Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 03-15-2011, 06:14 PM
Solipsist

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Ladyshea is not being bitter, she's being cynical. You've mentioned the trolls that come online. People turning up and pronouncing a mystery without any personal introduction are quite common too, and routinely disappointing.
I get that, but please don't put everyone in the same category, or else you'll lose the baby with the bathwater.
Asking you to say something more about yourself and to introduce the ideas briefly is, I find, a very good way of distinguishing baby from bathwater.

Quote:
Who was asking for a commitment?
You were, here:
Quote:
but please refrain from making premature conclusions, as best as you can.
and here:
Quote:
but I do require some interest. If you are interested I would not hesitate to give you the link to an amazing discovery.

Quote:
I was only sharing a book that is online.
But you didn't share the book. That's pretty annoying.

Quote:
I never expected the caustic reaction I got.
Sad as it may be, I think the onus is on the poster to distinguish herself from all the woo bathwater out there when diving straight in with the message at a new forum.

Have you not found this at other forums?

Joe

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (03-15-2011), Naru (03-15-2011), Stormlight (03-16-2011), The Man (03-15-2011)
Old 03-15-2011, 06:18 PM
Solipsist

Quote:
You are too angry for me to even communicate with you.
Yes, LadyShea has a serious anger management problem. :wtfsign:

Thanks, from:
LadyShea (04-20-2011)
Old 03-15-2011, 06:20 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

The secret to world peace is to be really patronizing and evasive, and then to get butthurt and insult people when they call you on it.
Thanks, from:
Adam (03-15-2011), But (10-19-2017), ceptimus (11-07-2012), chunksmediocrites (03-16-2011), Crumb (03-15-2011), Deadlokd (03-15-2011), Doctor X (03-15-2011), erimir (03-16-2011), irukandji (03-16-2011), Kael (03-16-2011), LadyShea (03-15-2011), Leesifer (03-16-2011), Naru (03-15-2011), Nullifidian (03-15-2011), Pan Narrans (03-16-2011), Qingdai (03-15-2011), SharonDee (03-15-2011), Sock Puppet (03-22-2011), specious_reasons (03-15-2011), Stephen Maturin (03-16-2011), Stormlight (03-16-2011), The Man (03-15-2011), vremya (03-16-2011), Watser? (03-15-2011), Ymir's blood (03-15-2011)
Old 03-15-2011, 06:25 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

I hope you'll stay and participate peacegirl. I guarantee your ideas will be examined and critiqued, which most scholarly types consider a good thing. As to whether you'll appreciate the criticisms or be able to handle having to defend the work, well so far I wouldn't lay odds on that.
Thanks, from:
The Man (03-15-2011)
Old 03-15-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
The secret to world peace is to be really patronizing and evasive, and then to get butthurt and insult people when they call you on it.
Well it worked for the Jews. . . .

. . . oh, wait, this is not a Brandon Sophia "The Jews Took My Pony!" thread?

--J.D.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:26 PM
Solipsist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
That's a very good point, lisarea. Very insightful of you to raise it.

Thanks, from:
Ymir's blood (03-15-2011)
Old 03-15-2011, 06:28 PM
Solipsist

Wait, I've got one ... it's a "revolution" in thought because we keep hearing the same kind of thing. It keeps coming back. Like a stuck record.

Oh, never mind. Lisarea's old enough to understand.

Thanks, from:
lisarea (03-15-2011), Naru (03-15-2011), Nullifidian (03-15-2011), SharonDee (03-15-2011), The Man (03-15-2011)
Old 03-15-2011, 06:42 PM

Also you came the same week as newnature and teknix and it had been a while since we had multiple drive by woo. It seemed un-coincidental.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:55 PM
It's however you interpret the question...

Location: On A Savage Journey to the Heart of the American Dream

Quote:
I guarantee your ideas will be examined and critiqued
Why do you hate World Peace, LadyShea?

:thanked:
Thanks, from:
Deadlokd (03-15-2011), JoeP (03-16-2011), Stormlight (03-16-2011), vremya (03-16-2011)
Old 03-15-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
You are getting the reaction you are because you didn't just say: "I think this book contains important ideas and would love to discuss them <link>" AFTER having introduced yourself and participated here at :ff: a bit.

