Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium

Old 03-08-2010, 05:07 AM
winging it

Default Re: Weird Dream(s)

I dreamed last night that I was at a meeting (could have been church or some similar get together) and my seat was a toilet, which I was USING. :crap:

I finished doing my thing and thought, "geez, now I have to wipe but that's going to get the attention of the people around me." :shaketp:

I did the next thing and then I thought, "geez, now I have to flush my toilet and THAT'S going to get the attention of the people around me." And when I was done flushing I just crossed my legs and acted like nothing had happened. :girltoilet:

What does it mean??
Thanks, from:
JoeP (03-08-2010), Stormlight (03-08-2010)
Old 03-08-2010, 05:17 AM
Solipsist

Is this the first toilet dream you've had? If so, it means you are a repressed weirdo.

If it's happened before, then it means you are a human being.

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
Tanda (03-12-2010)
Old 03-09-2010, 12:49 AM
A Lover, Not A Fighter

Weird dreams are a nightly occurence for me, so much that I consider it "normal". Last night (actually early this morning, around 6:30 am) that I had one weird enough to cause me to make enough noise that the person in the living room came to check on me -

I was in a communal kitchen - a cross between the (RL) kitchens of living on a compound overseas and the break room of one of my old corporate jobs - and grumbling about how the refrigerator had been way over-crowded and we needed to get at least two for the population, otherwise I had to wade through all sorts of old food and stuff to get to the string cheese (?!) I wanted from the back. After arguing about this, I decided to retire to my "cabin" (this part is part the compound and part LOST) only to discover that my private bathroom had been... shall we say... descrated by persons unknown.

So in the dream I went back to the common area to ask for some help (clean towels, etc.) to deal with the mess and my sister came back with me to help clean up. Then she became convinced that the perpetrator might be hiding in my walk-in closet (despite the fact that I didn't have a walk-in closet at either place but in the dream I did). She rummaged around in the crawly-hidey spaces and didn't find anything or anyone so she went into the bathroom to start mopping up. When I was heading out the front door I saw a movement from the closet and then an old friend of mine (from overseas) was coming out of the closet with some sort of weapon and some glowing eyes at which point I started backpedaling in slo-mo and screaming - which is also when I woke up to my guest saying "are you ok?" I had about 30 seconds of that sleep-paralysis thing after that but shook it off.

Paging Dr. Freud...

I've noticed that a lot of my disturbing/recurrent dreams have to do with old homes, old workplaces, and weirdly, kitchens. Trying to find things that aren't there. Also, trying to get places and being thwarted, or trying to dial numbers and always getting one digit off and having to start over. :chin:

- Esther Tallamy
Thanks, from:
Dingfod (03-09-2010)
Old 03-09-2010, 02:02 AM
nominalistic existential pragmaticist

A couple nights ago, I watched the Hancock tower get sliced in two from a slowly falling broken piece of space station (the space station piece was scimitar-shaped). The top of the Hancock fell into lake Michigan, with the space station debris on top of it. I was about a mile or so away from it all.

I have started to ponder this sort of stuff a lot, looking for patterns and what could cause them from my waking life, and one of the most common events is that these catastrophes occur in slow motion, and involve enormous man-made structures.

You folks ever watch Thunderbirds? The "supermarionation" kids tv show? It also had improbably large craft, moving at impossibly slow speeds. I wonder if my unease when watching the show was the obvious physical impossibilites I was watching as large machines plodded through the air and turned on a dime. All my "large space object falling on cities" dreams are quite like that.
Thanks, from:
Dingfod (03-09-2010)
Old 03-09-2010, 03:30 PM
Vice Cobra Assistant Commander

A couple nights ago I dreamed that I was on a bus that had these things like the bindings for a snowboard mounted on the front, right under the driver's window, so you could strap your feet in and sort of Superman in front of the bus as it drove. The best part was giving high fives to passing motorcyclists. Someone needs to invent that thing so I can ride that way for real.
Thanks, from:
But (03-09-2010), Dingfod (03-09-2010), Tanda (03-12-2010)
Old 03-13-2010, 04:56 PM
So Fucking Special

I have a lot of weird dreams... one I still remember from over 10 years ago was being in a mall eating "cocaine pills" with 'Jenny' from Forrest Gump.....
Old 03-13-2010, 08:33 PM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

Slow Wave is a comic about weird dreams that people send in.

