Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law

Old 08-31-2009, 07:02 PM
Guðríð the Gloomy

Default Re: Health Care Reform Dead

I opened this thread: Restructure the US Government - Freethought Forum because y'all got me thinking. :)
Old 08-31-2009, 07:03 PM
rude, crude, lewd, and unsophisticated

Yeah...But it does just push the 'contractor with the government' down one level. There is always some point where the private sector producers and the government interact. When that happens, it's in the interest of the producer to gouge and it is often in the interest of the government contact to participate. Corruption often happens at the point of contract and the 'public' rarely has their interests protected.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Adams View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by godfry n. glad View Post
Well, I think the whole national structure is a joke. The United States is too large.

It needs to be disassembled into about six smaller nations. Then we could have each of those nations restructure their electoral functions as they see fit (I'd push for a single house parliamentary style for Cascadia, with anybody practicing law forbidden to serve as a legislator).

But that's just me.
We cede 3rd place by land area to China over my cold, dead, body.
Why? Why is that important?
Old 08-31-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Well, I think the whole national structure is a joke. The United States is too large.

It needs to be disassembled into about six smaller nations. Then we could have each of those nations restructure their electoral functions as they see fit (I'd push for a single house parliamentary style for Cascadia, with anybody practicing law forbidden to serve as a legislator).

But that's just me.
The goddamn reds will win!
Old 08-31-2009, 07:22 PM
Guðríð the Gloomy

Quote:
Yeah...But it does just push the 'contractor with the government' down one level. There is always some point where the private sector producers and the government interact. When that happens, it's in the interest of the producer to gouge and it is often in the interest of the government contact to participate. Corruption often happens at the point of contract and the 'public' rarely has their interests protected.
I dunno. But if done correctly, (I know that's a big butt) it could eliminate a helluva lot of administrative cost and standardize what people are being charged for office visits, procedures, medicine etc. Of course, there is always the potential for fraud and abuse. Frankly, though, I'd rather take the chance on a single payer system than the fucked up mess that is in place now.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:24 PM
Done

I am going to an event on Wednesday night on Bainbridge Island where a group of us will stand vigil over those who are being harmed by the health care system. I just can't quietly stand down in defeat yet, instead of complaining, I'm voicing my concerns wherever I can.
Thanks, from:
Garnet (08-31-2009), lisarea (08-31-2009)
Old 08-31-2009, 07:36 PM
Vice Cobra Assistant Commander

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

But that's just me.
Why do you hate America so?
Old 08-31-2009, 07:45 PM
Guðríð the Gloomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plant Woman View Post
I am going to an event on Wednesday night on Bainbridge Island where a group of us will stand vigil over those who are being harmed by the health care system. I just can't quietly stand down in defeat yet, instead of complaining, I'm voicing my concerns wherever I can.
One of the things that I find so frustrating about this is that I don't know what I can do. My Senators are both Democrats and are supporters of health care reform. My Representative, however, is saying things like this: http://www.mikerogers.house.gov/newsroom.aspx?A=589

How can I effectively get their attention in a way that won't cause my head to explode?
Old 08-31-2009, 08:13 PM
Done

Just remember he's a politician and he's going to say whatever he thinks will keep the votes coming in. Just point out the facts and let him know you think health reform is important. He's catering to the ignorant, let him know that you are not with a well-reasoned intelligent response.

I'll send you some anti-head-explosion spray if needed. :lol:
Thanks, from:
Garnet (08-31-2009)
Old 08-31-2009, 11:57 PM

An opinion piece from the local rag...it raises some interesting factual comparisons.
chunksmediocrites (09-01-2009), Garnet (09-01-2009), Kael (09-01-2009), Master Taran (09-01-2009), Plant Woman (09-01-2009), The Man (09-29-2009), zachhcaz22 (09-01-2009)
Old 09-01-2009, 01:55 AM
Dogehlaugher -Scrutari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnet View Post
Quote:
I dunno. But if done correctly, (I know that's a big butt) it could eliminate a helluva lot of administrative cost and standardize what people are being charged for office visits, procedures, medicine etc. Of course, there is always the potential for fraud and abuse. Frankly, though, I'd rather take the chance on a single payer system than the fucked up mess that is in place now.
A fair number of ethical doctors, don't want to be doctors anymore because they have to do too much administrative bullshit. It's a mess, each company has a zillion different plans. Most doctors, and other health care providers, do get into it because they want to help people.
I'd welcome some simplicity, different forms, pre-authorization, having to put different codes on the same damn treatment, it's an administrative nightmare.
Thanks, from:
Garnet (09-01-2009), The Man (09-29-2009)
Old 09-01-2009, 02:22 AM
Guðríð the Gloomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qingdai View Post
Quote:
Quote:
A fair number of ethical doctors, don't want to be doctors anymore because they have to do too much administrative bullshit. It's a mess, each company has a zillion different plans. Most doctors, and other health care providers, do get into it because they want to help people.
I'd welcome some simplicity, different forms, pre-authorization, having to put different codes on the same damn treatment, it's an administrative nightmare.
Particularly when they are dealing with insurance companies like mine that will look for any excuse to deny a claim. One of my doctors made a one digit mistake on a diagnosis code. Instead of correcting it after a conversation with the office, it took 3 months and numerous pieces of correspondence to get the fucking thing fixed.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:06 AM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Particularly when they are dealing with insurance companies like mine that will look for any excuse to deny a claim. One of my doctors made a one digit mistake on a diagnosis code. Instead of correcting it after a conversation with the office, it took 3 months and numerous pieces of correspondence to get the fucking thing fixed.
There is an entire industry that has grown up around that. I consulted for one some time ago. They pre-check claims made to insurance companies and charge a fee for the service.
Thanks, from:
Garnet (09-01-2009), The Man (09-29-2009)
Old 09-01-2009, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