You came in like a spammer or drive-by nutter
I actually thought I was right to the point. I think I was pretty close to what you just said. Whether I say 'important ideas' or 'ideas that will prevent war and crime' doesn't warrant the reaction I got. I am sorry you took my introduction the wrong way.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:16 PM

I do not see how this:

Quote:
Hi everyone,

I wanted to share with the members a book that is a true revolution in thought because this knowledge leads to an alteration of environmental conditions, making war and crime an impossibility, and therefore redefines what was possible at an earlier time. I hope this brings interest because it is absolutely and positively a breakthrough that has yet to be uncovered.
cannot be perceived as a drive-by. Not even a reference to the work in question. First post a New Thread.

--J.D.
Thanks, from:
JoeP (03-16-2011), Stormlight (03-16-2011)
Old 03-15-2011, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
Your conclusions are completely off base. I haven't put up a website because I wasn't ready. That has nothing to do with anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
You weren't ready? You are, instead, ready to let someone's forum host it for you? You were ready to publish it and charge 41.00 for a paperback? That makes no sense.
Quote:
I guess you don't know much about POD publishing. You know how much royalty I make from that $41.00? Would you believe $.46?
Quote:
As I said, I think you're probably a nice person, but you're approaching this all wrong. You received similar receptions elsewhere it looks like, doesn't that tell you something?
There is nothing I can say that won't get a reaction; but yours was extreme.

Quote:
Put it out there and let it get hashed over, we don't employ skepticism as a protective mechanism against phony stuff or whatever you think is going on.

ETA: I am not angry at all, in fact I am amused. You need to learn to take the hits that are bound to come when you have new ideas.
I have taken my share of hits and it doesn't make me any less irritated when people put the cart before the horse.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:18 PM

When all you provide is a cart, it is rather hard to put a horse behind it.

--J.D.
Thanks, from:
Deadlokd (03-15-2011), Dingfod (03-16-2011), JoeP (03-16-2011), LadyShea (05-28-2014), Stormlight (03-16-2011)
Old 03-15-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:

I actually thought I was right to the point. I think I was pretty close to what you just said. Whether I say 'important ideas' or 'ideas that will prevent war and crime' doesn't warrant the reaction I got. I am sorry you took my introduction the wrong way.

You didn't get right to the point because you didn't include the link to the book and you didn't even mention the subject matter of it. You also didn't bother to get to know us at all by posting a regular intro and participating a little first.

Are you really surprised that you appeared to be just another nutter with an idea?
Thanks, from:
Crumb (03-15-2011), Deadlokd (03-15-2011), specious_reasons (03-15-2011), The Man (03-15-2011)
Old 03-15-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Also you came the same week as newnature and teknix and it had been a while since we had multiple drive by woo. It seemed un-coincidental.
I have no idea who these people are. I can understand the reason you would compare me to newcomers who might be spamming. It, once again, tells us that we all need to be more careful before making snap judgments.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:25 PM

[quote=LadyShea;924153]
Quote:

Quote:
You didn't get right to the point because you didn't include the link to the book and you didn't even mention the subject matter of it. You also didn't bother to get to know us at all by posting a regular intro and participating a little first.
Guilty as charged. I am here to share a book and I didn't think it necessary to beat around the bush by introducing myself (which has nothing to do with the content) and doubt if it would change anyone's skepticism.

Quote:
Are you really surprised that you appeared to be just another nutter with an idea?
Yes, I am surprised because I am me; I am not other people and have no idea how many others come online with big ideas that don't hold weight.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:28 PM

"This is just a saga now!"

--Papa Lazaru

Hey, kids! Here is a fun idea! Why not cease bickering and moaning about "who killed who" and explain what book it is, what it argues, why this is relevant to anything, why we should care, et cetera?

--J. "Is Dave There?" D.
Thanks, from:
ChuckF (03-15-2011), chunksmediocrites (03-16-2011), Dingfod (03-16-2011), Kael (03-16-2011), Stormlight (03-16-2011)
Old 03-15-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor X View Post

--J.D.
I liked that. :wink: The reason I didn't come right out and give the link is because on a few other websites the link has been removed unless I have given at least 2 or more posts, or if someone asks me for the link. Some administrators definitely consider that spam, which is unfortunate.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
The reason I didn't come right out and give the link is because on a few other websites the link has been removed unless I have given at least 2 or more posts, or if someone asks me for the link. Some administrators definitely consider that spam, which is unfortunate.
:blank:

--J.D.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:31 PM
The cat that will listen

You still haven't actually shared the book or the ideas within it. I'm not going to click any links that posters haven't bothered to blurb out enough for me to pique my interest.

