Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Lifestyle

Old 04-13-2012, 07:48 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Default Re: Springtime for Geek Girls?

On the comments of that fake-geek article, they talk about casual fans vs. geeks/nerds. Any takes on that?
Old 04-13-2012, 08:00 PM
Tellifying

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebs View Post
For extra amusement, one sees people in MMOs who are contemptuous of the roleplayers, whom they consider "nerds".
All the while conveniently forgetting the RPG part of the acronym.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:02 PM
God Made Me A Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
On the comments of that fake-geek article, they talk about casual fans vs. geeks/nerds. Any takes on that?
Ugh. We get that in MMOs and gaming in general, with a bunch of people who are amazingly smug and self-righteous about how they are "hardcore" gamers and deserve to be taken more seriously. Most of them are sexist, racist, homophobes. They also tend to look down on me as not a "real" gamer. This amuses me, since almost none of them spend as much time, effort, or money on video games as I do. :P
Save me / and when you see me strut / remind me of what left this outlaw torn
Thanks, from:
Stormlight (04-16-2012)
Old 04-13-2012, 08:05 PM
Coffin Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wei yau View Post
Quote:
For extra amusement, one sees people in MMOs who are contemptuous of the roleplayers, whom they consider "nerds".
As far back as the '80s, people were already separating RPG players into 4 archetypes: roleplayers, powergamers, storytellers and IIRC weirdos or somesuch.

Heh, a search for the article title "The Fourfold Way" lists 3 indexes of that particular magazine and issue.
wei yau (04-13-2012)
Old 04-13-2012, 08:31 PM
Coffin Creep

Quote:
I think casual can refer to either of two things. The first is someone who likes a specific work rather than a range of things. For example, I've known a fair number of people whose interest in science fiction begins and ends with ST:TNG.

The second would refer to someone who likes a variety of things but isn't that deep into them. It might be considered moderately elitist in the sense that it separates out people who don't have a deep knowledge of the subject from the 'true believers.' It's problematic because it explicitly includes people who are new to the fandom - possibly pushing away those who might grow into a deeper understanding of the subject. It's also inherently fuzzy in its definition, allowing for someone to feel that their level of understanding is the benchmark against which everyone else must be measured.
Demimonde (04-13-2012), LadyShea (04-13-2012), Qingdai (04-14-2012), Stormlight (04-16-2012)
Old 04-13-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:
I've known a fair number of people whose interest in science fiction begins and ends with ST:TNG
Mine begins and ends with HHGTTG
Thanks, from:
Crumb (04-13-2012), Ensign Steve (04-14-2012), livius drusus (04-17-2012), Pan Narrans (04-17-2012), S.Vashti (04-14-2012), Ymir's blood (04-13-2012)
Old 04-13-2012, 08:42 PM
an angry unicorn or a non-murdering leprechaun

Quote:
I think that has everything to do with how the usage of the word has shifted. The hardcore fans of the past had to deal with being called "geeks/nerds" as well as other social penalties for "being" that. Overtime they began to take on those labels as a self identifier and as a matter of pride. Now that many of those things have entered the popular culture they are often valued by the media which once condemned them. While once they were sitting alone at the metaphorical lunch table, now there are people wanting to have a seat there.

I do find it similar to the counter cultural "freaks" of the sixties. Easy Rider was a fiction, but many people did have to deal with prejudice and violence because of their lifestyle and interests. They were targeted by both community and institutions and penalized for being different. Once that new culture reached the main stream the danger dissipated and others were more free to adopt the counter cultural looks, lifestyles, and interests. They had greater liberty to get their freak on.

I think that mainstream acceptance has permitted new fans to be exposed to these interests. It has also allowed people who were more closeted in their interests to come forward, now that the pressure has gone. People face fewer penalties today for "geeking out."

I think that the notions of casual/vs hardcore are somewhat conflated with past history. The "hardcore" geeks are not just hardcore for their encyclopedic knowledge, but for their having to suffer and "bleed" for their interests in the past. "Hardcore" suggests something more than level of interests, IMO. I think the casual fan is perceived as lesser by those individuals because they did not have to pay their dues, in a manner of speaking. The twisted part is that now it is the established "hardcore" types who seek to make the new or casual fan suffer as a type of hazing to become part of the community. They are taking on the roles that bullies once held for them. Which is sad.