But that's just me.
The goddamn reds will win!
Win what? The biggest, bloated, most oversized nation award? BFD.

Rather than be the biggest nation, I'd rather have the happiest citizens.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:39 AM
Vice Cobra Assistant Commander

Wolverines!
Old 09-01-2009, 04:34 AM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

Quote:
So, instead of quietly standing down in defeat you are going to attend a vigil and quietly stand up in defeat?
Old 09-01-2009, 06:21 AM
Servant of the Dark Lord

It's an admirable gesture at least. While most definitely futile, I can see how at least making the attempt might be worthwhile.

Allan Glenn. 1984-2005 RIP
:countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep:
Under no circumstances should Quentin Tarantino be allowed to befoul Star Trek.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:28 AM

I'm not giving up yet. I've contacted my representative twice now. I'm urging that a public option go forward and that single-payer remain on the table. I think my rep is ticked at 'his' section of the proposed legislation is being misused for the 'death panels' bullshit.

I've given up on Wyden, but we've a nOOb in Senate. Maybe he still has stars in his eyes. Ever since Wyden married up in the world, all he's had in his eyes is dollar signs.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:51 AM
Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk View Post
Quote:
So, instead of quietly standing down in defeat you are going to attend a vigil and quietly stand up in defeat?
I am not standing in defeat, we are standing vigil over those who are being harmed by today's health care system. I volunteered to read someone's health care problems. It's not the only thing I am doing either. If we want health care reform, we need to have our voices heard.

I'm not giving up and refuse to believe it's over yet.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:53 AM
Servant of the Dark Lord

Quote:
I'm not giving up yet. I've contacted my representative twice now. I'm urging that a public option go forward and that single-payer remain on the table. I think my rep is ticked at 'his' section of the proposed legislation is being misused for the 'death panels' bullshit.

I've given up on Wyden, but we've a nOOb in Senate. Maybe he still has stars in his eyes. Ever since Wyden married up in the world, all he's had in his eyes is dollar signs.
If you want to make like Sisyphus by all means be my guest. I will say that you are only in for bitter disappointment. The US government has been bought and sold by Corporate America and it will never be of, by, and for the people ever again (if it ever truly was).

:countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep:
Old 09-01-2009, 07:58 AM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

It has been my experience that at vigils, as opposed to protest demonstrations, people stand around and converse quietly with one another. So, I was responding to the use of the phrase "quietly stand down" and contrasting it with "quietly stand up". The urge to snark (is snark a verb?) was irresistable.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:04 AM
Done

I figured as such.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:26 AM
Mr. Condescending Dick Nose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk View Post
The urge to snark (is snark a verb?) was irresistable.
:orly: How hard did you try, Ang?
godfry n. glad (09-01-2009)
Old 09-01-2009, 11:44 AM

Robert Reich has a post up about the claim that health care reform is dead, with an all-too-true first paragraph:

Quote:
Washington, D.C. is an echo chamber in which anyone who sounds authoritative repeats the conventional authoritative wisdom about the "consensus" of inside opinion, which they've heard from someone else who sounds equally authoritative, who of course has heard it from another authoritative source. Follow the trail to its start and you often find an obscure congressional or White House staffer who has seen some half-assed poll number or briefing memo, but seeking to feel important hypes it a media personality or lobbyist who, desperate to sound authoritative, pronounces it as truth. In any other place on the planet it would be called rumor, gossip, or drivel. In our nation's capital it's called "inside information." The process would be harmless except that it creates self-fulfilling prophesies. Since most of our elected representatives would rather not stick their necks out lest they lose their heads, they tend to rush toward whatever consensus seems to be emerging -- which, of course, is based on authoritative reports about the emerging consensus.
Robert Reich's Blog: Beware Authoritative "Inside Washington" Sources Who Say The Public Option is Dead
Thanks, from:
Crumb (09-01-2009), Garnet (09-01-2009), godfry n. glad (09-01-2009), The Man (09-29-2009)
Old 09-01-2009, 12:43 PM
Servant of the Dark Lord

I don't think a public option is enough. Private insurers should be taken out of the equation altogether. At most, they should be able to supplement public insurance.

Thanks, from:
godfry n. glad (09-01-2009)

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law