Heck, I don't read most links or play most videos, even from people whose interactions I believe are sincere and who I respect their contributions.

So. What is so revolutionary about this thought?
Thanks, from:
Javaman (03-19-2011), JoeP (03-16-2011), LadyShea (03-15-2011), Stormlight (03-16-2011), The Man (03-15-2011)
Old 03-15-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Guilty as charged. I am here to share a book and I didn't think it necessary to beat around the bush by introducing myself (which has nothing to do with the content) and doubt if it would change anyone's skepticism.
People are less likely to immediately brush off ideas presented by people they know and like, just as they are more likely to be hostile to the sudden appearance of strangers selling or offering something they didn't seek. This is communicating with humans 101 stuff.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, I am surprised because I am me; I am not other people and have no idea how many others come online with big ideas that don't hold weight.
This is the Internet, which you've been on a while now, apparently, and it exists on the Earth, which you have also been on for some time.

You can hardly type any single word into Google without coming across some Big Idea! From 2012 prophecies, to the Time Cube, to proposed nations where sex slavery is legal and encouraged, to quack medicine and the various Spooky Mulders. People knock on our doors with soap or salvation or Opportunities! to sell. How do you not know this?

Look, if you want to bungle around the web for a few more years hoping someone will become enlightened by osmosis, by all means continue what you are doing. If you want this idea to be seriously considered and examined by seriously smart people, pick up some basic social skills.

You may think I am a bitch, and you might be right depending on your definition of bitch, but I am actually trying to help you.
Thanks, from:
Deadlokd (03-15-2011), Dingfod (03-16-2011), Naru (03-15-2011), The Man (03-15-2011)
Old 03-15-2011, 07:48 PM

Here's the book Decline and Fall of All Evil (.pdf) it is about determinism vs. free will
Thanks, from:
Deadlokd (03-15-2011), The Man (03-15-2011)
Old 03-15-2011, 08:27 PM
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer

I had a scan through, and so far it is not very promising. Determinism leads to a logical lack of blame, and since all human actions are ultimately deterministic, we would no longer need such things as blame. All that needs to happen is for everyone to feel that all actions are determined, and all evil will work itself out because we learn to see them as determined reactions to stimuli, not as evil.

This person has obviously never lived in a real-life commune. The problem is that you can have the most marvelous system, but unfortunately a single jerk can bring a system full of idealists to a grinding halt and ruin the whole show.

Also, this system does not account for the variance in natures that you see in the human condition - deterministic or not, all people are not the same. This is not determined by their environment alone, but by a combination of environment and their genetic make-up.

Criticism - this takes the author 62 pages of woolly prose. There is a lot of talk that rejecting his ideas mean that you have a closed mind - something of which I will probably soon be accused.

My conclusion so far is that this is woo woo. I may look at it later, possibly as an antidote to insomnia.
Thanks, from:
ceptimus (11-07-2012), Deadlokd (03-15-2011), Doctor X (03-15-2011), JoeP (03-16-2011), Kael (03-16-2011), LadyShea (03-15-2011), Nullifidian (03-17-2011), Stormlight (03-16-2011), The Man (03-15-2011), Ymir's blood (03-15-2011)
Old 03-15-2011, 08:36 PM

Thanks Viv
Quote:
There is a lot of talk that rejecting his ideas mean that you have a closed mind
That's one of the hallmarks of woo right there.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor X View Post

--J.D.
I liked that. :wink: The reason I didn't come right out and give the link is because on a few other websites the link has been removed unless I have given at least 2 or more posts, or if someone asks me for the link. Some administrators definitely consider that spam, which is unfortunate.
Oh look, a clue-by -four. They consider it spam because it looks just like spam. Maybe you should consider a tactic change.
Thanks, from:
chunksmediocrites (03-16-2011), Nullifidian (03-17-2011)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy