodding at the previous orderer as "nothing", but because when I finally asked if my meal was ever going to come (when everyone else was nearly finished with theirs) he repeatedly insisted that I had said I didn't want anything before finally giving in, and then gave us no break on the bill despite the misunderstanding. So, no tip for him.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:14 AM
Quality Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP
Quote:
Tipping is one of the problems a lot of Europeans encounter in the US, as alphamale correctly mentionned. It feels completely outrageous and wrong to tip 10 or 20% in restaurants.
A 10% tip is normal in the UK and here in SA, in restaurants. 20% seems outrageous (and 5% outrageous in a hairdressers :D). Would a 10% tip for a meal really be outrageous in Lux?
No, but it is unusual. Let's face facts: There's a 15% service charge already included in the bill, so any tip is strictly a recognition of the waiter's service.

I would say that a normal tip here would range from 1%-5%, and normally nothing during the week at noon.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:18 AM
Admin

Quote:
There's a 15% service charge already included in the bill, so any tip is strictly a recognition of the waiter's service.
I think that's a good policy, assuming the 15% goes to the waitstaff (either directly or reflected in their wages) and not the owners pocket. It's not uncommon for restaurants in the US add a 15% service charge for parties of 7 or more, but it's rare that a service charge is added otherwise. At least in the low to mid-range restaurants I go to.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:26 AM
Quality Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscousmemories
Quote:
There's a 15% service charge already included in the bill, so any tip is strictly a recognition of the waiter's service.
I think that's a good policy, assuming the 15% goes to the waitstaff (either directly or reflected in their wages) and not the owners pocket.
Yes, it does go to the waiters.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:03 AM
cold, heartless bitch

the worst tipper I've ever met was a former waitress. she was embarassing, really. she was also the worst customer I've ever had to share a table with. I was shocked to find out I'm supposed to tip gas station attendants. I usually round it up to a dollar amount or minimum 15% though I won't if they are really rude to me or make my day worse in some way.

The worst suggestion I've ever heard is to glue a penny to the table.

After working in construction I kind of think people are just plain lucky to get paid at all. I tend not to take my frustrations out on the average person though. Just people well trained to deal with my anger. Or who like it.

- Albert Camus

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Lifestyle