Anyway, here's one of mine:

So, there were two friends of mine, B and G, who are both straight guys who I used to room with (B is my best friend now). Anyway, B and G had agreed to fuck each other, and to let me and another one of my friends, R, watch. R is bi. So me and R got to the room where they were gonna do it, and B & G were on the bed and all, but then G refused to do it. And then me and R were annoyed.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:51 PM
Dogehlaugher -Scrutari

I had a dream my best friend was in federal prison and I was trying to visit her, except they were handing out free microwaved sandwiches in plastic bags and there was a huge line.
I opted to give her some cash on her books for commissary instead, then I was informed that I'd still have to wait, because that would also give me a free sandwich and I had to wait for them to heat it up.

My son's school gives out free breakfast (frequently microwaved in a plastic bag). Fairly obvious what I'm dreaming about there, isn't it?
Old 03-13-2010, 09:28 PM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Flying/Running
When I dream, I'm often able to fly clumsily by sort of running in place and kicking at the air in a certain way. It's very tiring, so I can't do it for long, but I always seem to need to do it when I need to escape from something awful, or when I need to get somewhere quickly, so it's always a frustrating experience, and never a 'whoohoo! i can fly!' sort of thing.
When I fly in my dreams, it's never like Superman-type flying either.

It's like, I jump up, and then sort of will myself not to fall. And usually instead I sort of glide forward, but moving slowly downwards. Sometimes I spin around too.

Sometimes I try harder, and after doing the gliding thing for a little bit, I'm able to fly more normally. Although never really fast and superhero-like. But sometimes I work up to a decent speed.

Sometimes I have dreams where I'm flying about like that, getting on the tops of buildings and stuff, and either I'm trying hard not to be noticed just because, you know, I'm the world's only flying man, or there are people actively looking for me. One time I was doing that all about some building in an unknown city, based on the Cathedral of Learning (which I had seen when I visited the Univ. of Pittsburgh's linguistics program last year).
Thanks, from:
Gonzo (03-28-2010)
Old 03-14-2010, 06:51 PM
California Sober

erimir, yours sounds like a Mario (ha!) kind of flying. Like in the raccoon suit, or the thing Princess Peach can do with her parasol in Paper Mario.

I dreamed last night that some kind of vampire or cannibal or some human with all kinds of blood all around his mouth was trying to catch me and eat me. I was able to close myself into a room with doors so he couldn't get to me, but the doors were glass so he could still see me and I could see him, so I was like "great, I just trapped myself in here" and all the while I could see his gross mouth with blood all over it. :shudder:

Then this morning I dreamed I got on the phone with the transcript clearinghouse that is still holding up my transcripts from USC for some reason, which is an actual task that I need to accomplish, but it's the weekend so I wish my subconscious would give me a break until Monday at least.
Gonzo (03-28-2010)
Old 03-14-2010, 07:22 PM
A fellow sophisticate

I must have been dreaming when I was awakened by my cellphone's imitation submarine dive alarm alarm at 03:50 AM CDT. Normally the selection buttons on the Blackberry's screen read something like "Snooze" and "Cancel Alarm" while the alarm is going off, but I swear they read "Friend" and "Enemy". Of course, I selected "Enemy" on that noisy bastard, which canceled the alarm, naturally.

The dream I woke up from was a strange one. I don't remember a great deal of specific detail about people or what might have been said at this point, but it involved a house made up of a series of rooms laid out in a linear fashion in a hollowed out cliff overlooking the ocean. It was snowing. It was dark inside the house, the only light was muted daylight coming in through windows. I went out and got in my Trailblazer, started driving down the hill to the left (as you face the ocean). The road was cut into the side of a cliff. Toward the bottom, there was a tight switchback turn to the right, one I had to stop then back up to get that long son-of-a-bitch around, making sure I had it in four wheel drive. The snow was starting to stick to the road.

Once down by the ocean shore, the road was atop a low concrete seawall for several hundred yards, with a jetty or dock or fishing pier perpendicular to the seawall out into the ocean with several small haphazard structures on it, a bait shop, a cafe, and some others. There were waves 10-12 feet high smashing the seawall and dock or whatever it was. The sea spray was freezing onto railings, buildings, signs, the sidewalk along the top of the wall, and part of the road, and on lights on electric wires swaying in the gale. In places, the dirty ice was all the way across the roadway. I drove slowly past all this, seeing people in Nor'easter jackets and London Fog rain coats holding their coats closed with one hand, and their hat on with their other hand, scurrying across the roadway toward the buildings on the pier. I drove on.