Actually, when you consider it from that angle, it is no wonder that women are disproportionally affected by this discussion. The n00bs and casuals are becoming an Other in the geek community which has been already established. It is easy to combine that state of being Other with the othering that takes place in a community perceived as being male by default. So a "casual" girl becomes "fake" and therefor a convenient target. She can even be converted to an enemy or even a monster, if the group's mores consider those traits to be a dangerous quality.
LadyShea (04-13-2012), lisarea (04-13-2012), Stormlight (04-16-2012), Ymir's blood (04-13-2012)
Old 04-13-2012, 08:59 PM
Coffin Creep

That reminds me of something I thought of last night but elected not to put in a post.

Suffering didn't make me a better geek. It made me a worse person.
BrotherMan (04-13-2012), Demimonde (04-13-2012), Kael (04-13-2012), LadyShea (10-14-2014), lisarea (04-13-2012), livius drusus (04-17-2012), Pan Narrans (04-17-2012), Qingdai (04-14-2012), S.Vashti (04-14-2012), seebs (04-13-2012), Sock Puppet (04-16-2012), Stormlight (04-16-2012)
Old 04-13-2012, 09:41 PM
an angry unicorn or a non-murdering leprechaun

Ymir, I would thank that twice if I could. It is so true. :skullglomp:
BrotherMan (04-13-2012), Stormlight (04-16-2012), Ymir's blood (04-13-2012)
Old 04-13-2012, 10:21 PM
God Made Me A Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ymir's blood View Post
That reminds me of something I thought of last night but elected not to put in a post.

Suffering didn't make me a better geek. It made me a worse person.
I think on the whole it has made me in some ways better. I'm not a very empathic person, so having experienced some classes of trouble makes me a lot more capable of comprehending them than I would be otherwise. I'm useless when people have problems I can't relate to; I can't model them well enough to even begin to suggest helpful things.
Thanks, from:
Stormlight (04-16-2012)
Old 04-13-2012, 10:22 PM
God Made Me A Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wei yau View Post
Quote:
I know. When people ask why I RP in MMOs, I point out that the genre is "MMORPG", and I figure I'd rather play the whole game than half of it. :P
Thanks, from:
S.Vashti (04-14-2012), Stormlight (04-16-2012)
Old 04-16-2012, 08:44 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

It is my favorite when I see something that is so relevant to an actual, active thrad:

http://sakurasaurus.wordpress.com/20...-wondered-why/
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (04-16-2012), Kael (04-16-2012), LadyShea (04-16-2012), Stormlight (04-17-2012), Ymir's blood (04-16-2012)
Old 04-16-2012, 09:57 PM
God Made Me A Skeptic

Wow.

From the comments:
The ones with the boobs out? People can judge them all they want, it’s what they desire anyway. The rest of us do it for the love of it XD
So, heads up: Unless your goal is to get attention and judged for your appearance, you must not cosplay as a character whose boobs are visible.

That's... just upsetting.
Thanks, from:
Kael (04-16-2012), LadyShea (04-16-2012), lisarea (04-16-2012), Stormlight (04-17-2012), Ymir's blood (04-16-2012)
Old 04-16-2012, 10:24 PM

He does have a point, though. Women should retract their boobs if they don't want to be harassed.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (04-16-2012), Kael (04-16-2012), LadyShea (04-16-2012), livius drusus (04-17-2012), Qingdai (04-17-2012), Watser? (05-04-2012), wildernesse (04-16-2012), Ymir's blood (04-16-2012)
Old 04-16-2012, 10:30 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Rules to Not Being Harassed:
  • Don't be a lady.
  • Don't look like a lady.
  • Don't act like a lady.
  • :purr:
Thanks, from:
Gonzo (06-11-2012), lisarea (04-16-2012), livius drusus (04-17-2012), Ymir's blood (04-16-2012)
Old 04-16-2012, 10:38 PM
Coffin Creep

FWIW, that person identifies as female.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:57 PM

Ha ha, I don't know why I called her 'he.' It's even obvious from the quote.

I think I'm just more used to making fun of dudes or something.
Thanks, from:
Ymir's blood (04-16-2012)
Old 04-16-2012, 10:57 PM

WTF this comment?

Quote:
Jesus fucking Christ, this post is just a train-wreck. The TL;DR version is basically: “I don’t like when men who have no shot with me talk about me as if they had any chance whatsoever.” That is what this boils down to, and it’s not exclusive to “grrrl geeks” or whatever. Women always feel uneasy being judged as a potential mate by males that they have rejected. It’s not at all why women band together in their female-exclusive communities – which also exist outside geek culture, believe it or not!

As for why “men” like to make anonymous comments on random pictures and videos on the Internet, it is a mystery and it’s sad that it only affects female Star Trek geeks. Imagine if I searched for Justin Bieber videos on youtube, while being Justin Bieber. What are the odds that someone would have an opinion on me? Clearly there needs to be a Justin Bieber exclusive website community forum group where nobody else is allowed so that Justin Bieber may be sheltered from any unwanted attention.

Oh, and whatever invention you used to identify the sex of every person commenting your big tits could probably be sold to NASA for like a billion space dollars.

To end on a positive note: I like how you berate beta males and call alpha males “nice.” It shows that you are using rational thinking and not just acting the way your hormones tell you to act. Alpha males are much nicer than disgusting beta males (who should get scorned for being shy and awkward.)
Thanks, from:
lisarea (04-16-2012), livius drusus (04-17-2012), Stormlight (04-17-2012)
Old 04-16-2012, 11:15 PM
God Made Me A Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
Ha ha, I don't know why I called her 'he.' It's even obvious from the quote.

I think I'm just more used to making fun of dudes or something.
What really confused me is that that was the poster of the original blog entry. So she almost gets it. It's like "well, gosh, sure does suck being judged on appearance all the time. Boy, I hate it when that happens to me and people think I'm being slutty for attention. I wish they'd only do it to those people over there who dress like sluts." SO CLOSE.

Not unique to this at all. I've met a handful of gays who are really offended by the "freaks" at gay pride parades. Yeah, good of you to notice those horrible people having sex lives someone else disapproves of. Maybe you should call them names so they'll stop.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:18 PM
Coffin Creep

Quote:
WTF this comment?
It's always nice when someone's issues reinterpret the words they read. I can only assume that the commenter is referring to Shatner, Takei and "the guys from the fansite" as Alpha Males, just because they are the ones who didn't act like creeps. To be honest, it seems like every time someone trots out the alpha/beta divide, the remainder of their words can be safely ignored. It's as if they started out by saying that they aren't racists. "Don't criticize me, I'm a BETA MALE and have been persecuted!"

Bonus points for equating anyone whose picture is online with a celebrity. Even if the shit that people throw at celebrities was justified, it still wouldn't be fair game on everyone else.
LadyShea (04-17-2012), Qingdai (04-17-2012), Stormlight (04-17-2012)
Old 04-16-2012, 11:30 PM

I have to admit I don't even understand cosplay, like I can't relate to it in any way, really. But it seems that the options for women's costumes are going to be limited somewhat to the way women are costumed in the media, and that always skews toward revealing. So if someone is dressed like OH GOD I DON'T EVEN KNOW EXAMPLES some kind of bikini fighter or something, isn't it possible that she actually likes that bikini fighting game or whatever and didn't just choose the outfit because it had a bikini?
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (04-17-2012)
Old 04-16-2012, 11:47 PM
Coffin Creep

I think a great deal of the problem comes down to people feeling they have the right to assume why someone is dressed in a particular fashion. However, it's hard to completely disregard that viewpoint when someone is dressed in a bikini version of a costume that shouldn't be a bikini. Somewhere recently, I saw a female wookie costume that was a fur bikini. Just that, no mask or anything to signify that the wearer was actually a wookie. Maybe they were cosplaying as a wookie hunter?

The commenter in the thread mentioned having talked to some people dressed in such a fashion, or perhaps just dressed in more accurate but still skimpy clothing and determined that they knew nothing about who they were portraying. So yeah, in those specific cases, it's probably ok to say they aren't doing it out of love for the character. However, that doesn't mean that anyone else should be judged for what those specific individuals are doing.
BrotherMan (04-17-2012), Kael (04-17-2012), LadyShea (04-17-2012), lisarea (04-16-2012), seebs (04-17-2012), slimshady2357 (04-17-2012), Stormlight (04-17-2012)
Old 04-17-2012, 12:02 AM
God Made Me A Skeptic

Consider Naruto, where the main character (who is a boy) has a shapeshift technique called Harem no Jutsu. I saw a couple of girls cosplaying as that once. They had very carefully arranged stylized little fluffy clouds on. They had a long conversation with hotel security.

I had stuff with me, so I made a badge thing that looked just like the "EXHIBITOR" badges only it said "EXHIBITIONIST" for them.

The most famous male examples, of course, are Man Faye and Sailor Bubba.

Mostly, though... My feeling is that people who dress up as things from a show are probably doing it because it was fun, or because they like the show, or because they wanted a costume and a friend had one that fit them, or because they want to show off their looks, or because they're trying to overcome crippling insecurity about their looks, or because they didn't even think about it and that was what was clean, or because they lost a bet, or because they won a bet, or if there's a girl involved, or if someone's paying them.
Thanks, from:
Pan Narrans (04-17-2012), Ymir's blood (04-17-2012)
Old 04-17-2012, 04:16 AM
happy now, Mussolini?

This reminds me of the time when the Grateful Dead suddenly became super-popular.