Reality Adventurer

Default Re: EduTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kael View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalist.atheist View Post
I certainly lack your sense of humor. I bet you laugh when someone says the word 'duty'.
I have no idea what the second sentence means.
A bit of dated pop-culture humor. 'duty' sounds similar to a particular euphemism for poop. Usually it is the dim character or the stoner who finds it amusing.
Dated or not, did you miss that it was a poke at his 'Tyson' joke? Since he apparently thinks that confusing things with similar names is funny. But I guess he only finds it funny when he does it.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:42 PM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Until he can overcome this barrier to his thought process, I don't see the point in trying. The fact that n.a often seems to lack a sense of humor about himself, much like you as a matter of fact, only heightens the enjoyment of using jokes and satire.
That cuts both ways Kael. I often find amusement at how upset you'all get when I speak poorly of your sacred philosophy. And at how much trouble its adherents go to, such as davidm goes to, to defend it. He went to way too much trouble to concoct that elaborate 'duty' joke to try to gloss over that there are thoughtful people who have good reasons to think that philosophy is a waste of time.

Last edited by naturalist.atheist; 12-04-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:31 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I certainly lack your sense of humor. I bet you laugh when someone says the word 'duty'.
A bit of dated pop-culture humor. 'duty' sounds similar to a particular euphemism for poop. Usually it is the dim character or the stoner who finds it amusing.
Dated or not, did you miss that it was a poke at his 'Tyson' joke? Since he apparently thinks that confusing things with similar names is funny. But I guess he only finds it funny when he does it.

Uh, no, the similarity of names was a springboard to the satire, wherein lies the humor (not in the similarity of names).

But then, you are thick as a plank, as ever.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:32 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
Quote:
Until he can overcome this barrier to his thought process, I don't see the point in trying. The fact that n.a often seems to lack a sense of humor about himself, much like you as a matter of fact, only heightens the enjoyment of using jokes and satire.
That cuts both ways Kael. I often find amusement at how upset you'all get when I speak poorly of your sacred philosophy. And at how much trouble its adherents go to, such as davidm goes to, to defend it. He went to way too much trouble to concoct that elaborate 'duty' joke to try to gloss over that there are thoughtful people who have good reasons to think that philosophy is a waste of time.
It was no trouble at all. It took me five minutes to write. And it's purpose was not to defend philosophy. It was to crack me up, which it did and does. :D

My, my, my! Thick, thick, thick!
Old 12-04-2010, 07:46 PM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Uh, no, the similarity of names was a springboard to the satire, wherein lies the humor (not in the similarity of names).

But then, you are thick as a plank, as ever.
I guess I am so thick as to think that it would have been just as funny if instead of Mike Tyson in your mock interview it was deGrasse Tyson. That confusing one person with another was not key to the "joke". Like say in the "duty" joke.

Now of course humor must be philosophy since everything is philosophy, so that is why I do not understand that mocking one Tyson by confusing them with another Tyson because one of them may not think much of philosophy has gotta be hilarious. And not a knee jerk reaction of the faithful because someone who is considered thoughtful just might not think much of philosophy.

Nahhh, it can't be that at all. I must be "thick as a plank".
Old 12-05-2010, 10:07 AM
Mr. Condescending Dick Nose

Quote:
The fact that n.a often seems to lack a sense of humor about himself, much like you as a matter of fact, only heightens the enjoyment of using jokes and satire.
This makes you sound like a bully. All social bullying would be justified if "the joke is he doesn't think it's as funny as we do" were any kind of excuse.

I don't see anything wrong at all with poking fun at that ...
Me neither.

... and though davidm's attempt did not leave me holding my sides and peeing myself ...
Me neither. I thought it was a bit strained and desperate-sounding, as if davidm was insecure about something - maybe his ability to construct a better argument?
Old 12-05-2010, 03:27 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickthinks View Post

Me neither. I thought it was a bit strained and desperate-sounding, as if davidm was insecure about something - maybe his ability to construct a better argument?
I thought it was hilarious. :D

But then, I don't imagine insanely literal, humorless narcissists would find anything very humorous.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:38 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

What have you done to my beautiful thread?! :whygod:
Adam (12-07-2010), ceptimus (12-06-2010), Deadlokd (12-06-2010), lisarea (12-05-2010), SharonDee (12-05-2010), Stormlight (12-08-2010), Watser? (12-07-2010)
Old 12-05-2010, 05:47 PM
the internet says I'm right

Quote:
Now of course humor must be philosophy since everything is philosophy
See, this is exactly what I'm talking about. I've tried several times to proffer an exacting and suitably narrow definition of philosophy for the purposes of discussing it in the various threads where you've decided to express your disdain, but you keep hauling out this chestnut.

You do realize that by doing so you are deliberately committing exactly the same error you rail against, despite the fact that no one involved in those discussions is making that error? Are you actually willing to discuss anything with the word 'philosophy' in it, or will you continually shout 'but SOME PEOPLE say EVERYTHING is philosophy!!!1!' every time the discussion threatens to penetrate that shell of loathing you have for the word?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickthinks
All social bullying would be justified if "the joke is he doesn't think it's as funny as we do" were any kind of excuse.
But that's not the joke, mick. Humor is very subjective and always difficult to explain, I know, but the joke must stand on its own first. That someone directly or indirectly involved or targeted by the joke is unable or unwilling to laugh at themselves may heighten whatever humor value, if any, the joke already had, but if it didn't have any to begin with, if I didn't already find it funny, then that wouldn't change it.

For what it's worth, I actually agree that such targeted joking can be bullying. It isn't always, and here again if the target is unable to laugh at themselves that is incidental. It neither changes the humor value nor whether I would classify the incident as bullying.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:39 PM
the internet says I'm right

Sorry, Crumb. Here's a good one about the evolution of cats to make up for it.

Thanks, from:
Crumb (12-05-2010), mulebear (12-05-2010), Sonoma Bear (12-05-2010)
Old 12-05-2010, 07:17 PM
Spiffiest wanger

It should be noted that the little satirical riff I wrote was not directed at anyone; not even Natty and certainly not Mickey. I just got to thinking about what might transpire if Mike Tyson talked about philosophy on "Larry King Live," and it wrote itself. :D

Wow, just amazing how Natty and Mickey have got their shorts in a knot over an innocent bit of fun. Really amusing to see Mickey trying to psychoanalyze my motives in the post; this from someone who is constantly objecting to others imparting motives to him. :lol:
Old 12-05-2010, 07:47 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
I must be "thick as a plank".
:yay:
Old 12-05-2010, 08:14 PM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Quote:
Now of course humor must be philosophy since everything is philosophy
See, this is exactly what I'm talking about. I've tried several times to proffer an exacting and suitably narrow definition of philosophy for the purposes of discussing it in the various threads where you've decided to express your disdain, but you keep hauling out this chestnut.

You do realize that by doing so you are deliberately committing exactly the same error you rail against, despite the fact that no one involved in those discussions is making that error? Are you actually willing to discuss anything with the word 'philosophy' in it, or will you continually shout 'but SOME PEOPLE say EVERYTHING is philosophy!!!1!' every time the discussion threatens to penetrate that shell of loathing you have for the word?
You got all that from this thread? Because it looked to me like davidm just couldn't stand the idea that anyone that he might possibly respect intellectually would not think his precious philosophy was all peaches and cream.

Maybe you should read the thread.

I would say that this post:

Quote:
Quote:
If true, that would make Tyson an idiot, then. Are you sure you aren't referring to Mike Tyson?

As for Dawkins, every philosphically educated person, including atheist philosophers, know what a joke his "God Delusion" book was.
and then the ensuing Mike Tyson post would say it all.

Now think what you like about my abilities to accept something but perhaps you need to examine your own abilities when it comes to accepting that I have a very low opinion of philosophy.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:34 PM
Some days it's not worth chewing through the straps.

Thanks, from:
Doctor X (12-06-2010), lisarea (12-06-2010), Nullifidian (12-08-2010), SharonDee (12-06-2010)
Old 12-06-2010, 09:56 AM

She needs to add a little bit of BOURBON to ENHANCE the FLAVOR!!

--J.D.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:40 PM
Not as smart as Adam

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadlokd View Post
Why was "The God Delusion" a joke? Philosophically speaking?
Pay davidm no attention. He is just doing philosophy. You see the way philosophers determine what is and is not philosophy is by insult. This is why davidm likes philosophy so much.
Yep, let's do some philosophy.

Debunking Dawkins.
That's philosophy is it?

On the abundance of atheists in science:

Quote:
Another possible source for the initial surplus of atheists is pure chance. For example, the top universities might have happened to recruit more atheists than usual for a short time. (This is what mathematicians call a statistical fluctuation.)
How about that? It isn't because scientists realise that god isn't necessary and is also a human construct, it's just a statistical anomaly.

To prove the argument from design:

Quote:
To see how questionable the argument is, compare it to the following argument about the human brain: Human thought is simply a resultant of small natural events involving neurons and their connections. None of these events involves any design; each of them is mechanistic, fully obeys all natural laws, and is caused by other natural events. Therefore, the products of human thought cannot really be products of design.

If we applied the skeptics' standard for design to the human brain instead of to Earth's biosphere, we would conclude that humans never designed anything! So much for Michelangelo and Edison!
Because the human brain is a result of chemistry it cannot design anything; ergo everything is designed!

Now this is just a quick flick through the writings....scrawlings....I don't know what they are. But I do notice that he has some books for sale, God and Darwin - Buddies! and God, Son of Quark. And I guess if you're trying to sell some books you need some publicity and attacking a reputable author tends to generate publicity. Usually.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:40 PM
Not as smart as Adam

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Pay davidm no attention. He is just doing philosophy. You see the way philosophers determine what is and is not philosophy is by insult. This is why davidm likes philosophy so much.

Debunking Dawkins.
That's philosophy is it?

Quote:
Another possible source for the initial surplus of atheists is pure chance. For example, the top universities might have happened to recruit more atheists than usual for a short time. (This is what mathematicians call a statistical fluctuation.)
How about that? It isn't because scientists realise that god isn't necessary and is also a human construct, it's just a statistical anomaly.

To prove the argument from design:

Quote:
To see how questionable the argument is, compare it to the following argument about the human brain: Human thought is simply a resultant of small natural events involving neurons and their connections. None of these events involves any design; each of them is mechanistic, fully obeys all natural laws, and is caused by other natural events. Therefore, the products of human thought cannot really be products of design.

If we applied the skeptics' standard for design to the human brain instead of to Earth's biosphere, we would conclude that humans never designed anything! So much for Michelangelo and Edison!
Because the human brain is a result of chemistry it cannot design anything; ergo everything is designed!

Now this is just a quick flick through the writings....scrawlings....I don't know what they are. But I do notice that he has some books for sale, God and Darwin - Buddies! and God, Son of Quark. And I guess if you're trying to sell some books you need some publicity and attacking a reputable author tends to generate publicity. Usually.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:29 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Debunking Dawkins.
That's philosophy is it?

Quote:
Uh, no.

He said it was a POSSIBLE source (among possibly many) for the abundance of atheists in science.

And, scientists don't REALIZE anything of the kind. Scientists construct predictive models about emprically observed regularities.

And, I won't go on with the rest. I'm already done with you, except as a possible future source of satire. I'm tired of wasting time with idiots on the Internet :wave:
Old 12-07-2010, 12:42 AM
Not as smart as Adam

Seriously David? That's the extent of your philosophical discourse? Good grief, you're as bad as mickthinks. No wonder you two get on so well.

Getting back to your main man there, yes of course Dawkins points out the bad in religion. Of course he doesn't like it. But your man thinks that those two points discredits everything Dawkins has written in The God Delusion. Sheesh, he's really going to have to try harder if he want to sell his Quarks.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:50 AM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Debunking Dawkins.
That's philosophy is it?
Apparently it is, because davidm says so.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:26 AM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

Quote:
It would have been much funnier if it had been Tyson Chicken instead of Mike Tyson. Because of the chicken, of course.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:54 AM
Some days it's not worth chewing through the straps.

Did anyone notice that Julia Child had a recipe for Primordial Soup?

Hmmmm... I wonder where I could find a video of that. :chin:
Old 12-23-2010, 10:14 PM
Dogehlaugher -Scrutari

Hans Rosling was brought up before, but I just got this short little clip. Unlike the 20 minute clip put in before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbkSR...layer_embedded
Thanks, from:
ceptimus (12-29-2010), Stormlight (01-14-2011)
Old 01-14-2011, 02:32 AM
Quality Contributor

Old 02-01-2011, 05:02 AM
Banned for copyright violations

Quote:
I <3 the pwning you received here: :lol:

EduTube - Page 7 - Freethought Forum

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > The Sciences