At the end of the seawall, the road went up a little hill, a spit of land protruding out into the ocean, with a small hill, maybe 70-80 feet all on the ocean side of the road, then curved to the right and back down following the shoreline of a small bay. Through the snow and sea spray I could see a small village at the other end of the bay, nestled into a little valley at the foot of much larger hills to the landward side and beyond. The biggest hill blocked any view there might have been further down shore, the road seemingly ending at the village or turning up the valley behind it. The rocky hills and hillocks had green grass on them, but snow was beginning to accumulate on the grass, but I could still see it was green and it was grass. That was the end of the dream, apparently the submarine dived and the noisy cellphone alarm asked me if it was a friend or an enemy. Enemy, of course.
Thanks, from:
Corona688 (03-15-2010), Qingdai (03-14-2010), S.Vashti (03-14-2010), Stormlight (03-26-2010)
Old 03-15-2010, 03:55 PM
Vice Cobra Assistant Commander

My SO and I were discussing dreams over the weekend and I realized that there is a weird recurring feature to my dreams. I am (almost?) never able to run in them. When I try, I stumble, or I'm unable to take full strides and have to sort of hobble along, or my feet slide backwards with each step, and I can't move above a walking pace. However, I'm sometimes able to drop to all fours and move quickly that way. I wonder if the dreaming part of brains (or, at least, my brain) is more directly connected to some older portion of the motor control part of the brain, so that it more readily imagines that sort of movement?
Thanks, from:
Gonzo (03-28-2010)
Old 03-15-2010, 04:02 PM
nominalistic existential pragmaticist

Don't think so. I've been running around lately in my dreams, doing a bit of parkour, and generally racing all over the place recently. No flying, though.

Maybe just your brain? I'm thinking, probably not-at least in the way you describe it. It's more likely that running isn't an important symbol your brain uses to interpret data. (Here, I'm thinking that REM is mostly the higher functions of the brain interpreting the random noise that's generated by your sleeping body.)
Thanks, from:
Adam (03-15-2010), Gonzo (03-28-2010)
Old 03-15-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I am (almost?) never able to run in them. When I try, I stumble, or I'm unable to take full strides and have to sort of hobble along, or my feet slide backwards with each step, and I can't move above a walking pace.
Maybe you're physically trying to move your limbs during the dream. And the paralysis the brain does to keep you from running into walls while asleep makes you feel like you're running in quicksand or can't get around. (I think I read about that somewhere, either from TLR or an article someone linked to.)

Quote:
However, I'm sometimes able to drop to all fours and move quickly that way.
And maybe you're lying on your back at this point so moving your limbs in a crawl is allowed?

:girlthink:
Adam (03-15-2010)
Old 03-15-2010, 10:44 PM
Coffin Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonDee View Post
And maybe you're lying on your back at this point

:girlthink:
That's something that doesn't merit thinking about. :nojustno:
Stormlight (03-26-2010)
Old 03-26-2010, 08:01 AM
A fellow sophisticate

Yesterday morning, I woke up after only being asleep for about 2 hours. I looked at the alarm clock and saw that it was 10:25 AM. Beyond where the alarm clock was on the night stand, I thought I saw my wife standing in the dark closet, gray sweater over dark pants. She was facing the other way, kind of rocking. It appeared she was holding a baby in a print baby blanket partly over her shoulder. As I tried to focus my sleepy eyes, she slowly rotated around to face me. I could see her eye sockets were were just black holes in her very gray face and the baby blanket over hear head like a hood or scarf. This vision was freakishly scary-looking. I shook my head hard, the hallucination disappeared. I was able to go back to sleep, but it took quite a while.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:04 PM
California Sober

Adam (03-26-2010), BrotherMan (03-26-2010), Sock Puppet (03-26-2010), Stormlight (03-31-2010), Watser? (03-26-2010)
Old 03-27-2010, 06:45 AM
ŧiggermonkey

I swear to dog, I have weird dreams every night (that I wake up remembering them), so, honestly, it's become all the same to me. :shrug:

I'm glad when I wake up NOT remembering what I dreamed. :chuckle:
Old 03-27-2010, 02:08 PM
Coffin Creep

I had a dream this morning where I wasn't actually in the dream, just an observer. That happens frequently. It had something to do with combat archaeology that turned into a reality show at the end.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:35 PM
California Sober

I dreamed I went to check on my new roses and they were gone.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:43 PM
Coffin Creep

nom nom nom
Stormlight (03-31-2010)
Old 03-27-2010, 02:43 PM
California Sober

:giggles:
Old 03-28-2010, 01:21 AM
It's however you interpret the question...

Location: On A Savage Journey to the Heart of the American Dream

In honor of Wrestlemania 26 tomorrow, when chairmen of the WWE is scheduled to fight Bret the Hitman Hart in a no disqualification match, I post a dream I had several weeks ago.

VINCE HIGH DIVE SWERVE
The dream starts with a challenge:
The two bravest people in every United States voting district should step right up for the greatest Fear Factor-esque dare challenge of all time. Two competitors, within a crowd of onlookers are meant to race up a giant ramp of an obstacle course. The most vibrant parts are colorful climbing pegs that one must fashion their feet upon while grabbing the higher up ones to pull themselves up and scale the wall. There are all sorts of strange sections as well, but the very exciting and death-defying obstacle lies at the end. A giant diving board, some 100 feet in the sky overlooking a giant pool. The competitors are meant to race to the top, and be the first to take a successful jump. All televised. Some haziness and it is revealed that none other than Vince McMachon is the only person in his district with enough guts to take the challenge. He makes a grand appearance, and is followed by a mob of escorts and cameramen every step of the way after having taking a grand stride from a limosine making an undeniable appearance. Having no challenger, no one with the courage to go against him, he, dressed in a full length suit (as usual) begins to scale the obstacle ramp to the top. He is followed, however, by a half dozen or so police men, fire fighters, and body guards, who assist him every step of the way. He makes his laudy way up every step of the way, and the whole time graces the cameras with a cocky half-smirk of self-assurance while a crowd of people below roar. "Why, easy as cake" he seems to feel. So as his helpers and servants and volunteers make sure the billionaire makes it to the top of his challenge with success, and situate his legs and hands guiding him up the wall, he gets closer and closer to his target. When he arrives, however, finally to the top of the high diving board, there is nobody to assist him, not a single soul. So does he jump? Well, Vince takes a big left take, followed by a big right take, and realizes there is nobody there to help him. His first reaction is to brush off both of his jacket shoulder pads and look down at the audience of peon ant-sized spectators, cheering for him to make the jump. Hiking up his pants and then hardly laughing, Vince pulls off his suit jacket and tosses it to his right, watching as it glide downwards in slow motion before plopping the water. Then, always with that same patented smile, he loosens and drops his tie, too.
Then he plummets. He jumps. HE FALLS. Right into a lofty suicide dive and flip, Vince goes channeling downward at high speed and at aerial view camera seems to fall with him. But as he comes closer and closer and closer the the giant pool below, he seems to accidentilly rearrange his trajectory and finds himself heading, not towards the pool, but toawards the concrete around the outer edges. Crowd roars morph to horrific screams and Vince's body shoots upright and he collides with the pavement, leg first. He grabs hold of his leg, in which every tendon and bone has been pulverized to a smithereen, and rocks forth hurling and weeping in pain, cradling his wound like a child. Identical, almost, to the leg injury of John Morrison in his match against R-Truth the night before. The only difference, nobody was there to help Vince. My head fumbles "IS THIS KAYFABE, OR WHAT!?". Then I awaken. Sources say McMahon won't be wrestling Bret Hart at Wrestlmania this year.

:thanked:
Thanks, from:
Adam (03-29-2010), Corona688 (08-08-2010), Stormlight (03-31-2010)
Old 03-28-2010, 01:33 AM
A fellow sophisticate

When I woke at the crack of 11:30 this morning I was dreaming of Jenny* with the light brown hair, a big house in the woods, being in love, kissing on a tractor, and a big toolbox full of sand and mud.

*Jennifer Garner
Old 03-31-2010, 04:12 AM
Vaginally-privileged sociopathic cultist

I was a caterer on a movie set, and I met Jeff Goldblum. I snuck into his room later that night (everyone slept in a house near the set, you see) and we stayed up all night talking. We fell madly in love, and everyone commented on our chemistry together.

I wound up doing some sort of Dateline interview. I knitted through the thing*.

Then, as I was reading him some story one night, I slipped into the characters (I do this quite easily, actually) without realizing it. Jeff got me an agent and some auditions.

...Jeff Goldblum? He was sexy in Jurassic Park, but... why?

*My aunt once attempted to teach me how to knit. It didn't work.

Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium